The Witcher 2 (PC-Download) $23.99 at Amazon

Looks like a great price especially with the update on its way but I still haven't finished the first one and I heard #2 is pretty difficult so what you guys think?

Hear you pretty much gotta have a super computer to run this thing, similar to Crysis. Thankfully it is coming to OnLive, I really hope it comes to the PS3 eventually tho.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Hear you pretty much gotta have a super computer to run this thing, similar to Crysis. Thankfully it is coming to OnLive, I really hope it comes to the PS3 eventually tho.[/QUOTE]

I know it's coming to X360 next year so I assume it's coming to PS3 down the line. I'm definitely going to play this sometime in the next year.

GR8 find. However I think the price will go down by the end of this year (probably $15) so I say wait unless if you want the game ASAP.

I have been wanting this game since it came out. I really want the physical copy, for all the goodies it comes with, but for $24, I may have to bite, since Target won't drop the physical copy under $40, and Amazon is almost the same price.

[quote name='SiMMENS']Looks like a great price especially with the update on its way but I still haven't finished the first one and I heard #2 is pretty difficult so what you guys think?[/QUOTE]

You can adjust the difficulty. The 2.0 update arrives next week on the 29th and also adds a better tutorial among other things.

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/the_witcher_2_newsletter

This is a freaking awesome deal. Jump on it, folks!

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']I know it's coming to X360 next year so I assume it's coming to PS3 down the line. I'm definitely going to play this sometime in the next year.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, it has yet to be announced for the PS3.

It isn't too terribly difficult once you get the hang of it. But the super computer comment kind of rings true. I had to lower the resolution and turn the settings down to medium to get a steady 30 fps. I can run most games fine at 1920x1080 with high settings but not this.

[quote name='Thongsy']It isn't too terribly difficult once you get the hang of it. But the super computer comment kind of rings true. I had to lower the resolution and turn the settings down to medium to get a steady 30 fps. I can run most games fine at 1920x1080 with high settings but not this.[/QUOTE]

The game looks fine at those settings. The real defining aspect to if the settings are good to your liking is if the framerate is steady. I get anywhere between 50-60 with most things maxed. But will occasionally get a dip below 20-30 fps and it is annoying and jarring.

Some people prefer to play the game at a locked framerate just to keep the experience fluid.

The difficulty is not that bad once you get the hang of it and level up some. It look awesome in 1080P on a 40" TV with high setting if your computer can handle it. I would highly recommend the physical copy since it have the guide and some extra stuff for $34.96 if there a frys around or if financially permitted.

[quote name='sthaznpride17']The Witcher 2 on Amazon Digital Download for $23.99. Link: http://www.amazon.com/Witcher-Assas...H6FK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1316741222&sr=8-2[/QUOTE]

Doing my job for me? Why thank you very much :)

Seriously though, as you can imagine, the sheer volume of great prices we have regularly on Amazon makes it difficult for me to get every one of them out to you guys...I REALLY appreciate posts like this that take the initiative to do so for the ones I miss.

That being said, I'll add this to the mega thread.

Your rock man.

[quote name='NeoGutsman']No, it's not a Steamworks game.[/QUOTE]

If anyone is super into Steam achievements, the Steam version has them and they have it on sale right now for $29.99. FYI in case the achievements and play time tracking is worth the extra $6.

Buy.

This.

Game.

You literally have no idea what you're missing. Quit playing your 3Ds, quit playing lame console games, and get Witcher 2. Witcher 2 is by far the best game I have played in the last forever years. I beat Witcher 1 after playing about 1 hour of Witcher 2, went back to Witcher 2, and good God the game is perfect.

[quote name='NeoGutsman']No, it's not a Steamworks game.[/QUOTE]
And thank god. They also removed the DRM that their publisher forced upon them the first week it was out. It's a great game, not quite as good as the first, but still enjoyable (Act II and beyond are pretty meh in terms of quests). I'd personally wait for a better price on retail, since I'm sure this will be lower during BF (the retail copy is awesome).

[quote name='Thongsy']It isn't too terribly difficult once you get the hang of it. But the super computer comment kind of rings true. I had to lower the resolution and turn the settings down to medium to get a steady 30 fps. I can run most games fine at 1920x1080 with high settings but not this.[/QUOTE]What kind of system do you have, if I might ask?

System requirements from the site:
Minimum requirements:

Processor: Core 2Duo 2.2 GHz or dual core AMD 2.5 GHz
RAM: 1 GB Windows XP, 2 GB Windows Vista/7
Graphics: GeForce 8800 512 MB or Radeon (HD3850 512 MB)
HDD Space: 16 GB
Recommended requirements:

Processor: Quad Core Intel or AMD
RAM: 3 GB Windows XP, 4 GB Windows Vista/7
Graphics: GeForce 260 1 GB or (HD4850 1 GB)

Since I have a Q9550S 2.83Ghz quad-core CPU, 8GB of RAM and a GTX560Ti 1GB video card, I assumed I shouldn't have much issue to hit 30fps with all the eye candy turned on.

^ you won't have much issues running it with a 560 Ti, it's the uber sampling that kills it. I imagine 2.0 will have further stability fixes.

[quote name='aznguyen316']^ you won't have much issues running it with a 560 Ti, it's the uber sampling that kills it.[/quote]
Agreed.
Speaking from experience here w/ my PC.

Uber-sampling ON = murderous on my PC -> i7 950; GF 560 Ti; Win 7; 8 GB RAM.
With it off, it's perfectly fine.

I imagine 2.0 will have further stability fixes.
I hope so.

Yes, make sure you have a pretty beefy system to run this game. If you're hovering near the minimum I wouldn't even bother unless you want to play at 1024x768 :p

Pretty much the first game to come out in a long while that has given my system a beat down even at the lowest settings with all extra effects turned off and put me in a realization that I'm long overdue for an upgrade.

My 4 year old 8800GT and e8400 @ 3.6GHz isn't cutting it anymore at my LCD's 1920x1080 native. In a good way, the crop of console ports to the PC has really benefited my system's gaming lifespan.

[quote name='mickleohb']I think I'll wait until I beat Witcher 1... if that ever happens...[/QUOTE]
in the same boat I suppose, I seem to marathon a bit of it every few months.

Only two things stopping me from getting this;

Physical items in the retail copy (artbook, map, etc) and the 360 version coming next year.

If only Amazon was offering the boxed version for that price.

[quote name='shrike4242']What kind of system do you have, if I might ask?

System requirements from the site:
Minimum requirements:

Processor: Core 2Duo 2.2 GHz or dual core AMD 2.5 GHz
RAM: 1 GB Windows XP, 2 GB Windows Vista/7
Graphics: GeForce 8800 512 MB or Radeon (HD3850 512 MB)
Recommended requirements:

Processor: Quad Core Intel or AMD
RAM: 3 GB Windows XP, 4 GB Windows Vista/7
Graphics: GeForce 260 1 GB or (HD4850 1 GB)

Since I have a Q9550S 2.83Ghz quad-core CPU, 8GB of RAM and a GTX560Ti 1GB video card, I assumed I shouldn't have much issue to hit 30fps with all the eye candy turned on.[/QUOTE]

My system is two years old now, with a graphics card upgrade last year.

CPU: Quad core AMD 940
GPU: GTX 460 768 mb
RAM: 4 GB

Now don't get me wrong, I could run it at high at 1920x1080 but framerates were low, averaging around 20-22 fps. I lowered settings to medium and resolution to 1600x900 and average around 38-44 fps. I'm sure the graphics card is what held me back. Even with the lowered settings the game still looked great. With your specs you should have no problems running it with all the eye candy.

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']Doing my job for me? Why thank you very much :)

Seriously though, as you can imagine, the sheer volume of great prices we have regularly on Amazon makes it difficult for me to get every one of them out to you guys...I REALLY appreciate posts like this that take the initiative to do so for the ones I miss.

That being said, I'll add this to the mega thread.

Your rock man.[/QUOTE]

Tony, do you play the games you promote?

I ask because a gamer would know that TW2 for $24 is a really competitive deal for a relatively new game. Cheaper than the recent TW2 sales on Steam and D2D. Cheapest price I've seen yet.

As opposed to the junkware that fills the Amazon thread. Not trying to be rude, but the fact that you "missed" the TW2 sale is... disappointing.

[quote name='gcorlett']
I ask because a gamer would know that TW2 for $24 is a really competitive deal for a relatively new game. Cheaper than the recent TW2 sales on Steam and D2D. Cheapest price I've seen yet.
[/QUOTE]
The Amazon download price for $24 is the best price I've seen for TW2, as well.

I pre-ordered the game from GOG, A LONG time ago.
Easily worth the $24.

Looking forward to Patch 2.0 next week.

[quote name='gcorlett']Tony, do you play the games you promote?

As opposed to the junkware that fills the Amazon thread. Not trying to be rude, but the fact that you "missed" the TW2 sale is... disappointing.[/QUOTE]

Great question Gcorlett, I do play the games I promote. If you look at the Amazon thread I think you'll see quite a few deals that most people would have a really difficult time classifying as junkware...20% off new games like Dead Island, Deus Ex, Warhammer 40k Spacemarine (all games which I am playing and loving).

As for what I imagine you're referring to as junkware...I'll let your fellow CAGs do the speaking for me:

[quote name='TheBomb69']Sacred Gold for $2.99 is a steal.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='immanewb']

Lastly: Disciples II for $1.99.. GET ETTT!! GET ETT NAOOO!!
Seriously. If you like turn-based strategy fantasy game, you can't go wrong; especially at that price. :D[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TheBomb69']Sacred Gold for $2.99 is a steal.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='wageslave']Picked up Sacred Gold. At first I thought that these were all real time strategy or turn based strategy games but I am glad I looked closer. I had a hankering for a diablo II style hack and loot fest and Sacred looks like it will hit the spot. Thanks Tony.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='fyrtoes']Yesterday 10Am: wth is this Disciples II? Its an isometric RPG? I could give it a shot for 1.99. How bad could it be

Today 3AM: I HAVE TO RECRUIT MULTIPLE DISPOSABLE LEADERS IN A ROW IN ORDER TO PLOW THE MOVING PARTY AND THE DEFENSIVE PARTY OF THAT LAST CITY. GOOD THING I HAVE 9999 GOLD.

Disciples II is amazing and addictive. Reminds me a lot of civilization 3, and galactic civilization 1 & 2[/QUOTE]

[quote name='unclenebber']TDU2 is an awesome game. I look at it as a less arcade and more detailed version of Burnout Paradise. Buy it if that intrigues you.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='hal']Wow - now that's a deal![/QUOTE]

[quote name='argyle']$4?? Sold! :D[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Decker']I already had this game from a 7-11 promotion, but it was a direct download from Atari without a system to redownload and I wiped my hard drive with a Windows install recently. It's easier for me to pay $4 than try to retrieve my back up copy off an external HDD. You've made a sale, Amazon. Keep up the good work.
BTW : It's playable with a 360 controller, thank God.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='solaris389']Just installed it on my daughter's PC, couldn't believe it was $3.99 when I went back to buy it. We had a busy couple of days... But she reminded me about putting TDU2 on her PC this afternoon.

Awesome deal.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='LakeShow16']Hey guys,

Quick question about TDU2, because for $4 i can't pass it up.
My graphics card at the moment is horrible, and apparently cannot run TDU2 at all. Will I have any trouble installing the game? I want to buy it now then get a new video card later.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mtxbass1']Picked up TDU2. Thanks OP. This is my first amazon digital download like this.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MysterD']Alright, I'm joining the TDU2 club here.
I'm in. :)
Now downloading...[/QUOTE]

There was also a ton of positive feedback around Jagged Alliance, which I'm also playing, have played, and loved.

In regards to The Witcher deal specifically, we currently do a ton of price matching and I'm balancing creating a regular thread for people to look at for deals of the week, true new releases at 20% off, and some really fun announcements we'll have in a couple weeks, with flooding the thread with every single price match or deep discount we have. As soon as I saw the community reacting to it, however, I posted it in the thread.

If you look through past posts, you'll notice I was posting everything initially, and the feedback from the community was to scale it back and include everything in one thread. I'm specifically referencing the period of time when we had Bioshock 2 for $8.

Thanks for the feedback though, it helps me calibrate what to bring to the forefront and what not to.

Cheers,
Tony

@Tony

Granted, I'm STILL downloading TDU2 and haven't gotten around to playing it yet.
From reading the reviews from GameSpot and others, it looks like it's got to be EASILY worth $4, given the amount of content it looks to be packing - even on the solo-stuff alone.
Surely, it's had to have gotten better, since its latest patch...

Also, someone mentioned Sacred: Gold was $3 on Amazon once - yeah, agreed, that's a STEAL!!!
Sacred series are some of the best Diablo clones around.
That and TQ series.

Tony:

Sure, you can cherrypick the games you've promoted that got some good reaction here. Congrats for finding the one or two people left on the planet who haven't played Jagged Alliance, and Sacred, and still want to. :applause::lol: The Test Drive Unlimited price is a good deal, too.

I wasn't trying to insult your other sale stock, just comparing the relative merits. Amazon has TW2 for the cheapest price that it's ever been in the history of the world. (Think about that for a second.) You are probably moving more $-volume of TW2 at $24 and TDU at $4 than all of those $2 and $3 games from your first week's sale, combined.

I'm glad to hear that you play these, too. You've done a great job joining the CAG community. Better than any other retailer... Kmart's done well too, but they give no love to PC games, so you're my favorite right now.

[quote name='Tony']
Thanks for the feedback though, it helps me calibrate what to bring to the forefront and what not to.

Cheers,
Tony[/quote]

You're welcome! Tony, I posted here when you first asked for feedback about bringing sales to the community. I didn't get feedback in that thread, but I'd be interested in your response, especially my suggestion of an Amazon DD newsletter, and about your efforts towards building a community bigger than just the games, like Steam has and like GamersGate is trying to do. Thanks.

okay i am having some serious problems with his. it just finished installing but the when i try to start the game i have this "failed to load package" error or something. anyone have any ideas?

bread's done
Back