The Wii VC Games Thread - (5/21 Donkey Kong Country2, Blazing Lazers, Streets Rage 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lame.

I just want Zelda 2 and Punch Out, have just enough points left to snag both.

Star Fox 64 is probably cool for some people, but I just have trouble throwing out $10 for an N64 game, because I never liked the N64 outside of Zelda.

Interesting to note, Ubisoft dosen't seem involved with the TMNT game... it's copyrighted 2007 Mirage Studios. I'm wondering if Ubisoft only has rights to make games based off the movie (and possibly the new cartoon series)? And Mirage holds everything else, namely stuff tying into the old cartoon.

[quote name='evilmax17']TMNT officially becomes the second game to charge above suggested MSRP for a VC game. 600 points? Lame.[/quote]Wait, what? That's fucked up. I hope that's because of licensing costs or something, so not worth overcharging for.

Wonder where these releases came from, there's no press release yet. Weird, I guess they sent out an email to the press instead.

TMNT is worth the 600 Wii points, because it is better than a lot of the TG-16 games out there, but lets not make a habit out there. The NES also had a lot of crappier games.

Although I love Starfox 64 to death, half a points card doesn't thrill me that much to rebuy it. Pilotwings 64, or any N64 game I didn't play, fuck yes. Starfox 64, eh... Still a amazing game though and one of my favs but 1000 points...

StarFox 64?
Yeah, I'll make this my 3rd purchase.
Slowly but surely Nintendo, very slowly... you're getting my money.

Maybe Dragon's Curse. Maybe Star Fox 64. I think I'll pass on TMNT, especially because I don't want them to think I'll pay for the "overpriced" releases.

Crap TMNT too?

Man... I didn't want to buy VC games....

This is the NES game right? The one with the top down view in the city, and side-scroller action when you enter an 'area'.
Oh man, those water levels.... or the rooftop ones where you have to throw that rope thing...

I spent so many hours on my original cart of this.
Never beat it. Maybe now, with my years of gaming experience...

This is one of the better NES games. Really fleshed out for an 8-bit system.

I'm aghast that anyone is even consdiering getting that awful TMNT game for more than a normal NES game.
If it's the version I'm thinking of, I disagree with you completely.

[quote name='daroga']I'm aghast that anyone is even consdiering getting that awful TMNT game for more than a normal NES game.[/quote]
Awful? I recall it being pretty good, perhaps nostalgia has something to do with that.

cornholio.jpg
Dragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurse

[quote name='Strell']Dragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurse[/quote]

Is Timmy trapped in the well Strelly?

Yeah, I'll prob pick it up, if only for the comparison from that to Symphony of the Night.

[quote name='yukine']Awful? I recall it being pretty good, perhaps nostalgia has something to do with that.[/quote]

It is quite good.

And I may pick up the title that Strell is gushing on about.
Man, buying all 3 VC releases, what's going on?

[quote name='yukine']Awful? I recall it being pretty good, perhaps nostalgia has something to do with that.[/quote]It's nostalgia. The play control is crap and it's really not fun, just frustrating. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

[quote name='dallow']Crap TMNT too?

Man... I didn't want to buy VC games....

This is the NES game right? The one with the top down view in the city, and side-scroller action when you enter an 'area'.
Oh man, those water levels.... or the rooftop ones where you have to throw that rope thing...

I spent so many hours on my original cart of this.
Never beat it. Maybe now, with my years of gaming experience...

This is one of the better NES games. Really fleshed out for an 8-bit system.

If it's the version I'm thinking of, I disagree with you completely.[/quote]More likely you'll come to realize that you're actually worse at impossible games now than you were when you were ten. :D I don't know how anyone has any nostalgia for that game outside of the fond memories of throwing controllers. Definitely the worst of the of the NES Turtles games.

[quote name='Strell']Dragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurseDragon'sCurse[/quote]

What's the save system like? One of the YouTube videos I saw showed a password screen when entering a house so I am assuming it is a Metroid-type system. As long as there are saves besides the save state, I may be pulling the trigger on this one.

[quote name='botticus']More likely you'll come to realize that you're actually worse at impossible games now than you were when you were ten. :D I don't know how anyone has any nostalgia for that game outside of the fond memories of throwing controllers. Definitely the worst of the of the NES Turtles games.[/quote]

Yeah, I definitely don't miss "impossible games" anymore. Hehe.

After seeing that it is indeed the game I thought.
I have to disagree with everyone that is dissing this game.

I actually played it recently for a couple hours on my PSP, still as good and fun as I remember it.

It was just so varied and expansive for an NES game.
You had the 4 turtles to choose from. Multiple kinds of levels (including top down action, things get interesting when you get the Turtle van), an on going story.

You could die with one of the turtles and lose him until you rescue him in some far off level. (if you lived that long)
Oh man, I can't wait to play this on TV again.

[quote name='lebowsky']What's the save system like? One of the YouTube videos I saw showed a password screen when entering a house so I am assuming it is a Metroid-type system. As long as there are saves besides the save state, I may be pulling the trigger on this one.[/QUOTE]

Well I'm not sure about the TG16 version. In the SMS version (which is the one I owned and played) it was definitely password based.

The really funny thing about this is that if you looked in the manual, there was a page that showed the password screen and how to use it, and it included a password already in there. If you tried that password, you pretty much ended up at the very end of the game with the final form and lots of good equipment.

Kinda like the Justin Bailey code of Metroid fame.

I want to say this one is going to be PW based, but I think I read on that link I provided a while ago that maybe it used a state system, but I am not sure at all.

[quote name='botticus']Shit, I hadn't watched that before, and I'm very close to busting out laughing in my cubicle. Not good.

:rofl: Okay, had to stop at "What a shitload of fuck."[/quote]

Haha, I managed to muffle my laughs but I know the guy across from can still hear me.

Funny stuff, still love that game though. Hehe. Damn electric plants.

EDIT: I just remembered how much I hated those jumps...

Oh wait, this is the original NES TMNT game. I was thinking it was the beat-em up one.

Wow, I remember how frustrating this game was. Two main things I recall is killing bebop/rocksteady (dont remember which one) with Donatello by sitting on top of the boxes and just hitting the down+B attack, and not knowing how to use ropes to cross building gaps. Good times....?

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']Oh wait, this is the original NES TMNT game. I was thinking it was the beat-em up one.

Wow, I remember how frustrating this game was. Two main things I recall is killing bebop/rocksteady (dont remember which one) with Donatello by sitting on top of the boxes and just hitting the down+B attack, and not knowing how to use ropes to cross building gaps. Good times....?[/quote]

You have to watch that video that was posted.

Oh man, I couldn't help it and laughed out loud when he found he can just walk over it.
I'm crying here. Haha!
My office mates hate me.

[quote name='dallow']You have to watch that video that was posted.[/quote]

Hahahaha. Yea that about summed it up nicely. The moment I heard that beeping noise, it sent shivers down my spine.

Now that TMNT has been knocked by everyone, I'm unsure of purchasing it since the last time I played it was when I was 5 or 4 years old.

I'm considering Dragon's Curse, but I've never even heard of it until today.

[quote name='yukine']Now that TMNT has been knocked by everyone, I'm unsure of purchasing it since the last time I played it was when I was 5 or 4 years old.

I'm considering Dragon's Curse, but I've never even heard of it until today.[/quote]

Try before you buy. I still love it.
(coughemulatorscough)

id get star fox but i dont want to get more points. i guess that means im waiting for next week.

i cant believe the op still isnt updated!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']i cant believe the op still isnt updated!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Probably because the OPoster has a job.

EDIT: Nevermind.

[quote name='evilmax17']TMNT officially becomes the second game to charge above suggested MSRP for a VC game. 600 points? Lame.[/QUOTE]

Agreed that it's lame.

I was considering it, for nostalgia's sake, but Nintendo or whoever is in charge of the prices can lick my balls for this one. I've got a feeling TMNT is a "testing the waters" type game... can't wait to see a 600 or 700 point Super Mario Bros 3 now.

There was a reason R-Type was more points for the TG 16... because in Japan, that game is split into two games, and they had to pay two seperate prices for the full game. In the US, we got the full game from the get go, at a smaller price hike but still a bargain.

I know Japan pays 100 points more on big releases often (LttP, for one), but here, there is no precedent for that, as TMNT is hardly a game worth the extra 100 points.

And if they are doing it as a movie tie-in, they are like a week late at this point, so way to miss out on that boat.

I just got a bad feeling this 100 point price hike is going to test the waters to see what they can get away with... I hope I'm wrong.

I agree. I'm worried that Nintendo will eventually raise all of the standard prices. They have sold quite a bit of VC games and they probably think that they can get away with it. Unfortunately, I won't pay a penny more than the prices now and I could care less how popular or fun they are. Overpricing these games makes me want to bust out some emulation on my laptop just like old times. I'll just wait and see what happens...

EDIT: Starfox wasn't a bad deal for $10 though. I'm enjoying it, but there goes another big chunk of my space.

I just downloaded Star Fox 64 and I was going to get TMNT but because it was 600 I'll have to wait (only had 1500 points).

Star Fox 64, my favorite game of all time, is really cleaned up for the VC games as all the rest are. I didn't get to play it much (just Corneria) but I noticed it was a lot better like the other N64 VC games.

I too will also be getting TMNT when i increase my Wii Points later and I am also disappointed by the 600points it is asking for. Although I agree entirely with everyone about the difficulty, the purchase is influenced by nostalgia as it was my first video game EVER.

[quote name='Roufuss']
I just got a bad feeling this 100 point price hike is going to test the waters to see what they can get away with... I hope I'm wrong.[/quote]I have to assume that it's passing additional licensing costs down to us. Which sucks, but at least has some reasoning behind it. TMNT would be a dumb game to use as a test for something like this - you'd want to do it on something like the original Super Mario Bros. which people will be a lot more inclined to buy anyway.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']id get star fox but i dont want to get more points. i guess that means im waiting for next week.

i cant believe the op still isnt updated!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Congrats, I have now blocked you. Shouldn't you be in junior high right now? Mom let you stay home with a tummy ache?

[quote name='gizmogc']Congrats, I have now blocked you. Shouldn't you be in junior high right now? Mom let you stay home with a tummy ache?[/quote]

Man I miss those days kinda, ''I dont feel good mom'' 'okay stay home'... especially since all I do now is work :(

anyways, best thing ever was getting all those damned medals in StarFox back in the day. I'd stay up till 1am-2am trying that shit (late for being 12 yrs old). :bomb:

That was the funniest videogame review I have seen. I don't even remember this Turtles game and definately wont get it.

TMNT was tough as nails and although some of the control was off, as a challenge, the game was great.

The very first part of the game is easy because they have sewers with pizza that respawns, but later on, you have to fight through a crapload of enemies through warehouses ( forwards and backwards ) in order to get health/pizza and by the time you return to the exit of the warehouse, you've lost as much energy as you had when you entered the warehouse.

Nevertheless, the Dam level is legendary and rightfully so. Unless you had the button pressing skills of an angel, it was impossible to get through that level unscathed. Talk about pressure..

[quote name='botticus']I have to assume that it's passing additional licensing costs down to us. Which sucks, but at least has some reasoning behind it. TMNT would be a dumb game to use as a test for something like this - you'd want to do it on something like the original Super Mario Bros. which people will be a lot more inclined to buy anyway.[/QUOTE]

I'm inclined to think it's because of the movie, that the movie has done these huge sales when it came out, and the uber popularity of that means they are going to now test the waters with a small price increase.

Look at all the people saying "Well, it's only 600 points, and it's TMNT, I'll buy it!". Those same people would probably pay 700 and 800 for Super Mario Bros 3, because "Hell, it's SMB 3!".

I think Nintendo would rather test the waters on a throwaway game then one of their own... if this project goes bad, they can blame someone else. If it goes good, well, prepare to start paying higher prices.

I really doubt it was a licensing issue at all, as the TMNT game for XBL was only 400 points, which amounts to $5. And even so, you mean to tell me they (I have to assume Konami) are just going to eat the licensing costs there and make us pay $1 more on the VC? That's kind of silly.

If Nintendo still sees strong sales of TMNT at 600 points, you better believe they are going to start charging more for high profile games because if the people bought TMNT for 600, they sure as hell will any of the big name Nintendo games. This could be the start of a very slippery downhill slope.

[quote name='Action Jacktion']Does the rumble feature work in Star Fox 64 if you use a GameCube controller?[/QUOTE]

Fairly sure no VC game supports rumble.

[quote name='Roufuss']I'm inclined to think it's because of the movie, that the movie has done these huge sales when it came out, and the uber popularity of that means they are going to now test the waters with a small price increase.

Look at all the people saying "Well, it's only 600 points, and it's TMNT, I'll buy it!". Those same people would probably pay 700 and 800 for Super Mario Bros 3, because "Hell, it's SMB 3!".

I think Nintendo would rather test the waters on a throwaway game then one of their own... if this project goes bad, they can blame someone else. If it goes good, well, prepare to start paying higher prices.

I really doubt it was a licensing issue at all, as the TMNT game for XBL was only 400 points, which amounts to $5. And even so, you mean to tell me they (I have to assume Konami) are just going to eat the licensing costs there and make us pay $1 more on the VC? That's kind of silly.

If Nintendo still sees strong sales of TMNT at 600 points, you better believe they are going to start charging more for high profile games because if the people bought TMNT for 600, they sure as hell will any of the big name Nintendo games. This could be the start of a very slippery downhill slope.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how Nintendo can charge higher prices for VC games. It's a ripoff with the prices they have now so I can't imagine the backlash if the prices go up.

I'm done buying VC games too unless it is a classic N64 game that I've never played like OOT or an Arcade quality SNK game, and even then I still have a hard time paying $10. VC games should cost no more than $3 for nes games, $5 for snes, genesis and tg16 games and $8 for N64 and maybe $10 for some newer arcade perfect games like Samurai showdown or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back