The Witcher Enhanced (Director's Cut) $28 on Steam

Honestly though the enhanced edition is much better in box because it comes with so many extras such as a full guide for the game, soundtrack, ect.
The game is amazing though its one of the pc exclusives that rocks. I think the console port got canceled.

Nonetheless, this game should be played by ANYONE who likes good, adult roleplaying games. Branching, well-written, meaningful plot with crazy amounts of quests and a nice tactical combat system. I say You BUY NOW!

....Awaits Dragon Age, Divinity 2, Two Worlds 2, Borderlands, Brutal Legend, Batman, MW2, ODST, Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Alpha Protocol, Left 4 Dead 2, The Saboteur, ... :cry: And people are mad at game delays.....

I was going to quip about him saying two worlds 2 too. I played the original, and it was ok...but not good enough to warrant a sequel, or anticipation for a sequel.

There is a demo for this, i recommend it. I enjoyed it.

So I've played The Witcher twice. Said "awesome, seriously, I like this game, I'm gonna play this thing to the end."

Never got past the first chapter. It's not necessarily a bad game, it just has an incredibly slow start. The story apparently picks up past the second/third chapter, but you'll have to slug it out until then.

The secondary issue with the game is the crashing, I've had the game crash while trying to save, even with the Enhanced edition. The Director's Cut should fix more crashes, but there are no guarantees. In addition, the game suffers from the Oblivion effect in that NPCs work in the free form world, and yet quest NPCs can be killed because they decide to engage an enemy that just happens to be spawned there. I've had to reload one save point roughly 5 times, twice to wonder where an NPC was, once to realize that the NPC was being killed during the cutscene that the NPC should be in, and twice to dodge the triggers for the cutscene and try to save her.

That being said, I'm not saying the Witcher is bad. It keeps me coming back to try it, yet I just can't get the time or ability to finish it. I would not have reloaded that save point if I wasn't interested in trying to finish the line. The game is unstable, but you get a love/hate relationship with it.

You get all the enhanced edition content in digital form with the steam edition, SANS a novel included in the physical edition because of distribution rights. Take this into account, since every download from Steam results in downloading the extra content as well(~14 gigs total IIRC).

[quote name='ddrpower']The secondary issue with the game is the crashing, I've had the game crash while trying to save, even with the Enhanced edition. The Director's Cut should fix more crashes, but there are no guarantees. In addition, the game suffers from the Oblivion effect in that NPCs work in the free form world, and yet quest NPCs can be killed because they decide to engage an enemy that just happens to be spawned there. I've had to reload one save point roughly 5 times, twice to wonder where an NPC was, once to realize that the NPC was being killed during the cutscene that the NPC should be in, and twice to dodge the triggers for the cutscene and try to save her.[/QUOTE]

Forgive the vagueness but there is a solution to this. It has something to do with enabling a program to use more than the default limit of memory (Which is one gig IIRC)

This explains it a bit better: http://alfred.co.in/how-to/witcher-vista-crash-fix-how-to/

Would it be better to get that version or to get the normal version from Newegg for $15 and download the EE and uncensoring patches? I read that they were free downloads, is that correct?

[quote name='Splatoon']I'm assuming this is the censored US version?[/QUOTE]

i've read that this "director's cut" is basically the uncensored european version of the game. can anyone else confirm this?

[quote name='Xealot42']Would it be better to get that version or to get the normal version from Newegg for $15 and download the EE and uncensoring patches? I read that they were free downloads, is that correct?[/QUOTE]

They are free but are a huge hassle. I would tell you the secret to get the patches to work but where is the fun in that.

Seriously this game(the poor implementaion of patches and initial poor optimization) really show why PC gaming is dying. That being said it was an amazing game and really sets the bar for branching storytelling.

Buy the Steam version for quick satisfaction. Buy the Newegg version to satisfy your inner CAG and masochistic tendencies.

[quote name='Frogurt.man']They are free but are a huge hassle. I would tell you the secret to get the patches to work but where is the fun in that.

Seriously this game(the poor implementaion of patches and initial poor optimization) really show why PC gaming is dying. That being said it was an amazing game and really sets the bar for branching storytelling.

Buy the Steam version for quick satisfaction. Buy the Newegg version to satisfy your inner CAG and masochistic tendencies.[/QUOTE]

I downloaded the EE patch (along with the english lang patch) and while they were huge and took a long time. They weren't too big a hassle.

For anyone wondering, there is a demo you can get from Fileplanet. From what I played of it, the game seems awesome. Do you need to have the disc in the drive in order to play a retail version of this game? $15 is a much better price than $28, assuming you can get all of the same stuff via downloads like has been said here.

[quote name='Ryukahn']For anyone wondering, there is a demo you can get from Fileplanet. From what I played of it, the game seems awesome. Do you need to have the disc in the drive in order to play a retail version of this game? $15 is a much better price than $28, assuming you can get all of the same stuff via downloads like has been said here.[/QUOTE]

Not anymore. The 1.5 patch disabled the cd-check.

You have to register the game to install all the EE patches and stuff, and patching the game is almost a WoW level pain the arse, but once you do, the game is pretty fantastic and hasn't given me many problems on the tech side.

[quote name='Frogurt.man']They are free but are a huge hassle. I would tell you the secret to get the patches to work but where is the fun in that.

Buy the Steam version for quick satisfaction. Buy the Newegg version to satisfy your inner CAG and masochistic tendencies.[/QUOTE]

Wow, so finding and downloading a SINGLE 2 GB file to update ANY version of The Witcher to the enhanced version is a huge hassle? Really? And you wanna know the real secret to getting the patches to work..? You download and install them, WOW.. now THAT was a well kept secret.

I'm not really understanding how it was poorly implemented, I'm guessing you wanted the game to download and install the patch for you?.. With no work on your part. So what I've gathered, is because your to lazy to find the patch on your own, and because YOU had problems with poor optimization, PC gaming is dying? Terrible logic kid, stick to Xbox, and leave the PC gaming to the big boys.

Just putting this out there, but can't you purchase the original game (for less and bypass Steam), patch it up, and essentially have the director's cut? I mean, we've been able to mod the regular game to include the nudity the director's cut has for years now anyways. Even original VO with subtitles.

[quote name='jalu6']Not anymore. The 1.5 patch disabled the cd-check.

You have to register the game to install all the EE patches and stuff, and patching the game is almost a WoW level pain the arse, but once you do, the game is pretty fantastic and hasn't given me many problems on the tech side.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info :applause:

I have this game, i just never really got into it. good game none-the-less.
151l1259.jpg

[quote name='Jodou']Just putting this out there, but can't you purchase the original game (for less and bypass Steam), patch it up, and essentially have the director's cut? I mean, we've been able to mod the regular game to include the nudity the director's cut has for years now anyways. Even original VO with subtitles.[/QUOTE]

it's true, you could buy the regular edition for $15 off newegg, and with official patches, get the same thing

[quote name='Reck_Havoc']Wow, so finding and downloading a SINGLE 2 GB file to update ANY version of The Witcher to the enhanced version is a huge hassle? Really? And you wanna know the real secret to getting the patches to work..? You download and install them, WOW.. now THAT was a well kept secret.
[/QUOTE]

To be fair, I've played and patched a lot of PC games in my time, and this is the first one that after it finished patching with EE, a small pop up comes up and says something along the lines of "Modifying system files, this could take up to 2 hours..." etc.

That was sort of weird.

[quote name='jalu6']To be fair, I've played and patched a lot of PC games in my time, and this is the first one that after it finished patching with EE, a small pop up comes up and says something along the lines of "Modifying system files, this could take up to 2 hours..." etc.

That was sort of weird.[/QUOTE]

It's a 2GB file, what do you think it was suppose to do? Unpack in 2 seconds and tell you the shortcut on the desktop is ready to go?

Just to be fair, some patches are compacted and then they need to install, finding enough space and writing said space does take awhile. Do you have witcher? Do you know it's like multiple GBs of space? I'd assume that the patches really do a work job over the whole game.

Now if one doesn't want to deal with the patches... there is the EE straight to retail... buy that and be done with it.

I played the Demo and I kinda liked what I experienced.

But thanks for everyone mentioning that you could get the original US disc/version, and just patch it up to EE edition, saving me ~$9 and a displayable box to boot.

EDIT: Apparently you could patch the EE edition to the Director's Cut Edition via this link from the official site.

This is my favorite PC role playing game ever. The story and setting are just top notch. If you like the game, two Witcher novels have been released in America, and they're excellent too.

So in the director's cut edition... the only difference is everything is uncensored and less bugs? Would I be able to get the original 15$ Witcher... then upgrade to Enhanced for free... then upgrade to Director's Cut via official patch (not mods) for no additional cost?

Anyone know?

Picked it up on Steam... the couple dollars I would save jumping through hoops wasn't worth it to me. I'm about 10 hours in and absolutely loving it. Highly recommended. I'll probably even pick up the novels, because Geralt is a pretty cool hero and I'd like to learn more.

One word of advice, though - always keep at least one inventory slot open. I completed a quest and could not get my reward because my inventory was full. He gave it to me, but since I had no space it simply disappeared and I can't get it from him again. Hopefully it's an isolated incident, but I'll be careful nonetheless.

[quote name='Rage Goblin']Picked it up on Steam... the couple dollars I would save jumping through hoops wasn't worth it to me. I'm about 10 hours in and absolutely loving it. Highly recommended. I'll probably even pick up the novels, because Geralt is a pretty cool hero and I'd like to learn more.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm tempted to just pay the few extra dollars and get it on Steam. I don't like New Egg anyway, so I'm having a tough time deciding to give them my money or not. Plus I wouldn't get the DRM if I got it on Steam.

[quote name='Rage Goblin']Picked it up on Steam... the couple dollars I would save jumping through hoops wasn't worth it to me. I'm about 10 hours in and absolutely loving it. Highly recommended. I'll probably even pick up the novels, because Geralt is a pretty cool hero and I'd like to learn more.
[/QUOTE]

One question Rage: How big is the install/local folder is for this game? I heard it clocks in at around 15gb, so is that true?

I want to get this game badly, but since the Fall semester is starting around the corner, I really watching my wallet for the next week/month. $15 and the patching hassle is somewhat worth around $13 of savings (fortunately enough, the 1.2 patch disables the DRM and a later patch disables disk check).

Hmm, according to what I just read, the 1.5 patch removes the need for TAGES, and you don't need a CD in the drive as of 1.4, so maybe there isn't any DRM on it after all....

To those who bought the enhanced edition through steam, you're missing out on some extra goodies such as the soundtrack, making of dvd, manual, etc.

HOWEVER, they say if you check in "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\the witcher enhanced edition" you will find all that extra stuff.

Can someone who owns the game through steam confirm this?

I believe it's there. I bought it on Friday but had a very busy weekend and haven't touched my PC since.

I will check tonight to confirm 100%, but I did already own The Witcher, had it patched to EE; bought it on Steam because it's DC Uncut, and I like to have Steam as a backup when games I own get cheap enough on it. Nice to be able to download instead of look for the disc a few years from now.

Anyway, I copied my installation to Steams installation before letting it scan and re-download what it needed to save some time. I definitely saw the manual in the folder. Read through it and thought it was rather awesome. There was also a map. I didn't look for the Soundtrack or Making of. But I will later.

[quote name='rumarudrathas']One question Rage: How big is the install/local folder is for this game? I heard it clocks in at around 15gb, so is that true?

I want to get this game badly, but since the Fall semester is starting around the corner, I really watching my wallet for the next week/month. $15 and the patching hassle is somewhat worth around $13 of savings (fortunately enough, the 1.2 patch disables the DRM and a later patch disables disk check).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was something epic like that. 15 or 17 - really big.

[quote name='Piff41']To those who bought the enhanced edition through steam, you're missing out on some extra goodies such as the soundtrack, making of dvd, manual, etc.

HOWEVER, they say if you check in "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\the witcher enhanced edition" you will find all that extra stuff.

Can someone who owns the game through steam confirm this?[/QUOTE]

yep it's all there

[quote name='rumarudrathas']One question Rage: How big is the install/local folder is for this game? I heard it clocks in at around 15gb, so is that true?

I want to get this game badly, but since the Fall semester is starting around the corner, I really watching my wallet for the next week/month. $15 and the patching hassle is somewhat worth around $13 of savings (fortunately enough, the 1.2 patch disables the DRM and a later patch disables disk check).[/QUOTE]

shows up as 15.1GB in my steam folder

Do I have until tomorrow at midnight to decide if I want to purchase this via the steam sale, or does it end tonight? I didn't see anything on the sale notice page saying when the sale actually ends, just that it's the 12th.

[quote name='Vegan']Steam sales begin and end on a whim, usually.[/QUOTE]

Well, what I meant was, the page says the sale ends on the 12th, but it doesn't specify if you have all day on the 12th to purchase it, or that it ends as soon as the day becomes the 12th.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Well, what I meant was, the page says the sale ends on the 12th, but it doesn't specify if you have all day on the 12th to purchase it, or that it ends as soon as the day becomes the 12th.[/QUOTE]

Steam sales typically end on the start of the business day for Steam

like the weekend deals typically go down around 9am pacific on Monday

I would think this is no different

I have a disc version I got for free (OEM version via videocard), that I upgraded to the Enhanced Edition.

If you want to save cash, get the game on newegg and patch it up.

Even though I have a copy I decided to pick it up on steam. You can't put a price on convenience, and it is a bit of a pain to upgrade to the EE. Steam is one nice download with auto updates if needed. Plus I don't need my cd key anymore.

On top of this, I enjoyed this game immensely and wanted to give CD Projekt some money as gratitude, and I figure they will get a bit more cash off of steam than Newegg.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Well, what I meant was, the page says the sale ends on the 12th, but it doesn't specify if you have all day on the 12th to purchase it, or that it ends as soon as the day becomes the 12th.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was referring to. It's never set in stone. Things end early, things end late. It's pretty "whenevs" over there.

[quote name='WisCubsFan']If you want to save cash, get the game on newegg and patch it up.

You can't put a price on convenience, and it is a bit of a pain to upgrade to the EE. Steam is one nice download with auto updates if needed. Plus I don't need my cd key anymore.[/QUOTE]

Even though I can't afford the game and, as such, purchasing it from Newegg+patching would have been more economical for me, I dropped the cash on it just now on Steam, because I've always wanted to play it and I'm a sucker for Steam's/Impulse's/etc. convenience. I'll soon be living in a van, down by the river, if Steam keeps having these sales.

Do I have the willpower to resist CoD:WaW for $24.99...?

For those that bought this on Steam, how did you get the pack-ins like the map, game guide and short story? Were they all downloadable as pdfs or some other format?

bread's done
Back