The VGA cable fails me.

Darkside Hazuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Now that they've finally fixed the colors, I thought I'd give this VGA thing a shot. My TV (a Vizio L32) has a native resoltuion of 1366x768. Coincidentally, there's a setting for that resolution in the Display settings...HOWEVER, when set to that, the picture is so far to the right that no tweaking of my TV menu can get the entire image on the screen. Naturally, the previous (and less desirable) setting of 1284x1080 displays perfectly.

I've used two Mac minis on this display at the native resolution with no adjustments necessary, and this is driving me nuts. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Hmmm... I have an LCD that has a native resolution of 1366 x 768, same as yours, and I don't even see that resolution as an option in the settings.

I have:

640x480
848x480
1024x768
1280x720
1280x768
1280x1024
1360x768
1920x1080

Am I missing something here? And does anyone know what the "reference levels" are for?

[quote name='valor19']And does anyone know what the "reference levels" are for?[/QUOTE]
Reference levels cause sharper colors if you're TV/Monitor can support it. I'm using expanded and it looks great.

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']Naturally, the previous (and less desirable) setting of 1284x1080 displays perfectly.
[/QUOTE]

First of all the previous poster is right, there is no 1366x768, only 1360x768 so it is not quite native resolution. Secondly you mean 1280x1024. Thirdly 1280x1024 is a 5:4 resolution and your TV is 16:9, so I would suggest using 1280x720.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Reference levels cause sharper colors if you're TV/Monitor can support it. I'm using expanded and it looks great.
[/QUOTE]

Apparently, in the new update they fixed the problem with black over vga.

"Often the object of criticism for "washed out" finishes to images, the Xbox 360 rendered images in a slightly less vibrant manner that even average digital cameras were capable of on small LCD screens. The culprit was the technical divide on how the LDC TV and LCD monitor interprets black levels. LCD TVs define the color black on a level of 7.5 IRE when properly calibrated. In contrast the LCD monitor, commonly used for computers, labels black as completely black, with a zero level. LCD TVs also inherited that property when accepting signals through the VGA port, since manufacturers believed that the VGA port would usually be connected to PCs. So while connected through VGA, the Xbox 360 still sends signals appropriate for the 7.5 IRE level of black, instead of zero. This tells the LCD that the color isn't actually black, but a lighter shade of grey. Thanks to the Spring Update, however, Xbox 360 owners have access to an IRE tweak feature that allows them to set the black level either to 7.5 IRE, zero IRE or and IRE level in-between. The modes are Standard (zero), Intermediate and Expanded (7.5) modes are the only three modes that encompass a viewers range of options, although we believe once you go expanded, you won't be going back to standard. Comparison images brought you by Daily Tech."

How do I know if my LCD supports the Expanded mode? Is there any harm in running in that mode to see if it works?

^Sorry for getting off topic, OP. I tried to replicate your problem but could not.

I didn't have a problem with my generic vga cable before but for some reason when I play PGR the pic is distorted like it's in widescreen mode. I have a 4:3 computer monitor and have the 360 set to 1280x1024 with normal aspect. I don't know what else it could be. Odd part is all the other games I've tried play fine.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I didn't have a problem with my generic vga cable before but for some reason when I play PGR the pic is distorted like it's in widescreen mode. I have a 4:3 computer monitor and have the 360 set to 1280x1024 with normal aspect. I don't know what else it could be. Odd part is all the other games I've tried play fine.[/QUOTE]

Maybe that problem comes from the fact that PGR3 is not really a 720p game, it is rendered at 1024 x 600 and then upscaled to 720. Maybe the resolution you are running is conflicting with the upscaling or something?

[quote name='PenguinMaster']First of all the previous poster is right, there is no 1366x768, only 1360x768 so it is not quite native resolution. Secondly you mean 1280x1024. Thirdly 1280x1024 is a 5:4 resolution and your TV is 16:9, so I would suggest using 1280x720.[/quote]

First, you are correct, sir. But when I select 1360x768, the tele tells me it's getting 1366x768. Whom shall I say is correct, and where would those missing six pixels go?
Secondly, you are correct again. I was typing that off the top of my head and jumbled the numbers.
Thirdly, I shall give that a shot, thank you.

Honestly though, I still feel like the colors are better (brighter, richer, what have you) with the component cables. Woe is me.

That's weird. I've used both 1440x900 and 1680x1050 monitors, using that 1360x768 360 VGA cable setting, and it's fit the screen perfect with both of them.

I wonder why it would do that with a resolution so close to it.

OP, I have a Vizio GV42L, My manual says my NR is also 1366x768 but I'm running the 1280x768 resolution, and my display is centered.. But if I check the 1360x768 it will go to the right like yours. So that's why I just keep it at 1280x768.

Oh and about reference levels, I tried each setting but they didnt seem to make a difference..

What VGA cables are you guys using? The official one? I have that generic Dragon VGA cable I bought off of Play Asia a while back when it was on sale pretty cheap and it's worked for me pretty good.

I just picked up some vga cables from target for my samsung dlp. I've tried connecting the white and red audio cables to every input (dvi, av, component) I even tried the optical one but I can't seem to get any sound out. can anyone help?

Reference levels are only going to make a difference if your input device has an issue with that 7.5 IRE. I use a projector and the VGA cable and could tell absolutely no difference in the reference settings. This is because my projector handles blacks without a problem.

I run the official MS cables at 1280x720, Widescreen.

OP, do you really need to run any resolution higher than 720P? I've run everything available (up to 1920x1080) and while things might "look" better at a higher resolution, the frame rate suffers in a large number of games.

bread's done
Back