The Ultimate 'Build-A-PC' Thread. Complete With Pricings & Recommendations (06/06/10)

I read yesterday that DDR3 is going to drop in price soon to be the same price as ddr2.

I would wait a month and grab a DDR3 mobo. You'll be golden.

If any help is needed getting specs and links up for an Intel P55 system, let me know. I think I'm ready to finally move past my AMD Athlon 2800+ system that I built in September 2003...I've been reading up on all the new stuff like crazy.

I've barely used that 2800+ system in the last couple years so don't feel bad for me ;) Work currently satisfies most of my computing needs.

I'm in the preliminary planning stages for a new machine (budget ~$850) and have a few questions I hope someone can answer.

1) Does anyone have specific advice on wireless adapters? Running an ethernet cable to my desk would be a logistical nightmare, but various Newegg reviews suggest that finding an adapter that plays nice with a 64-bit system would be nearly as difficult. Alternatively, am I making a mistake by going 64-bit? The RAM bottleneck makes it look like an obvious choice, but maybe I'm missing something.

2) Can anyone comment on the current, day-to-day impact of going from dual core to quad core? I know it's not a big deal yet gaming-wise, but I do a metric ton of multi-tasking, so I'm tempted. From my initial research, I think quad-core might be overly ambitious on my budget. I either need reassurance or somebody to talk me out of it!

3) Where do people resell their old parts? Is it worth doing even without original packaging and documentation? I've got a 4 year old machine (my only previous building experience!) that I'll be pulling the harddrive and optical drive from. What should I do with the remains? I'm looking for ease of disposal over profit maximizing, but since I'd have to drag it to a electronic waste disposal site anyway, maybe I can make a few bucks in the process.

1) never had a problem with wireless on my system or my gfs or my laptop. you can get adapters pretty damn cheap, $15 or under so id get one and if for some reason you do have problems its not a big loss.

2) how much multitasking do you do exactly? and what are you running? i have a dualcore machine and i have no problem surfing the net, listening to music, playing on photoshop and soundforge, with other various programs running.

3) i dont know about a place online, but ive sold parts (and my friends have too) on craigslist. just throw an ad or two up and see what offers you get.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']how much multitasking do you do exactly? and what are you running? i have a dualcore machine and i have no problem surfing the net, listening to music, playing on photoshop and soundforge, with other various programs running. [/QUOTE]

It's pretty much the sort of thing you're describing. (Somehow I've stumbled into a circle of friends where I'm the most computer-savvy of the bunch. It's sad, really, and my role as official tech support has given me a distorted view of what "normal" computing looks like.) Sounds like a dual core will suit me fine. Thanks!

[quote name='Neci']It's pretty much the sort of thing you're describing. (Somehow I've stumbled into a circle of friends where I'm the most computer-savvy of the bunch. It's sad, really, and my role as official tech support has given me a distorted view of what "normal" computing looks like.) Sounds like a dual core will suit me fine. Thanks![/QUOTE]

well dualcore should suit you just fine, but if you can get a good deal on a quad then by all means go for it.

[quote name='Guerrilla']I've been looking to do a similar build but they ran out of that ram. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227269

itd put you a tad over $300 at $317. ive updated the wish list as well.

OK, here's a link to the build I'm currently planning. With combos, it comes in at $841.61 shipped, or $821.61 after MIR. I don't need an optical drive or any peripherals. I decided to get a new HD after all; the drive from my old system is, well, OLD and distressingly small. I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

EDIT: Hearing no objections, I went ahead and ordered. With price checking, MIR, and Bing cashback, my final cost will be $783.19. I didn't expect to come in this far under budget, but hey, it just leaves more $$ for games!

Last edited by a moderator:
just got my new build up and running (~$250 weak micro PC)... I went with this case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144162&cm_re=QPACK-_-11-144-162-_-Product - and just wanted to comment here on how much it rules. Temp gauge, quiet, removable motherboard tray, large and sturdy power button, good power supply, can fit even standard ATX power supplies, good airflow... $55 with a decent PSU is damn hard to beat. If you're building mATX look into it, hell of a case for the price.

i like that case. can you post a link to your entire build? ive been thinking about building something for my hdtv downstairs as i just got rid of the P4 dell ive been using the last few years. ill miss my dell, had that thing for like 8 years.

I got in on some combo deals that are, unfortunately, no longer active. I'm very satisfied with my build, but now that the deals have expired there are probably better choices than what I got. Here's what I went with (all NewEgg):

Intel Pentium E5300
ECS G41T-M(2.0) mATX mobo
GeForce 9400 GT Low Profile Ready
Kingston 2GB DDR2
ENCORE PCI draft-n wifi card
Rosewill High Gain Antenna
WD Caviar Black 500GB
APEVIA MicroATX Desktop Computer Case 420W Power Supply

$313 after rebates, tax and shipping included. Without the wifi card and high gain antenna it would've been about $50 less. The card/antenna combo is still active and the case is still at a good price, everything else went up. Coincidentally this was my upgrade from a P4 Dell that I had been using as an HTPC as well -- the old Dell stuttered on 1080p video and couldn't even do widescreen hulu videos without a fight... this machine hasn't gone past 32C on all stock cooling and is substantially quieter, though I plan on undervolting the system fan soon as it's definitely the loudest component.

[quote name='Neci']
1) Does anyone have specific advice on wireless adapters? Running an ethernet cable to my desk would be a logistical nightmare, but various Newegg reviews suggest that finding an adapter that plays nice with a 64-bit system would be nearly as difficult. Alternatively, am I making a mistake by going 64-bit? The RAM bottleneck makes it look like an obvious choice, but maybe I'm missing something.[/QUOTE]
I have a linksys wireless N PCI adapter that is supposed to work with 64-bit windows, but I haven't tried it. Here's the Newegg link, and the manufacture link, which lists 64-bit support. If you have the ability to go 64-bit, do it. There is a noticeable speed difference. Just make sure each application you need will work with 64-bit.
2) Can anyone comment on the current, day-to-day impact of going from dual core to quad core? I know it's not a big deal yet gaming-wise, but I do a metric ton of multi-tasking, so I'm tempted. From my initial research, I think quad-core might be overly ambitious on my budget. I either need reassurance or somebody to talk me out of it!
Depends on what the day-to-day usage is for you. My girlfriend uses Photoshop every day, so I put a quad core in her PC. If all you're doing is multitasking between facebook/IM/iTunes/multimedia I wouldn't worry about a quad-core, just get the fastest, or OC-friendliest if you're into that, dual core you can afford.

3) Where do people resell their old parts? Is it worth doing even without original packaging and documentation? I've got a 4 year old machine (my only previous building experience!) that I'll be pulling the harddrive and optical drive from. What should I do with the remains? I'm looking for ease of disposal over profit maximizing, but since I'd have to drag it to a electronic waste disposal site anyway, maybe I can make a few bucks in the process.
Check ebay and craigslist. Don't expect to get much, or anything, for a 4 year old PC though.

Hey all,

My PC is just to old to even function without crashing every hour, so I need to build a new one. I had a lot of help last time, and I'm a little rusty, so I wanted to run this build past you. This would be for something mainly to use microsoft word on, surf the net, and maybe play simple games like Audiosurf.

I currently own this case:

POWMAX CP03294HL-5 Black All metal construction (SGCC) ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 400W Power Supply - Retail

And the rest is what I thought might be a good cheap PC with parts that seemed to be reviewed well on newegg. I have 2 graphics cards because I couldn't decide between the two.

Thanks for any help!

JetWay JPA78VM5-H-LF AM2+/AM2 AMD 780V HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

MSI N8400GS-TD512 GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card

SPARKLE SFPX94GT1024U2 GeForce 9400 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200 Brisbane 2.7GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model

Kingston HyperX 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2/2G

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

I would pick this GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2 AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard and pick this AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor instead. Together you are paying the same ($2 more for CPU but $2 less for motherboard), but you are getting a better CPU and a more modern motherboard.

For memory you want something that runs on dual channel mode. The one you picked out is only 1 piece of 2GB, which will run in single channel by itself. You can get this Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 for the same price.

Between the 2 video cards I would definitely choose the 9400GT over the 8400GS. For the same price as the 9400GT ($45) though, you could up yourself a small notch and get the 9500GT 512MB instead. These are all low performance video cards, so the difference between 512MB and 1GB is negligible. But if you are willing to shell out another $5, you can gain a significant performance in some more modern games (COD4, HL2, Dawn of War, etc) by getting the $50 ATI 4650 512MB card. You can check out this benchmark that pits the ATI 4670/4650 cards vs the 9500GT. Performance gain is between 20% to 50% in many cases.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']I would pick this GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2 AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard and pick this AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor instead. Together you are paying the same ($2 more for CPU but $2 less for motherboard), but you are getting a better CPU and a more modern motherboard.

For memory you want something that runs on dual channel mode. The one you picked out is only 1 piece of 2GB, which will run in single channel by itself. You can get this Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 for the same price.

Between the 2 video cards I would definitely choose the 9400GT over the 8400GS. For the same price as the 9400GT ($45) though, you could up yourself a small notch and get the 9500GT 512MB instead. These are all low performance video cards, so the difference between 512MB and 1GB is negligible. But if you are willing to shell out another $5, you can gain a significant performance in some more modern games (COD4, HL2, Dawn of War, etc) by getting the $50 ATI 4650 512MB card. You can check out this benchmark that pits the ATI 4670/4650 cards vs the 9500GT. Performance gain is between 20% to 50% in many cases.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that was SUPER helpful!

I never noticed the dual channel thing. I wish I knew more about all of this. Can you recommend anyplace online to learn that isn't overwhelming to a newb?

Thanks so much! I might just use these exact specs for the new PC. :)

I'm finally ready to get a new computer. I'm very tempted to just take this computer and chunk it out the window, I hate it. It's your typical beige computer most Grandmothers out there have...

I've been trying to do most of the research on my own, so don't be too hard on me. I don't play any computer games on my computer and sadly have no desire too (That's what my consoles are for [=). I do a ton of multi-tasking, right now I have 30+ Tabs open in Google Chrome, VMWare running Arch Linux, Winamp, IRC, Notepad++ with 20+ Tabs, Photoshop, and a couple more. It. is. so. slow. Switching tabs takes about 4 seconds, as the screen seems to "melt" down the screen, it's kinda cool to watch actually. Anyways, I only have 1GB (2x 512MB from Different Manufactures :p), in this rig. I realize I'm going to need a LOT more RAM in my new build, so I'm aiming for a high-class 8GB of RAM, DDR3 that is, due to the fact that I keep reading that DDR2 used to be hailed as the "go-to" of RAM, but now things are starting to shift in the direction of DDR3. I might as well get a Motherboard that supports that, so I won't be left in the dust. Now the processors are what confuses me. I do like all the rants about Phenom II (Black Edition?) I keep hearing. I want to stray away from Intel solely based on the fact that it costs more. Does anyone still do the SSD for OS/HDD for Media combo? That seems like a good plan. My end goal is to end up with a cool looking computer (Sorry, but the case HAS to look good, I can't have it to be an eye-sore), that's super quiet (I have to turn off my current computer when I go to sleep, because the fans RPM's fluctuates all night, it's so loud and drives me crazy).

What are some decent looking manufactures of cases? Also, what are my options concerning drive bays? I'm not going to do liquid cooling, as I keep getting told it's a waste of money as air cooling is adequate for my build. Those Fan controls sure do look cool. I still need to research on Keyboards and Mouse's, I have never looked into those for some reason. I figured they were pretty much all the same. Well, hopefully someone can help ^_^

[quote name='Trusty Mutsi']Wow, that was SUPER helpful!

I never noticed the dual channel thing. I wish I knew more about all of this. Can you recommend anyplace online to learn that isn't overwhelming to a newb?

Thanks so much! I might just use these exact specs for the new PC. :)[/QUOTE]

There isn't really a 'place' where you can learn about computer hardware. It's all about the experience and spending hours reading hardware news and reviews daily (sadly that's what I do, no joke). I frequent www.hardocp.com , www.anandtech.com , and www.tomshardware.com for my daily hardware feeds. I go to message boards and read up other people's experiences, and that's how I learn about other pieces of hardware that I don't have.

[quote name='Riyonuk']
What are some decent looking manufactures of cases? Also, what are my options concerning drive bays? I'm not going to do liquid cooling, as I keep getting told it's a waste of money as air cooling is adequate for my build. Those Fan controls sure do look cool. I still need to research on Keyboards and Mouse's, I have never looked into those for some reason. I figured they were pretty much all the same. Well, hopefully someone can help ^_^[/QUOTE]

Well, the look of a case is very subjective. Maybe you can just start browsing Newegg's computer case selection and see if there are some that you like? Fan controls are cool, but they're just gimmicks, as you can easily find quiet case fans to place into your case that won't ever require speed/noise tweaking. Silent PC Review is a good place to read up on quiet case fans and quiet PSU.

If you multitask I would definitely get the Phenom II X4 AM3 CPUs, 8GB of DDR3 RAM is great, and as soon as you slap in a high performance SSD like this, this, or this, you'll be all set running Windows 7.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Well, the look of a case is very subjective. Maybe you can just start browsing Newegg's computer case selection and see if there are some that you like? Fan controls are cool, but they're just gimmicks, as you can easily find quiet case fans to place into your case that won't ever require speed/noise tweaking. Silent PC Review is a good place to read up on quiet case fans and quiet PSU.

If you multitask I would definitely get the Phenom II X4 AM3 CPUs, 8GB of DDR3 RAM is great, and as soon as you slap in a high performance SSD like this, this, or this, you'll be all set running Windows 7.[/QUOTE]

True, one can't really define a "good" looking case, it's all opinion. I just want something that's very...what's the word...stealth like. Something with no windows, no buttons, just looks like a silver/black box, very modern looking. I don't like my non-matching bay drives to show (though I do plan on matching everything I can). Can I ask you what are some blogs I can frequent to stay up to date on all of this? The Engadget of CPU's or similar? I was hanging out in the ##hardware channel on Freenode and most, if not all, pointed out that I didn't need a Phenom, that it sucked, and I should stick with a Core2Duo, as I was buying into power I had no use for. Are they right?

Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad (socket 775) are definitely not a good buy anymore, as they are being phased out by Intel. The i5 series are the new line of choice for midrange systems. If your budget is between $700 to $900 range, the socket 1156 Intel i5 750 CPU is the one to get. The price of the i5 750 is in the range of the older Intel E8400 and Q9550, but outperforms them by a respectable margin. Though if your budget falls within the $500 - $700 range, then AMD Phenom AM3 CPU is the better choice because the AM3 socket has a better future than the socket 775. So by all mean Phenom II X4 CPUs are great choices for a lower than midrange system. Don't listen to Intel fanboys recommending you soon-to-be obsolete hardware. A good recommendation is based on budget, need, want, and value, not branding.

As for a 'plain' looking case, maybe you can look into the Antec P183, Thermaltake Element S, and Lian-Li cases. Lian-Li cases are all very boxy and plain looking, no flashy bright light or funky transformers design.

I frequent www.hardocp.com and its www.hardforum.com as well as www.anandtech.com and its forums.anandtech.com for most of my computer hardware news, reviews, benchmarks, and discussions. Those two sites basically covers all of your computer hardware needs. If you ask your question there, I bet they won't recommend Core 2 Duo/Core 2 Quad over the Phenom II or the i5 750.

I'm going to set my foot down and say my budget is $500. That's a comfortable price I'm willing to spend on a computer. I'm really trying to build a super quiet eco friendly green computer. I really don't see why my fans are always spinning, I'm not fragging the weak and hurdling the dead. I've just got alot of tabs open on a lot of programs. I looked into 80Plus, but those seem more as pre-built computers. I also want to get something that will leave a lot of room for upgradeability. Those would seem to be RAM, HDD, CD/DVD, etc. I don't really consider CPU/Motherboard to be easily upgradeable, I think this because if you upgrade those, you have to replace the rest (you don't HAVE to, just it's a possibility). Can you help me put together a rig like that? Remember, SUPER quiet, I can't stand the sound of mine, and it has to be eco-friendly, cause my girlfriends a tree hugger :| (not the only reason, saving on my monthly electricity bill sounds fun).

[quote name='Riyonuk']I'm going to set my foot down and say my budget is $500. That's a comfortable price I'm willing to spend on a computer. I'm really trying to build a super quiet eco friendly green computer. I really don't see why my fans are always spinning, I'm not fragging the weak and hurdling the dead. I've just got alot of tabs open on a lot of programs. I looked into 80Plus, but those seem more as pre-built computers. I also want to get something that will leave a lot of room for upgradeability. Those would seem to be RAM, HDD, CD/DVD, etc. I don't really consider CPU/Motherboard to be easily upgradeable, I think this because if you upgrade those, you have to replace the rest (you don't HAVE to, just it's a possibility). Can you help me put together a rig like that? Remember, SUPER quiet, I can't stand the sound of mine, and it has to be eco-friendly, cause my girlfriends a tree hugger :| (not the only reason, saving on my monthly electricity bill sounds fun).[/QUOTE]

Here you go! :) Both DDR2 and DDR3 memory are expensive now, so I would just settle with 4GB for now, when the price drop in the near future, add another 4GB to 8GB. I decided to go with a video card with a fan because the Antec Sonata case is a quiet case in a sense that it eliminates the need for excess case fans. So I think the fan on the video card will keep the video card happy, even when you dont game.

If you're bent on having 80 Plus PSU, then you can swap out the case+PSU combo and get Antec Sonata Elite and Corsair 400W 80+ PSU. Since your system isnt power hungry, a 400W is more than enough to power it, while not punching a hole through your wallet. Just beware that in the future if you want to upgrade to a powerful gaming video card, 400W is not enough. Just a thought.

Okay, first of all, I have a USB CD/DVD drive, would that mean I need that $30 one? I don't use CD/DVD drives, only for installing the OS. If I do have to use one, I suppose I could use it just to install the OS and then return it. I don't need that.

Not a fan of the case, there was this one Antec case I liked, I'll see if I can find it. Found it. Also, I saw you made the RAM DDR3, can you tell me why? I'm not mad at all, just curious to your response, I don't know much about RAM. Did you just choose the case of the day? Do you think if I pick a case I want and just wait, that it will too become the case of the day?

What about keyboard and mouse? I hear great things about those fancy logitech ones...but then again...those are pricey. Grrr, why does everything have to cost money. I need a monitor as well. If I could sell the computer I'm typing with, how much do you think I could get? $50? Should I just chunk it?

Your budget is $500, which is low for the requests that you made. The reason I picked that particular case is because it is a silent case. The P183 is a pretty noisy case. I have the P180 which is an older version, and the Antec case fans (there are 4 of them) aren't very quiet when all 4 are spinning. As of now I can hear the wind 'swoop' noise through my case. So I doubt you'll like that one, even though it is better looking. You're free to choose your own case, I'm not going to force you to buy a particular case. But Sonata is a silent case.

If you don't think you need a DVD drive, then you dont need to buy it. It's your decision, and yours only.

The motherboard only takes DDR3 RAM, so you need DDR3. I'm not sure why you are asking that question; as oppose you want the older DDR2 instead?

$500 will not be enough if you want the monitor and nice fancy logitech keyboard, and on top of that you also need to fork out $100 for a legit Windows OS. A decent monitor costs around $150. so if you are to factor that into your $500 budget, then you'll leave $350 for the computer, which means you'll get the bottom feeding parts, so to speak.

Anyone want to make a recommendation for a newbie? I'm looking to build just for the experience and because it ultimately seems cheaper, plus it seems like something fun to do.

The biggest thing I'm looking to do is build something that can comfortably run Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 next year, so obviously nothing over-the-top. Other than that, typical media capabilities with the possibility of some music recording/production down the road, but again, nothing too extensive. I'll be running this through my LCD TV or putting a little extra down for an extra monitor. Along with the keyboard, mouse, and OS, I'd like to keep this under $750 (that doesn't include the extra monitor). I know I don't need a state-of-the-art machine, but something that'll last me a while and get me through the day would be great. Recommendations for parts, complete builds (even if it's one from the first page), etc. are appreciated!

Thanks!

[quote name='Broccoli Storm']Anyone want to make a recommendation for a newbie? I'm looking to build just for the experience and because it ultimately seems cheaper, plus it seems like something fun to do.[/QUOTE]

Building a PC is a lot of fun. I just put a system together for my parents to replace their 5-year-old system. They went from an Athlon XP with 512 MB of RAM to an Athlon II X2 with 2 GB of RAM, and they're extremely happy.

Here's what I would recommend for a good budget machine:

Asus ATI Radeon 4870 1 GB $160 - $20 MIR

Corsair 4 GB DDR3 $81

Western Digital Caviar Black 640 GB $75

Lite-On 24x DVD burner $32

Antec Nine Hundred case $100

Corsair 750W PSU $120 - $10 MIR

You can also pick up a combo from Newegg with an AMD Athlon II X3 CPU and compatible motherboard for less than $200, so that should put you right at about your budget point, provided that you don't need a mouse and keyboard.

Hey guys, I'm starting to buy parts to do a completly new machine. My old gaming machine is about 4 years old and isn't up to par for these new games. So I'm trying to build a good machine that will game and work as a back-up graphic design machine.

I have been working off of the July guide on Anandtech, but some of the pieces are no longer sold and some there are newer stuff out there for. So I thought I would ask the guys here. What would you suggest.

I currently have purchased:
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA Motherboard
Corsair 850W PSU
CoolerMaster Sniper Black Case

So I plan on putting in an Intel i7 920, watching the new direct 11 radeon cards, in particular the 5870 and the 5850. I'm still balancing on air cool verses liquid cool. I've built several machines at this point and have always air cooled. Also don't know what to do for ram. Have yet to look deeply into it. So comments. What do you think about the direction I am heading. ideas, suggestions. I'm rusty on hardware and trying to relearn everything. I went to college and went broke pretty damn fast :p

[quote name='looski']Hey guys, I'm starting to buy parts to do a completly new machine. My old gaming machine is about 4 years old and isn't up to par for these new games. So I'm trying to build a good machine that will game and work as a back-up graphic design machine.

I have been working off of the July guide on Anandtech, but some of the pieces are no longer sold and some there are newer stuff out there for. So I thought I would ask the guys here. What would you suggest.

I currently have purchased:
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA Motherboard
Corsair 850W PSU
CoolerMaster Sniper Black Case

So I plan on putting in an Intel i7 920, watching the new direct 11 radeon cards, in particular the 5870 and the 5850. I'm still balancing on air cool verses liquid cool. I've built several machines at this point and have always air cooled. Also don't know what to do for ram. Have yet to look deeply into it. So comments. What do you think about the direction I am heading. ideas, suggestions. I'm rusty on hardware and trying to relearn everything. I went to college and went broke pretty damn fast :p[/QUOTE]

You forgot to tell us one major thing. What is the maximum amount to spend for the rest of the parts?

Basing on what you already have, you have no choice but to get triple channel DDR3 memory. Something like Corsair, G.SKILL, or OCZ are good to get. For storage, if you have the money, look into the Corsair 120GB SSD, OCZ Summit 120GB SSD, or the Intel X25-M 80GB. If those are out of your budget, you can always stick with the reliable and fast WD 640GB Black or the Seagate 7200.12 series. You can always grab 2 identical hard drives for Raid 0 setup as well. Your video card though, also really depends on your budget, both 5870 and 5850 are great choices, so if you have the money, go for the 5870.

so i decided i needed a new desktop.
i havent paid any attnetion to pc components for a long while.
heres what i was looking at

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=9718514

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103675
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128392
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231190 x2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341019

I have drives and a case already.
I have NO idea what video card I should get.
im not a pc gamer but id like to be able to pick up some new stuff and play it decently.
something that could support bluray use would be good.
I dont want to go crazy either and im not sure if I could find more cost effective equipment.
I also wont upgrade for a few years.

also is the stock cooling acceptable for that cpu? or should i be looking at an additional cooling solution?
thanks in advance.

[quote name='paz9x']so i decided i needed a new desktop.
i havent paid any attnetion to pc components for a long while.
heres what i was looking at

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=9718514

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103675
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128392
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231190 x2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341019

I have drives and a case already.
I have NO idea what video card I should get.
im not a pc gamer but id like to be able to pick up some new stuff and play it decently.
something that could support bluray use would be good.
I dont want to go crazy either and im not sure if I could find more cost effective equipment.
I also wont upgrade for a few years.

also is the stock cooling acceptable for that cpu? or should i be looking at an additional cooling solution?
thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

If you're not a PC gamer but would like a card that will run games here and there, then something like a $60 ATI HD 4670 1GB. If you have a bit more headroom for your budget, then a nVidia GTS 250 or ATI 4850 might be even better purchase.

The stock CPU cooler is fine if you don't overclock. But it never hurts (except denting your wallet) to get the Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']If you're not a PC gamer but would like a card that will run games here and there, then something like a $60 ATI HD 4670 1GB. If you have a bit more headroom for your budget, then a nVidia GTS 250 or ATI 4850 might be even better purchase.

The stock CPU cooler is fine if you don't overclock. But it never hurts (except denting your wallet) to get the Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this and say go for the 4850! I love it!

should i be considering the directx11 cards?
ideally id stay under $150 but im slightly flexible if its worth a few more $

its hard to figure out whats the better value between all these models and their sub models.

[quote name='paz9x']should i be considering the directx11 cards?
ideally id stay under $150 but im slightly flexible if its worth a few more $

its hard to figure out whats the better value between all these models and their sub models.[/QUOTE]

There hasn't been a game that requires DX11 so spending the money now to get it, would be silly.

hello Im Building a new computer and have some question

I already have harddrives I just want to get a new sata dvd burnner
and im going to get a nice PSU

I want to get this motherboard and this CPU

Motherboard ASUS M2A74-AM AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103706

It looks like I will have to update the Bios on the mother board to get the cpu running

But how can I do that if the motherboard default bios dose not support the cpu?

Also do I really gain much by going to quadcore

Im building this pc to hook up to my hdtv to run 1080 x 720p via hdmi

I want to play all of this years games im holding out for a price drop on the 4980 or may just bite on a 4850 or 4870 I heard that running games at lower resolution hurt performance?this dose not make any sense to me how about you guys

Nice thread I was thinking about buying a macbook but now I'm thinking about building a pc.

I was going to budget between $500-$700, I already have a decent monitor, my biggest concern was being able to upgrade the processor in a few years w/o upgrading the mobo

[quote name='PINKO']It looks like I will have to update the Bios on the mother board to get the cpu running

But how can I do that if the motherboard default bios dose not support the cpu?[/QUOTE]

That's a good question. Usually you'll need an older and fully supported CPU to flash the BIOS before you can install the new Athlon II X4 CPUs. So unless they made the motherboard to support BIOS flash w/o the CPU (which I have yet to heard of), you need to somehow obtain an older AM2 or AM2+ CPU to do the flash.

[quote name='PINKO']Also do I really gain much by going to quadcore[/QUOTE]

Real world performance would see minimal increase, you'll definitely see a big jump in numbers in benchmark environment. But if you're going to get a CPU now, and you're able to fork out $100 - $150 for it, there are plenty of quad core CPUs in that price range, so I don't see why not in regards to getting a quad core.

[quote name='PINKO']I want to play all of this years games im holding out for a price drop on the 4980 or may just bite on a 4850 or 4870 I heard that running games at lower resolution hurt performance?this dose not make any sense to me how about you guys[/QUOTE]

Running the games at lower resolution hurt your eyes, running them at higher resolution hurt frame rates. :)

[quote name='kube00']Nice thread I was thinking about buying a macbook but now I'm thinking about building a pc.

I was going to budget between $500-$700, I already have a decent monitor, my biggest concern was being able to upgrade the processor in a few years w/o upgrading the mobo[/QUOTE]

You should really look into the Intel socket 1156 motherboards or if you prefer AMD then get a socket AM3 motherboard.

$119.99 NZXT CS-NT-PANZER-B PANZERBOX Black Welded Aluminum ATX Mid Tower with Dual 190mm Fans Computer Case

$86.99 Patriot Viper II Sector 5 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory

$269.98 cpu/mobo combo
*AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGIBOX

*ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

$229.98 gpu/psu combo
*HIS H577F1GDG Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

*OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC ...

$99.99 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM $99.99

$30.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$10.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$20.00 Mail-in Rebate

Subtotal: $806.93
Shipping: $10.45
Grand Total: $817.38

after rebates $767.38

what I cant seem to find is how the px4 955 stacks up against the i5
i have confidence that either will be fanstastic for normal tasks but I keep hearing the 955/965 referenced as great gaming cpu's
I have an i5 build that is very similar though apparently theres a socket issue with the 1156 that makes OC very sketchy with them. i will overclock either, the amd not right away the i5 right away

also I decided on the 5770 primarily because it offers the same performance as the 4870 now runs cooler, quetier, and uses less power. supposedly performance will increase as they have more time with the drivers.
also if I want more down the road I can add another. im sure the price will drop decently in that time.

soooo im reading to buy whenever though I think ill wait to see what black friday hold price wise. none of that stuff is heavily discounted anyway.

[quote name='paz9x']
what I cant seem to find is how the px4 955 stacks up against the i5
i have confidence that either will be fanstastic for normal tasks but I keep hearing the 955/965 referenced as great gaming cpu's
[/QUOTE]

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3634&p=16
http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-750-core-i7-860-870-processor-review-test/18
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/intel_core_i7_core_i5_lynnfield_performance/page13.asp
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=855&p=6

Your build looks good, assuming you already got a nice 7200 hard drive already ^_^

[quote name='SOSTrooper']http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3634&p=16
http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-750-core-i7-860-870-processor-review-test/18
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/intel_core_i7_core_i5_lynnfield_performance/page13.asp
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=855&p=6

Your build looks good, assuming you already got a nice 7200 hard drive already ^_^[/QUOTE]

my concern is the supposed 1156 socket issue and oc'ing.
the tests you linked were good, thank you. im thinking when they turn
up the effects the gpu's get hammered and bring everything to about even?
those tests make me want to get an i5 though I still have a concern.

I keep hearing that fps might be lower on an amd build but are more stable. so a 40-50fps game will look better than a 30-60 game as youd apparently see on an intel build.
I dont see this mentioned in any reviews ive read, just message boards.

ive got about a month to go back and forth. though if one ends up being cheaper due to sales ill probably just go that route.

New list. Performs better and shit.

Case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811124121
Power supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006&Tpk=corsair 750
Asus Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131404
Intel Core i5 2.66GHz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215&cm_re=i5-_-19-115-215-_-Product
4GB RAM (might double this) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...SKILL_1333_2gb_ripjaws-_-20-231-276-_-Product
ATI Radeon 4890 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1308&cm_re=radeon_4890-_-14-121-308-_-Product
640GB hard drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319
Blu-Ray ROM/DVD writer/CD writer http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136162

$1059.92

I'm getting that power supply because it's got a monster single 12V rail, and it has some breathing room for graphics cards.

THE BELOW IS FOR ARCHIVAL PURPOSES. THE ABOVE IS MY LATEST LIST.

I know I just asked about RAM for my current computer, and I will upgrade it eventually, but I might advance these plans for building a new PC sooner than I expected. I spent the afternoon looking at stuff, and this is what I came up with.

Rate my PC!

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz CPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103692
Asus Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131392
4GB RAM (will probably buy two of these for a total of 8GB RAM) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...SKILL_1333_2gb_ripjaws-_-20-231-276-_-Product
Radeon HD 4870 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129139
Western Digital Hard Drive 7200RPM 640GB 32MB cache http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319
Blu-Ray ROM, DVD writer, CD writer http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136162
Obligatory case (turning those lights off as soon as I get the case) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811124121
1000W Antec power supply (I trust Antec because I use their power supply in my current computer, and it's remarkable that it's held up extremely well for about a quarter of a year so far under these conditions of what amounts to a marvel of redneck engineering) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371012

All of the above add up to $1139.93. Still weighing options about Windows 7 x64. I do know I'll be dual-booting with XP x86 for max compatibility, so I can always use that as my only OS for a while.

And I plan on getting another one of those graphics cards in the future so I can play Crossfire, er, use the Crossfire dual graphics card feature.

This is my first PC build, so if there's anything I missed, please let me know. Thanks!

EDIT: Instead of the AMD stuff, I might end up with...
Asus motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131404
Intel i5 750 2.66GHz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215&cm_re=i5-_-19-115-215-_-Product
Or maybe the i7 860 2.80Ghz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115214

Even the i5 is outperforming the Phenom II X4 965.

that seems expensive, maybe search for combo deals?
the power supply seems like overkill.
i recall seeing an his 4890 for $160-170 ar

[quote name='paz9x']that seems expensive, maybe search for combo deals?
the power supply seems like overkill.
i recall seeing an his 4890 for $160-170 ar[/QUOTE]

Is the 4890 better than the 4870? Because I had originally planned on getting a 5000 series DirectX 11 128-bit graphics card but decided against it because performance was worse than the 4870 for current games.

I know the power supply is overkill. That's how I want it. Anyway, you should see how my current Antec power supply is connected to my current computer. I tell you what, it's a marvel of redneck engineering. Good stuff. For it to not die is amazing.

Also check my edited post. I might go with Intel stuff instead.

haha paper clips ftw?

yeah the 4890 is the best 4000 series card.

fyi frys has an i5 with asus mobo for $220/$200 AR

New list for me. Possibly my final.

New list. Performs better and shit.

Case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811124121
Power supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006&Tpk=corsair 750
Asus Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131404
Intel Core i5 2.66GHz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215&cm_re=i5-_-19-115-215-_-Product
4GB RAM (might double this) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...SKILL_1333_2gb_ripjaws-_-20-231-276-_-Product
ATI Radeon 4890 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1308&cm_re=radeon_4890-_-14-121-308-_-Product
640GB hard drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319
Blu-Ray ROM/DVD writer/CD writer http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136162

$1059.92 (not counting the extra RAM which I might go for)

I'm getting that power supply because it's got a monster single 12V rail, and it has some breathing room for graphics cards.

if youre planning on on crossfire that mobo runs 1 pcie at x16 and the other at x4
also my understanding is that xfx and his are preferred for vid cards as they have lifetime/double lifetimes warranties.
i think that power supply is a better value and has plenty of power.

[quote name='paz9x']if youre planning on on crossfire that mobo runs 1 pcie at x16 and the other at x4
also my understanding is that xfx and his are preferred for vid cards as they have lifetime/double lifetimes warranties.
i think that power supply is a better value and has plenty of power.[/QUOTE]

I decided against Crossfire. Even at 1080p it's not that worth it, and it eats performance for stuff that's not made for it.

I like that video card better, and should it die, a newer generation DirectX 11 card will be ready for me to buy. I am kind of miffed that I am getting in on the start of DX11, so I'd rather get some tried and true before taking the plunge. And the games for DX11 aren't even around yet anyway.

The power supply I ultimately decided to go with I think is better, too :)

In any case, there's not much point in offering advice anymore. I already placed the order. Go me! I did tweak the RAM a bit. Got something on the MOBO's certified RAM list or whatever. The list was a bitch to find. In any case, it gives me a performance boost. Higher frequency and all that. And I did decide to double up on the RAM, so I'll be installing 8GB!

right on.
im waiting for black friday. its killing me though.
the power savings of the 5000 series cards is what has me undecided.
if i go with the 4890 $60 more has me at the 5850.
well see what BF holds. if i can save enough off other components ill probably spring for the 5850.

I think the only reason there are reports of bad 5800 performance is because the 9.10 drivers weren't out until a few days ago.

I wouldn't worry about the performance difference between the 4870 and 4890. You can OC the 4870 in CCC overdrive and get almost the exact same clocks.

Now that the 9.10s are out I would strongly reconsider the 5870.

bread's done
Back