The Wii VC Games Thread - (5/21 Donkey Kong Country2, Blazing Lazers, Streets Rage 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Star Fox 64, Mario Kart 64, Mario 64, Toejam and Earl, Kirby's Adventure, Beyond Oasis, and Castlevania IV.[/QUOTE]

What he / she said.

[quote name='Roufuss']According to the Wiki, Capcom has confirmed Ghouls and Ghosts for the Genesis... this is our first third party game for the Sega Genesis!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait until Konami throws us Contra Hard Corps and Castlevania Bloodlines.[/quote]
You've been behind on VC news lately. :lol: ;) That was confirmed two months ago for PSN, XBLA, and VC.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You've been behind on VC news lately. :lol: ;) That was confirmed two months ago for PSN, XBLA, and VC.[/QUOTE]

Haha, seriously? I just remember the SNES game getting confirmed for all the systems, but never the Genesis one. The wiki never had it up until recently, either.

I just know I was lamenting the fact we had still yet to see any third party games on the Genesis, as others were too.

This opens the door to a ton of awesome Genesis third party games.

I can't wait!

A note to anyone who downloaded Gradius 3 and hasn't figured this out on their own yet:

If you're playing 2 player, and your friend goes on a long tear, your wiimote WILL go to sleep. You WILL NOT realize until your turn starts and you can't figure out why your classic controller isn't responding. You have to wake up your wiimote, since pushing buttons on the classic controller DOESN'T.

I really, really wish that the wii controller wouldn't go to sleep when you're in the middle of a turn based game. In a game like Gradius 3, that REALLY sucks.

[quote name='varsitygamer']A note to anyone who downloaded Gradius 3 and hasn't figured this out on their own yet:

If you're playing 2 player, and your friend goes on a long tear, your wiimote WILL go to sleep. You WILL NOT realize until your turn starts and you can't figure out why your classic controller isn't responding. You have to wake up your wiimote, since pushing buttons on the classic controller DOESN'T.

I really, really wish that the wii controller wouldn't go to sleep when you're in the middle of a turn based game. In a game like Gradius 3, that REALLY sucks.[/QUOTE]

Can't you just push a button or two to keep it awake?

[quote name='ZForce915']Can't you just push a button or two to keep it awake?[/QUOTE]

Certainly, but until you do you are dead in the water and in a game like Gradius 3 thats likely to mean that its no longer your turn.

WII-KLY UPDATE: THREE NEW CLASSIC GAMES ANNOUNCED FOR WII SHOP CHANNEL

April 30, 2007

Vampires and ninjas and Shockmen, oh my! This week the Wii Shop Channel takes a trip into the world of ghoulish creatures, mystical curses and professorial abductions. See if you can remember which of these games sparked the whip-carrying craze of the late-'80s! For the best retro gaming around, it's time to pay a visit to the red-hot Wii™ video game system's Wii Shop Channel.

The three new classic games go live at 9 a.m. Pacific time. Nintendo adds new games to the channel every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

Castlevania® (NES®, 1 player, 500 Wii Points): Step into the shadows of the deadliest dwelling on Earth. You've arrived at Castlevania, and you're here on business: to destroy the curse of the Evil Count, once and for all. Make your way through six monstrous floors filled with bats, ghosts, zombies and every kind of ghoulish creature you can imagine. Use the legendary whip Vampire Killer and a host of deadly weapons to battle your way to Dracula's chamber and the ultimate duel of good vs. evil.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja™ (Super NES®, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points): In The Legend of The Mystical Ninja, take control of Kid Ying and Dr. Yang in an action adventure through feudal Japan. A curse has stricken the village of Horo-Horo, and its beloved princess has vanished. Together Kid Ying, a daring young mystical ninja, and Dr. Yang, master of the invincible spirit transformation, must overcome 10 levels of the Dragonbeast to save Princess Yuki. Each stage contains intense 3-D and 2-D zones where the duo must perform dozens of attack moves and solve magical problems and puzzles before advancing. Battle humorous enemies like the Carp Meister, who stuns victims with poisonous fighting fish, Tanaka-U-Out, a knockout artist who wallops opponents with a bone-crushing hammer, and the Sumo Tag Team, kings of the unbeatable belly-buster crunch. Collect coins to buy new equipment and to receive clues, spend some time playing minigames in the arcade or try your luck and increase your fortune at the Quiz House and Horse Races.

Shockman (TurboGrafx16, 1-2 players, 600 Wii Points): It's been two years since Arnold and Sonya were made into Shockmen. A message from the professor to return to their bodies has them head to his laboratory, but they are ambushed by a mysterious enemy along the way. After narrowly defeating the enemy, they catch a TV news flash announcing the Ryo Empire invasion. They find that the professor has been abducted and set out to rescue him. Shockman is a side-view action shooter that has eight stages, including Action Stages, where you jump and use special techniques, and side-scrolling Shooting Stages. This game expands on the well-paced story from the previous version and contains cooperative elements like shared life and a powerful Team Shockbeam that can be used during two-player simultaneous play.

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

While I'm happy about Castlevania (and will download it ASAP), where the fuck is Zelda 2?!?

I might get Mystical Ninja if I have enough points... I never played it but always wanted to.

[quote name='daroga']No Zelda 2, eh? Interesting.

I'd love to attend the meetings that plan these releases.[/QUOTE]

I mean, the damn thing was in the Nintendo Power for last month with an April release!

I'm sick of all these damn TG 16 games, myself. Most of them just seem there to fill up space.

Except, WOW, Wikipedia is now listing Neutopia for TG 16 with a Summer 2007 release! That is probably the only TG 16 game I've actually heard people talking about before, supposed to be a good Zelda clone.

Confirmation of Neutopia:

NP: What is the release schedule looking like for the Virtual Console over the next few months? How many titles do you expect will be available by the end of the year?
Lee: You'll definitely see some fan faves in there. The sequel to Bonk just became available, and you can be sure we'll find a way to bring the impossible to find 3rd version to the US too. Neutopia, which is an amazing game in the vein of Zelda is coming as well sometime in the summer. And one of the most requested shooters, Blazing Lazers is about to hit you upside the face. You can expect to see at least 2-4 new games each month. That's a very hefty schedule, but we're doing our best to commit to it. We indicated before that we were shooting for at least 40 games out on the Turbo this year. I think we are pretty darn close.

http://www.nintendoplayers.com/feature.php?featureID=29&page=3

Pic of Neutopia there too.

NP: Some of the TurboGrafx games on the Virtual Console were developed by third-parties. Have other publishers and developers been cooperative in making their games available?
Lee: If they still exist! You'd be surprised to see how many publishers from nearly 15 years ago aren't around any more. For the most part, other publishers have been open to bringing their games back on the VC.

I've also got a feeling we will see Streets of Rage 2, Shining in the Darkness, Toejam and Earl 2, and Kid Chameleon this month, since the press release said they were coming soon.

I remember importing Mystical Ninja (I was living in Australia at the time) but for the life of me I can't remember too much about it. Can someone refresh my memory.

[quote name='mykevermin']Castlevania I? Y'alls gonna get schooled in what a hard-as-fuck game really is.

Call me up when Dracula's Curse hits.[/quote]

I remember beating it as a kid, and I still remember how damn hard it was. I also remember how disappointed I was at the ending. There is no way in hell I am going to put myself through that again.

That being said, along with beating Ninja Gaiden (NES), it is one of games I can proudly say I fought through all of the bullshit to beat.

For those interested in what is going on with the VC in Japan:

Last week, they got:

- Kirby's Dream Course (SNES)
- 3 Japanese Genesis games (one of which is Pulseman)
- Gradius 2 (NES)

On May 1st, Japan is getting this:

Neutopia TG-16
Exerion NES (Some shitty shmup by Jaleco)
Super Mario Bros 2 NES (Lost Levels)

For the rest of the month, Japan is getting:

F-Zero X N64 (WOW!!)
The 4 Genesis games I talked about earlier (Shining in the Darkness is 700 points for them)
Bonk 3
Air Zonk
Other random stuff

I never played F-Zero X, cool to see that is the next N64 game we'll probably get.

[quote name='natureboy46']I remember importing Mystical Ninja (I was living in Australia at the time) but for the life of me I can't remember too much about it. Can someone refresh my memory.[/QUOTE]

It's like a goofy beat-em-up with some slight RPG elements, much like River City Ransom. The difference is that in RCR, the entire game world is connected, so you can go to any part of the game at any time.

In Mystical Ninja, there are "levels" that are built like the RCR world. You can go to a lot of different screens to beat up enemies. You can collect cash, which you then use to play mini games, buy better weapons and armor, etc. Ultimately you go fight a boss in the stage and move on to a new level.

Some of the levels are built differently from each other. For example, the first level is all "side scrolling." Being that this is a beat-em-up, part of the game lets you move around on a screen, with some depth (i.e., not like the original Mario Bros, where there's only one plane per screen you move left to right on). In MN, if you press up, you'll move up on the ground, and if you press down, you move downward, etc. So it's like a stage you can move around on.

However, one level might have you running "upward" the whole time (I think you are assaulting a castle in that stage).

There are other parts that are pure platformer 2D.

Each level is made up of these types of things.

At any rate, it's incredibly fun. You go to a circus at one point, and there's all sorts of mini games you can play, including the first level of Gradius.

It's also very humorous. You'll attack some enemies and knock their clothes off, and they die of embarassment.

It's all 2 player co-op, which is hilariously fun.

Anyway, incredible game. Lots of depth and it'll keep you busy for a while. Plus it's two player, which in this case is very fun.

[quote name='gizmogc']Japan is getting Neutopia? :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

We'll see it in May, June at the very latest. I'm pretty sure May counts as Summer 2007!

I can't wait, it'll be the first TG-16 game I grab based on all the hype I've read about it over the years.

Yea, I think I have 1300 points left, at which point I'll get both Castlevania and Mystical Ninja.

Vectorman isn't rumored... it's been confirmed by Sega.

Ninja Gaiden already came out in Japan ;)

Air Zonk and Bonk 3 are coming in May to Japan, April is over :lol:

Final Fight and Kirby's Dream Course came out in Japan.

Zelda 2 is not coming in April :(

Ah, thanks for that...yeah, I remember it now. Really quirky game.

I think I'll pick it up (my SNES is long gone) as the 2-player mode is particularly interesting now that my wife is playing more and more games (we had to get a second DS when Puzzle Quest came out).

[quote name='Strell']It's like a goofy beat-em-up with some slight RPG elements, much like River City Ransom. The difference is that in RCR, the entire game world is connected, so you can go to any part of the game at any time.

In Mystical Ninja, there are "levels" that are built like the RCR world. You can go to a lot of different screens to beat up enemies. You can collect cash, which you then use to play mini games, buy better weapons and armor, etc. Ultimately you go fight a boss in the stage and move on to a new level.

Some of the levels are built differently from each other. For example, the first level is all "side scrolling." Being that this is a beat-em-up, part of the game lets you move around on a screen, with some depth (i.e., not like the original Mario Bros, where there's only one plane per screen you move left to right on). In MN, if you press up, you'll move up on the ground, and if you press down, you move downward, etc. So it's like a stage you can move around on.

However, one level might have you running "upward" the whole time (I think you are assaulting a castle in that stage).

At any rate, it's incredibly fun. You go to a circus at one point, and there's all sorts of mini games you can play, including the first level of Gradius.

It's also very humorous. You'll attack some enemies and knock their clothes off, and they die of embarassment.

Anyway, incredible game. Lots of depth and it'll keep you busy for a while. Plus it's two player, which in this case is very fun.[/QUOTE]

yay mystical ninja! i'll be getting that when i get home.

anyone got a $15 off $100 code for CC for me? (yes im gonna post that ? in every thing i do)

[quote name='Roufuss']For those interested in what is going on with the VC in Japan:

Last week, they got:

- Kirby's Dream Course (SNES)[/QUOTE]
OH MY GOD YES.

Nintendo *needs* to bring this out here as soon as possible! It's one of my absolute favorite SNES games!

[quote name='Strell']It's like a goofy beat-em-up with some slight RPG elements, much like River City Ransom. The difference is that in RCR, the entire game world is connected, so you can go to any part of the game at any time.

Anyway, incredible game. Lots of depth and it'll keep you busy for a while. Plus it's two player, which in this case is very fun.[/quote]

damn, I read ALL of that and I'm glad I did, that game was a blur to me and now I'll be purchasing it, thanks Nigger

I haven't bought a VC game for ages... I might get DKC eventually. But really I'm just waiting for Paper Mario or, more importantly, SMRPG.

I hate blind buying on old games.

I'm moving on-campus (no wireless) this week, so I may not be able to dl games for a year+, so I downloaded Starfox 64 and Ocarina of Time with my last points.

[quote name='lordwow']I'm moving on-campus (no wireless) this week, so I may not be able to dl games for a year+, so I downloaded Starfox 64 and Ocarina of Time with my last points.[/quote]

Buy the adapter.

[quote name='dallow']Buy the adapter.[/QUOTE]

Yep... $25 from Nintendo, or $30 from Best Buy ($25 with GGC or other coupons).

I'm contemplating buying the LAN adapter for the last two months I'm in Florida, since the Wifi Adapter is GARBAGE. I can't even get the Wii to connect today :cry:

mykevermin wasn't kidding when he said castlevania was a damn fucking hard game.

barely beat up a BAT at the end of stage 1 or whatever.

[quote name='tiredfornow']mykevermin wasn't kidding when he said castlevania was a damn fucking hard game.

barely beat up a BAT at the end of stage 1 or whatever.[/QUOTE]

Yea... that's the Castlevania I remember. It makes the GBA / DS ones look like kids games.

The later stages of Super Castlevania IV are hard as hell too.

[quote name='seanr1221']F-Zero X? DAMN YOU JAPAN! :bomb:[/quote]

You know at first I got excited about this, too. But then I realized that instead of paying $10 to play the dated N64 version on the VC, I could just as easily stop by Gamestop and pick up F-Zero GX for $6. See how the pricing scheme breaks down, Nintendo?

[quote name='catapult37']You know at first I got excited about this, too. But then I realized that instead of paying $10 to play the dated N64 version on the VC, I could just as easily stop by Gamestop and pick up F-Zero GX for $6. See how the pricing scheme breaks down, Nintendo?[/quote]

And do you see by paying tax, along with the gas and time it takes to drive up there and see IF they have a copy, that saving $4 isn't a big deal?

[quote name='mtxbass1']And do you see by paying tax, along with the gas and time it takes to drive up there and see IF they have a copy, that saving $4 isn't a big deal?[/QUOTE]

I think you miss the fact that F-Zero GX is the Game Cube (and very, very superior) version. This coming from a guy who loved F-Zero X as well.

Goemon get!

Did anyone get Mystical Ninja? How do you find it? (I'm already a fan, just want to hear what people think nowadays)

I know some people will piss on me for this, but I kinda wish they retranslated MN. Then again, this is the VC we're talking about.

I highly recommend picking up Mystical Ninja, I've never played it before... it's a lot of fun!

I do have a question though, how do you save!?

[quote name='daroga']Two more titles popped up on the ESRB stie. Ninja Giaden we've heard about coming elsewhere I believe, but TMNT II: The Arcade Game is new to me. Despite buying the actual arcade game on the 360, I'm likely to pick up Turtles again.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=17203[/QUOTE]

It's awesome news to me because it means the very awesome TMNT 3 will definitely be coming.

[quote name='daroga']Two more titles popped up on the ESRB stie. Ninja Giaden we've heard about coming elsewhere I believe, but TMNT II: The Arcade Game is new to me. Despite buying the actual arcade game on the 360, I'm likely to pick up Turtles again.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=17203[/QUOTE]

Ninja Gaiden is a good one. Just a bitch at the end. :p Took me forever to clear the last stages.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=17203[/quote]

Yeah, but the question is whether it will be $6.00 again instead of $5.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back