The Walking Dead Blu-Ray Pre-Order

There are only going to be 6 episodes released in the 1st Season, so I'm not sure whether it's worth $34.99 or not? It is an awesome show though!

Well, that's still 6 and a half hours worth of awesomeness. So yah, I guess it depends if your really big into the comic or not. I was, so I couldn't contain my self.

I was eagerly awaiting the pilot episode. I must say I'm going to enjoy this series. I was playing splinter cell conviction not long ago and I noticed all the posters pasted along the levels. LOL, i had to do a double take, since I couldn't believe they were there. Figure they'd have wanted to put those posters in a game like left4dead instead lol.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']There are only going to be 6 episodes released in the 1st Season, so I'm not sure whether it's worth $34.99 or not? It is an awesome show though![/QUOTE]

They originally ordered 6, but during shooting ordered 6 more. There should be 12 total this season, 12-13 the next.

[quote name='Rage Goblin']Yeah, just going to download this from iTunes. $35 for 6 episodes? The download is $16.[/QUOTE]
the download is also piss poor compressed 720p where as the blu-ray will be full 1080p etc.

usually i wouldn't spend 30+ on a show that is 12 or under episodes on BR but this show is pure quality, well worth 35$, probably will be 35-40 msrp when it comes out anyways.

[quote name='mtxbass1']They originally ordered 6, but during shooting ordered 6 more. There should be 12 total this season, 12-13 the next.[/QUOTE]
no season 1 is just 6 episodes you misunderstood when they ordered the six, S1 will be a total of 6 episdoes and AMC has yet to order anymore episodes or a 2nd season.

[quote name='irratebass']Only 6 episodes for the 1st season??? WTF??[/QUOTE]
breaking bad only had what? 6 episodes the first season? seems common with AMC

it's a zombie show with a pretty big budget, when AMC ordered it they had no idea it was going to blow up like it did, when they signed the deal they most likely thought it was going to fail or at best do decent, makes sense that they would only order a half of a season.

[quote name='mtxbass1']They originally ordered 6, but during shooting ordered 6 more. There should be 12 total this season, 12-13 the next.[/QUOTE]

Is this true? I kept reading that it was only going to be 6 episodes and that's it. If this is true then its an instant buy for me on Blu (was going to be anyway but at $34 its a bit much for 6 episodes.)

[quote name='irratebass']Only 6 episodes for the 1st season??? WTF??[/QUOTE]

I agree. I guess they wanted to test the waters like they did with Breaking Bad when it first started

[quote name='styl3s']breaking bad only had what? 6 episodes the first season? seems common with AMC

it's a zombie show with a pretty big budget, when AMC ordered it they had no idea it was going to blow up like it did, when they signed the deal they most likely thought it was going to fail or at best do decent, makes sense that they would only order a half of a season.[/QUOTE]

Breaking Bad was hit with the Writers Strike. They had no choice but to shut down (it had a 7 episode Season, not 6). The original order was for 13 episodes like Season Two/Three. They had to quickly come up with a Season ender and not an episode ender right before the strike officially hit.

The Walking Dead is a far more expensive show to produce, so 6 episodes is about right. No worries, it's sure to get renewed.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Breaking Bad was hit with the Writers Strike. They had no choice but to shut down (it had a 7 episode Season, not 6). The original order was for 13 episodes like Season Two/Three. They had to quickly come up with a Season ender and not an episode ender right before the strike officially hit.

The Walking Dead is a far more expensive show to produce, so 6 episodes is about right. No worries, it's sure to get renewed.[/QUOTE]
If it doesn't get picked up AMC is ran by monkeys, EP1 was the highest cable premiere of 2010 with i believe 5.3 million viewers which is HUGE and after the 2nd showing it ended up at like 8-8.1 million.

the show is a gigantic hit and i am actually surprised AMC hasn't already picked it up, i am guessing they wanna wait for episode 2-3 to make sure it continues to get great numbers, im guessing episode 2 will get around the same numbers if not more from all the insanely good reviews and chatter about it

Season 2 is pretty much a done deal even before the series aired. The other shows that aired...Rubicon and something else - does not look like they will get a second season. So all AMC has is Breaking Bad and Mad Men.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Season 2 is pretty much a done deal even before the series aired. The other shows that aired...Rubicon and something else - does not look like they will get a second season. So all AMC has is Breaking Bad and Mad Men.[/QUOTE]
aww i like rubicon :cry:

[quote name='GizmoGC']Season 2 is pretty much a done deal even before the series aired. The other shows that aired...Rubicon and something else - does not look like they will get a second season. So all AMC has is Breaking Bad and Mad Men.[/QUOTE]
While Rubicon hasn't officially been renewed, there are casting calls for a second season, which is a strong indication that it'll be back. But that's the only other AMC original besides BB, MM, and TWD so I'm not sure what you mean by "something else."

[quote name='doctorthodt']While Rubicon hasn't officially been renewed, there are casting calls for a second season, which is a strong indication that it'll be back. But that's the only other AMC original besides BB, MM, and TWD so I'm not sure what you mean by "something else."[/QUOTE]

I thought AMC had another show. I only watch BB, and obviously now TWD.

[quote name='GizmoGC']I thought AMC had another show. I only watch BB, and obviously now TWD.[/QUOTE]

They had The Prisoner last year, but that was only a mini-series.

The first episode was fantastic, but (a small but) the look ahead at Season 1 looked to be filled with zombie movie/game cliches. I won't go on to list them because someone will cry spoilers. :p Just a concern in the back of my mind.. certain set pieces looked like they were ripped right out of Dead Rising, Dawn of the Dead, etc. Maybe it's just me being cautiously optimistic or the inspiration for the comic, though..

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Preordered. Thanks OP.

And the pilot episode is still sitting on my dvr waiting for me to watch it ! :p[/QUOTE]

Just watched it last night for the first time off mine...fan-effing-tastic. Looking forward to tomorrow night. This and Boardwalk Empire...mmmmmm.

yeah, I'll throw my vote in for this show.. perhaps the best new 'IP' I've seen in years!! the only other one being Modern Family..and to think, I had lost all hope in TV prior to 2009, but then so much good stuff started to come out. TV is really going to the way of films and being more professional.

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']The first episode was fantastic, but (a small but) the look ahead at Season 1 looked to be filled with zombie movie/game cliches. I won't go on to list them because someone will cry spoilers. :p Just a concern in the back of my mind.. certain set pieces looked like they were ripped right out of Dead Rising, Dawn of the Dead, etc. Maybe it's just me being cautiously optimistic or the inspiration for the comic, though..[/QUOTE]
what exactly was taken from dead rising? dead rising in itself was a dawn of the dead rip off and what is it taking from dawn?

[quote name='styl3s']what exactly was taken from dead rising? dead rising in itself was a dawn of the dead rip off and what is it taking from dawn?[/QUOTE]

He's probably blaming the gas station scene with ripping off Dawn of the Dead. Or something.

All zombie media is based off the Romero films in some way, so that's an unfair comparison at any rate.

That's cool that you can go ahead and pre-order it, at least.

I'm gonna hold out - Robert Kirkman is my first cousin, so I'm hoping he'll hook me up with a copy of the Blu. :)

Breaking Bad Season 1 Blu-Ray is on sale for $18.49 on amazon and the MSRP is $29.95. I'm hoping that The Walking Dead gets the same MSRP. I love the comic and I'm sure the show is gonna kick ass, but I'm not paying $35 for 6 episodes.

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']The first episode was fantastic, but (a small but) the look ahead at Season 1 looked to be filled with zombie movie/game cliches. I won't go on to list them because someone will cry spoilers. :p Just a concern in the back of my mind.. certain set pieces looked like they were ripped right out of Dead Rising, Dawn of the Dead, etc. Maybe it's just me being cautiously optimistic or the inspiration for the comic, though..[/QUOTE]

I noticed that too (what appeared to be them trapped in a shopping mall really made me think- oh really?), but I still can't wait to see this each week!

I could definitely see myself buying Season 1 on Blu-ray for $19.99 in the future (wow has HDTV spoiled me- I have Directv, and yet AMC isn't offered in true HD- the first episode looked like crap on my DVR, but still I love it), but $34.99 for 6 plus hours says "wait" all over it.

I hope this gets some Emmy nominations! Yes I think that highly of it from just the first episode! :applause:

I'm a sucker for just about anything Zombie/Post-Apocalyptic, so I had to bite. I will also keep up with the TV shown episodes tho. The pilot was effin awesome, despite it being a bit on the slow end. I can't wait for more later today!

[quote name='styl3s']what exactly was taken from dead rising? dead rising in itself was a dawn of the dead rip off and what is it taking from dawn?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='JasonTerminator']He's probably blaming the gas station scene with ripping off Dawn of the Dead. Or something.

All zombie media is based off the Romero films in some way, so that's an unfair comparison at any rate.[/QUOTE]

The idea that all surviving humans would decide to go to a shopping mall during/after a zombie infestation. DotD has a scene where they're trapped on the roof, which was shown in the look ahead of TWD.
Anyways, someone who has read the books assured me that this was done intentionally: "As for recycling zombie cliches, that is sort of the whole point of the books. Robert Kirkman, who is also a writer for the show, said his whole plan for the books was to use and spin every zombie trope you have ever seen, while inventing a few new ones, and then putting his own spin on everything."

Just watched the first episode, pretty awesome. Did anyone else hear the 360 achievement sound when he shot that cop Leon in the head?

I bought the season on Xbox 360 Zune Market Place for 1300 points and its 1080p, I have Directv and would record with my dvr but they do not have amc in hd :(, but $34.99 for the blu is not that bad,

[quote name='beatngurnuts']I bought the season on Xbox 360 Zune Market Place for 1300 points and its 1080p[/QUOTE]

That's another option worth pursuing too. A friend of mine just told me did the same, though he commented on how Zune doesn't upload each episode until Monday even though they air Sunday nights.

[quote name='BuckinKaeding']Breaking Bad Season 1 Blu-Ray is on sale for $18.49 on amazon and the MSRP is $29.95. I'm hoping that The Walking Dead gets the same MSRP. I love the comic and I'm sure the show is gonna kick ass, but I'm not paying $35 for 6 episodes.[/QUOTE]

The Walking Dead is produced by Anchor Bay/Starz, not Sony. The chances of the price being low are very high. You're looking at probably $30 or so for the 1st season (Spartacus was $35 on release week but has a much higher MSRP).

Did you ever read the comics? While the 1st episode was true to the comic, Darabont said he is not going to stay true to the comic, and Kirkman gave his blessing, Can't wait for tonight!!!

[quote name='irratebass']Did you ever read the comics? While the 1st episode was true to the comic, Darabont said he is not going to stay true to the comic, and Kirkman gave his blessing, Can't wait for tonight!!![/QUOTE]

I thought the first one was really close to the comic, but hearing this makes me weary now. But oh well, if they all turn out to be like the first episode, then we are in for an awesome season. Just a shame he isn't going off the comics really. But as long as kirman over see's things then I don't see that much of a problem.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I thought the first one was really close to the comic, but hearing this makes me weary now. But oh well, if they all turn out to be like the first episode, then we are in for an awesome season. Just a shame he isn't going off the comics really. But as long as kirman over see's things then I don't see that much of a problem.[/QUOTE]

The only thing I feel as if the show needs to keep from the comic is the tone. If it does end up turning into an action horror TV show I'll be disappointed.

Anyone notice how the pre-order for Season 1 on Blu-ray at Amazon.com jumped to $44.99 from $34.99? I guess Amazon does read these threads! ;)

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']Anyone notice how the pre-order for Season 1 on Blu-ray at Amazon.com jumped to $44.99 from $34.99? I guess Amazon does read these threads! ;)[/QUOTE]

yep... no longer interested

I don't think it's that they read the threads. They probably just got a ton of preorders and the supply/demand ratio needed to be reset.

Oh and episode 2 was awesome! But I always forget to enter the damn zombie contest...

bread's done
Back