The Ultimate 'Build-A-PC' Thread. Complete With Pricings & Recommendations (06/06/10)

[quote name='BackInBlack']Hey CAG! By following the 1200 dollar build. This is what I want. I really don't know what MOBO to get. What would you recommend if I'm getting the Radeon 5830?
Will need to be a MOBO for triple channel memory.

Product Description Savings Total Price select item 1 quantity of item 1
11-119-194-16.jpg

COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper SGC-6000-KXN1-GP Black Steel, ABS Plastic, Mesh bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Item #: N82E16811119194Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$30.00 Instant
$159.99$129.99 select item 2 quantity of item 2
14-121-367-03.jpg

ASUS EAH5830 DIRECTCU/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video ... Item #: N82E16814121367Return Policy: VGA Replacement Only Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options14-121-367|hide options14-121-367)

Service Net Replacement Extended Warranty The product will be replaced and shipped directly to you at no charge.(more info14-121-367.0.120)

• 1 year: $25.99
  • 2 year: $45.99

$20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card14-121-367 $219.99 select item 3 quantity of item 3
17-139-005-12.jpg

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 ... Item #: N82E16817139005Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$30.00 Instant
$10.00 Mail-in Rebate Card17-139-005 $119.99$89.99 select item 4 quantity of item 4
20-231-223-05.jpg

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ Item #: N82E16820231223Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy

$134.99 select item 5 quantity of item 5
19-115-225-02.jpg

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930 Item #: N82E16819115225Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options19-115-225|hide options19-115-225)

Service Net Replacement Extended Warranty The product will be replaced and shipped directly to you at no charge.(more info19-115-225.0.120)

• 1 year: $29.99
  • 2 year: $54.99

$289.99 Subtotal: $864.95
[/QUOTE]

The i7 950 will be the same price at the end of the month.

[quote name='jenksalot']The i7 950 will be the same price at the end of the month.[/QUOTE]

Duly noted. I can wait until the 29th.
On topic...what are good tech/computer news,blogs to follow if I'm interested in keeping up with that sort of thing?

Just got back from NJ. My Brother in Law gave me his last computer but I need a CPU and Graphics card really.

He gave me this board and a really nice Tower and PSU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...358&cm_re=GA-EP45-UD3p-_-13-128-358-_-Product

I have a good HD I'll reformat and use, and 4 gb's of memory and 2 DVD drives.

So I need a good quad core or dual core ( I don't mind running games at max but I think APB and newer ones need a quad core correct? also since this is my computer for my room and I want it to be able to kill games) Windows (Doesn't have to be 7, I do like Windows XP Media Center) and of course graphics card. Thanks for the help once again guys!

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Just got back from NJ. My Brother in Law gave me his last computer but I need a CPU and Graphics card really.

He gave me this board and a really nice Tower and PSU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...358&cm_re=GA-EP45-UD3p-_-13-128-358-_-Product

I have a good HD I'll reformat and use, and 4 gb's of memory and 2 DVD drives.

So I need a good quad core or dual core ( I don't mind running games at max but I think APB and newer ones need a quad core correct? also since this is my computer for my room and I want it to be able to kill games) Windows (Doesn't have to be 7, I do like Windows XP Media Center) and of course graphics card. Thanks for the help once again guys![/QUOTE]

Budget? You might want to look at

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.460606
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.460598

Maybe you want something more powerful, something more affordable. Depends on the budget.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Not bad but I still need Windows though :/[/QUOTE]

True, I didn't read that part.

Yeah, if those parts you listed is what you think you need, go for it. The graphics cards seems lacking, but if you think it'll serve your purposes... CPU is decent

Hey guys what would you guys recommend as a cheap set of 2.1 speakers (the $20-$30 range). I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a pair due to the fact that they will only get very limited use (I use headphones most of the time but sometimes I would like speakers when watching a movie or something).

I have no clue what brands are good for speakers and my budget is really in the $20-$30 range, I really don't want to go any higher.

Thanks

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I just never know what Windows to go with, either 32 or 64 bit.[/QUOTE]

You have a lot of memory, getting a decent processor, go with 64 bit.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Hey guys what would you guys recommend as a cheap set of 2.1 speakers (the $20-$30 range)[/quote]

something like this maybe?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121019

If you have a frys or microcenter, sometimes their B&M will have some nice sales on 2.1 name brand speakers

Update on my computer... Should be putting it together on tuesday if everything gets delivered... I went ahead and got the 8GB RAM because I got a good deal on it and I had a newegg gift card, so that worked out...

Thermaltake V9 Black Edition Mid Tower Case
Corsair 850W CATX CPU Power Supply
MSI 870G45 AM3 AMD 870 ATX Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Six Core Processor
Western Digital 2TB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
Corsair 8 GB RAM DDR3 1600
LG CD/DVD Reader/Writer Combo 22X
2X Sapphire Radeon 5750HD GDDR5 Graphics Cards (2GB Total)
Monitor -I choose to use my small older 36" Dell TV as the monitor...
Windows 7 64-BIT Ultimate Edition

Still Need/Maybes-
Keyboard
Mouse
Sound Card ? -Will use the 7.1 sound from motherboard for now
Network Card -Will use motherboard for now
Blu-Ray Drive (LG) -Maybe sometime down the road

I guess tuesday I will finally get back into PC gaming XD

[quote name='H4Y4TO']Update on my computer... Should be putting it together on tuesday if everything gets delivered... I went ahead and got the 8GB RAM because I got a good deal on it and I had a newegg gift card, so that worked out...

Thermaltake V9 Black Edition Mid Tower Case
Corsair 850W CATX CPU Power Supply
MSI 870G45 AM3 AMD 870 ATX Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Six Core Processor
Western Digital 2TB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
Corsair 8 GB RAM DDR3 1600
LG CD/DVD Reader/Writer Combo 22X
2X Sapphire Radeon 5750HD GDDR5 Graphics Cards (2GB Total)
Monitor -I choose to use my small older 36" Dell TV as the monitor...
Windows 7 64-BIT Ultimate Edition

Still Need/Maybes-
Keyboard
Mouse

I guess tuesday I will finally get back into PC gaming XD[/QUOTE]

i wouldnt worry about blu ray unless you plan on using it for movies. you dont need it for games.

sound/network card should be just find using the on board.

keyboard and mouse, depending on what you want you could easily spend over $100 on these or you could get a cheap combo (which i use) for $20-$30.

other than that, you look big pimpin. is all this ordered already? you could probably get a 1TB hdd instead of 2 and get a blu ray for the same price if you wanted.

Anybody have a web site that helps you describe how to put a computer together? I got the parts today and would like to read something that you guys find trustworthy or useful while I put the CPU together. I read something today about applying thermal glue to the processor and thought, maybe I don't have to do this any more(the video/site looks dated).

Thanks!

[quote name='Game_Dude_3']Anybody have a web site that helps you describe how to put a computer together? I got the parts today and would like to read something that you guys find trustworthy or useful while I put the CPU together. I read something today about applying thermal glue to the processor and thought, maybe I don't have to do this any more(the video/site looks dated).

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Here's onee from 2005 that shoudl eb good enough to help you.

http://www.corsair.com/systembuild/report.aspx?report_id=12472

[quote name='Game_Dude_3']Anybody have a web site that helps you describe how to put a computer together? I got the parts today and would like to read something that you guys find trustworthy or useful while I put the CPU together. I read something today about applying thermal glue to the processor and thought, maybe I don't have to do this any more(the video/site looks dated).

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Here's a somewhat recent video about building a computer

http://www.tested.com/news/video-how-to-build-the-best-1500-gaming-pc-step-by-step/152/

Okay when I bought my PC I had no intentions of using it as a gaming computer....but I want to fully change that. I bought a case when I didnt think I was going to be gaming that came with a pre-installed 300w PSU , I want to purchase one of these : http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276574&Sku=ULT-LSP550 BUT the fan is on top of the PSU but on the 300w preinstalled PSU the air blows out the back of my case....so what can I do ?

any help would be great.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Okay when I bought my PC I had no intentions of using it as a gaming computer....but I want to fully change that. I bought a case when I didnt think I was going to be gaming that came with a pre-installed 300w PSU , I want to purchase one of these : http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276574&Sku=ULT-LSP550 BUT the fan is on top of the PSU but on the 300w preinstalled PSU the air blows out the back of my case....so what can I do ?

any help would be great.[/QUOTE]

I think you can turn it upside down

Thanks![/QUOTE]

make sure you ground yourself before touching any components.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']if I do that it will hit my case fan :cry::cry:[/QUOTE]

how is that possible? all six sides are flat. There should be a dedicated place where you can mount the psu....

[quote name='iRent']how is that possible? all six sides are flat. There should be a dedicated place where you can mount the psu....[/QUOTE]

okay do you think if I take pictures you can tell me how ?

Hey possibly off topic but do I need to buy something extra to make my PC recognize a standard wireless Xbox 360 controller? I'm putting my PC together at the end of the month and would like to have any and all components ordered beforehand. Thanks again!

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']i wouldnt worry about blu ray unless you plan on using it for movies. you dont need it for games.

sound/network card should be just find using the on board.

keyboard and mouse, depending on what you want you could easily spend over $100 on these or you could get a cheap combo (which i use) for $20-$30.

other than that, you look big pimpin. is all this ordered already? you could probably get a 1TB hdd instead of 2 and get a blu ray for the same price if you wanted.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Man! Yeah I just wanted to make sure that I will not need to buy another computer for at least another 10 years... LOL

[quote name='H4Y4TO']

Still Need/Maybes-
Keyboard
Mouse

I guess tuesday I will finally get back into PC gaming XD[/QUOTE]

The keyboard doesn't matter much as long as it feels comfortable to type on.

The mouse I would suggest if you are going to go gaming, get a gaming mouse. You should notice the higher dpi, plus some have programmable buttons (I have my G5 control my volume, and have the back and foward webpage buttons). Any mouse will work, but I had better results with a gaming mouse due to the higher dpi.

You don't need sound or network cards snce you already got 7.1 sound, and you got built in networking. I would use that money on some good speakers.

I would wait for a Blu Ray drive (until they are uber cheap because only movies use them right now) but that's up to you.

[quote name='H4Y4TO']Thanks Man! Yeah I just wanted to make sure that I will not need to buy another computer for at least another 10 years... LOL[/QUOTE]

i think youll be set for a while. i just checked new egg and the difference in price for a 1tb and 2tb isnt as big as i thought.

I just finished building my computer the other night and well...I'm getting no signal on my TV(Vizio). The computer boots up fine and everything seems to be plugged in and it works...but I get no signal. I'm using a DVI-to-HDMI cable. Any idea why it wouldn't show up?

It turns on, all the LEDs are on, the disk drive works...everything seems to be functioning. But I can't get a display.

[quote name='Game_Dude_3']I just finished building my computer the other night and well...I'm getting no signal on my TV(Vizio). The computer boots up fine and everything seems to be plugged in and it works...but I get no signal. I'm using a DVI-to-HDMI cable. Any idea why it wouldn't show up?

It turns on, all the LEDs are on, the disk drive works...everything seems to be functioning. But I can't get a display.[/QUOTE]

have you tried just hooking it to an old monitor to see if it works that way ?

[quote name='Game_Dude_3']I just finished building my computer the other night and well...I'm getting no signal on my TV(Vizio). The computer boots up fine and everything seems to be plugged in and it works...but I get no signal. I'm using a DVI-to-HDMI cable. Any idea why it wouldn't show up?

It turns on, all the LEDs are on, the disk drive works...everything seems to be functioning. But I can't get a display.[/QUOTE]

More echo-ing the above posters. Check on a regular monitor. It might not be an issue with your TV, could just be a bad part into your computer even if everything "seems to be plugged in and it works." Hard to tell if it works when you can't see it working.

I wish I had a monitor with a DVI plug! That's all my new PC takes - DVI.

So far, I know for sure the power supply and the CD drive works. It's either the processor, motherboard, or graphics card at fault here - if any, really. I'll take it to CompUSA and see if they can hook it up to a monitor there.

Thanks guys!

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Your PC Should take VGA also, isn't that standard now a days?[/QUOTE]

DVI is the new standard....atleast thats what I thought came integrated on my motherboard before I got a video card.

I need some help big time. I want to build a computer...and I have done memory upgrades, hard drive swaps, etc. but never a full build. Now I figure I'll try to give as much info as I can because honestly I'm starting to question everything...I think mainly because I don't know where to start.

I wanted to try and build a small form factor rig and also stay someone on a budget...let's say about $500. I had posted another thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270530 asking for help. Mid Boss was kind enough to revise my newegg list with this one http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=13746125 which seemed like a viable option. The SG07 case after reading reviews seems to have great airflow for something this small and can even hold a Radeon 5970. But...shosh made a valid point of getting an Antec 300 case and getting more bang for the money so...

I'm a bit at a loss so maybe my main goal would help to figure it out...

I got an M11x (R1) with a dual core SU7300 & Nvidia GT335 1GB and it seems to run my games well. I was kind of looking to match it's performance in a desktop. Not sure how desktop cards relate to a mobile card like this. I know a desktop is a different type of animal so I list what I know:

My monitor is small and max resolution is 1440x900
The games I have right now are Portal, Borderlands, Street Fighter IV, and Resident Evil 4.
I'd probably like the machine to be at least a little future proof for some new games as they come out.
I probably won't be overclocking.

Things I already have: Hard Drive, DVD Burner

So now so some pros cons:

ITX Case - Pros: Small Form Factor, use less power?
Cons: Maybe not as upgradable? Probably would only put 1 Hard drive in and no dvd drive.
Antec 300 - Pros: Re-use in upgrades, could hold my 3 1TB drives and DVD Burner
Cons: Might be loud, kind of bulky

I'm starting to wonder if there is something in between that might be the best of both worlds...maybe like a mini tower or something? I'm also not sure how strong of a power supply I would need if I went with the Antec 300 because if I went that big I would probably have 3 hard drives in it along with a DVD burner and a video card.

Can you guys help me find a good starting point and help me match the performance of the M11x?

heres the thing, you have hundreds if not thousands of possible combinations with cases/power supplies. if you want a small pc that packs a punch, you can make it happen. so you gotta decide if you want something compact or something with a little room.

as for your pro con list, a small case wont necessarily use less power. a big case also wont necessarily be louder. id all depends on what you put in the cases. as far as "upgrade ability", youll be able to upgrade your computer with both cases, but of course the antec will hold more.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']heres the thing, you have hundreds if not thousands of possible combinations with cases/power supplies.[/QUOTE]
I think that is where my confusion is starting lol.
[quote name='RAMSTORIA']
if you want a small pc that packs a punch, you can make it happen. so you gotta decide if you want something compact or something with a little room. [/quote]
I would prefer to go small. Maybe I'm way off here but the size of the silverstone case to the antec seems like night and day to me. Maybe its just simply that the silverstone is longer than tall that makes it appear that way. I wanted to do something small but a lot of people in my other thread seem to think it wasn't the best idea and then I see that people are adding all kinds of extra fans to the Antec cases which is making me question the Silverstone build because I'm new to this. Midboss recommended I add a Radeon 4850 for a budget build but I'm not sure how that compares to the M11x video card and if I would need to add more fans or cooling to the silverstone case...it feels a bit like a guessing game...or is that the fun of it?
[quote name='RAMSTORIA']
as for your pro con list, a small case wont necessarily use less power. a big case also wont necessarily be louder. id all depends on what you put in the cases. as far as "upgrade ability", youll be able to upgrade your computer with both cases, but of course the antec will hold more.[/QUOTE]
I kind of figured as much...but maybe I really need to do a bit more research. I'm seeing things like low voltage cards, low profile, etc. etc. It seems to get confusing fast. I think maybe I just need to stick to a plan and figure it out as I go. I guess I can use the newegg build list from Mid Boss as a starting point.

Why not look more at a micro-ATX build, jkam? With a case like this, you could still have a smaller system, be able to include all 3 of your hard drives with your DVD drive and have more upgrade options than a mini-ITX one would provide. Also going with a micro-ATX system would make an AMD build(like this) viable, which tends to be a bit more budget friendly.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']DVI is the new standard....atleast thats what I thought came integrated on my motherboard before I got a video card.[/QUOTE]

Odd, Did not know. Sorta weird though considering most monitors use HDMI or VGA I though, huh. Learn something new everyday I see :D

[quote name='Mid Boss']Why not look more at a micro-ATX build, jkam? With a case like this, you could still have a smaller system, be able to include all 3 of your hard drives with your DVD drive and have more upgrade options than a mini-ITX one would provide. Also going with a micro-ATX system would make an AMD build(like this) viable, which tends to be a bit more budget friendly.[/QUOTE]

Wow! I really like this build...looks good...and this is definitely more along the lines of what I was originally thinking. How does the AMD processor compare to the Intel stuff? Is there a good chart somewhere? Is there a good chart somewhere for Video Cards as well?

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']@jkam does it really matter is it is loud ? I am only asking because that is the last thing I would care about when building a new rig.[/QUOTE]

I guess it doesn't really matter all that much...just don't want it to sound like a jet engine.

[quote name='jkam']Wow! I really like this build...looks good...and this is definitely more along the lines of what I was originally thinking. How does the AMD processor compare to the Intel stuff? Is there a good chart somewhere? Is there a good chart somewhere for Video Cards as well?
[/QUOTE]

The bench feature at Anandtech is really nice for this sort of thing. Just go here, pick out 2 processors to compare and you can see how they each perform at different tasks. They also just added GPUs to the feature so you can see how different graphics cards compare to each other as well.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']@jkam does it really matter is it is loud ? I am only asking because that is the last thing I would care about when building a new rig.[/QUOTE]

I cant answer for him, but i cant stand a noisy pc.

Hello,
I've been looking around at getting a new monitor for awhile now and I am confused if I should get a 16:10 or 16:9 ratio. I will only be using this for games (WoW & Sc2) and the web, never to watch movies. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

bread's done
Back