The visual modding thread

Today I got the RROD 360 I bought off of eBay earlier this week. I took it apart and then realized I didn't have the T8 around to perform the X-Clamp. So I decided to go ahead and paint they shell. I decided to go with this metallic grayish/ash color. So far it is looking pretty slick.

I am going to hit it with another coat after work at 8 AM and then probably another one when I wake up. I will try to put the shell back together and take some pics and post them.

I still can't decide if I want to do some sort of design on the outside. I was thinking about throwing down some red or blue on it.

EDIT: Quick question, anybody have any ideas how to spray the power button without going over the little controller indicator window?

Just finished my 360 today, it was more of just a scrap project. Bought it broken on ebay for 60 bucks shipped. Fixed the RRoD, and then went a head and painted the system. It is a black/dark gray metallic. I will get some pics up here in the next couple days when I get some free time.

P.S. Anyone have any tips for doing the faceplate's power button?? Was curious for future mods. This time I was having a hell of a time and ended up making it kind of different. Instead of taping it off (which I tried to do and was nearly impossible), I went a head and popped the whole button and quadrant plastic off of the back of the faceplate. I then just drilled out the little power logo to give it a clean "O". I personally think it looks kind of cool to just have the light shining right through.

I've heard of people applying some rubber cement using a toothpick over what you want to keep (power icon), and then just rubbing it off after the paint is dry.

I tried opening the HDD with a small screwdriver from a repair kit for glasses and I couldn't get it to work...do they make smaller torx drivers?

[quote name='Danil ACE']I've heard of people applying some rubber cement using a toothpick over what you want to keep (power icon), and then just rubbing it off after the paint is dry.[/quote]

Ah. Thanks ACE. I will try this on my next mod.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I tried opening the HDD with a small screwdriver from a repair kit for glasses and I couldn't get it to work...do they make smaller torx drivers?[/quote]

Here's what I picked up to get the screwdriver needed to do the internal smaller torx screws on the 360.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...item=110222458131&_trksid=p3984.cWON.m313.lVI

Don't know if this will help as I haven't seen the size of the HD-DVD screws. I used it for what I had to do and it worked great for the price.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']NP. Just remember you're looking for vinyl dye.

My Xplorer is going to get the treatment if my GH3 ever shows up.[/quote]

I personally used Dupl-Color's Auto Spray that is found at most stores (I picked it up at Meijer). However, I only used it on the system itself, I don't know how it would hold up on a controller with it constantly being touched.

I think the Xplorer is going to be next for me.

P.S. Hopefully I will be able to upload the pics tonight if I find my camera dock.

Any advice on painting a les paul faceplate? I read scorehero's painting guide but it only covers the SG, which IIRC is a different surface than the Les paul. Any color suggestions for just the faceplate?

[quote name='Manatee']Any advice on painting a les paul faceplate? I read scorehero's painting guide but it only covers the SG, which IIRC is a different surface than the Les paul. Any color suggestions for just the faceplate?[/QUOTE]

If it's plastic, the vinyl dye should be fine. I don't have access to one, so I couldn't tell you for sure.

[quote name='Static X']That chat pad is sweet.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Due to the curves and the proclivity of pooling, that was easily the hardest.

I'm not holding out much hope that my Les Paul will get here Monday, but if it does, the Xplorer goes under the nozzle on Tuesday.

I will prolly do my Xplorer over break this week or next. I will prolly also do one of my controllers.

I am going to go take some pictures of my 360 I finished this week and will have them up in about 15 mins. Seeing as there is nothing else to do here at work.

Here are the pics... (Note: Because of the metallic color I used, it is somewhat harder to photograph the true finish. Also there are few scratches from re-assembly, they will prolly be fixed this week during my spring break).

NewImage.jpg

DSCF0166.jpg

DSCF0167.jpg

untitled.jpg

DSCF0169.jpg

DSCF0173.jpg

What size torx would I need to look for to find one that unscrews the small HDD screws? I've tried with a few different sized phillips and I'm afraid I'm going to damage the screws and they'll be stuck permenantly.

I think MS dropped the ball on this never fully pushing the idea of faceplates. I would have loved if they released the Japan exclusives over here. Anyway anybody with experience customizing faceplates? Like what paint? sanding needed? templates or by hand? etc....Tips would be appreciated. Thanks! :D

Im trying to replicate the E3 2005 Green Rings one but I think doing the circles by hand would be hard. Ebay is too expensive charging $75+ for a piece of plastic. Anyone with a template or something for this design?

Don't forget to keep your old one laying around. I've got a few friends that lost their faceplates by sending it to Microsoft for repairs :\

That said, there used to be a company that made custom plates (Pelican? or something like that.) Maybe you can search around for old threads on them and see if anyone mentioned what kind of paint they used or any tips.

I handpainted my own and it turned out pretty well. Use plastic paints that you can buy at any craft store. No need to sand, but wash the surface well and make sure it's dry before painting.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Bump up to the top.

Did my shorty remote as a test, and went ahead and did the chatpad.

[/quote]

I am going to star prepping to paint my chatpad. I just have a couple of questions.

1. Are there any screws under the stickers that I need to remove? Or just
remove them and apply them later to get a cleaner look?

2. For the Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric, Is the color I need just black or does it
have a specific name.

3. Do I need to remove any of the original paint from the chat pad or just
paint over it?

4. You recommend not to paint it on top of cardboard. Would newspaper or
cloth be better or worse.

5. Any areas I should cover with tape to avoid over spray or destroying of
functional parts?

thanks.

My local Harbor Freight sells a whole security bit set for $3. You get a wide variety of Torx bits as well as other types I've never seen. It comes in a little red rubber clam shell case. Each bit fits in to a little pocket. Kinda looks like the bottom of an egg carton.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Picture blowout below, I don't feel like making thumbs. As you can see, it is darker and glossier than the Elite, even though it's flat black. Seems like the Elite was made with a black that had grey in it. Still looks very sharp, though. There's a couple of places that got nicked while putting it back together, I'm not sure it could have been avoided. Alas, I'm out of dye. I'll go back after a while and touch up those two little places when I (maybe) do my controller. Need to focus on school for a few weeks, though.

DSC01440.jpg

DSC01439.jpg

DSC01438.jpg

DSC01437.jpg

DSC01436.jpg

DSC01435.jpg

DSC01434.jpg

DSC01433.jpg

DSC01432.jpg

DSC01431.jpg
[/QUOTE]

WOW nice work. did you just tape off the parts that you did not want to dye?

Also that video of the Gears controler someone posted was nice. That mod must have taken a lot of time. To bad they dont actually do that with the controlers that come out. If they did stuff like that people wouldnt have to mod. Well atleast not mod much.

[quote name='jdeluis']I am going to star prepping to paint my chatpad. I just have a couple of questions.

1. Are there any screws under the stickers that I need to remove? Or just
remove them and apply them later to get a cleaner look?

2. For the Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric, Is the color I need just black or does it
have a specific name.

3. Do I need to remove any of the original paint from the chat pad or just
paint over it?

4. You recommend not to paint it on top of cardboard. Would newspaper or
cloth be better or worse.

5. Any areas I should cover with tape to avoid over spray or destroying of
functional parts?

thanks.[/QUOTE]

I'll try to answer the best I can, it's been awhile.

The stickers don't hide any screws, IIRC. Just go slowly removing the halves.

I believe I used Flat Black. The color doesn't match the console or controller perfectly, but it's close.

Just spray it after you follow the instructions on the can. I removed all parts I was not painting, because you need to thoroughly wash the plastic for the dye to bind properly. I recommend not placing it on ANY surface, because the dye will bond the surfaces together and it will be ugly. Suspend it in the air, or above whatever surface you are painting on (a painting rig). Again, you're removing just about everything, or taping over stickers. Your pad, mic connection, etc all are removable.

[quote name='sendme']WOW nice work. did you just tape off the parts that you did not want to dye?

Also that video of the Gears controler someone posted was nice. That mod must have taken a lot of time. To bad they dont actually do that with the controlers that come out. If they did stuff like that people wouldnt have to mod. Well atleast not mod much.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I only taped over the back sticker - every thing else came out.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I'll try to answer the best I can, it's been awhile.

The stickers don't hide any screws, IIRC. Just go slowly removing the halves.

I believe I used Flat Black. The color doesn't match the console or controller perfectly, but it's close.

Just spray it after you follow the instructions on the can. I removed all parts I was not painting, because you need to thoroughly wash the plastic for the dye to bind properly. I recommend not placing it on ANY surface, because the dye will bond the surfaces together and it will be ugly. Suspend it in the air, or above whatever surface you are painting on (a painting rig). Again, you're removing just about everything, or taping over stickers. Your pad, mic connection, etc all are removable.

Thanks. I only taped over the back sticker - every thing else came [/quote]

Thank you for the help. I just have one more question. Did you paint the inside of the chat pad as well or just the outside?

Inside as well, since I was already doing it.

I have noticed that with the 1-2 coats I did, I've seen a couple of scratches that show the primary layer. Nothing big, but it may help you out.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Inside as well, since I was already doing it.

I have noticed that with the 1-2 coats I did, I've seen a couple of scratches that show the primary layer. Nothing big, but it may help you out.[/quote]

More than 2 coats would be ideal to avoid this problem?

[quote name='jdeluis']More than 2 coats would be ideal to avoid this problem?[/quote]I imagine, but something to keep in mind is that you don't wanna put on too many (thick) coats or else you might have problems putting it back together without scratching the paint off. These components are designed without the extra layers of paint you're gonna put on.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I imagine, but something to keep in mind is that you don't wanna put on too many (thick) coats or else you might have problems putting it back together without scratching the paint off. These components are designed without the extra layers of paint you're gonna put on.[/quote]

Good to know. Thanks for the help. :applause:

After seeing this thread bumped, I had forgot that I had painted my Chatpad black to match my controller.

It was my first time painting something with vinyl paint, so it did not come out perfect. Pictures don't show all the details, but give in idea of how it looks. Thanks for all the help CocheseUGA.

IMG_6088.jpg

Same chatpad, only this time mounted to halo controller.
IMG_6089.jpg

I like the modding. Most of you guys here are probably familiar with Talismoon and XCM products if you've looked into case mods before. If you want any items from them let me know as I'm an official reseller of their products.

I've really toned down the amount of stuff I've done since I got a job and bought a house. Seems like there's never any time.

Next thing I'm doing is changing my Wii case.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I've really toned down the amount of stuff I've done since I got a job and bought a house. Seems like there's never any time.

Next thing I'm doing is changing my Wii case.[/quote]

I have a full time job, wife and kid on the way.....I'm still doing a new case or a little work on one each day...Its actually something my wife enjoys doing too, so it really works well.

I'll post some pics or a vid of my set up in a day or two.
It's a black custom case with an X cut out on the side, and glass through it, so you can see inside the system. Then it has flashing LED lights, or I can set it to any certain color. I also have it vertical, with a black LED Stand that flashes. Looks very sharp.

My black controller has the ABXY buttons lit up their respective color, and a blue guide button and blue ring of lights.

[quote name='Wolve11']I have a full time job, wife and kid on the way.....I'm still doing a new case or a little work on one each day...Its actually something my wife enjoys doing too, so it really works well.[/QUOTE]

I am working on my third. You'll be amazed at how little time you have.

[quote name='Sparta Omni']I'll post some pics or a vid of my set up in a day or two.
It's a black custom case with an X cut out on the side, and glass through it, so you can see inside the system. Then it has flashing LED lights, or I can set it to any certain color. I also have it vertical, with a black LED Stand that flashes. Looks very sharp.

My black controller has the ABXY buttons lit up their respective color, and a blue guide button and blue ring of lights.[/quote]

Basically you just bought an XCM Chameleon case that has the switch to change out the LEDs or did you do it yourself?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I am working on my third. You'll be amazed at how little time you have.[/quote]

Yea, which is why I'm trying to mess around with this before the baby is born next month.....but we'll see...its a work in progress that takes time and if I mess it up there's no big hurry since I'm loaded with 360 cases right now.

I painted my dreamcast and dreamcast controller bright red last spring, and it looks great.

Although, I am too poor to risk a chance ruining my 360 controllers.

I am contemplating it now...I assume all controllers are pretty similar, when it comes to taking them apart and putting them back together?

[quote name='Wolve11']Basically you just bought an XCM Chameleon case that has the switch to change out the LEDs or did you do it yourself?[/quote]
I bought the case and the stand. The controller I'm doing now.

Man I can't wait to see X-plorer guitars. I hate the plain white and Am looking for some ideas. These chatpads and controllers look awesome also. Great Thread.

I LOVE my x-plorer, I recommend everyone paint one. ;)

Controllers are easy to take apart, just 7 screws and the button holes are notched so you can't put them back in crooked or something.

bread's done
Back