The Ultimate 'Build-A-PC' Thread. Complete With Pricings & Recommendations (06/06/10)

Sigh - my son wants a PC to play Steam stuff on. I just used Boot Camp to partition off part of our 2009 iMac for Windows 7. It works for older stuff (like Planetside 2) but is not likely to hold up for long with anything new.

So I'm looking at either picking up a cheap PC ($500-range) or going this route and building something. I've never done it nor really have the desire to, but the CAG in me knows it is the way to go for the best value. I guess I'll have to start reading through this thing...

[quote name='io']Sigh - my son wants a PC to play Steam stuff on. I just used Boot Camp to partition off part of our 2009 iMac for Windows 7. It works for older stuff (like Planetside 2) but is not likely to hold up for long with anything new.

So I'm looking at either picking up a cheap PC ($500-range) or going this route and building something. I've never done it nor really have the desire to, but the CAG in me knows it is the way to go for the best value. I guess I'll have to start reading through this thing...[/QUOTE]

What resolution are you planning on playing at?

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']What resolution are you planning on playing at?[/QUOTE]

Eh - I figure for the most part just standard HD (1080p). I might output to the same TV he plays the 360 on. But I also have a completely unused Sony 3D display (that doesn't have to be used in 3D). I assume that is 1080p max. I don't believe I have anything in the house that can do any better, to be honest (even my relatively new PC display). But going forward maybe it would be important to go higher - but that definitely isn't a priority. I'd think decent frame rate and higher-end graphics (compared to a 360) at 1080p is fine. And simply the ability to run newer PC games without it looking terrible.

[quote name='io']Eh - I figure for the most part just standard HD (1080p). I might output to the same TV he plays the 360 on. But I also have a completely unused Sony 3D display (that doesn't have to be used in 3D). I assume that is 1080p max. I don't believe I have anything in the house that can do any better, to be honest (even my relatively new PC display). But going forward maybe it would be important to go higher - but that definitely isn't a priority. I'd think decent frame rate and higher-end graphics (compared to a 360) at 1080p is fine. And simply the ability to run newer PC games without it looking terrible.[/QUOTE]

Here's a build. I actually use a GTX 650 but I would recommend overclocking the card a bit to push some extra frames. The card is fantastic for the price. Past the OC'ed 650, the price:preformance decreases and it looks better than the 360 ;).

It is a little bit out of the $500 price that you said but you and your son will be pleased.

BTW the Sony 3D display is amazing. To fix the RLOD, turn the brightness down to 5 or 6. The sharpness of the blacks make text very easy on the eyes.

Hey guys I'm looking to buy my very first pc and need some help so far I am pretty positive I am going with an intel i7 processor 3770k. I need help choosing a motherboard and a power supply.

I have a few cases in mind either the[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] or the [/FONT]corsair carbide series 200r or the fractal design define R4 the first is on sale for 30 dollars after a mail in rebate the 2nd costs about 80 dollars. I heard the 2nd is better because of the sound damping but other than that not much else.

I would also like some advice on a power supply to buy I heard you should always buy gold certified and a cooling fan I was looking at the Noctua NH-d14. Any help from an experienced builder would be appreciated.

P.S. The case is only on sale for today the R4 so I am going to have to pick a case today most likely.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']Here's a build. I actually use a GTX 650 but I would recommend overclocking the card a bit to push some extra frames. The card is fantastic for the price. Past the OC'ed 650, the price:preformance decreases and it looks better than the 360 ;).

It is a little bit out of the $500 price that you said but you and your son will be pleased.

BTW the Sony 3D display is amazing. To fix the RLOD, turn the brightness down to 5 or 6. The sharpness of the blacks make text very easy on the eyes.[/QUOTE]

My Sony display died in the first 2 months I had it (about a year ago) and got fixed (or replaced) for free by Sony. We haven't used it AT ALL since then though. The kids were using it as a second display when the other was using the big TV but now my younger son doesn't play the PS3 much any more so we haven't needed it.

Thanks for the link. I guess I had an idea of all the components needed but it is nice to see them all laid out like that. The good news for me is that I don't have to buy Windows since I have an MSDN license. So I can just grab Windows 8 Pro from that. So that brings the total cost of that build under $500.

BTW, I can justify using my MSDN on that because the system can double as a testing machine for me for my work (which is developing custom applications for my company's software). My laptop is riddled with development software and debug versions of the code. I work off-site, so when I build an installer to send back to corporate I could use a test machine to run on a clean install of the base software to make sure everything works. I've had issues with then booting stuff back to me because I forgot a file or two in the installer in the past. So, yeah, I'm going with that ;).

[quote name='spiderman4657']Hey guys I'm looking to buy my very first pc and need some help so far I am pretty positive I am going with an intel i7 processor 3770k. I need help choosing a motherboard and a power supply.

I have a few cases in mind either the[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] or the [/FONT]corsair carbide series 200r or the fractal design define R4 the first is on sale for 30 dollars after a mail in rebate the 2nd costs about 80 dollars. I heard the 2nd is better because of the sound damping but other than that not much else.

I would also like some advice on a power supply to buy I heard you should always buy gold certified and a cooling fan I was looking at the Noctua NH-d14. Any help from an experienced builder would be appreciated.

P.S. The case is only on sale for today the R4 so I am going to have to pick a case today most likely.[/QUOTE]

Here goes the same old question.... Do you live near a MicroCenter?

Hey guys, I’ve recently built my gaming PC back in April, but I kind of went over my budget when I was building it. So at the time I decided to skimp out on a GPU, until I had the extra cash to spend. Well now that time is here, and I’m just looking for any advice on which card would be best for my setup.

My PC Specs:
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced
CPU: Core i7-3770K
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 extreme4
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600
PSU: CORSAIR AX850

I’m looking for a GPU in the price range of $300-$400. I have been waiting for the GTX 700 series, but going by the rumors those cards will be out of my price range & not that big of jump in performance from the current cards out there.
So right now I’m thinking on maybe getting either the Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 for $310 or 7970 for $400. How big of difference in performance is it between these two cards? Also, if I buy one of the cards off of Amazon, will I still be able to get the free games being offered from AMD? (The reason I ask is because Amazon doesn’t advertise the free games.)

[quote name='EraserFace']Hey guys, I’ve recently built my gaming PC back in April, but I kind of went over my budget when I was building it. So at the time I decided to skimp out on a GPU, until I had the extra cash to spend. Well now that time is here, and I’m just looking for any advice on which card would be best for my setup.

My PC Specs:

I’m looking for a GPU in the price range of $300-$400. I have been waiting for the GTX 700 series, but going by the rumors those cards will be out of my price range & not that big of jump in performance from the current cards out there.
So right now I’m thinking on maybe getting either the Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 for $310 or 7970 for $400. How big of difference in performance is it between these two cards? Also, if I buy one of the cards off of Amazon, will I still be able to get the free games being offered from AMD? (The reason I ask is because Amazon doesn’t advertise the free games.)[/QUOTE]

The AMD game codes should come with the gfx card regardless if Amazon doesn't mention them. The codes are given by AMD and not the retailers. Also because you have an i7 listed in your build, get a 7970. Pair the best with only the best!

[quote name='chaosbob86']Hey guys just got all my parts for my first rig wondering if I could get some input on how this will compare to next gen. Games are getting too expensive on consoles and I already have a cable box so I don't need xbox1. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Zjb1[/QUOTE]

Look into getting a FX-8xxx series. The FX series is not really representititve of their true cores and the 6xxx series is actually only a 3 core processor. Also welcome to PC gaming :D

[quote name='EraserFace']Hey guys, I’ve recently built my gaming PC back in April, but I kind of went over my budget when I was building it. So at the time I decided to skimp out on a GPU, until I had the extra cash to spend. Well now that time is here, and I’m just looking for any advice on which card would be best for my setup.

My PC Specs:

So right now I’m thinking on maybe getting either the Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 for $310 or 7970 for $400. How big of difference in performance is it between these two cards? Also, if I buy one of the cards off of Amazon, will I still be able to get the free games being offered from AMD? (The reason I ask is because Amazon doesn’t advertise the free games.)[/QUOTE]

If you are looking for price:performance, look here.

[quote name='j-cart']Look into getting a FX-8xxx series. The FX series is not really representititve of their true cores and the 6xxx series is actually only a 3 core processor. Also welcome to PC gaming :D[/QUOTE]

BTW that mobo doesn't support the 8xxx series 125W requirement. If chaosbob86 does want that mobo, I could give him a killer price. I bought it 2 hours away and didn't realize that it wouldn't support my 8320 until after I got home. Then I said fuck it and never returned it. It's been sitting on my shelf for 6 months now, still in the box.

[quote name='Shimrra']Anyone mess around with Alienware X51? At the cost of $699 it looks good but is it even worth it?[/QUOTE]

It's terrible. If it wasn't alienware, it would be a couple hundred dollars cheaper.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']It's terrible. If it wasn't alienware, it would be a couple hundred dollars cheaper.[/QUOTE]

Good to know :)

I'm looking at upgrading my video card, potentially because I might be skipping the new consoles this year depending on pricing and features.

This is my current PC:

Intel Core i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz
8GB RAM
GeForce GTX 460

I don't keep up with PC parts so I'm looking to upgrade and not spend a fortune. Maybe keep it to about $300 or less.

Suggestions?

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']Here goes the same old question.... Do you live near a MicroCenter?[/QUOTE]

Closest microcenter is in tustin I am about 40 min away.

hey guys, so i've been living with my pc for about 5 months now and it works great. thanks for all the recommendations you guys gave. Looking to the future, im begining to think about things i can buy to 'trick' out my pc. looking to you guys for suggestions.

For referance my pc is AMD phenom x2, HAF912 case, 120gb ssd, 2TB sata HDD, gigabyte 7850 gpu, corsair PSU, Bluray drive.

[quote name='chibilaharl']hey guys, so i've been living with my pc for about 5 months now and it works great. thanks for all the recommendations you guys gave. Looking to the future, im begining to think about things i can buy to 'trick' out my pc. looking to you guys for suggestions.

For referance my pc is AMD phenom x2, HAF912 case, 120gb ssd, 2TB sata HDD, gigabyte 7850 gpu, corsair PSU, Bluray drive.[/QUOTE]
Why not go for the i5 3770k over the amd processor?

[quote name='chibilaharl']hey guys, so i've been living with my pc for about 5 months now and it works great. thanks for all the recommendations you guys gave. Looking to the future, im begining to think about things i can buy to 'trick' out my pc. looking to you guys for suggestions.

For referance my pc is AMD phenom x2, HAF912 case, 120gb ssd, 2TB sata HDD, gigabyte 7850 gpu, corsair PSU, Bluray drive.[/QUOTE]

How much are you trying to spend?

[quote name='spiderman4657']Closest microcenter is in tustin I am about 40 min away.[/QUOTE]

Save money on the 3770k then.http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx

[quote name='spiderman4657']Why not go for the i5 3770k over the amd processor?[/QUOTE]

because the MOBO i bought was amd compatable at the time. And Im kinda just pricing things for now, looking to see what other things i can do with it. I probably wont do any upgrades for a few months, im just trying to plan and price cool things i could do to it.

Whhhhyyyyyyyyy are you looking to upgrade when you've only had your pc for 5 months??!!!

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']Whhhhyyyyyyyyy are you looking to upgrade when you've only had your pc for 5 months??!!![/QUOTE]

Im not looking to upgrade neccesarrily. Im curious at to what else i could put in my computre like a capture card, water cooling etc that would simply increase the badassness of my pc?

Not entirely sure where else to post this, but this seems like a good spot for the moment.

I'm going to have 2 sticks of practically brand new RAM (2x4GB DDR3 1600mhz) if anyone's interested. I ended up buying some RAM, as my cousin was going to give me some of the same ram but things got in the way of him mailing in a timely manner. I should have it next week...

Here's the RAM (Corsair Vengeance)

I simply don't need 16GB. It's pretty awesome ram (though beware the fins if using an aftermarket CPU heatsink).

Also, my FX-6300 build is complete. Love it so far.

[quote name='Rhett']Not entirely sure where else to post this, but this seems like a good spot for the moment.

I'm going to have 2 sticks of practically brand new RAM (2x4GB DDR3 1600mhz) if anyone's interested. I ended up buying some RAM, as my cousin was going to give me some of the same ram but things got in the way of him mailing in a timely manner. I should have it next week...

Here's the RAM (Corsair Vengeance)

I simply don't need 16GB. It's pretty awesome ram (though beware the fins if using an aftermarket CPU heatsink).

Also, my FX-6300 build is complete. Love it so far.[/QUOTE]

What kind of money are you looking for?

[quote name='spiderman4657']Hey guys I'm looking to buy my very first pc and need some help so far I am pretty positive I am going with an intel i7 processor 3770k. I need help choosing a motherboard and a power supply.

P.S. The case is only on sale for today the R4 so I am going to have to pick a case today most likely.[/QUOTE]
bump.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']What kind of money are you looking for?[/QUOTE]

Negotiable, but I guess around $60 + shipping? If it matters, it scored 7.7 on WEI, and is apparently overclockable, not that I would bother. I'm also interested in certain PC games that I've yet to own, and would consider trade.

Wish I could help, spiderman4657. Best I can offer is to go through things within your price range, on www.pcpartpicker.com and see what has the best reviews/compatibility. Don't go cheap on the PSU or the motherboard, for sure. I got a Corsair 500w and I love it, but I wish I got modular. And make sure the PSU is a good brand (like Corsair, and avoid Raidmax).

Any thoughts on this build:

http://www.gamersnexus.net/pc-builds/46-pcbuildupg/999-mid-range-budget-gaming-pc-2013

It looks like the 7850 comes with Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, and Far Cry Blood Dragon, all of which would be nice to have for the new machine (though both me and my son played Bioshock on the 360 already). It isn't clear if it comes when you buy it from TigerDirect, though, even though they are shown in one of the pictures. Newegg makes it pretty explicit though (in that you add them as a bundle) but they charge $40 more for the card...

This is all starting to get a little overwhelming - TOO MUCH freaking choice! ;)

[quote name='io']Any thoughts on this build:

http://www.gamersnexus.net/pc-builds/46-pcbuildupg/999-mid-range-budget-gaming-pc-2013

It looks like the 7850 comes with Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, and Far Cry Blood Dragon, all of which would be nice to have for the new machine (though both me and my son played Bioshock on the 360 already). It isn't clear if it comes when you buy it from TigerDirect, though, even though they are shown in one of the pictures. Newegg makes it pretty explicit though (in that you add them as a bundle) but they charge $40 more for the card...

This is all starting to get a little overwhelming - TOO MUCH freaking choice! ;)[/QUOTE]

I got the Sapphire 1GB 7850 OC and it's awesome so far. I haven't tested it with anything like Bioshock or Tomb Raider (though I did get the codes - came on a pamphlet in the box by newegg) however. It's eating up everything else though. Borderlands 2, GR:O, Chivalry... still installing games, though.

This XFX Double D 1GB is on sale currently. Not sure how long the coupon code lasts, but it comes out to $132.49 after $25 MIR. Use coupon: EMCXRVS26

My last card (8600GT) was an XFX, and they have a limited lifetime warranty. Can't go wrong with them, I don't think. Or dat price.

Edit: Didn't notice it was a "build"... It looks good though. My brother ordered his newest PC last year, and got that CPU. It's still holding up, and easily overclockable... One of -the- highest rated CPUs around. I, personally, got an FX-6300 as I wanted something more recent, without having to immediately feel like I wanted to overclock it. MSI's a highly reputable brand (so I hear) as is Corsair, so you should be good there...

Edit 2: Even cheaper, higher wattage OCZ PSU with $20 off coupon + $20 MIR ($45 after all is said and done) - The one in that particular build is OOS. Or you can use the one I'm using, at $50: Corsair CXW500 (no rebates, no coupons, and also not modular)

Edit 3: Aftermarket CPU cooler instead of that "liquid cooler" on the build... The Hyper 212+ EVO - Much cheaper, and highly rated. I don't have one, but my cousin + brother do.

Edit 4: I agree. I was overwhelmed as well. So many choices. And the stress when I put it together? Through the roof. :p (first build, had my brother do my first two... one DOA mobo each build, from Newegg...)

Last edited by a moderator:
See here I thought a graphics card was a graphics card but it seems like they are packaged up by third parties with fans and casing and such and that's why there are so many choices!

But yeah, I didn't know about that coupon code so that would make that a pretty sweet buy. Does that coupon work on the 2GB model? If so, I wonder if that isn't worth the $20-$30 extra.

Any comments on the Corsair Carbide 300R case? It isn't quite as cheap as it was when they put that build together in January.

[quote name='io']See here I thought a graphics card was a graphics card but it seems like they are packaged up by third parties with fans and casing and such and that's why there are so many choices!

But yeah, I didn't know about that coupon code so that would make that a pretty sweet buy. Does that coupon work on the 2GB model? If so, I wonder if that isn't worth the $20-$30 extra.

Any comments on the Corsair Carbide 300R case? It isn't quite as cheap as it was when they put that build together in January.[/QUOTE]

It looks like a nice cheap case... I used one of two I had laying around, though I wish I bought a new one as this one barely worked. The code very likely does not work on the 2GB model. I did a lot of reading, and though 2GB (if the price is right) is better in the long run, it only matters significantly if you are going to be gaming at 1080p or higher resolutions OR are using multiple monitors at the same time, for gaming. I'm using an older LCD monitor that only goes up to 1440x900, myself, so I wasn't worried about that.

As for the heatsinks on the GPUs, yeah, there are a lot... There's typically up to three different heatsinks/cards from particular brands too... (a single fan, a dual fan [quieter and more efficent], and something like "Frozr" [MSI] or "Ice-Q" [Sapphire] that is newer and even more efficient, but more expensive) but it should only matter if reviews of that particular card say it's loud, gets hot easily, or both.

Edit: Also might help you to sign up at, and make the build yourself (or alterations) at www.pcpartpicker.com ... It helped me drastically. It automatically makes sure everything's compatible, and gives (usually accurate) pricing at multiple notable vendors.

Yep, just did that:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/106Qz

It is a little bit from 3 sources (you, the build on that other site I posted, and aShufflinZombie's build on the previous page of this thread).

I used your processor and cooler, the motherboard and memory from that link I posted, and then one of the power supplies you suggested. It seems like maybe I have a little too much of a power supply in there (650 for 334 estimated usage). Maybe I could go with the other one you mentioned (500W).

I also put in the hard drive and case from aShufflinZombie's build on the last page since it was a combo deal from Newegg (-$15). But I could just go with that Corsair 300R and the same or another HD.

I'm not seeing the coupon code on the XFX Double D 1GB and I'm pretty sure I added the right thing. So is there an additional discount there that expired soon? If so, I should bite on that at least while I think about the rest.

Edit: OK, according to this link it is a deal of the week and probably something I should just jump on:

http://techreport.com/news/24861/deal-of-the-week-a-7580-1gb-for-132-and-other-bargains

And also here:

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/latest/index-landing.aspx

On the Newegg page it says promos end 5/27 - so that's like tomorrow (or day after since I still think of it as being Saturday night right now even though it is 3 am ;)).

But now I'm wondering if I'm going to spend $650+ on all of that and have to put it together and possibly deal with DOA parts and such (with no spares of any sort to do testing), why don't I just get something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...pPCs-_-83229360-L06C&PID=1312731&AID=10446076

Yeah it is $1049, but it seems significantly better than what I'm putting together... Or maybe not - the processor definitely seems better (or at least it is much more expensive) but is the 7850 a better card than the Nvidia Geforce GTX 650?

[quote name='io']Yep, just did that:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/106Qz

It is a little bit from 3 sources (you, the build on that other site I posted, and aShufflinZombie's build on the last page of this thread).

I used your processor and cooler, the motherboard and memory from that link I posted, and then one of the power supplies you suggested. It seems like maybe I have a little too much of a power supply in there (650 for 334 estimated usage). Maybe I could go with the other one you mentioned (500W).

I also put in the hard drive and case from aShufflinZombie's build on the last page since it was a combo deal from Newegg (-$15). But I could just go with that Corsair 300R and the same or another HD.

I'm not seeing the coupon code on the XFX Double D 1GB and I'm pretty sure I added the right thing. So is there an additional discount there that expired soon? If so, I should bite on that at least while I think about the rest.[/QUOTE]

Nice! The PSU wattage should be a tad higher (this GPU recommends 500W just for what-ifs) than you need, to account for changes in hardware, overclocking, and general PSU wear/etc. Can't go wrong with either one IMO. Corsair's an amazing brand, and apparently OCZ isn't bad either. You probably will enjoy the modular capability though (lets you unplug unnecessary/unused PSU cables that can clutter up the inside of the PC).

I can also recommend slightly better/faster RAM, for only a couple dollars more: Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) - Exactly what I'm using. I'll also have two sticks for sale (as previously mentioned) if interested, sometime later next week I imagine.

As for the coupon code, it's not on the main GPU page, and you add it at checkout. It works, I just tested it when I posted it. Again, though, I have no idea when it expires. Really good deal. Also that AMD promotion supposedly ends on the 31st last I read.

HDD's up to you. Just stick with at least a 500W PSU from a highly reputable brand (and make sure you don't go below $45-$50 unless it's still one of those brands, or it can cause major issues potentially). I'd recommend my mobo, too, but it seems to have risen $15 since I ordered it.

Edit (just saw your edit.. ha!): That bundle is a tad overpriced... I mean, if you don't want to deal with building it and money's not an issue, why not? The 650's weaker than the 7850 (from my reading). If you want the absolute best deal, building yourself is the way to go. Can probably do a lot better for that price, though (including an i7).

OK, then, what about this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229361

This seems like not a bad deal considering the components are pretty equivalent to what I'm putting together.

Some complaints in the reviews about heat issues and it shutting down sometimes. Ugh - I had that with a laptop once and it was annoying to say the least. I dunno... If I'm going to build one myself I'd be kicking myself not to get in on that video card by tomorrow...

And what motherboard did you use?

I added your memory in and I'm at about $648. Now the one advantage I have here is that I can get about half of the build from Amazon (where I have credit and can get more via Kindle cards at GS). The other half is at Newegg. Of course if I buy the pre-built one I am spending all real money at Newegg... So in some sense even if the do-it-yourself is a bit more expensive I'd actually be shelling out less money. (Another thing to consider is the prebuilt has mouse/keyboard and I would have to buy those as well. On the flip side I'd get the 3 games with the DIY).

Anyway, I'm off to play Sleeping Dogs on my PS3 and take a break from all this - will come back tomorrow afternoon to decide on the prebuilt vs. just picking up the video card now before the coupon expires.

[quote name='io']OK, then, what about this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229361

This seems like not a bad deal considering the components are pretty equivalent to what I'm putting together.

Some complaints in the reviews about heat issues and it shutting down sometimes. Ugh - I had that with a laptop once and it was annoying to say the least. I dunno... If I'm going to build one myself I'd be kicking myself not to get in on that video card by tomorrow...

And what motherboard did you use?[/QUOTE]

I used this Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3.

That doesn't seem bad, but the price is so low because of the video card. Also, it has Windows 8 (ewww). The PSU is probably a no-name brand, which is typically warned against from everything I've read. A bad one can burn out/die and take some or all of your computer parts with it. Judging by the price, and the fact it has Windows 8, there's reason to believe there they skimped somewhere (including the video card), and it's not good that you're reading about overheating and such...

I'm on Steam right now if you'd rather chat. I'm not the most experienced builder here, but since I just went through all this, I feel like I can be helpful at least. (Steam: Rhett816)

Like I said I'm heading to the PS3 now and then bed... But thanks for all the input. I'd be installing Windows 8 anyway, so no biggie there. I got it on my new work laptop a few months back and with Classic Shell I hardly notice it any more. And it does boot way faster than Win 7 so there's that ;).

But yeah, that pre-built probably has a bad PSU and not so great cooling (some of the reviewers fixed that themselves by modifying it).

Wow - no thoughts from any other of you PC builders on that Newegg special? Was kind of hoping to get some feedback by now ;).

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/10gbn

I haven't ever used this site before, but that is what I put together io. I didn't add an aftermarket CPU cooler since I didn't know if you planned on overclocking. I am not in love with the mobo, but everything else in the build is pretty nice, especially for the price (30 dollars more than your build, and most of the components are better).

Edit: I changed out the video card for an extra ten bucks to upgrade from the Ghz edition of the 7870 to the LE edition.

Edit 2: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/10guR

Same build with a better board (like 50 dollars more). I only included the first build with that board because it was super cheap and on combo.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']http://pcpartpicker.com/p/10gbn

I haven't ever used this site before, but that is what I put together io. I didn't add an aftermarket CPU cooler since I didn't know if you planned on overclocking. I am not in love with the mobo, but everything else in the build is pretty nice, especially for the price (30 dollars more than your build, and most of the components are better). If you do plan on overclocking, there is an ASRock board that is available in a combo for like 50 more that would be worth getting.

Edit: I changed out the video card for an extra ten bucks to upgrade from the Ghz edition of the 7870 to the LE edition.[/QUOTE]

Interesting, thanks - with that one it looks like the processor has a coupon code that ends tomorrow. Is that video card loads better than the 7850? Unfortunately none of that build is available for the cheapest at Amazon. Though I could just buy the video card there and skip the rebate (but use my credit). Then again, NCIX has it for $230 and it comes with not only the game package I mentioned before but Crysis 3 as well. Amazon doesn't mention that - but are these games really just included with every one of these cards and the retailer doesn't matter?

[quote name='io']Interesting, thanks - with that one it looks like the processor has a coupon code that ends tomorrow. Is that video card loads better than the 7850? Unfortunately none of that build is available for the cheapest at Amazon. Though I could just buy the video card there and skip the rebate (but use my credit). Then again, NCIX has it for $230 and it comes with not only the game package I mentioned before but Crysis 3 as well. Amazon doesn't mention that - but are these games really just included with every one of these cards and the retailer doesn't matter?[/QUOTE]

They have a page for their AMD bundles:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...d_t=201&pf_rd_p=1536372922&pf_rd_i=B007PJTNYS

I, personally, ordered everything except my video card from Amazon (Newegg for video card due to amazing deal)... Their return policy + customer service, and promptness in dealing with DOA parts helped assured me. Newegg's apparently "fine", but I trust Amazon fully. Also, they compete with Newegg on pricing on almost everything, I noticed.

^ Yeah, see, Amazon is missing the new "Level Up" promotion that would include both Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider for the card Casey mentioned. But maybe they just haven't updated their info and it will really come with those anyway.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']http://www.anandtech.com/show/6957/...loaded-program-again-launches-level-up-bundle

AMD bumped up some of their stuff from the never settle reloaded program with a level up program.

I totally forgot about the amazang moniez (I used mine on a 670 FTW in Feb. when Crysis 3 came out).

The card I picked out uses more power and might be a little loud. It falls between the 7870 regular and the 7950.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to think about it. $230 with all 4 of those games sounds pretty good. Amazon doesn't mention Crysis 3 so I'd be hesitant to spend $20 there (even with my credit). I'm sure I can get some of the other parts there anyway if they are only few bucks more.

Again, TOO MANY choices!

Amazon just gives you a code. AMD gives out the games so you should be fine since it satisfies the new criteria. Amazon just hasnt updated their website.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Amazon just gives you a code. AMD gives out the games so you should be fine since it satisfies the new criteria. Amazon just hasnt updated their website.[/QUOTE]

You mean Amazon gives you a code for AMD and then they provide the goods? If so, I'd go with Amazon for that card then!

With two mods in here already, could a CAG have permission to make a PC component/accessory trading thread?

I realize that this isn't the trading forum but I'm afraid that it may get lost in the shuffle in the main forum.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']With two mods in here already, could a CAG have permission to make a PC component/accessory trading thread?

I realize that this isn't the trading forum but I'm afraid that it may get lost in the shuffle in the main forum.[/QUOTE]

It belongs in the trading forum, but I can add the link to the OP.

bread's done
Back