The unOFFICIAL Art Book Pre-Order Thread

ragingst0rm6

CAGiversary!
Feedback
94 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Art Book Pre-Order Thread
I am totally ripping off Ionotropic's CE Guide Thread's Wiki format. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Alien: Isolation, The Art of

Author: Andy McVittie (October 7, 2014)
Publisher: Titan Books
Page Count: 176
Amazon $26.56

Assassin's Creed Unity: Abstergo Entertainment: Employee Handbook

Author: Ubisoft (November 4, 2014)
Publisher: Insight Editions
Page Count: 152
Amazon $28.46

Batman: Arkham Trilogy, The Art of

Author: Rocksteady Studios (April 14, 2015)
Publisher: Abrams
Page Count: 320
Amazon $27.51

Book of Life, The Art of

Author: Jorge Gutierrez and Guillermo del Toro (September 30, 2014)
Publisher: Dark Horse Books
Page Count: 184
Amazon $24.91

Breath of Fire: Official Complete Works

Author: Keiji Inufane, Tatsuya Yoshikawa, Capcom (September 9, 2014)
Publisher: Udon Entertainment
Page Count: 192
Amazon $28.06

Destiny, The Art of

Author: Bungie (December 16, 2014)
Page Count: 160
Amazon $32.10 ($45.00 MSRP)

Destiny: The Poster Collection

Author: Insight Editions (October 14, 2014)
Page Count: 40
Amazon $18.62 ($24.99 MSRP)

Devil May Cry: A Divine Comedy

Author: Medhi El Kanafi / Nicolas Courcier (July 22, 2014)
Publisher: Les Edition Pix'N Love
Amazon $37.04

Dishonored: The Dunwall Archives

Author: Bethesda Games (November 25, 2014)
Page Count: 1
Amazon $28.06

Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Art of
Author: Bioware (October 7, 2014)
Amazon $28.06

Dragon Age Inquisition: Prima Official Inquisitor Edition

Author: Bungie (November 18, 2014)
Publisher: Prima
Page Count: 368
Amazon $107.99 ($119.99 MSRP)

Evil Within, The Art of
Author: Bethesda Games (October 14, 2014)
Page Count: 1
Amazon $28.06

5th Cell, The Art of
Author: Edison Yan (November 11, 2014)
Page Count: 168
Amazon $29.99

Gran Turismo 5, Art of

Author: Daniel Wade (November 11, 2014)
Publisher: Ballistic Publishing
Page Count: 256
Amazon $40.95
51eTmiAUyYL._SS500_.jpg

Naughty Dog, The Art of

Author: Naughty Dog Studios (October 14, 2014)
Amazon $28.06

Resident Evil 6 Artworks

Author: Capcom (October 7, 2014)
Page Count: 272
Amazon $31.20

SF25: The Art of Street Fighter

Author: Capcom (August 12, 2014)
Page Count: 448
Amazon $40.64

UDON's Art of Capcom: Complete Edition

Author: Alvin Lee, Arnold Tsang, Jeffrey Chamba Cruz, Joe Ng, and Omar Dogan (November 11, 2014)
Page Count: 600!
Amazon $53.23

Uncharted Trilogy, The Art of the

Author: Naughty Dog (April 28, 2015)
Page Count: 240
Amazon $30.00

Witcher, The World of

Author: CD Projekt Red (March 17, 2015)
Amazon $27.10
============================
Previously Released Art Book Archive
============================

[CUSTOMSPOILER=Previously Released]

Assassin's Creed III, Art of

Author: Andy McVittie (October 30, 2012)
Page Count: 144
Amazon $19.77
Special Features: Hardcover

Atelier: Artworks of Arland

Author: Mel Kishida, Gust (May 5, 2013)
Amazon $28.11

Bayonetta: Eyes of

Author: Sega (July 11, 2013)
Page Count: 224
Amazon $31.49
Special Features: DVD

Bioshock Infinite: Art of

Author: Ken Levine (March 12, 2013)
Amazon $23.52

Blizzard, Art of

Author: Nick Carpenter, Sam Didier, Chris Metzen (December 25, 2012)
Page Count: 352
Amazon $47.25

Borderlands 2, Art of

Author: BradyGames (November 5, 2012)
Page Count: 208
Amazon $25.00

Darksiders II, Art of

Author: Joe Madureira, THQ (November 13, 2012)
Page Count: 200
Amazon $24.99

Dead Space: Art Of (Clamshell Edition) (January 28, 2013)

Author: Martin Robinson
Page Count: 224 (192 Normal + 32 Exclusive)
Limited Time You Get A Chrome Plated Marker Pendant As A Bonus (dead)
EA Store $65.00

Dead Space: Art of (Regular) (January 28, 2013)

Author: Martin Robinson
Amazon $23.07

Devil Survivor: Official Material Collection (June 11, 2013)

Amazon $26.57

Eve: Source

Author: CCP Games (March 18, 2014)
Amazon $29.22
Final Fantasy, The Sky: Art of

Author: Yoshitaka Amano (October 30, 2012)
Page Count: 800
Book Depository (US) $104.99
Special Features: Hardcover, Boxed Set

Final Fantasy (Slipcase Edition), The Sky: Art of

Author: Yoshitaka Amano (July 2, 2013)
Page Count: 576
Amazon $56.69
Special Features: Hardcover, Slipcase Edition

Growlanser Art Works
Author: Satoshi Urushihara (March 12, 2013)
Amazon $24.99

Halo 4, Awakening: Art of

Author: Paul Davies (November 6, 2012)
Amazon $23.07

Heroes and Heroines: Japanese Video Game + Animation Illustration

Editor: Yoshiyuki Oba (October 2, 2012)
Publisher: PIE International
Amazon $16.74

Kingdom Hearts, The Artwork of

Author: Shiro Amano (October 29, 2013)
Publisher: Yen Press
Amazon $21.16

The Last of Us, The Art of

Author: Naughty Dog Studios (July 16, 2013)
Publisher: Dark Horse
Amazon $26.03

Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia

Author: Shigeru Miyamoto, Eiji Aonuma, Akira Himekawa (January 29, 2013)
Amazon $20.99

Mario Goodies Collection
Author: Naughty Dog Studios (May 28, 2014)
Publisher: Les Editions Pix'N Love
Amazon $26.88

Remember Me, The Art of

Author: Various (May 28, 2013)
Publisher: Dark Horse
Amazon $26.39

Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes: Official Complete Works

Author: Capcom (November 6, 2012)
Page Count: 152
Amazon $24.99

Shining Hearts: Collection of Visual Materials

Author: Tony Taka, Sega (October 9, 2012)
Amazon $24.99

Sonic the Hedgehog, History of

Author: Marc Petronille, William Audureau, Sega (October 9, 2012)
Page Count: 300
Amazon $23.09

Takehito Harada Art Works

Author: Takehito Harada (April 9, 2013)
Amazon $24.99
Features:
All four Disgaea titles, as well as Prinny 1 & 2, Makai Kingdom, and Phantom Brave

Tomb Raider: Art of Survival

Author: BradyGames (March 18, 2013)
Publisher: BradyGames
Amazon $26

Transformers, Art of Fall of Cybertron

Author: Mark Bellomo (October 23, 2012)
Publisher: IDW Publishing
Amazon $23.09

Valkyria Chronicles 3: Complete Artworks

Author: Raita Honjou (March 26, 2013)
Amazon $29.69

[/CUSTOMSPOILER]

[CUSTOMSPOILER=Possibly Cancelled?]

Assassin's Creed: Art ( R )evolution

Editor: Debora Ferrari (October 2, 2012)
Amazon $19.46

ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, Art of

Editor: Ronnie Gramazio (October 15, 2013)
Amazon $40.95

League of Legends, Art of

Editor: Ronnie Gramazio (July 16, 2013)
Amazon $40.95

Portal 2, Art of (currently MIA)

Author: Andy McVittie (November 13, 2012)
Amazon $23.09
[URL="http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/art-of-portal-2-valve/1111297457%22%22%5DB&N"]http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/art-of-portal-2-valve/1111297457%22%22%5DB&N[/url]"][/url]http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/art-of-portal-2-valve/1111297457""]B&N[/url][/URL]$23.12

Twisted Metal, Art of

Editor: Ronnie Gramazio (May 14, 2013)
Amazon $40.95
[/CUSTOMSPOILER]

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love these. Is there a clear difference between Classic and Collector's? Worth or just go with Classic set, thinking of getting all 3.

Just a heads up, but the Gamecube Anthology only has a few days left over at KS. I know most wait on cheaper alternatives(this is CAG after all), but this campaign has the "Ultimate Edition", which is exclusive to KS. If anyone has an interest in that edition, now would be the time to grab it. These guys books are amazing, and well worth the full asking price if you can afford it.
Damn that’s awesome looking, had to grab it

I saw he did a box art version for the n64 one too and I ordered it through amazon, was there one for the PlayStation as well?
Unfortunately, the English PS version didn't have a separate box art book. There's also a 3 volume French version, but I'm not sure if that has all the box art either. Here's a comment from Kickstarter explaining the differences:

The difference between this version and the trilogy is a very simple, yet very big change. In this book, it appears to only have the interviews and history of the PlayStation, in chronological order. This would be OK in a vacuum.

However, the trilogy did things a lot differently. The trilogy was a chronological recount of the history of the PlayStation as well, but at the end of each volume, there would be reviews for almost every game on the PlayStation, with each book covering a specific timespan of the system.

Book 1 did every game from 1994 to 1997.
Book 2 did every game in 1998 & 1999.
Book 3 did every game from 2000 to 2006.

This was the biggest reason I wanted the books in English. The database of games with English blurbs would have been an invaluable resource whenever I decided to go treasure hunting in the PlayStation library, but with this only being one volume and only having the interviews, I don't really want the book anymore, especially after the effort that was made in translating the N64 anthology in it's completion.

I chipped in 5 euro anyway, because I do believe these guys do good work, but I can't avoid the fact that I am extremely disappointed.

Unfortunately, the English PS version didn't have a separate box art book. There's also a 3 volume French version, but I'm not sure if that has all the box art either. Here's a comment from Kickstarter explaining the differences:

The difference between this version and the trilogy is a very simple, yet very big change. In this book, it appears to only have the interviews and history of the PlayStation, in chronological order. This would be OK in a vacuum.

However, the trilogy did things a lot differently. The trilogy was a chronological recount of the history of the PlayStation as well, but at the end of each volume, there would be reviews for almost every game on the PlayStation, with each book covering a specific timespan of the system.

Book 1 did every game from 1994 to 1997.
Book 2 did every game in 1998 & 1999.
Book 3 did every game from 2000 to 2006.

This was the biggest reason I wanted the books in English. The database of games with English blurbs would have been an invaluable resource whenever I decided to go treasure hunting in the PlayStation library, but with this only being one volume and only having the interviews, I don't really want the book anymore, especially after the effort that was made in translating the N64 anthology in it's completion.

I chipped in 5 euro anyway, because I do believe these guys do good work, but I can't avoid the fact that I am extremely disappointed.
Ah okay, then I’ll avoid getting it for now, Especially since there’s no art box edition, since I backed GameCube on KS and was able to snag an n64 one. I’d rather have them all match

Ah okay, then I’ll avoid getting it for now, Especially since there’s no art box edition, since I backed GameCube on KS and was able to snag an n64 one. I’d rather have them all match
Yeah, it sucks the Playstation book didn't have all the content from the previous French volumes, but they could always offer a slipcase and extra volumes later. I guess doing all that in one volume would have been to much in size and cost. Hopefully if the content is good, they will come up with some way to offer them later.

Bitmap Books has done at least one book like that, where they decided to have an extra volume after the first, and offered a slipcase to store both when the second volume was offered. The slipcase isn't a huge deal, as there is only so many books you can fit like that. I guess if the missing content could fit in one extra book, it could be possible, but if it takes more than one, probably not a good idea.

New BotW expanded edition guide is dropping next month from Piggyback. Amazon doesn't have their normal discount applied yet, but it should happen before release.

https://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Breath-Wild-Expanded/dp/1911015486/

Just a side note, but there is an official Breath of the Wild art book being released sometime this year in Japan. It doesn't have a publisher in the US yet, but I'm going to go on a limb and say Dark Horse will do it again.

Just a side note, but there is an official Breath of the Wild art book being released sometime this year in Japan. It doesn't have a publisher in the US yet, but I'm going to go on a limb and say Dark Horse will do it again.
Yeah, I would think the same.

BTW, have you are anyone else heard any news on the Super Mario Encyclopedia? I believe Dark Horse announced a US version awhile back, but no info since. And the few places that ever had it listed, pulled those awhile back. I bought the Japanese version ages ago, and was really looking forward to having it in English.

so after seeing that gamecube anthology I ordered the n64 artbook edition one through amazon. its so awesome! and I got LE # 24 of 550.

it also came with the zelda art print! 

so after seeing that gamecube anthology I ordered the n64 artbook edition one through amazon. its so awesome! and I got LE # 24 of 550.

it also came with the zelda art print!
Yeah, their books are probably tops in my book currently. Bitmap Books ain't bad either, but I think Geek line just might edge them out.

Thanks for the heads up, I just preordered it. I was just asking about this not to long ago, as Dark Horse announced it awhile ago, and then nothing. It looks like they finally made another official announcement yesterday, so that's why it's up for order finally. I guess I need to dig out my Japanese copy and see if I can sell it. https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/19/super-mario-bros-encyclopedia-comes-to-us-in-october/

i hope they do the kirby one also.
WOW, I didn't even know there was a Kirby one as well. I'm not a huge fan of the Kirby games, so that may have something to do with it. I would grab an English version of that, but I'm not sure what the demand would be. Dark Horse normally likes to deal in bigger number type stuff, but if the Mario does well enough, anything is possible I guess.

i hope they do the kirby one also.
You mean the "Kirby Art & Style Collection" that came out in Japan last year, the 20th anniversary Kirby artbook, or something else? The Art & Style Collection is SO GOOD; it's got a ton of art and absolutely deserves to be localized. The 20th anniversary book is more informational, but also outdated by now.

I love the Kirby Art and Style book so much, didn't even cost me more than like $26 to import it too (Some weird price adjustment kicked in on my pre-order and saved me like 5 bucks).

The whole book is just basically entirely art from the whole series.

You mean the "Kirby Art & Style Collection" that came out in Japan last year, the 20th anniversary Kirby artbook, or something else? The Art & Style Collection is SO GOOD; it's got a ton of art and absolutely deserves to be localized. The 20th anniversary book is more informational, but also outdated by now.
the 20th anniversary. but i do want both.

I saw that earlier. It looks more like a magazine. I'm going to hold off in hold that someone does one that covers the entire Vita lifespan (once it finally ends, of course).

Different topic: Ballistic Publishing's page doesn't load anymore (and last week all their books were out of stock). I wonder if they're gone for good

I saw that earlier. It looks more like a magazine. I'm going to hold off in hold that someone does one that covers the entire Vita lifespan (once it finally ends, of course).

Different topic: Ballistic Publishing's page doesn't load anymore (and last week all their books were out of stock). I wonder if they're gone for good
Sadly, it's looking that way. I really hope I didn't miss out on some super closeout deals, as their books need any discount possible. LOL

Honestly, while their books looked amazing, the prices where just insane. Even the base standard book prices where way over the top. In this day and age, so many places are just done with physical media, and books are for sure a part of that change. I see tons of complaints in this thread alone over a $40 book, so once you get close to $100, it's a very limited market. I think they had a business that was no longer viable in this digital age, especially with their pricing model.

I honestly love art & guide books, magazines, and all cool books gaming related, and I don't think I own one book from them(and I own hundreds). I always saw stuff I wanted, but I could never pull the trigger on a single book.

not an artbook but third editions books just launched their second kickstarter today. first one was in 2016 with their zelda, FFVII, and dark souls book they were really nice and in depth. now they have zelda botw, darksouls3/bloodborne and a FFVIII book coming with collectors variants.

already 20% funded after launching this morning

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thirdeditions/third-editions-your-ultimate-gaming-library-season?ref=hero_thanks
What kind of content are we talking about? Just skimming the KS page and it seems a bit vague.

What kind of content are we talking about? Just skimming the KS page and it seems a bit vague.
It goes into the development aspect of the games, goes into a lot of the lore, and they also analyze the underlying themes. for example Zelda volume 1 has a chapter on every major release, a chapter about the music, another chapter about the evolution of link and so on. There’s no photos in the books, it’s really just literature. They also have published a MGS and bioshock book stateside and have 3 others coming this year that aren’t a part of the Kickstarter.

I posted this in the CE thread as well.

The upcoming Mario Encyclopedia will have a slipcase edition for $80. The actual book will have one of 4 random covers. Who here is crazy enough to try for all of them?

https://www.amazon.c...io encyclopedia
Yeah, I figured this was coming, as Dark Horse has been offering CE for every major release they've had over the last few years. No way they didn't take advantage of the Mario crowd. LOL

All 4 covers are equally as gay, so I'll be happy with any of the 4. I'm sure someone out there might try for a complete set, but that someone ain't gonna be me. LOL

Yeah, these guys do killer books that are well below the radar, but should be at the front of gaming books. They do offer up some obscure companies and games, but it's all good info in well done books, full color to.

I backed this awhile back thru a different program, and this KS it to try and get them over the final hump.

What sites do you guys prefer to use for ordering obscure, non-localized Japanese art books at decent prices? There are a couple I'm looking at that cost ¥3000 (~$28), but are going for around $45 each on Amazon. I've seen some slightly lower prices from importers, but I'm not too familiar with which of those sites are fishy and which are legit.

What sites do you guys prefer to use for ordering obscure, non-localized Japanese art books at decent prices? There are a couple I'm looking at that cost ¥3000 (~$28), but are going for around $45 each on Amazon. I've seen some slightly lower prices from importers, but I'm not too familiar with which of those sites are fishy and which are legit.
Amazon.co.jp. New books there are pretty much never discounted, but international shipping for heavy items like artbooks tends to be much less than at other Japanese shops, since they charge a flat rate, rather than by weight. The shipping service they use is DHL.

I should also note that all of their prices include Japanese consumption tax, which is removed for international orders. For example, a book listed with a 3240 yen price should come down to 3000 yen at checkout.

Fallbacks: CDJapan, HobbyLink Japan, Hobby Search

Used/out of print: Mandarake

Great website but I'm pretty sure shipping cost turned me away from their previous kickstarters. I get it since they're in the UK but still more than I want to spend.
Actually, the guy developing this book(Hardcore Gaming 101), is located in the US I'm pretty sure. It looks like he used "Unbound" to make this specific book, as it is different than their norm, and they are located in the UK.

I've bought all my books from Amazon US, and they used to have discounts as well. Now, everything seems to be full price, but most of my books where all 5-10 dollars off at one point or another. Here's the author's Amazon listing pages: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Kurt+Kalata

Even at full price, these are some of the better gaming books around, especially since most of them don't cover the gaming "norm". They are softcover, but packed with content(and full color, except for one or two I think). You can see their reviews on Amazon speak for themselves. They had another crowdfunding publication type deal going at first, but that only brought in their regulars, as that site wasn't as popular as KS. They made it half way($15,000), and then it stalled, as there is no deadline, it goes until funded or cancelled. So they moved to KS to get the remaining $15,000.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll for sure see about pledging for the book, but no plans for the game unless something other than the PC is offered.

Since Ballistic Publishing is MIA, here's your next best option to get an Oddworld art book.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1869209521/oddworld-abes-origins-book-and-game-collection

Oddworld: Abe's Origin (covers Abe's Oddyee and Abe's Exoddus) correction: game bundle is for those 2 games, artwork will cover everything Oddworld (Abe, Munch, Stranger, Soulstorm)

You can also get a bundle that includes a PC big box release of the games (Limited Run Games is involved with this)

1f2a2cd24b8a2431bacefaef6b18e2fc_original.png

I got an email that Bitmap Books' The Art of Point + Click Adventure Games will go up for preorder on April 2 7 AM BST. From the email:

The Standard Edition of the book will be shrink wrapped and be 460 pages long. It’s a hardback with fabric bookmark ribbons and a silver metallic logo on the cover. The pages are printed on a high-quality silk paper so the images will really ‘pop’ off the page. The Standard Edition is priced at £29.99.

We have created a Collector's Edition for those that are after something a little more special and collectable. For the Collector's Edition, the book will come housed within a DOS-style card box. The outer of the box features artwork by Paul Conway (The Darkside Detective). Inside is the book and a: Dial-A-Interview Code Wheel, USB Floppy Disk containing a PDF of the book, Grog Plastic Beer Coaster and a Magnetic Talkie Game. The whole box is then shrink wrapped. The Collector’s Edition is priced at £49.99 and is strictly limited to the pre-order period which ends as soon as the book is released in the late summer.

I was going to skip this one, but in one of the updates he showed a completely revamped design that looks a lot nicer.
Yeah, he's been updating pretty regularly and using the advice given. This is so cheap compared to most of the publications I get thru KS, so he get's my funds by default on this one. LOL

just wanted to update you guys on the third edition books kickstarter campaign, they just unlocked the Taro Yoko book early which is about NIER and Drakengard series. again these are not artbooks but in depth analysis books. no pictures, just literature. if you opt for the CE of the book you get a lithograph for each book you want as well. The Taro Yoko book is special because the foreword is written by Taro himself and he answered a lot of the authors questions through out the book.

they got 6 days left.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thirdeditions/third-editions-your-ultimate-gaming-library-season/posts/2149760

1b2c06e11ca1c2d2ef8c5c4f5134e533_original.jpg

That Yoko Taro book is awfully tempting, especially since the man himself is involved. (ETA: Backed, and getting the Zelda book as well for my husband.)

Here's a licensing announcement from Anime Boston that should interest people here:

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/979765228220149760

I have the Japanese edition of this book and it's wonderful; it's a must-have if you're a Dragon Quest and/or Toriyama fan. Glad that it's being localized, and I hope Viz does a great job with it.

The Art Of Point Of Point and Click Adventure Games is now up for pre-order over at Bitmap Books, with the Collector's Edition only being offered during the pre-order period(which is up until launch I believe). I'm sure the standard edition will be offered thru Amazon at some later date, so for those who want to get it on the cheap, that's probably a safe bet(as most Bitmap Books are offered there). Use code "POINTANDCLICK" at checkout, to receive a free set of postcards.

https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/collections/all/products/the-art-of-point-click-adventure-games

The Neogeo and SNES books were never fulfilled by Amazon so no guarantees that this one will be
Very true, but the Neogeo one kind of was a personal battle of sorts, as they listed it way early(at a super low price), and I think that pissed off Sam, so he made it a point to make sure they never got it. And I think the SNES one followed suit. So yeah, it's probably good to make this known, so potential buyers know they may not happen at Amazon. But these books also stay in print for a good while at Bitmap, so waiting to see what happens isn't really much of a risk either. As this book will probably be offered for a good long time.

I just got their NES/SNES books a few weeks ago when the SNES came out and NES restocked, and they're really well done. I picked up the collector's edition of the Point and Click book today along with the Super Famicom box cover book. 

I just got their NES/SNES books a few weeks ago when the SNES came out and NES restocked, and they're really well done. I picked up the collector's edition of the Point and Click book today along with the Super Famicom box cover book.
Yeah, that P&C book is going to be amazing, I can't wait!

bread's done
Back