The Ultimate 'Build-A-PC' Thread. Complete With Pricings & Recommendations (06/06/10)

Could somebody explain why my MoBo should be able to handle more than DDR3 2000 (O.C.) or 1600 (Because this is what I am looking at) when the specs on the websites only list those amount? After I understand this I will start looking at R.A.M. again (most likely Cosair Dominators GT)

This is my new chosen monitor, what do you guys think of it? The highest resolution monitor with low ms I could find. It had gotten a lot of positive reviews as well.

Acer B273HU bmidhz 27" LCD Monitor

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicat [...] r%20B273HU

Honestly, I really want a monitor with 120Hz refresh rate...

Also, I honestly am not very fond of the current speakers I have on my Rig (but I won't mind since it sounds like it does its job), is there any 7.1 computer speakers anybody can recommend?

Thank you!

Just wanted to say thanks - I just built a system that is basically the $1000 Intel gaming sample build and it is pretty awesome, I'm very happy with it. Thanks for the help!

[quote name='MiNuN']Could somebody explain why my MoBo should be able to handle more than DDR3 2000 (O.C.) or 1600 (Because this is what I am looking at) when the specs on the websites only list those amount? After I understand this I will start looking at R.A.M. again (most likely Cosair Dominators GT)

This is my new chosen monitor, what do you guys think of it? The highest resolution monitor with low ms I could find. It had gotten a lot of positive reviews as well.

Acer B273HU bmidhz 27" LCD Monitor

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicat [...] r%20B273HU

Honestly, I really want a monitor with 120Hz refresh rate...

Also, I honestly am not very fond of the current speakers I have on my Rig (but I won't mind since it sounds like it does its job), is there any 7.1 computer speakers anybody can recommend?

Thank you![/QUOTE]

I don't understand the RAM question. Yes, your mobo looks like it should support 1600 and 2000 but you may have to manually set them to run stable at those speeds. As for slower RAM, it should be able to run those as well.

The monitor looks fine. Keep searching around the net to see if there are any large problems with it.

Bose, Altec Lansing, and Logitech are decent computer speaker brands. I've used speakers from all of them, and they're all good.

[quote name='kilm']I don't understand the RAM question. Yes, your mobo looks like it should support 1600 and 2000 but you may have to manually set them to run stable at those speeds. As for slower RAM, it should be able to run those as well.

The monitor looks fine. Keep searching around the net to see if there are any large problems with it.

Bose, Altec Lansing, and Logitech are decent computer speaker brands. I've used speakers from all of them, and they're all good.[/QUOTE]

I did do a search on the monitor, very positive reviews, only problem is that the red is like orange coloured ha ha ha:applause:...I will not mind, It is also said to be very good for gaming.

About the R.A.M. someone on tom's suggested I should get Corsair Dominator-GT 2200 and he said my MoBo would support it even though it is not listed in the specs, so I would like to understand this.

I will check out those brand.

I believe they mean that the RAM will only run at the 2200 speed when you manually set it in the BIOS. Really though don't waste the extra money for the faster clocked RAM. There really isn't going to be any noticeable difference between memory clocked at 2200 or 1600 or 1333 MHz. Here's a good article on the subject: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2792/1

For speakers, I really don't really know of any 7.1 sets of computer speaker systems out there. If you're going for a 7.1 setup, you're probably better off getting a 7.1 receiver and some decent home theater speakers. The sound quality would be better than any computer speakers you can buy anyway.

[quote name='Mid Boss']Really though don't waste the extra money for the faster clocked RAM. There really isn't going to be any noticeable difference between memory clocked at 2200 or 1600 or 1333 MHz. Here's a good article on the subject: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2792/1[/QUOTE]

Don't waste your time/effort. He's not interested in hearing about why he should save himself vast sums of cash over unnoticable differences, because he gets comfort out of "knowing" that he has the very best.

Hey guys, I did an update of my rig once again, I think this might be it! (I am so excited), I will post it sometime tonight seeing how I am not home right now.

Changes I made are a switch to different R.A.M. to enable triple channel, another monitor which is by Dell this time...and some change in the prices!

I understand what 2000(O.C.) means now. It means that 1600MHz is the standard but if you want to use 2000s you have to overclock your MoBo.

I really want to make use of the 7.1 audio on my MoBo or audio card (I might lay off on the audio card since I found out the MoBo's audio is actually 7.1 supportive...but that card looks so bad-ass with the lion on it! =O) I might go with Creative gigaworks in the end then.

@CoffeeEdge LOL. You made me laugh, thanks!

[quote name='spraypaintnink']Computer noob here. I just bought a pc yesterday and I'm in the process of upgrading it. I got a geforce 9800gt video card and a Cooler Master Silent Pro M600 Modular 600-Watt that I need to install. Are those easy to do, or should I take it to geek squad?
I got the computer below by the way.

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-dx4831-01e/4505-3118_7-33964710.html?tag=lia;rcol

Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]

its all pretty easy. check youtube for videos. ask any specific questions.

Question, DVI or HDMI? From what I gathered, Single-link DVI can only go up to 1920X1200 resolutions, but Dual-link DVI can maximize my monitor's resolution, HDMI ports audio as well (Which I do not care about) but I think a single HDMI cable can maximize my monitor's resolution? correct?

The reason for the monitor switch is because it is like the previous one I chose except performance falls just a tiny bit in areas I do not care about (Like the brightness), it is much cheaper and the web-camera makes up for its fall in performance. It also has touch-sensitive buttons! (I am a fan of those =P)

What do you guys think of the R.A.M.?

Anyways here it is! MiNuN's Monster Version 4. Please comment as you feel!

Personal Computer build nicknamed 'MiNuN's Monster'

Goal: High-End Super Gaming; with the latest technology available to the public.

Specifications to work with;
6 X 240-pin (-3 used up by R.A.M.)
3 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 (x16/x16/x1) or (x16/x8/x8) (-1 x16 used up by Video Card)
1 X PCI Express X1
2 X PCI (-1 used up by Wireless Card) (-1 used up by Sound Card)
6 X SATA 3 GB/s (-1 used up by 2TB HDD) (-1 used up by SSD)
2 X SATA 6 GB/s
3 X External 5.25" Drive Bays (-1 used up by DVD Drive)
6 X Internal 3.5" Drive Bays (-1 used up by 2TB HDD) (-1 used up by SSD)
8 X Rear Expansion Slots (-1 used up by Video Card) (-1 used up by Wireless Card) (-1 used up by Sound Card)
1 X IEEE 139.4A
1 x Front eSata Port
1 x VGA
1 x DVI
1 X HDMI (-1 used up by Monitor)
1 X DisplayPort
1 X S/PDIF OUT Optical
1 X S/PDIF OUT Coaxial
1 x Front HD Audio Ports
6 X Rear HD Audio Ports
4 X Monitor 2.0 USB Ports
4 X Front 2.0 USB Ports
4 X Rear 2.0 USB Ports (-1 used up by G19)
2 X Rear 3.0 USB Ports
2 X Keyboard 2.0 USB Ports (-1 used up by X8) (-1 used up by G35)
2 X PS/2
MoBo Power Pin = 24-Pin

Newegg.ca = $2,753.15, Tiger Direct = $350.70, NCIX = $3,057.50, Bewawa = $672.32, Others = $568.40. Total = $7,402.07, Left over = $2,597.93.

P.C. Case: Thermaltake Level 10 VL30001N1Z BlackAluminumATXSuperFullTower Gaming Station Computer Case $893.53 (NCIX)
Mother Board: ASUS P6X58D Premium Motherboard $344.64 (Newegg)
Processor: Intel BX80613i7980X Core i7 980X Extreme Edition Processor $1,221.23 (Newegg)
Heatsink: Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme Universal CPU Cooler 120mm $87.27 (Newegg)
R.A.M.: Patriot Gamer Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PGS312G1600ELK $766.69 (Newegg)
Video Card: Diamond Radeon HD 5970 Video Card$793.78 (NCIX)
Hard-Disk Drive/Solid-State Drive: Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $248.58 (Newegg), Western Digital RE4 WD2003FYYS 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive$323.17 (Bewawa)
Other Drives: Lite-On IHAS424-98 Internal DVD Writer $44.47 (NCIX)
Power Supply: Ultra X4 1200-Watt Modular Power Supply$306.72 (TD)

EXTRAS:
O.S.: Windows 7 Ultimate $203.39 (Bewawa)
Wireless Card: Sabrent 802.11n Wireless PCI Controller Card$43.98 (TD)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence ST PCI 7.1 Sound Card $237.28 (NCIX)
Security Software: VIPRE Antivirus Premium 3 Years$115.00 (Sunbelt)

PERIPHERALS:
Keyboard: Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard $247.56 (NCIX)
Mouse: Microsoft 3HA-00001 SideWinder X8 Mouse$84.74 (Newegg)
Mouse surface: RAZER Megasoma Professional Gaming Mouse Mat $56.49 (CC) & RAZER Destructor Professional Gaming Mat $62.00 (NCIX)
Monitor: Dell SP2309W 23-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor $396.91 (Dell)
Speakers: Creative GigaWorks S750 700 Watts 7.1 Speaker$574.61 (NCIX, shipping not included)
Headset: Logitech G35 Gaming Headphone $145.76 (Bewawa)
Printer: Brother MFC-795cw Inkjet AiO Printer Wireless$204.27 (NCIX)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='spraypaintnink']Computer noob here. I just bought a pc yesterday and I'm in the process of upgrading it. I got a geforce 9800gt video card and a Cooler Master Silent Pro M600 Modular 600-Watt that I need to install. Are those easy to do, or should I take it to geek squad?

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-dx4831-01e/4505-3118_7-33964710.html?tag=lia;rcol

Yeah, I'll echo paz9x, both are very easy to do.

For the video card, you just need to pop out the old one, and pop in the new one. Make sure everything is lined up and it should just fit nicely. Depending on your case, you might have to screw in the back plate.

For the power supply, just take out the old one, mount the new one, make sure everything is aligned, screw it in if you have to, and start plugging away.

For nearly all computer parts, you never actually need to apply real force to plug stuff in. You could pretty much do a lot of installation using your pinky fingers, if you wanted.

[quote name='MiNuN']Anyways here it is! MiNuN's Monster Version 4. Please comment as you feel![/QUOTE]

Stop clogging up this thread with your stupid bullshit.

[quote name='Sporadic']Stop clogging up this thread with your stupid bullshit.[/QUOTE]

spoiler tag it or edit your original post.

Bad choice on the monitor. Those touch-capacitive buttons aren't gonna last. Then again, you should have no problem having to spend $400 on a monitor again in a few years.

[quote name='Sporadic']Stop clogging up this thread with your stupid bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Just put that cat on ignore. Working harder and spending more for less makes no sense Especially on this forum.

[quote name='Megazell']Working harder and spending more for less makes no sense Especially on this forum.[/QUOTE]

That's not entirely true, as that's about as high end a PC as you can possibly get. At the same time, you can easily build a system that will get you 95% of that machine's performance at 25-30% of the price.

[quote name='saturnotaku']That's not entirely true, as that's about as high end a PC as you can possibly get. At the same time, you can easily build a system that will get you 95% of that machine's performance at 25-30% of the price.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but on forum devoted to 'cheap ass' related topics...it's out of place.

Anyway, I know cats like him in RL they get quite pissed when they bring their monster rigs to LAN Parties and see machines that cost $200 to $500 performing as well or out performing their own. :)

I have to agree with everyone else. Now, I'm a complete fucking retard when it comes to the hardware side (though I have changed out ram on my first computer 12 years ago and added an another hdd to my last puter a few years ago) and earlier today I made my way through putting in a new psu (corsair 650w) and new gpu (Sapphire 5770 Vapor-X). Only problems I had was putting a sata connector into my HDD and figuring out how to go about tying up the rest of the cords (really wish I spent the extra cash on a module psu). Wouldn't trust myself to build a computer from scratch but putting new components in have been easy (still doesn't mean I haven't been scared shit-less when doing so though).

As for douche bag, I giggle at the almost $900 case. It doesn't even look good, especially if it's going to be used as an actual PC

[quote name='fart_bubble']As for douche bag, I giggle at the almost $900 case. It doesn't even look good, especially if it's going to be used as an actual PC[/QUOTE]

Douche bag? Where did that come from? Just because he wants to buy the case?:roll:

I like how there's some kind of cut out cardboard on the forums "You must be this cheap to post and ask questions."

Throughout the thread since MiNuM posted his ridiculous plans, people have constantly reminded him of the concepts of price to performance. It doesn't matter to him, so your crying falls on deaf ears. If it really bothers you people that much or you think he's some kind of troll, you all can ignore him using the little button "ignore user" and pretend he never had any plans to spend money on a computer and you all can live happier lives. Everyone wins!

[quote name='MiNuM']
Question, DVI or HDMI? From what I gathered, Single-link DVI can only go up to 1920X1200 resolutions, but Dual-link DVI can maximize my monitor's resolution, HDMI ports audio as well (Which I do not care about) but I think a single HDMI cable can maximize my monitor's resolution? correct?

The reason for the monitor switch is because it is like the previous one I chose except performance falls just a tiny bit in areas I do not care about (Like the brightness), it is much cheaper and the web-camera makes up for its fall in performance. It also has touch-sensitive buttons! (I am a fan of those =P)

What do you guys think of the R.A.M.?

Anyways here it is! MiNuN's Monster Version 4. Please comment as you feel!

Personal Computer build nicknamed 'MiNuN's Monster'

Goal: High-End Super Gaming; with the latest technology available to the public.

Specifications to work with;
6 X 240-pin (-3 used up by R.A.M.)
3 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 (x16/x16/x1) or (x16/x8/x8) (-1 x16 used up by Video Card)
1 X PCI Express X1
2 X PCI (-1 used up by Wireless Card) (-1 used up by Sound Card)
6 X SATA 3 GB/s (-1 used up by 2TB HDD) (-1 used up by SSD)
2 X SATA 6 GB/s
3 X External 5.25" Drive Bays (-1 used up by DVD Drive)
6 X Internal 3.5" Drive Bays (-1 used up by 2TB HDD) (-1 used up by SSD)
8 X Rear Expansion Slots (-1 used up by Video Card) (-1 used up by Wireless Card) (-1 used up by Sound Card)
1 X IEEE 139.4A
1 x Front eSata Port
1 x VGA
1 x DVI
1 X HDMI (-1 used up by Monitor)
1 X DisplayPort
1 X S/PDIF OUT Optical
1 X S/PDIF OUT Coaxial
1 x Front HD Audio Ports
6 X Rear HD Audio Ports
4 X Monitor 2.0 USB Ports
4 X Front 2.0 USB Ports
4 X Rear 2.0 USB Ports (-1 used up by G19)
2 X Rear 3.0 USB Ports
2 X Keyboard 2.0 USB Ports (-1 used up by X8) (-1 used up by G35)
2 X PS/2
MoBo Power Pin = 24-Pin

Newegg.ca = $2,753.15, Tiger Direct = $350.70, NCIX = $3,057.50, Bewawa = $672.32, Others = $568.40. Total = $7,402.07, Left over = $2,597.93.

P.C. Case: Thermaltake Level 10 VL30001N1Z BlackAluminumATXSuperFullTower Gaming Station Computer Case $893.53 (NCIX)
Processor: Intel BX80613i7980X Core i7 980X Extreme Edition Processor $1,221.23 (Newegg)
R.A.M.: Patriot Gamer Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PGS312G1600ELK $766.69 (Newegg)
Hard-Disk Drive/Solid-State Drive: Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $248.58 (Newegg), Western Digital RE4 WD2003FYYS 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive$323.17 (Bewawa)

EXTRAS:

PERIPHERALS:
Mouse surface: RAZER Megasoma Professional Gaming Mouse Mat $56.49 (CC) & RAZER Destructor Professional Gaming Mat $62.00 (NCIX)
Speakers: Creative GigaWorks S750 700 Watts 7.1 Speaker$574.61 (NCIX, shipping not included)
Printer: Brother MFC-795cw Inkjet AiO Printer Wireless$204.27 (NCIX)
[/quote]

DVI or HDMI shouldn't really matter. Easy answer: Whatever cables you have on hand. Some people think they can see a difference between the two, so if you really wanted, just try them both out to see yourself. My preference: DVI since have have extras lying around.

RAM in general is more expensive nowadays than ever before, so if you can go cheaper, this would be a place to start. By the time you actually might NEED 24gigs, the RAM compatible with your mobo might be out of production. Otherwise, Patriot is a decent brand with decent performance.

I agree with CoffeeEdge. If you really value the touch inputs on a monitor, go for it. But you can find better (and perhaps larger) monitors for cheaper.

[quote name='kilm']Douche bag? Where did that come from? Just because he wants to buy the case?:roll:[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna guess you've never read any of his posts before. He's like your neighbor's poodle that constantly yelps for no reason. It's cute at first but after awhile, you just want to pooch kick it

[quote name='fart_bubble']I'm gonna guess you've never read any of his posts before. He's like your neighbor's poodle that constantly yelps for no reason. It's cute at first but after awhile, you just want to pooch kick it[/QUOTE]

That makes no sense.

So he's a douche bag because he's a poodle that you want to kick?

[quote name='kilm']That makes no sense.[/QUOTE]

It's hard to ignore him since he posts alot, makes grand proclamations like "Anyways here it is! MiNuN's Monster Version x" as if we are waiting with bated breath on what type of mistake he made now and drives other people to comment on whatever nonsense he is saying now...whether it is people like me calling him a retard or people like you that are still trying to help him...which crowds out legit questions.

see:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7233700&postcount=674
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7234226&postcount=677
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7238671&postcount=699

oh wait a second, never mind, you are the guy who thinks I'm jealous :roll:

[quote name='Sporadic']It's hard to ignore him since he posts alot, makes grand proclamations like "Anyways here it is! MiNuN's Monster Version x" as if we are waiting with bated breath on what type of mistake he made now and drives other people to comment on whatever nonsense he is saying now...whether it is people like me calling him a retard or people like you that are still trying to help him...which crowds out legit questions.

see:

oh wait a second, never mind, you are the guy who thinks I'm jealous :roll:[/QUOTE]

I never said you were jealous. :roll: Good try, though.

What is the point of linking those specific posts? To show me you're still angry? That's a VERY cool story, bro.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Bad choice on the monitor. Those touch-capacitive buttons aren't gonna last. Then again, you should have no problem having to spend $400 on a monitor again in a few years.[/QUOTE]

Well now, you can clearly explain to me why the buttons would not last? (My experience with my HDTV, iPod touch & PS3 says your wrong) Sorry to disappoint, but when I buy things, I think long-term.

[quote name='paz9x']spoiler tag it or edit your original post.[/QUOTE]

You know...the post is not really that big (or as huge as you guys make it sound)...people are just upset seeing it for other reasons. *Sigh*

[quote name='Megazell']Yeah but on forum devoted to 'cheap ass' related topics...it's out of place.

Anyway, I know cats like him in RL they get quite pissed when they bring their monster rigs to LAN Parties and see machines that cost $200 to $500 performing as well or out performing their own. [/QUOTE]

If I was not cheap, would not I be buying all the parts within one location, instead of using my hours to looking for the cheapest price for each product possible?

First of all, you have never met a person like I, so you don't know. I do not go to LAN parties bringing my Desktop, instead I would bring a simple laptop to enjoy the game and have fun with others, that or I just bring a mouse and keyboard if my friend has an extra computer there (I really do not go to LAN parties...it is more like going to a friend's place).

I do not care if somebody else's PC can "out perform" mine, because I am happy with what I chosen, I mean it is pretty obvious that people who over-clock PCs can reach the specs of my Rig with cheaper products.

And Just to show off my Rig? ha ha ha, that is hilarious, I mean yeah I love the way Level-10 looks but I am not going to annoy others to share my paradigm, instead I let other judge it by themselves and respond to their comments. People who show off are douches and are nothing special, just wanting some attention.

I mean I have a special edition DS Lite "The World Ends with You" edition straight from Japan that probably cost 2x or 3x as much as any other DS Lite for retail over here, I do not go to others and says "OMG Mine is from Japan and it looks way better than yours, the fact I spent more proves that" No, I bought it because I like it.

I apologize for the long response, but I really hate people who says "Oh, I know people like him/her/them", I really hope you do not say that IRL, else your an annoyance to others.

In other words people, I think you guys should be more open minded, because negative comments are not necessary at all.

[quote name='fart_bubble']
As for douche bag, I giggle at the almost $900 case. It doesn't even look good, especially if it's going to be used as an actual PC[/QUOTE]

Looks good to me, and that is all that matters.

[quote name='kilm']Douche bag? Where did that come from? Just because he wants to buy the case?:roll:

I like how there's some kind of cut out cardboard on the forums "You must be this cheap to post and ask questions."

Throughout the thread since MiNuM posted his ridiculous plans, people have constantly reminded him of the concepts of price to performance. It doesn't matter to him, so your crying falls on deaf ears. If it really bothers you people that much or you think he's some kind of troll, you all can ignore him using the little button "ignore user" and pretend he never had any plans to spend money on a computer and you all can live happier lives. Everyone wins!
[/QUOTE]

If there was a "Best Reply" button, this would be it for I. I came to this thread for help and understanding about what I am doing in terms of my ridiculous rig. It is not really on deaf ears because this is what I want, but I do understand where everybody else is coming from!:bouncy:

[quote name='fart_bubble']I'm gonna guess you've never read any of his posts before. He's like your neighbor's poodle that constantly yelps for no reason. It's cute at first but after awhile, you just want to pooch kick it[/QUOTE]

It would give me a peace of mind if you would stop reading my posts.

[quote name='Sporadic']It's hard to ignore him since he posts alot, makes grand proclamations like "Anyways here it is! MiNuN's Monster Version x" as if we are waiting with bated breath on what type of mistake he made now and drives other people to comment on whatever nonsense he is saying now...whether it is people like me calling him a retard or people like you that are still trying to help him...which crowds out legit questions.

see:

oh wait a second, never mind, you are the guy who thinks I'm jealous :roll:[/QUOTE]

I do not look for attention, instead I look for answers and comments relating to the answers I am looking for. Uhh...what to say...It is your choice to comment...? I mean, you do not really have to, right? Does not matter to me, ha ha ha.

I just reply to things about what I have to say about it or how I feel about it, I am very true to myself:bouncy:.

You know, saying "people like you" is extremely rude. I hope you keep that in mind for future reference so you do not use it carelessly around people you hope to impress.

[quote name='fart_bubble']still wishing he would post his questions on Tom's Hardware.[/QUOTE]

Who said I do not? I still am, they are actually have a more positive attitude than you.

@kilm I think he actually cares, he sent me a private message with a link of information I could read up on =).

Alright, I want to make this clear, if you do not like my rig, please ignore it, there are other users who needs help with their computer experience, it would be more productive if you attended to those people instead of wasting your time (and mine) commenting about your feeling towards my rig without any helpful information to improve it. I am still looking for help and that is why, till the end and I am ready to build my rig, I will continue to seek advice on this thread. I am asking you all to be mature.

[quote name='MiNuN']I am still looking for help and that is why, till the end and I am ready to build my rig, I will continue to seek advice on this thread. I am asking you all to be mature.[/QUOTE]

so in other words, you will fill up this thread with your SUPER BUSTA BUSTA BUSTA BUSTA MONSTER RIG posts till this board finally closes

[quote name='MiNuN']
You know...the post is not really that big (or as huge as you guys make it sound)...people are just upset seeing it for other reasons. *Sigh*
[/QUOTE]

its not just a size issue, its largely the same content youve posted numerous times with one or two items altered.
its just bad etiquette, along with the large brightly colored text you chose.
I get you care only about what you think but its a community forum.

Your posts can be baffling. you talk about wanting the best because you will know it is the best and then cutting corners in areas that effect daily useage to spend in areas that offer very very little noticable performance difference over significantly less expensive alternatives.

Im only commenting because I think you honestly dont know and will regret certain decisions after youve had some experience.

[quote name='MiNuN']

EXTRAS:

PERIPHERALS:
Printer: Brother MFC-795cw Inkjet AiO Printer Wireless$204.27 (NCIX)[/QUOTE]

I'll critique your build. I've built enough computers in my life so you can (if you want) trust my opinions on what you have.

First and foremost, get rid of that Thermaltake Level 10 case. No not because it's stupid expensive, not because it's so unique only a handful of people in the world has it and that we all jealous. That case has no 'future proofing' in it. You cannot do custom watercooling, cooling of each component is only adequate at best, NO USB 3.0 ports, and of course, no fancy windows to see your sexy components. That means your components inside can bake and cook and you can't do much about it, other than adding noisy 120/140mm fans that can move air. I would look into Lian Li cases at your budget. They have some of the best aluminum cases for high end systems. While the Level 10 is made out of plastic and steel.

Second, ditch that Ultra POS PSU. Get some better brand with better reliability:
SILVERSTONE ST1500 1500W ATX SLI Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Power Supply - $350
Antec TPQ-1200 1200W SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Power Supply - $260

Third, hope you're not serious about that CPU cooler. Get the best of the best: Prolimatech Megahalems. It's so good it doesn't come with default factory low quality fans. You have to pair the Megahalems with two Scythe Gentle Typhoons 1850RPM which gives you the best push/pull configuration without ear-raping you.

Lastly (for now anyway), I don't believe in paying more for the mechanical hard drive than the SSD. Swap the budget, get the WD 2TB Black and opt for the fastest SSD, the OCZ Vertex 2.

[quote name='paz9x']its not just a size issue, its largely the same content youve posted numerous times with one or two items altered.
its just bad etiquette, along with the large brightly colored text you chose.
I get you care only about what you think but its a community forum.

Your posts can be baffling. you talk about wanting the best because you will know it is the best and then cutting corners in areas that effect daily useage to spend in areas that offer very very little noticable performance difference over significantly less expensive alternatives.

Im only commenting because I think you honestly dont know and will regret certain decisions after youve had some experience.[/QUOTE]

You are correct. I have gone back to my first post and spoiler tagged all my rigs posted.

I do want the best, I do not understand the cutting corners part, so it would be helpful if you would just point them out.

Okay for 3d gaming,which graphics card would you recommend? Currently I have the geforce 9800 gt, but on the nvidia site it says that isn't compatable with blu ray 3d playback? Is there a better one I should be getting? I bought the acer 3d monitor and nvidia glasses already so I'm good to go. I just want 3d blu ray playback since I already have a blu ray drive. Thanks.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-visi...uirements.html

@SOSTropper

Sorry, but I am going to keep the Level-10, I absolutely love the design on that case, I do not plan on using any type of water cooling at all, but if I did I am sure it would work out somehow in the Level-10. The MoBo has enough USB 3.0, I am currently looking at the UD9 and will buy it, if it fits in the Level-10. I can always open the Level-10 from the side to see the insides (not like I want to see the insides anyways).

I will be keeping the CPU cooler.

I will check out those Lian Li and other PSUs.

I agree with you on your stance on HDD as of currently. I will be keeping my HDD unless you provide details on why the Black is better.

I am currently looking in to faster SSD (Will check out the one you posted).

Thank you and I hope you will keep watching over my rig!

[quote name='spraypaintnink']Okay for 3d gaming,which graphics card would you recommend? Currently I have the geforce 9800 gt, but on the nvidia site it says that isn't compatable with blu ray 3d playback? Is there a better one I should be getting? I bought the acer 3d monitor and nvidia glasses already so I'm good to go. I just want 3d blu ray playback since I already have a blu ray drive. Thanks.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-visi...uirements.html[/QUOTE]
Well, you'll want to buy the best you can afford, for 3D gaming, since it pretty much literally doubles the graphics computation requirement. How much do you want to spend?

[quote name='MiNuN']Well now, you can clearly explain to me why the buttons would not last? (My experience with my HDTV, iPod touch & PS3 says your wrong)[/quote]
They're simply not going to last as long as regular push buttons.

Sorry to disappoint, but when I buy things, I think long-term.
HAHAHAHAH no you don't. How do you think you can say that when you're building a PC that will be obsolete in 3 years? Or is that "long-term"? Sorry to disappoint, but there is no such thing as "long-term," in desktop computing. Even your $9000 won't change that.

[quote name='Sporadic']It's hard to ignore him since he posts alot, makes grand proclamations like "Anyways here it is! MiNuN's Monster Version x" as if we are waiting with bated breath on what type of mistake he made now and drives other people to comment on whatever nonsense he is saying now[/QUOTE]
Quoted cause it made me laff. Indeed, the way he "introduces" his parts lists is ridiculous.

Minun, you've hijacked this thread long enough. You've asked enough questions, and deliberated about minute bullshit for as long as could possibly be necessary or beneficial. You're set. Ready to go. Buy the parts, and build your fucking PC, so we can talk about something else in this thread again.

[quote name='MiNuN']@SOSTropper

Sorry, but I am going to keep the Level-10, I absolutely love the design on that case, I do not plan on using any type of water cooling at all, but if I did I am sure it would work out somehow in the Level-10. The MoBo has enough USB 3.0, I am currently looking at the UD9 and will buy it, if it fits in the Level-10. I can always open the Level-10 from the side to see the insides (not like I want to see the insides anyways).

I will be keeping the CPU cooler.

I will check out those Lian Li and other PSUs.

I agree with you on your stance on HDD as of currently. I will be keeping my HDD unless you provide details on why the Black is better.

I am currently looking in to faster SSD (Will check out the one you posted).

Thank you and I hope you will keep watching over my rig![/QUOTE]

Unless you have already bought the Tuniq Tower cooler, or just plain love its look, keep in mind it's only a mediocre cooler. It had superb performance cooling the older LGA775 and AM2 during the good ol' days 3 or 4 years ago, but many better coolers have come out since then. Now since Tuniq never really re-engineered the foundation of the cooler, it's only subpar in cooling i7 CPUs during full load. Check out this review of it and you'll see it just performs quite poorly even versus other mediocre cooler. Trust me, you won't regret getting the Megahalems.

Black and RE4 are essentially the same drive in terms of performance. RE4 costs more because it is designed to run 24/7 in server environment, while Black is designed to run in home computers. Both drives are going to perform the same inside your computer, I was just trying to offset the cost a bit and give some budget to a better SSD, so I picked the Black.

[quote name='spraypaintnink']Okay for 3d gaming,which graphics card would you recommend? Currently I have the geforce 9800 gt, but on the nvidia site it says that isn't compatable with blu ray 3d playback? Is there a better one I should be getting? I bought the acer 3d monitor and nvidia glasses already so I'm good to go. I just want 3d blu ray playback since I already have a blu ray drive. Thanks.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-visi...uirements.html[/QUOTE]

GTX 480, plain and simple.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']GTX 480, plain and simple.[/QUOTE]

I thought that thing was a heat blaster and a power hog?

Wouldn't he be better off getting something cheaper like a GTX 260 to hold him over until Nvidia pulls their act together? - edit Granted I've been out of the graphics card scene for awhile so it's possible I'm way off base here.

[quote name='Sporadic']I thought that thing was a heat blaster and a power hog?

Wouldn't he be better off getting something cheaper like a GTX 260 to hold him over until Nvidia pulls their act together? - edit Granted I've been out of the graphics card scene for awhile so it's possible I'm way off base here.[/QUOTE]

lol I wasn't really serious in the answer, he didn't give us a budget he would like to work with.

Wow a 500 dollar video card, I wish. That's almost more than I payed for my computer lol. Anyways, thanks for the suggestion. It looks like the geforce gtx 260 will work, right?

Yeah GTX 260 will work in you favor.

**EDIT** It seems like GTX 200 series card do not have native 3D Blu-ray playback support. So it's going to rely on your CPU 100% for the decoding process. So make sure you have a high clocking Core 2 Duo or a quad core CPU.

** Blu-ray 3D GPU decode acceleration is not supported on these models. Please insure that your CPU is fast enough to handle video decode (a quad-core CPU recommended)"

I forgot what I came here for a few minutes ago:

It looks like Newegg is going to have the Antec TruePower 550W PSU for $40 after $20 rebate starting 6/7 midnight PST (in 1.5 hrs). Looks to be a good upgrade if you're still rocking an old 350W or some no brander and want something more reliable. This Antec PSU can power up to HD 5850 or GTX 470.

I think the GTX 260 would be fine for playing back Blu-rays, though it would probably have a harder time for games. The GTX 465 just came out and would perform better, but is really overpriced at the $280 it goes for right now.

[quote name='Mid Boss']I think the GTX 260 would be fine for playing back Blu-rays, though it would probably have a harder time for games. The GTX 465 just came out and would perform better, but is really overpriced at the $280 it goes for right now.[/QUOTE]

That's the one I was contemplating getting. I think the GTX 465 would be worth it considering I spent over 600 just on the monitor/3d glasses lol. Will I be okay with these specs to play games? I'll probably just play games like l4d2 and stuff. I got the 4831-01e

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Yeah GTX 260 will work in you favor.

**EDIT** It seems like GTX 200 series card do not have native 3D Blu-ray playback support. So it's going to rely on your CPU 100% of the decoding process. So make sure you have a high clocking Core 2 Duo or a quad core CPU.

I forgot what I came here for a few minutes ago:

It looks like Newegg is going to have the Antec TruePower 550W PSU for $40 after $20 rebate starting 6/7 midnight PST (in 1.5 hrs). Looks to be a good upgrade if you're still rocking an old 350W or some no brander and want something more reliable. This Antec PSU can power up to HD 5850 or GTX 470.[/QUOTE]

I ordered this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NJ0CYG/ref=oss_product a few days ago. My PSU is only 300 watt currently.

Awesome, thanks for helping me out. This is my first comp, I've always been a 360 gamer but I wanted to try it out because of the 3d so I was kinda clueless to what I needed to make it happen.

bread's done
Back