The Wii 16:9 List - Work in Progress.. Come HALP!

[quote name='yoursisterspretty']HotD 2&3 is stretched widescreen. Just opened and played it last night. Doesn't look terrible, but it is stretched/faked widescreen. In fact if it wasn't for the home screen, you almost would believe it was true widescreen. So, I guess technically it is 16:9, but its just stretching it.[/quote]

I'm missing something here.

The game appears to offer a widescreen presentation. So how can you tell that it's faked? You said you'd believe it was 16:9 if not for the Home menu, but is that the only criteria you're using to determine it's not true 16:9, or is there a clear difference in the look of the game? Those screenshots on NeoGAF, especially the on-screen HUD, look identical to the 4:3 screens.

So if you could give more details, that's be great, thanks.

They shouldn't look identicle to the 4:3 screens.

That's the problem.
Somes games don't look bad at all stretched out. Like Trauma Center.

[quote name='dallow']They shouldn't look identicle to the 4:3 screens.

That's the problem.
Somes games don't look bad at all stretched out. Like Trauma Center.[/quote]

When I say identical, I mean that the models AND the HUD don't look stretched, nor does the top or bottom of the screen look zoomed in or out.

That's what I mean - it looks like a bona fide 16:9 presentation. I don't get how it isn't?

You'll have to judge it when you get the game yourself, and not from off-screen pics.
It seems like it's true WS, it did to me at first.

But if the Wii's HUD is stretched, then the picture is stretched. Like in every other 4:3 game.
There's a reason you get the option for WS in game menus.

So what's the downside in 'simulated' 16:9 versus a true 16:9?

Both present the game in a 16:9 format on our TV screens, and I never notice much at all in the way of artifacts or anything when I accidentally leave a 4:3 game on in stretched mode...so I don't get why HotD would be classified as 4:3, when playing it on a widescreen set it offers a widescreen presentation.

I'm just curious as to what differentiates the two, when the end result is the same presentation.

Here's how you can tell HotD2/3 isn't 16:9: compare the game running in the widescreen setting on your TV but switch between Normal and Widescreen in the Wii's system settings. It'll look exactly the same when it shouldn't. I made a mistake in saying that it was technically 16:9 when it isn't. It just looks great stretched. HotD is 4:3.

I took a few shots of Mario Galaxy using the same test setup as above.

Mario Galaxy, Wii set to 4:3 and TV set to "Wide":
galaxy_normal.JPG

Mario Galaxy, Wii set to 16:9 and TV set to "Wide":
galaxy_wide.JPG

You can see how much more you can see in the outside edges.

Trying to clear this up for me personally after testing a bunch of games I think I've found a sure fire way to see if a game is 16:9 or not right at the game's boot. Just take a look at the Wiimote warning screen. The warning screen is obviously just an 4:3 image. If there's a lot white space on the sides of the warning then the game is presented in 16:9, if there's not your TV is stretching the image and thus less white space. This works for me even with game's like Super Paper Mario where I still have small black bars on the sides of the screen even though the game is 16:9.

Mario Galaxy:
galaxy_warning.JPG

Super Paper Mario (which I get small black bars but its dark and you can't see them in the pic):
super_warning.JPG

HotD2/3:
hotd_warning.JPG

There was one more thing I wanted to add. I believe that there are actually 3 display modes for Wii software.

1) 480i
2) 480p (640x480)
3) true 480p widescreen (720x480)

I think games like Super Paper Mario (which give black bars for some people) are actually #2. The screen is compressed horizontally which when stretched to a 16:9 screen scale appropriately (N64 games simulated widescreen in this way).

Just my theory as to the black bars. Discuss and prove me wrong because there has to be some reason for them since they are not found it all games.

[quote name='mephitical']Uh, yeah it is. Check your settings. I'm looking at it in widescreen right now.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/768/768874p1.html[/quote]

There is a ~1" border on the vertical edges of the screen. My TV is set to a fixed pixel setting. This is definitely not fully widescreen. I have the same edges that I get with Rayman Raving Rabbids, which is also NOT widescreen.

There are not settings for me to check. I do AV installs professionally. Your TV clearly has overscan. Mine does not.

IGN can post whatever they want. It doesn't make them right.

Everyone with a properly calibrated set that doesn't suffer from overscan is getting vertical bars on SSX:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=9904630&highlight=ssx#post9904630

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX'] I do AV installs professionally. [/quote]
Aye aye. I think the general consensus here though is that these are being included in the 16:9 section.

[quote name='yoursisterspretty']There was one more thing I wanted to add. I believe that there are actually 3 display modes for Wii software.

1) 480i
2) 480p (640x480)

I think games like Super Paper Mario (which give black bars for some people) are actually #2. The screen is compressed horizontally which when stretched to a 16:9 screen scale appropriately (N64 games simulated widescreen in this way).

Just my theory as to the black bars. Discuss and prove me wrong because there has to be some reason for them since they are not found it all games.[/QUOTE]

All current Wii games are 640x480. The ones that support widescreen are anamorphic. They're still 640x480, but use rectangular pixels to generate an image that looks right when stretched out to 16x9.

Here's an AVS forum thread with some discussion of this issue:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=944740

Some of the games that are 4:3 don't look stretched for me in 16:9. Such as Harvey Birdman and Cooking Mama. I wonder why that is? I can usually tell if something is being stretched as I tend to watch things in their native aspect ratio. :whee:

I do have bars on the sides, maybe it's not so bad because it's semi-stretching it? Although I have bars on some 16:9 games like RE4.

[quote name='ma']All current Wii games are 640x480. The ones that support widescreen are anamorphic. They're still 640x480, but use rectangular pixels to generate an image that looks right when stretched out to 16x9.[/QUOTE]
Yea thats sad. :whistle2:( Thanks for the info. I'll update the OP this weekend.

[quote name='yukine']Some of the games that are 4:3 don't look stretched for me in 16:9. Such as Harvey Birdman and Cooking Mama. I wonder why that is? I can usually tell if something is being stretched as I tend to watch things in their native aspect ratio[/quote]
Well sometimes the mind plays tricks on you. Some people can never tell, though Harvey Birdman is sort of a bad game to not be able to tell cause I think its more obviously stretched cause of the taller/longer nature of the characters. Cooking Mama is less obvious because of the shape of everything is super deformed. Reminds me of watching South Park on a 16:9 screen, you can't really tell its stretched because of everyone's shape and it mostly focusing on the kids.

Cooking Mama is definitely 4:3. Everything is stretched, from the warning screen on.

As far as the 640x480 debate, the confused thread on AVSForum didn't convince me that it was a significant issue, and as far as I'm concerned if it looks fine and mostly fills the screen with no image distortion, it's fine with me. Half of the posts in that AVS thread were people who either had their Wii or TV set incorrectly.

[quote name='mephitical']As far as the 640x480 debate, the confused thread on AVSForum didn't convince me that it was a significant issue, and as far as I'm concerned if it looks fine and mostly fills the screen with no image distortion, it's fine with me. Half of the posts in that AVS thread were people who either had their Wii or TV set incorrectly.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, well I'm not sure what you mean, but I think you misinterpreted my post.

I don't think 640x480 is an "issue" per se--it is what it is. It's the same thing you get with a progressive scan dvd player and anamorphic dvds. It would be great if it was 720p or something, but then it'd cost $400 and I wouldn't have one.

Oh well, stretching some of these 4:3 games don't really bother me as I hardly notice. Even switching back from 16:9 to 4:3, it's strange as I usually get bothered when stuff looks "bloated" from the stretching.

Except in like WarioWare, that is pretty obviously stretched and annoys me.

Oh, and House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return is 4:3.

Scanning the last couple pages, I need to add these to the list.

16:9 - Bully, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Geometry Wars
4:3 - Super Swing Golf Season 2, House of the Dead 2/3 Return

This is also a reminder to myself of things I need to add that I got to play or see personally in the past couple weeks

16:9 - Smarty Pants, Sega Superstar Tennis, Deca Sports, Jumper, Victorious Boxers (4:3 cutscenes)
4:3 - Naruto Shippuuden 2, Katekyoo Hitman Reborn, Eyeshield 21, Balloon Pop, Cabela's Big Game Hunter, Jenga

I'll give the OP an update and fix the info where it says Wii can do 720x480 when I get home tonight. Also folks let me know if I should or shouldn't include those import games in the list. Theres a few there currently and I do label them with JPN though.

I'm sad we kind of forgot about this thread. Nitrobike is 4:3. I really need to go through the rest of my games that are not on the list and confirm the ratios.

My window fucking closed while I was posting. Quote dump for easy list updating: I might update the list to bring it up to date.

[quote name='mephitical']You can add House of the Dead 2&3 to the 4:3 section.[/quote]
[quote name='dallow']What? I read there was widescreen support?[/quote]
[quote name='mephitical']I'm still waiting for my copy, so maybe I shouldn't have posted yet, but by all accounts the "widescreen support" is just an auto-stretching of the 4:3 image, which would happen anyway for people with 16:9 TVs. I guess I should have my copy in the mail any day now and I'll confirm then.

I just read that Boom Blox will have 480p 16:9 support. I knew nothing about that game and after watching the EA preview video I want it. It looks like Peggle mixed with Wii Sports bowling and a shooter.
http://www.ea.com/boomblox/[/quote]
[quote name='crystalklear64']Super Swing Golf Season 2 = 4:3 only.[/quote]
[quote name='dallow']I asked at Neogaf and they're not 100% certain.

He says the Wii HUD when you press Home looks stretched.
However these pics don't:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10195392&postcount=115

Oh well, I'll get the game Sunday and know for sure.[/quote]
[quote name='CouRageouS']Oh shit if they added 16:9 to HoD 2/3 I will be ing juiced. Those pics look like it could actually be. I was planning on picking it up sometime next week.

Sad that Super Swing Golf Season 2 didn't get 16:9, I enjoyed the first game but hated the 4:3.[/quote]
[quote name='yoursisterspretty']HotD 2&3 is stretched widescreen. Just opened and played it last night. Doesn't look terrible, but it is stretched/faked widescreen. In fact if it wasn't for the home screen, you almost would believe it was true widescreen. So, I guess technically it is 16:9, but its just stretching it.[/quote]
[quote name='dallow']That's a shame.
4:3 it is.[/quote]
[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']I'm missing something here.

The game appears to offer a widescreen presentation. So how can you tell that it's faked? You said you'd believe it was 16:9 if not for the Home menu, but is that the only criteria you're using to determine it's not true 16:9, or is there a clear difference in the look of the game? Those screenshots on NeoGAF, especially the on-screen HUD, look identical to the 4:3 screens.

So if you could give more details, that's be great, thanks.[/quote]
[quote name='dallow']They shouldn't look identicle to the 4:3 screens.

That's the problem.
Somes games don't look bad at all stretched out. Like Trauma Center.[/quote]
[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']When I say identical, I mean that the models AND the HUD don't look stretched, nor does the top or bottom of the screen look zoomed in or out.

That's what I mean - it looks like a bona fide 16:9 presentation. I don't get how it isn't?[/quote]
[quote name='dallow']You'll have to judge it when you get the game yourself, and not from off-screen pics.
It seems like it's true WS, it did to me at first.

But if the Wii's HUD is stretched, then the picture is stretched. Like in every other 4:3 game.
There's a reason you get the option for WS in game menus.[/quote]
[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']So what's the downside in 'simulated' 16:9 versus a true 16:9?

Both present the game in a 16:9 format on our TV screens, and I never notice much at all in the way of artifacts or anything when I accidentally leave a 4:3 game on in stretched mode...so I don't get why HotD would be classified as 4:3, when playing it on a widescreen set it offers a widescreen presentation.

I'm just curious as to what differentiates the two, when the end result is the same presentation.[/quote]
[quote name='yoursisterspretty']Here's how you can tell HotD2/3 isn't 16:9: compare the game running in the widescreen setting on your TV but switch between Normal and Widescreen in the Wii's system settings. It'll look exactly the same when it shouldn't. I made a mistake in saying that it was technically 16:9 when it isn't. It just looks great stretched. HotD is 4:3.

I took a few shots of Mario Galaxy using the same test setup as above.

Mario Galaxy, Wii set to 4:3 and TV set to "Wide":
galaxy_normal.JPG

Mario Galaxy, Wii set to 16:9 and TV set to "Wide":
galaxy_wide.JPG

You can see how much more you can see in the outside edges.

Trying to clear this up for me personally after testing a bunch of games I think I've found a sure fire way to see if a game is 16:9 or not right at the game's boot. Just take a look at the Wiimote warning screen. The warning screen is obviously just an 4:3 image. If there's a lot white space on the sides of the warning then the game is presented in 16:9, if there's not your TV is stretching the image and thus less white space. This works for me even with game's like Super Paper Mario where I still have small black bars on the sides of the screen even though the game is 16:9.

Mario Galaxy:
galaxy_warning.JPG

Super Paper Mario (which I get small black bars but its dark and you can't see them in the pic):
super_warning.JPG

HotD2/3:
hotd_warning.JPG
[/quote]
[quote name='yoursisterspretty']There was one more thing I wanted to add. I believe that there are actually 3 display modes for Wii software.

1) 480i
2) 480p (640x480)

Just my theory as to the black bars. Discuss and prove me wrong because there has to be some reason for them since they are not found it all games.[/quote]
[quote name='Lynsanity']Marvel Ultimate Alliance is 16:9. It has slight borders on the left and right edges.[/quote]
[quote name='dallow']Nice job, yoursisterispretty.
Nail on the head there.[/quote]
[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']Rented SSX Blur from Gamefly.

SSX Blur is NOT widescreen [/quote]
[quote name='mephitical']Uh, yeah it is. Check your settings. I'm looking at it in widescreen right now.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/768/768874p1.html[/quote]
[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']There is a ~1" border on the vertical edges of the screen. My TV is set to a fixed pixel setting. This is definitely not fully widescreen. I have the same edges that I get with Rayman Raving Rabbids, which is also NOT widescreen.

There are not settings for me to check. I do AV installs professionally. Your TV clearly has overscan. Mine does not.

IGN can post whatever they want. It doesn't make them right.

Everyone with a properly calibrated set that doesn't suffer from overscan is getting vertical bars on SSX:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=9904630&highlight=ssx#post9904630[/quote]
[quote name='mephitical']Aye aye. I think the general consensus here though is that these are being included in the 16:9 section.[/quote]
[quote name='dallow']Yeah, lots of titles seem to come close to true 16:9 but have a little bit of underscan.

Better than 4:3 I guess.[/quote]
[quote name='legendoffanboy']fire emblem says widescreen on back of box, will test once I get a wii >>[/quote]
[quote name='ma']All current Wii games are 640x480. The ones that support widescreen are anamorphic. They're still 640x480, but use rectangular pixels to generate an image that looks right when stretched out to 16x9.

Here's an AVS forum thread with some discussion of this issue:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=944740[/quote]
[quote name='yukine']Some of the games that are 4:3 don't look stretched for me in 16:9. Such as Harvey Birdman and Cooking Mama. I wonder why that is? I can usually tell if something is being stretched as I tend to watch things in their native aspect ratio.

I do have bars on the sides, maybe it's not so bad because it's semi-stretching it? Although I have bars on some 16:9 games like RE4.[/quote]
[quote name='CouRageouS']Yea thats sad. Thanks for the info. I'll update the OP this weekend.

Well sometimes the mind plays tricks on you. Some people can never tell, though Harvey Birdman is sort of a bad game to not be able to tell cause I think its more obviously stretched cause of the taller/longer nature of the characters. Cooking Mama is less obvious because of the shape of everything is super deformed. Reminds me of watching South Park on a 16:9 screen, you can't really tell its stretched because of everyone's shape and it mostly focusing on the kids.[/quote]
[quote name='mephitical']Cooking Mama is definitely 4:3. Everything is stretched, from the warning screen on.

As far as the 640x480 debate, the confused thread on AVSForum didn't convince me that it was a significant issue, and as far as I'm concerned if it looks fine and mostly fills the screen with no image distortion, it's fine with me. Half of the posts in that AVS thread were people who either had their Wii or TV set incorrectly.[/quote]
[quote name='ma']Hmm, well I'm not sure what you mean, but I think you misinterpreted my post.

I don't think 640x480 is an "issue" per se--it is what it is. It's the same thing you get with a progressive scan dvd player and anamorphic dvds. It would be great if it was 720p or something, but then it'd cost $400 and I wouldn't have one.[/quote]
[quote name='seanr1221']Bully is widescreen.[/quote]
[quote name='yukine']Oh well, stretching some of these 4:3 games don't really bother me as I hardly notice. Even switching back from 16:9 to 4:3, it's strange as I usually get bothered when stuff looks "bloated" from the stretching.

Except in like WarioWare, that is pretty obviously stretched and annoys me.

Oh, and House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return is 4:3.[/quote]
[quote name='CouRageouS']Scanning the last couple pages, I need to add these to the list.

16:9 - Bully, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Geometry Wars
4:3 - Super Swing Golf Season 2, House of the Dead 2/3 Return

This is also a reminder to myself of things I need to add that I got to play or see personally in the past couple weeks

16:9 - Smarty Pants, Sega Superstar Tennis, Deca Sports, Jumper, Victorious Boxers (4:3 cutscenes)
4:3 - Naruto Shippuuden 2, Katekyoo Hitman Reborn, Eyeshield 21, Balloon Pop, Cabela's Big Game Hunter, Jenga

I'll give the OP an update and fix the info where it says Wii can do 720x480 when I get home tonight. Also folks let me know if I should or shouldn't include those import games in the list. Theres a few there currently and I do label them with JPN though.[/quote]
[quote name='mephitical']Are we still updating this? GT Pro series is 16:9. Wild Earth: African Safari is 4:3.[/quote]
[quote name='arromdee']Chocobo's Dungeon is another one that's widescreen except for some thin bars on the left and right.[/quote]

Courageous - quote me and remove the quotes, copy+paste to add to OP. Added some games that I've seen too, along with info on how to toggle 16:9/480p.

Wii games come in two flavors - 16:9 and 4:3 ratios.

various15_071127b.jpg
various15_071127a.jpg

Depending on what type of video connection you are using, your picture will the in 480i (interlaced) or 480p (progressive). For your Wii to be able to display 480p progressive scan there are two requirements. Your television needs to be an EDTV or HDTV, Enhanced or High Definition television and you need to be using component cables.

----------------------------------------------------------

To enable 16:9 and 480p on your Wii, select the circle in the bottom left labeled "Wii", then "Wii Settings", "Screen".
For 16:9:
"Widescreen Settings", "Widescreen (16:9)", "Confirm".
For 480p (must have component cables):
"TV Resolution", "EDTV or HDTV (480p), "Confirm".

The aspect ratio of all Wii games are determined by their developer. There isn't a basis as to why or why not games are certain ratios. All Wii channels display natively in 16:9 or 4:3. VC games are all 4:3. Only some Wii Ware games display in 16:9.

Games listed may have notes next to them. If some people say they have black bars on the sides of a 16:9 game, it will be noted. Please be aware that it is only for SOME TVs. Some people experience it and some may not. If you guys want to get technical we could try to list all 480p supported games but for now I think a 16:9 and 4:3 list are good enough. Later I want to add a list of Gamecube games that support 16:9 as well. I was even thinking of adding a little icon next to games with Pro Logic II support for us audiophiles. All contributions are appreciated. Thanks all!

16:9 Widescreen :whee:
Animal Crossing: City Folk
Battalion Wars 2
Big Brain Academy (borders for tests)
Bully
Carnival Games
Chocobo's Dungeon ("thin bars on left and right")
Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party
Deca Sports
Dewy's Adventure
Dragon Quest Swords
EA Playground
Elebits
Endless Ocean
Excite Truck
FIFA Soccer 08
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn ("says widescreen on back of box")
Game Party
Geometry Wars: Galaxies
Godfather Blackhand Edition
Godzilla Unleashed
GT Pro Series
Guitar Hero 3
Heatseeker
Jumper
Link's Crossbow Training
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, The
Mario and Sonic Olympic Games
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Strikers Charged
Marvel Ultimate Alliance ("slight borders")
Mercury Meltdown Revolution
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption
Nights Journey of Dreams
Ninja Reflex
No More Heroes
Oneechanbara Revolution (JPN)
Okami
Resident Evil 4 (black bars on some TVs)
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
Scarface The World is Yours
Sega Superstars Tennis
Smarty Pants
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic Riders Zero Gravity
SSX Blur ("vertical bars")
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz
Super Paper Mario
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Tomb Raider Anniversary (black bars on some TVs)
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
TMNT
Trauma Center New Blood
Victorious Boxers Revolution (4:3 cutscenes)
Wario Land: Shake It! (gameplay is 4:3 but borders provide helpful gameplay information)
Wii Fit
Wii Play
Wii Sports
Zack and Wiki

4:3 only :bomb:
Ant Bully
Bleach Shattered Blade
Cooking Mama
Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2
Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3
Eyeshield 21: The Field's Greatest Warriors
Fishing Master
Ghost Squad
Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core
Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law
House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return, The
Korinpa
London Taxi Rush Hour
Mario Party 8 (borders fill in for widescreen)
MLB Power Pros
Naruto Clash of Ninja Revolution
Naruto Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX2
Puzzle Quest (the most pixelated crap I've ever seen, don't buy!)
Rampage Total Destruction
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Samurai Warriors Katana
Sega Bass Fishing
Simple Series 5 : Block Kasuzhi (JPN)
Simple Series 6 : Wai Wai Combat (JPN)
Super Swing Golf
Super Swing Golf Season 2
Trauma Center Second Opinion
Wario Ware Smooth Moves
Wild Earth: African Safari
Williams Pinball Hall of Fame

Current Count :joystick:
16:9 Widescreen - 54
4:3 Fullscreen - 30

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just my setup or do not all 16:9 wii games display in full widescreen? No more heroes for example has thin black bars on the sides, even though the wii startup menu/etc covers the whole screen

[quote name='Sanosuke Sagara']Is it just my setup or do not all 16:9 wii games display in full widescreen? No more heroes for example has thin black bars on the sides, even though the wii startup menu/etc covers the whole screen[/QUOTE]

What you're describing there is something called underscan. It was rampant on Gamecube games, back when tube TVs were more common. Basically, developers would intentionally not render the picture near the edges of the screen where it would be covered by the bezel around the TV tube anyway. It saved a touch of processing power, I suppose, since a smaller picture was being drawn. HDTVs are manufactured in such a way that no image is ever cut off. Some sets have a way of stretching the image horizontally to eliminate this, but mine doesn't.:whistle2:(

I won't buy another Madden game until this $$$$ling little problem is gone.

[quote name='JoeyBoots']It saved a touch of processing power, I suppose, since a smaller picture was being drawn. HDTVs are manufactured in such a way that no image is ever cut off.[/quote]
You don't know what you're talking about.

I won't buy another Madden game until this $$$$ling little problem is gone.
Wow, what a racist.

[quote name='CouRageouS']It depends on your TV but it most cases it would just squish the picture into 4:3 size if the Wii itself is in 16:9 mode.

These are the borders from BBA.
117648-1.jpg

During menu navigating and results screens those aren't present. It sorta is 16:9 for the most part. Its less apparent than Mario Party's blatant 4:3. I'm leaning towards sticking BBA in 16:9.[/QUOTE]

If we're going to claim this as a 4:3 title, Wario Land: Shake It does the same thing.

Admittedly in 16:9 mode they add a few elements to the HUD on the borders but the gameplay is strictly in a 4:3 window.

[quote name='Sanosuke Sagara']Is it just my setup or do not all 16:9 wii games display in full widescreen? No more heroes for example has thin black bars on the sides, even though the wii startup menu/etc covers the whole screen[/QUOTE]

I postulate that some games do this when rendering gameplay to minimize slowdown. It depends on if the game actually shows more "stuff" or if the image is simply is cropped. For example, virtually every PS2 game that supported 16:9 was cropped (you saw less of the actual image in 16:9 than in 4:3, it was just cropped at the top and bottom to make it the widescreen ratio). The system couldn't handle the extra CPU needed if the widescreen actually showed more things on-screen.

The minor black bars on Wii games are just a trade-off. You see more things on screen, but the screen area isn't as big as it could be.

[quote name='maximumzero']but the gameplay is strictly in a 4:3 window.[/QUOTE]

Many Wii games act this way. They only render backgrounds and extraneous things in the extra area presented by widescreen. Check out a game such as Super Paper Mario. Everything from the menus to the gameplay is clearly constrained to a 4:3 screen area.

I don't mind. I'd rather have it this way than not have widescreen at all.

I agree with the other complaints that the Wii should have just internally rendered everything at 16:9 if the system is set as such, and output 4:3 games with borders. This would have required upscaling to 720p (or 1080i/p), but the added horsepower required for linear scaling on modern video hardware is almost zero. If they attempted this with 480p, it would have resulted in 4:3 games having a lower effective resolution, which would be ungood.

bread's done
Back