The usps can suck it

exileinoblivion

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Alright so I have to vent this somewhere because I'm getting a little frustrated right now. Now some background on my post office, it's a really old building and their stamp machine broke so instead of getting a new one they decided just to leave the broken one there. So they only have one clerk and every old person that wants stamps has to wait in line which makes each visit at least a half hour long. But whatever, I know what to expect and always put on a smile and as nice as can be to the clerk.

The clerk there is very friendly with me and always tells me how much she appreciates that I'm so nice which is what made today all that more infuriating. I recently received Dragon Age for the 360 and the inner circle of the disk is cracked. Now to me I'm not really sweating it because I got it off goozex and I can report it as a broken disc and get my points back but I still talked to the seller first and after talking to him and finding out that he seemed genuinely surprised and afraid that he was going to get screwed out of a $60 game. He told me he paid insurance on it and sent me the insurance slip so I could make a claim. Well the insurance slip arrives and I head out to the post office today with all the printed off proof on why playing a cracked disc is harmful and proof of how much the game costs. Well my normal clerk said it shouldn't be a problem she just needed the approval of her manager so she goes in back and the manager comes out and the first thing he says to me is "I'm not going to pay you for something you broke." And I was just kind of put aback by the whole thing. I still remained calm and nice and started explaining how the usps could have damaged and how the new environment friendly cases make it easier to crack when pressure is applied to it and he responded with "Prove it that we broke it."

So I start talking about what the point of insurance is if they don't honor it. And he basically goes back into how I personally broke the disc saying that I basically pulled the disc out in the fashion that a monkey would. I started telling he made no sense and he was basically pulling out some ridiculous scenario like a bad infomercial proving their product was better. I said to him how do I prove that they did it. He told me if the whole case was broken in half along with the disc. I said do you have any idea how much force it would take to not only break an entire disc in half but the whole case as well. I said so you're insurance doesn't cover breaks it only covers when something is tore to shreds and mangled. At this point I still haven't raised my voice or used any foul language and he goes "sir if you don't leave I'll call the police." After hearing this I got absolutely pissed and said so basically now you're trying to scare me into leaving a legitimate claim because you're a government institution you think that you can do whatever you want. I told him this wasn't over and I would be speaking with the postmaster of the city and I refuse to back down when I'm treated like a criminal for making a legitimate claim against them.

I've honestly never been so pissed off in my life. I'm not sure where I'm going to get with the postmaster but after how he talked to me I'm positive I don't want to let this go.

Yup, they're going to do anything they can to screw you out of your money. UPS pulled this sort of thing too when they destroyed a PC that I shipped with insurance. They wouldn't honor it.

well yah no shit thats pure bullshit i can see why your so pissed im shure you wanted to punch that mother fucker in the face, hope ya get your money back dude

That sucks but you'll be more pissed off in your life many times more than that. Since logical means don't seem to solve the problem, you'll probably just have to go postal at some point. I would follow through like you said with someone higher up.

Terrible situation. But good luck to you. Just remember, be positive and polite, and they're more likely to help you out (hopefully).

Btw, any chance you can just go to Gamestop, cozy up to the people (give them a Mountain Dew or something) and switch out the disc? Or rent it from somewhere and switch the disc?

[quote name='thespyderboy']Terrible situation. But good luck to you. Just remember, be positive and polite, and they're more likely to help you out (hopefully).

Btw, any chance you can just go to Gamestop, cozy up to the people (give them a Mountain Dew or something) and switch out the disc? Or rent it from somewhere and switch the disc?[/QUOTE]

You can't say that in public you ho! XD

That's supporting fraud.

Plus, what does any of this have to do with Gamestop?

you too can suck it. there is no proof on either side as you stated so it goes both ways. he probably didn't do it and he just did not want to deal with it. just call the 800 # and file a claim simple as that. never go in person, just call and be patient on the phone simple as that.

Report the situation to the district manager and get him reprimanded or fired. They forget that WE pay their salary not the government.

[quote name='thespyderboy']Terrible situation. But good luck to you. Just remember, be positive and polite, and they're more likely to help you out (hopefully).

Btw, any chance you can just go to Gamestop, cozy up to the people (give them a Mountain Dew or something) and switch out the disc? Or rent it from somewhere and switch the disc?[/QUOTE]

And the moral to the story. It's OK to screw over people as long as you're not the one being screwed. Nice!

[quote name='intoxicated662']you too can suck it. there is no proof on either side as you stated so it goes both ways. he probably didn't do it and he just did not want to deal with it. just call the 800 # and file a claim simple as that. never go in person, just call and be patient on the phone simple as that.[/QUOTE]

But regardless if its a question of proof, I think the biggest concern in this thread really is just how he was treated by the manager. I don't think when someone brings in a broken package, the manager can just accuse the person who brought it in of breaking it themselves intentionally and then threatening them. How was that manager anywhere in the right on that part?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']Call and file a claim. You're lucky the Post Office manager didn't accost you.[/QUOTE]

What happened to your old avatar stoic :eek:

suck-it.jpg

The problem is less that I got denied as it is that he accused me of fraud. To me that's a big problem. You can't treat me like a criminal in your place of business when I've done absolutely nothing wrong. Never was my voice raised, never did I curse. Before even hearing my claim the first thing he did was accuse me of comitting fraud against the post office. That is absolutely unreasonable.

That being said does anyone have any suggestions on how to get ahold of your local postmaster? After a bunch of searching I cant really find anything other than my postmasters name.

That's total bullshit what the post office manager did and said, exile. I thought this thread was going to be about the 'intolerable wait times' for postage at your post office from reading the first part of your story there.

But yeah, what the manager did was total garbage. I had a snippy postal worker recently when mailing a package and I asked her for her boss' number. She's been ever so nice to me ever since then.;):D

And thespyderboy, this situation has nothing to do with Gamestop and what you suggested is to defraud them to save the OP time and aggravation dealing with trying to file a claim with the USPS for the cracked disc.

EDIT: E-mail link to file complaint against USPS manager: http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request.do?create=kb:USPSFAQ&forward=inquiryType

Insurance claims online: http://www.usps.com/insuranceclaims/online/

[quote name='Squarehard']But regardless if its a question of proof, I think the biggest concern in this thread really is just how he was treated by the manager. I don't think when someone brings in a broken package, the manager can just accuse the person who brought it in of breaking it themselves intentionally and then threatening them. How was that manager anywhere in the right on that part?[/QUOTE]

Indeed. The manager handled the situation very unprofessionally.

Kudos to you for keeping your cool. If he would've talked to me like that, I probably would have ended up throwing the damn game at his ugly face.

Kick their ass, exile.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's total bullshit what the post office manager did and said, exile. I thought this thread was going to be about the 'intolerable wait times' for postage at your post office from reading the first part of your story there.

But yeah, what the manager did was total garbage. I had a snippy postal worker recently when mailing a package and I asked her for her boss' number. She's been ever so nice to me ever since then.;):D

And thespyderboy, this situation has nothing to do with Gamestop and what you suggested is to defraud them to save the OP time and aggravation dealing with trying to file a claim with the USPS for the cracked disc.

EDIT: E-mail link to file complaint against USPS manager: http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request.do?create=kb:USPSFAQ&forward=inquiryType

Insurance claims online: http://www.usps.com/insuranceclaims/online/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the links, and thanks to everyone for their support. I think I'm even going as far as just leaving positive feedback on goozex because I refuse to give this fight up, even if I lose after the way I was treated it's just not something I'm willing to give up.

I would file a complaint and if nothing happens, you can always go back to the good ol' standby of taking as much free shit as possible. 1000 Flat Rate boxes, why not?

I would tell myself that the guy probably did that to you because he's used to people trying to defraud them, but I would take actions as if he did it just because he was being a jerk because maybe that's all he was doing.

[quote name='Squarehard']You can't say that in public you ho! XD

That's supporting fraud.

Plus, what does any of this have to do with Gamestop?[/QUOTE]

Everything has to do with Gamestop ;)

[quote name='J7.']I would tell myself that the guy probably did that to you because he's used to people trying to defraud them, but I would take actions as if he did it just because he was being a jerk because maybe that's all he was doing.

Everything has to do with Gamestop ;)[/QUOTE]

It would appear so :eek:

[quote name='J7.']I would tell myself that the guy probably did that to you because he's used to people trying to defraud them, but I would take actions as if he did it just because he was being a jerk because maybe that's all he was doing.

Everything has to do with Gamestop ;)[/QUOTE]

Oh I understand that and I'm sure people do try to commit postal fraud all the time but to personally accuse me in front of other customers which I consider my community is unacceptable. I am the recipient and he never even heard me speak before telling me that I broke the disk.

While I realize that it's entirely possible that the disk was sent that way I don't believe it was. The user explained that he even took the package to the post office for advice because he had never sent a game before. I don't know how the post office around you operates but at mine they try to sell that insurance to you especially if you don't really know what you're doing.
The main part is that I was the recipient and I was the one being accused of fraud in front of other customers which I consider my community. Thats where I draw the line. To be treated like a criminal when making a legitimate claim is absolute garbage.
This is why I hate these new cases. They flex so easily and with enough pressure it could cause a crack. It would take a tremendous ammount of force to break the entire disk in half which is what I even explained to him after he accused me. He told me it wasn't possible but then said taking the disk out incorrectly is what caused the crack? That makes no sense, how could something like that crack the disk but not pressure being put on it from other packages in transit. After he threatened with the police I admittedly started acting like a jerk myself and while still refraining from cursing and raising my voice I was a smartass. I told him to show me the Incredible Hulk clause in their insurance policy because from what he was describing to me brute force is about all they cover on their insurance.

I was looking for a pic of the Seinfeld mail fraud pic, but this disturbing gem will have to suffice:

I can't be the only one thinking you should've told him to go ahead and call the police, so they could both charge you with fraud and so they could help you with filing a small claims court case. Wouldn't that also be considered slander/defamation if anyone else there heard him calling you a crook?

Yea, the PO does do a piss poor job of handling packages. 90% of used games I get in the mail the disc has become loose, no big deal. One time a game I had ordered from Amazon arrived, opened it up, and while the case wasn't in too bad a shape, though it looked crushed, you could hear pieces of the disc rattling around. Luckily Amazon took care of it but still I can see how stuff gets damaged by the USPS all the time.

[quote name='Shinpachi']I can't be the only one thinking you should've told him to go ahead and call the police, so they could both charge you with fraud and so they could help you with filing a small claims court case. Wouldn't that also be considered slander/defamation if anyone else there heard him calling you a crook?[/QUOTE]

Honestly if I had waited for the police to arrive by that time he probably would have had just cause for me disturbing the peace. I was pushed to my limits and had I stayed any longer to listen to his bullshit any longer and I probably would have done something bad. There was just about no way I could have stayed there any longer and kept my cool.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']Honestly if I had waited for the police to arrive by that time he probably would have had just cause for me disturbing the peace. I was pushed to my limits and had I stayed any longer to listen to his bullshit any longer and I probably would have done something bad. There was just about no way I could have stayed there any longer and kept my cool.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't have lasted long either. Go over his head though . He needs his attitude adjusted. Maybe the rest of his career on a backwoods route:bouncy:

[quote name='Thongsy']Yea, the PO does do a piss poor job of handling packages. 90% of used games I get in the mail the disc has become loose, no big deal. One time a game I had ordered from Amazon arrived, opened it up, and while the case wasn't in too bad a shape, though it looked crushed, you could hear pieces of the disc rattling around. Luckily Amazon took care of it but still I can see how stuff gets damaged by the USPS all the time.[/QUOTE]

You have to wonder what the hell some postal workers do to the packages to have stuff come loose and/or end up breaking discs.

If it's that they're disgruntled and unhappy with their job, there are millions(myself included) who would gladly take their place if they don't like being employed.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You have to wonder what the hell some postal workers do to the packages to have stuff come loose and/or end up breaking discs.

If it's that they're disgruntled and unhappy with their job, there are millions(myself included) who would gladly take their place if they don't like being employed.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, I would kill for a postal service salary.

I've got a lot more calling around to do today. At this point I'm a little worried that my mail is going to be fucked with from now but whatever I'm pushing on.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']Exactly, I would kill for a postal service salary.

I've got a lot more calling around to do today. At this point I'm a little worried that my mail is going to be fucked with from now but whatever I'm pushing on.[/QUOTE]

What amazes me though is that the USPS has taken to hiring people like 'temps' now. You're still employed by the USPS directly, but they hire you for a determined period and then lay you off for a week or two, then bring you back for another period like the one prior to the temp layoff.

This is what I was told when I applied last fall for a mail sorting job at the main post office around here. There are NO benefits with the 'temp' positions either.

I hope you've called the main USPS phone # of 800 275 8777 and reported this issue to them. I would explain that the manager of that office is being the giant jackass that he's being, and ask for the district manager's name and phone number. I'd give the DM a call and let them know what's going on.

In most cases, if you take the time to properly package a game for shipment, it would take an immense amount of abuse to really damage it. If the game came disc-only, there's plenty of ways it could get damaged, though if it was packed in its case, then it would take some bad abuse to crack a game in the center ring.

One problem is that as you're not the one with the insurance on the package, it's the shipper's insurance, they're the one who really needs to file the claim with the post office, not you. Your local post office picks up the package and has it sent to the postal inspectors to look over the package for any damage and get that issue moving forward.

The manager of your post office seems like a real piece of work. All the more reason to deal with his boss and get this issue resolved.

Alright well I have an update. I called the main USPS number and filed a complaint there, they then directed me to the Cincinnati Postmaster's office. I spoke with someone there who helped me look into the situation. He told me that no matter what he thought the manager there had to at least take my claim. Because I paid insurance he would at least have to send it away to have the claim looked at.

I started telling him it was less about the claim because I was covered either way I didn't care to much. I told him it was more about being treated like a criminal in front of my community. He apologized and had me describe the manager, he then called the post office to find out who I had spoke to and when he got back on the line with me he told me that after speaking to the manger I talked to yesterday he believed every bit of what I told him. He said that the manager even had an attitude with him over the phone about the whole thing. So as it stands he told me that an investigation on how that branch operates would be done and disciplinary action will be taken if they see fit. I'm not sure how far it would actually go but at least the manager was a dick to the guy I was talking to too so that gave me some validity in my claim.

The representative on the phone told me that he has to take my claim and if I go back he has to take it. It should be fun to see the look on his face as he processes my claim after all. He also gave me his direct line and asked me to contact him if they give me any more trouble whatsoever.

[quote name='MikeBastard']This story needs to go on consumerist.com[/QUOTE]

+1
Also please update when you go back to the post office.

[quote name='MikeBastard']This story needs to go on consumerist.com[/QUOTE]

It's more like whinerist.com. Wahhh wahhh I didn't get waited on hand and foot within 1.52 nanoseconds of going into Best Buy. I deserve compensation for wasting a half second of my life because I'm fuckin' important and my time is soooooo valuable.

That's what many of the stories on consumerist.com sounded like to me, little bitches crying about not being catered to and pampered from the moment they step foot in a store.

bread's done
Back