The Wii's popularity pisses me off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='MarioColbert']What game are you guys talking about?
[/QUOTE]

Kameo. It is a good game, especially considering it was a launch title for the 360. It can be had nice and cheap now and I like it more than most of the rest of the 360 lineup. But it pales in comparison to Mario Galaxy ;).

I'm on the verge of cracking open my copy of Mass Effect and jumping, for the first time, into a "mainstream M-rated hardcore" type game (also have Bioshock sitting here tempting me). I'll have to see if it lives up to the hype but, going in, I'm not optimistic (which will probably skew my experience which is one reason I'm hesitant). I much prefer the Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Lego Star Wars/Jak & Daxter platforming/adventure type games and I don't think they Wii will disappoint in that regard. My other favorite genre is RPGs, which the PS2, of course, dominated last gen and then quirky stuff like Katamari (again, PS2, though the 360 having it is nice). I'm hoping with the huge marketshare that the Wii will get it's share this gen, but I must admit I like the occasional eye candy as well and Blue Dragon was a nice surprise for me on the 360 (and I will play Eternal Sonata once it drops). The Wii in combination with the 360's slight penetration into the RPG/Japanese quirky game market should keep me happy until at least another price drop on the PS3 ;).

I still regret stopping playing Kameo. I still own it but just dont see my self going back to it sadly. I think I got like 3 or four elemental warriors, the last one i got was the boulder dude.

There are many things that annoy me, such as people buying the same stupid football game every year just because the stupid names changed...but I generally keep quiet about it because what's the point....it doesn't change anyone's opinion and just alienates them.

[quote name='DJSteel']wtf are you talking about? how can you determine what games are more hardcore than others??? Please help me understand the direct/less direct idea with a parallel..[/QUOTE]

Hardcore Gamer (adj.) 1. A videogame player characterized by the hyperbolic, prosthelytizing reverence he displays for a videogame system or game. 2. (n) title of aspiration, or badge of honor giving (hardcore gamer) immediate expert status of the videogame industry as a whole.

It really doesn't have anything to do with the games.

I think that is a decent definition of a hardcore gamer, but I also think that some games can be more hardcore than others.

For instance I think it can be said objectively that Wii sports are not hardcore games. On the other hand there are some games that are very very challenging, The first Ninja Gaiden on Xbox comes to mind for me personally. Now this game isn't hardcore b/c Ryu Hyabusa kicks major ass, although thats a factor; it's more harcore than Wii Sports because it is more challenging, and a much deeper game. Surely TP and MP Corruption are more hardcore than some other games on the Wii. TP wasn't really that challenging per se, though it was a very long game, so maybe the difficulty doesn't play as big of a role as the length of the game does. I've never played it but Fire Emblem games have always seemed pretty hardcore to me because of the genre and the type of gamers that play it, so maybe the types of gamers (I know, I know, it's begging for generalizations and stereotypes) have something to do with whether an actual game itself is "hardcore."

Happy Friday!

But a hardcore gamer can take Wii Sports, play it 5-8 hours a day, get gold medals/pro status/achievements and then brag about it incessantly on an internet message board.

Games are just games. They may be targeted for the hardcore audience, but they can be played by anyone.

I should expand my definition to include 3. (adj.) a derogatory term ascribed to a videogame player who spends more time playing videogames than making a living. (syn: Bum)

[quote name='PhoenixT']honestly I see this being a very good thing for the market as a whole. I mean look at what the IPod did for the MP3 player market. That market went from mostly techno savvy people to almost everyone on the friggin planet. Nintendo has taken a few pages from their book and put gaming more into the limelight. By this I mean the way they advertise it showing people of all ages playing and having fun. The way they split it down to an affordable system with enough periphrials to give people as much or as little of the "Wii Experience" as they want.[/quote]
POWIE! The iPod did a great deal to further digital music for the general public. MP3's had existed since 1996, but your grandmother probably didn't know about them until 2002-2003. This is a positive thing, as the move towards purely digital distro is being paved in public, rather than in private by a music industy that is used to selling everyone their album collection again when there's a new format. I can see the Wii doing something very similar to those who are cynical about games.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Me too. Would love a quality platformer with nice 720p graphics as it's one of my favorite genres. :drool:

And I'd like to see some FPS games with online to rival that of Orange Box and Halo 3 that have nice Wiimote controls. The new Medal of Honor sounds like a step in the right direction, but not quite there yet.[/quote]
Unfortunately, N+ is probably the closest thing the XBOX is going to get to a showstopper platformer... too bad they are stick figures... and that it's already a free flash game that I play on my HDTV.

I can't see FPS games getting that tight for the Wii. Nearly all of them leave me with ridiculously sore elbows and shoulders. Maybe the zapper will help.

p.s. Mass Effect is pretty amazing. There are some design flaws and balance issues, but you probably won't care. The game does a pretty amazing job of sucking you in.

[quote name='WeLoveDaisuke']
Unfortunately, N+ is probably the closest thing the XBOX is going to get to a showstopper platformer... too bad they are stick figures... and that it's already a free flash game that I play on my HDTV.
[/quote]

Yeah. The PS3 will probably end up being THE system for platformers just like the PS2 was. At least should have Ratchet, Sly Cooper and Jak and Daxter games as time goes on.

I think MS is getting a Banjo-Kazooie game from Rare, that could be good.

[quote name='WeLoveDaisuke']
I can't see FPS games getting that tight for the Wii. Nearly all of them leave me with ridiculously sore elbows and shoulders. Maybe the zapper will help.[/quote]

Zapper won't help, since you need the Nunchuck in your other hand. But I agree, I doubt the Wii will ever have an FPS to rival the best on the 360--Metroid Prime aside. And that's as much adventure as shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back