The Ultimate 'Build-A-PC' Thread. Complete With Pricings & Recommendations (06/06/10)

My parents have asked me to look into building a PC for them as they have no desire to deal with Best Buy again. I haven't been keeping up very much on any components besides video cards, so I'm a little lost when it comes to motherboards/CPUs (RAM, PSU I don't need much help on).

I've already tried the builds in the OP, but the builds don't exist anymore.

Budget is about $400-$500 (including OEM copy of Windows 7) and if possible, they'd like it to be semi-up-to-date. They'd only use it for internet but their PCs have a habit of filling up with tons of spyware and stupid programs. So I was thinking of a cheaper quad-core and 4GB RAM to keep the PC decently fast until I can make it home and clean up their hard drive.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions!

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']My parents have asked me to look into building a PC for them as they have no desire to deal with Best Buy again. I haven't been keeping up very much on any components besides video cards, so I'm a little lost when it comes to motherboards/CPUs (RAM, PSU I don't need much help on).

I've already tried the builds in the OP, but the builds don't exist anymore.

Budget is about $400-$500 (including OEM copy of Windows 7) and if possible, they'd like it to be semi-up-to-date. They'd only use it for internet but their PCs have a habit of filling up with tons of spyware and stupid programs. So I was thinking of a cheaper quad-core and 4GB RAM to keep the PC decently fast until I can make it home and clean up their hard drive.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions![/QUOTE]

Try this

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-overclock-athlon-ii-x3,2811.html

Since you don't need a graphics card, you can substitute a more powerful CPU or something.

Hello fellow system builders,

A family member has requested I build an HTPC for the new TV, and while I'm sure I can figure out the parts (I'm even throwing in a few hand-me-downs) I'm not sure how it'll all fit in a tiny case. Before I totally picked all the parts, I wanted to make sure it'd all fit. To start, here're the old parts I'm throwing in it.

M4A78-M Micro ATX MoBo
Athlon II x2 240 Regor
And some RAM, nothing specific, 2gb.

Hopefully due to the fact it's a micro ATX, it should work with an HTPC case.

The case I was thinking of was this one. It's got a PSU which I like the idea of since I'm not sure what kind of PSU would fit in there.
For the video card, this is my first choice. All 3 ports, form factor. The computer isn't going to be for much if any gaming, just metflix and maybe Blu-ray movies if ever wanted.
Simple inexpensive HD
CD Drive

So my questions are:
Will everything fit?
Is 275w enough to keep this baby afloat?
Are any of these parts horrible?

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Hello fellow system builders,

A family member has requested I build an HTPC for the new TV, and while I'm sure I can figure out the parts (I'm even throwing in a few hand-me-downs) I'm not sure how it'll all fit in a tiny case. Before I totally picked all the parts, I wanted to make sure it'd all fit. To start, here're the old parts I'm throwing in it.

M4A78-M Micro ATX MoBo
Athlon II x2 240 Regor
And some RAM, nothing specific, 2gb.

Hopefully due to the fact it's a micro ATX, it should work with an HTPC case.

The case I was thinking of was this one. It's got a PSU which I like the idea of since I'm not sure what kind of PSU would fit in there.
For the video card, this is my first choice. All 3 ports, form factor. The computer isn't going to be for much if any gaming, just metflix and maybe Blu-ray movies if ever wanted.
Simple inexpensive HD
CD Drive

So my questions are:
Will everything fit?
Is 275w enough to keep this baby afloat?
Are any of these parts horrible?[/QUOTE]

The video card and DVD drive look fine. I'd look at moving up to 1TB for the hard drive though. This Hitachi is only $12 more than the 250GB you were looking at and should be faster as well.

I would definitely suggest looking for a different case/psu combo. 275W is going to be cutting things rather close, especially with the type of lower end PSUs that get bundled with cheaper cases. I'd suggest going for this Antec instead. I know its twice as much as the other one, but I really think it would be worth it for the significant difference in PSU quality. I would not trust a cheap PSU to last long being used anywhere close to full load.

I don't think that one is really better than the Apex you were looking at. I just would not trust a cheap PSU to be able to run so close to its rated power to last long. If you look outside the HTPC cases, you can do a bit better with something that will use a standard ATX power supply. This Cooler Master case/psu combo looks solid and isn't quite as expensive as the Antec.

Oh man, the AMD build I was getting ready to pull the trigger on has been shelved due to my new desire to get the i5 2500k SandyBridge chip. It kicks my AMD pick around the block.

Any suggestions for an LGA 1155 socket motherboard?

[quote name='ZForce915']Oh man, the AMD build I was getting ready to pull the trigger on has been shelved due to my new desire to get the i5 2500k SandyBridge chip. It kicks my AMD pick around the block.

Any suggestions for an LGA 1155 socket motherboard?[/QUOTE]

If you're oc'ing, get a P67 board not an H67.

Hi guys!

After some help from Megazell, I figured out my PC keeps crashing because it is MOST LIKELY overheating. I only have one fan in my computer case. So now I'm trying to figure out where the fans would install (please keep in mind I'm still very new at this, even though I put most of this PC together).

Here are some close up shots of the case. Any idea where the fans would go? Also, how would I remove the front of the case if I need to get the fans in the front?

Thanks for any help!

http://www.ultrafriendsgo.com/casephotos/case1.JPG
http://www.ultrafriendsgo.com/casephotos/case2.JPG
http://www.ultrafriendsgo.com/casephotos/case3.JPG
http://www.ultrafriendsgo.com/casephotos/case4.JPG

[quote name='Trusty Mutsi']Hi guys!

After some help from Megazell, I figured out my PC keeps crashing because it is MOST LIKELY overheating. I only have one fan in my computer case. So now I'm trying to figure out where the fans would install (please keep in mind I'm still very new at this, even though I put most of this PC together).

Here are some close up shots of the case. Any idea where the fans would go? Also, how would I remove the front of the case if I need to get the fans in the front?

Thanks for any help!

http://www.ultrafriendsgo.com/casephotos/case1.JPG
http://www.ultrafriendsgo.com/casephotos/case2.JPG
http://www.ultrafriendsgo.com/casephotos/case3.JPG
http://www.ultrafriendsgo.com/casephotos/case4.JPG[/QUOTE]
Look for some plastic tabs on each side of the front plastic portion of the case, that you can push in and then pull off the front panel.. It might also be attached by screws. It'll just take some trial and error. Does the side panel happen to have a place for a fan?

Also, clean up the wiring the best you can. The air needs to flow through the case and wires all over will hinder that flow. Get some zip ties and see what you can do to move the cables to one side or another.

If you can't figure out how to get the front panel off, you can always use some zip ties to attach a fan to the front or maybe even the HDD cage if you needed to.

[quote name='Trusty Mutsi']All that stuff I wrote + pic.
[/QUOTE]

Hey,

Glad to see you got them pics.

This case has 3 plastic buttons on each side.

You can push one at a time until it gives way. You can use a small flat head screw driver to get the job done with no problem.

The first image has a grill holes where a fan goes but they go on the outside of the aluminum case and within the plastic frame of the front.

Like Law stated you should take some zip ties and tie up the lose cables you have. You can also use them to stream line the IDE cables you are using.

Take that old toothbrush and clean out the power supply fan at the intake grill and output section.

Also can you take a pick of the top of the case? I think you can fit a fan there also.

[quote name='Megazell']Hey,

Glad to see you got them pics.

This case has 3 plastic buttons on each side.

You can push one at a time until it gives way. You can use a small flat head screw driver to get the job done with no problem.

The first image has a grill holes where a fan goes but they go on the outside of the aluminum case and within the plastic frame of the front.

Like Law stated you should take some zip ties and tie up the lose cables you have. You can also use them to stream line the IDE cables you are using.

Take that old toothbrush and clean out the power supply fan at the intake grill and output section.

Also can you take a pick of the top of the case? I think you can fit a fan there also.[/QUOTE]

I'll try to take a pic tonight.

Thanks for the info guys!

I've been having frequent crashed with my custom PC. I just cleaned it out (which I haven't done for YEARS, there was LOTS of dust), and opened up the side panels to see if it's an overheating issue. I'm also thinking of upgrading beyond just one fan.

It also seemed that when the drivers for my Radeon 9600 weren't installed it was more stable, but without them installed it's starting to crash again. We're talking every 5-10 minutes. It doesn't seem as often with the drivers NOT installed.

Megazell suggested I use HighJackThis to post a log of my system, and see if anybody here sees anything fishy.

Thanks for any help.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 10:42:33 PM, on 1/20/2011
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP3 (6.00.2900.5512)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG10\avgrsx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\savedump.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Identity Protection\Agent\Bin\AVGIDSAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgnsx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgemcx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgchsvx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe
C:\Program Files\RocketDock\RocketDock.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Identity Protection\agent\bin\avgidsmonitor.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Harold\My Documents\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

R3 - URLSearchHook: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AVG Security Toolbar - {CCC7A320-B3CA-4199-B1A6-9F516DD69829} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_TRAY] C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [googletalk] C:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe /autostart
O4 - Startup: Shortcut to RocketDock.lnk = C:\Program Files\RocketDock\RocketDock.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O18 - Protocol: avgsecuritytoolbar - {F2DDE6B2-9684-4A55-86D4-E255E237B77C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgpp.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: AVG Security Toolbar Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Toolbar\ToolbarBroker.exe
O23 - Service: AVGIDSAgent - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Identity Protection\Agent\Bin\AVGIDSAgent.exe
O23 - Service: AVG WatchDog (avgwd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe

--
End of file - 3944 bytes

Well, I have started my new computer build that will probably develop slowly piece by piece over the next few months, as I don't have the cash to throw down for everything at once like I did on my last build 4 years ago.

Thus far I have purchased my case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133056&cm_re=thermaltake_armor-_-11-133-056-_-Product

Based on the way it looks, and a bit of loyalty as my last build was in an older style Tt armor case.

I'm going to paint the internal pieces; something I've always thought about on previous builds and never really got around to.

So my only other purchases so far have been a stanley hand rivet gun and a 100 pack of black and 100 pack of red anodized 1/8" aluminum rivets. I've spent the last two nights after work carefully breaking the case down and drilling out the existing rivets so that I can make a professional looking paint job of it. Thinking about running with a medium tone red base for the internals with some blue accents on a few pieces.

Anyone with experience in painting the insides of the case have any pointers or advice on paint brand/type before I head out tomorrow to pick up sandpaper, primer, and paint?

Next up after this will be picking up a few additional case fans, a PSU, and some sleeving material to go with my color scheme. Also something I've always wanted to try.

[quote name='gnargnargnar']Well, I have started my new computer build that will probably develop slowly piece by piece over the next few months, as I don't have the cash to throw down for everything at once like I did on my last build 4 years ago.

Thus far I have purchased my case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133056&cm_re=thermaltake_armor-_-11-133-056-_-Product

Based on the way it looks, and a bit of loyalty as my last build was in an older style Tt armor case.

I'm going to paint the internal pieces; something I've always thought about on previous builds and never really got around to.

So my only other purchases so far have been a stanley hand rivet gun and a 100 pack of black and 100 pack of red anodized 1/8" aluminum rivets. I've spent the last two nights after work carefully breaking the case down and drilling out the existing rivets so that I can make a professional looking paint job of it. Thinking about running with a medium tone red base for the internals with some blue accents on a few pieces.

Anyone with experience in painting the insides of the case have any pointers or advice on paint brand/type before I head out tomorrow to pick up sandpaper, primer, and paint?

Next up after this will be picking up a few additional case fans, a PSU, and some sleeving material to go with my color scheme. Also something I've always wanted to try.[/QUOTE]

there are some realy good guides floating around.
You want the self-etching primer, its an automotive paint. also flat paints require more sanding, satin would probably be ideal.

good luck, its pretty fun.

Hey everyone, I have a couple questions about my computer build. I would like to run sli with my nvidia 9800gtx+ now that they're really cheap. The only problem is that I'm having a hard time finding a sli motherboard that uses the lga 775 (2.4ghz intel core 2 duo) socket, the only ones I could find on newegg were either sold out or discontinued. I was hoping I wouldn't have to upgrade everything (ram psu mobo) but if that is the case what would be some good choices? My budget would be under 250 if possible.

[quote name='n00bie']If you're oc'ing, get a P67 board not an H67.[/QUOTE]

OC doesn't matter. get the p67. The p67 was design to take advantage of the K series. If your not getting a K CPU then get a mobo with H67.

[quote name='jbang']Hey everyone, I have a couple questions about my computer build. I would like to run sli with my nvidia 9800gtx+ now that they're really cheap. The only problem is that I'm having a hard time finding a sli motherboard that uses the lga 775 (2.4ghz intel core 2 duo) socket, the only ones I could find on newegg were either sold out or discontinued. I was hoping I wouldn't have to upgrade everything (ram psu mobo) but if that is the case what would be some good choices? My budget would be under 250 if possible.[/QUOTE]

If you're not ready to upgrade your whole system, why don't you just buy a more powerful single graphics card? You don't need to spend a lot anymore to get a single card that would perform better than 2 9800gtx's. Even a 768MB GTX460 will be a pretty significant upgrade and wouldn't cost all that much. It certainly would be cheaper than the cost of a 2nd 9800 AND an SLI capable motherboard. Plus it's kind of a waste to be buying a 775 motherboard at this point unless you're getting it ridiculously cheap.

[quote name='paz9x']there are some realy good guides floating around.
You want the self-etching primer, its an automotive paint. also flat paints require more sanding, satin would probably be ideal.

good luck, its pretty fun.[/QUOTE]

At your recommendation, I picked up some of the self-etching primer today at the local auto-parts store. Didn't snag any paint yet, as I figured it would take me a while to get the case fully broken down and primed. I also want a bit more time to decide exactly which colors I will be using.

Have my case 100% broke down after some more time spent after work. I must say, doing it this way certainly is not for the faint of heart. Lots and lots of pieces to remove and rivets to drill out. Though I took the time to keep the hardware together and organized as I removed it with scotch tape and ziplock bags.

Seems like it should be a lot easier to put back together than it was to take apart.

Any modern day recommendations/guides for someone looking to buy/build a new desktop for $500? Or even less would be cool, I'm not playing anything huge.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Any modern day recommendations/guides for someone looking to buy/build a new desktop for $500? Or even less would be cool, I'm not playing anything huge.[/QUOTE]

This article is from 2009 - http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/build_a_500_pc_play_crysis_40fps

You can put this build up and get some advice from others. With the current prices this will be under $400 now or less (if you have coupons and rewards programs).

Or this one - http://www.hardware-revolution.com/budget-gaming-pc-q4-2010/

[quote name='Mid Boss']If you're not ready to upgrade your whole system, why don't you just buy a more powerful single graphics card? You don't need to spend a lot anymore to get a single card that would perform better than 2 9800gtx's. Even a 768MB GTX460 will be a pretty significant upgrade and wouldn't cost all that much. It certainly would be cheaper than the cost of a 2nd 9800 AND an SLI capable motherboard. Plus it's kind of a waste to be buying a 775 motherboard at this point unless you're getting it ridiculously cheap.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I will definitely start my upgrading there, it's even better that there is a nice rebate on this card too. I guess I'm just getting a little bit to attached to my old graphics card and how long its lasted me.

[quote name='Trusty Mutsi']I've been having frequent crashed with my custom PC. I just cleaned it out (which I haven't done for YEARS, there was LOTS of dust), and opened up the side panels to see if it's an overheating issue. I'm also thinking of upgrading beyond just one fan.

It also seemed that when the drivers for my Radeon 9600 weren't installed it was more stable, but without them installed it's starting to crash again. We're talking every 5-10 minutes. It doesn't seem as often with the drivers NOT installed.

Megazell suggested I use HighJackThis to post a log of my system, and see if anybody here sees anything fishy.

Thanks for any help.

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG10\avgrsx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\savedump.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Identity Protection\Agent\Bin\AVGIDSAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgnsx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgemcx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgchsvx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe
C:\Program Files\RocketDock\RocketDock.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Identity Protection\agent\bin\avgidsmonitor.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Harold\My Documents\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

R3 - URLSearchHook: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AVG Security Toolbar - {CCC7A320-B3CA-4199-B1A6-9F516DD69829} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_TRAY] C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [googletalk] C:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe /autostart
O4 - Startup: Shortcut to RocketDock.lnk = C:\Program Files\RocketDock\RocketDock.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O18 - Protocol: avgsecuritytoolbar - {F2DDE6B2-9684-4A55-86D4-E255E237B77C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgpp.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: AVG Security Toolbar Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Toolbar\ToolbarBroker.exe
O23 - Service: AVGIDSAgent - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Identity Protection\Agent\Bin\AVGIDSAgent.exe
O23 - Service: AVG WatchDog (avgwd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe

--
End of file - 3944 bytes[/QUOTE]

what OS are you running. uninstall AVG or add more ram

[quote name='maxim2boobles']what OS are you running. uninstall AVG or add more ram[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Trusty Mutsi']

[/QUOTE]

facepalm.gif

[quote name='Megazell']
facepalm.gif
[/QUOTE]

easiest solution, open task manager and see which resource is using most of your memory, cpu, or service. most of the time computer locks up cause there is not enough ram

[quote name='maxim2boobles']easiest solution, open task manager and see which resource is using most of your memory, cpu, or service. most of the time computer locks up cause there is not enough ram[/QUOTE]

Not what he was asking but nice try.

His machine was crashing randomly. It was a heat issue. I think he got the fans and knocked it out.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']If it were me, I'd get at least a 750W to have a little headroom, depending on what else you've got in your system.[/QUOTE]
stop that

[quote name='crystalklear64']stop that[/QUOTE]
Stop what? The 460 can use 150W at max load for a stock card. Overclock it, and you're talking more wattage. That's a possible draw of 300W+ total for the video cards alone. Then you figure in a 125W (or so) processor, and optical drives, hard drives, case fans, etc. A high-end 650W PSU would probably cut it, but always better to have a little headroom later on.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Stop what? The 460 can use 150W at max load for a stock card. Overclock it, and you're talking more wattage. That's a possible draw of 300W+ total for the video cards alone. Then you figure in a 125W (or so) processor, and optical drives, hard drives, case fans, etc. A high-end 650W PSU would probably cut it, but always better to have a little headroom later on.[/QUOTE]

Isn't total wattage a misnomer? I bought a 650W Corsair with +12V@52A and I can't imagine I'll need anything more.

Does anyone else have as much trouble picking a CPU like I do? I've been debating forever on it, and when I thought I was locked in on the AMD 965 Black, the i5 2500k SandyBridge came along. Now I'm thinking that I'm never going to use the power of the 2500k and I'm thinking of going back to the AMD.

Ahhh! Why can't I decide?

[quote name='ZForce915']Does anyone else have as much trouble picking a CPU like I do? I've been debating forever on it, and when I thought I was locked in on the AMD 965 Black, the i5 2500k SandyBridge came along. Now I'm thinking that I'm never going to use the power of the 2500k and I'm thinking of going back to the AMD.

Ahhh! Why can't I decide?[/QUOTE]

AMD 4 LIfe

I you want to save money on your PC build, pick AMD. If you want to be a douche bag , pick Intel Sandy Bridge

[quote name='maxim2boobles']AMD 4 LIfe

I you want to save money on your PC build, pick AMD. If you want to be a douche bag , pick Intel Sandy Bridge[/QUOTE]

that thinking isnt relevant, especially considering the performance disparity.
the sandy bridge chips are the way to go.

[quote name='paz9x']that thinking isnt relevant, especially considering the performance disparity.
the sandy bridge chips are the way to go.[/QUOTE]

i was being facetious

i like amd because of their price. if you have the extra cash , get the new tech.

[quote name='ZForce915']Does anyone else have as much trouble picking a CPU like I do? I've been debating forever on it, and when I thought I was locked in on the AMD 965 Black, the i5 2500k SandyBridge came along. Now I'm thinking that I'm never going to use the power of the 2500k and I'm thinking of going back to the AMD.

Ahhh! Why can't I decide?[/QUOTE]
If you buy a sandy bridge combo off of this Amazon page you get a free copy of Civilization 5. I ordered my combo on Tuesday and got the code the next day. MB and proc should be here today. :bouncy:

[quote name='maxim2boobles']i was being facetious

i like amd because of their price. if you have the extra cash , get the new tech.[/QUOTE]

I like the AMD chip I have picked out and I'm thinking it will be more than enough for me for a while, the appeal of the SandyBridge is two fold. One, it is faster across the board and two, the 1155 socket is newer and I'm hoping that means the option to upgrade in the future will be there. AMD has used the AM3 socket for a while now.

In the end I think I'll be happy either way.

Well, still working on painting the internals of my case off and on. I don't have a climate controlled place at home to paint, so it has been mainly a bit on the weekend that I get something done on it at work.

I did pick up a couple components at newegg today thanks to sales/promos.

SATA3 Crucial 64GB solid state drive to use for the OS and whatnot was on a shell shocker deal for $99 so I picked that up.

Also had the 8GB Corsair Vengeance ram (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 have a 30 dollar price drop recently. In addition, Newegg is running a promo code for 15% off all memory. So what I had been looking at a week ago for $135 clocked in at $85. I went ahead and got 16GB for $35 more than what I was looking to spend on 8GB.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Stop what? The 460 can use 150W at max load for a stock card. Overclock it, and you're talking more wattage. That's a possible draw of 300W+ total for the video cards alone. Then you figure in a 125W (or so) processor, and optical drives, hard drives, case fans, etc. A high-end 650W PSU would probably cut it, but always better to have a little headroom later on.[/QUOTE]
watts mean nothing more than a guideline as to which category of PSU you might consider possibly maybe looking at

amps and number of rails are infinitely more important. you don't "figure" watts for anything. you look at the amps.

heres a link to a post i made awhile ago discussing power supplies, some good info in there if you like.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5203926&postcount=24

Im looking at upgrading from my Best Buy clearance laptop to a home made desktop soon. I wanted to follow some of the talk here and elsewhere and get an AMD, but since I'll be doing 3D rendering it seems I should stick with with I7. I am however not sure a out a graphics card. For sure not getting one specifically for 3d rendering because their just not worth it to me, but not sure what else is smiled upon these days. Any suggestions?

Also the 6990 scares me. We won't go there.

[quote name='crystalklear64']watts mean nothing more than a guideline as to which category of PSU you might consider possibly maybe looking at

amps and number of rails are infinitely more important. you don't "figure" watts for anything. you look at the amps.

heres a link to a post i made awhile ago discussing power supplies, some good info in there if you like.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5203926&postcount=24[/QUOTE]

thats a good post, I say it should be added to the OP

bread's done
Back