The worst games you own, and why you still have them

DigitalSpace

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Just wondering about the duds in everyone's collections. Why did you get them? Why do you still have them?

You don't have to list as many as I am, of course. I'm going to list the worst game I own for each system.

NES - Bigfoot
I got this at a GameCrazy 3 for $10 sale because there were two games I wasn't going to leave without getting, but aside from those, the selection was pretty poor and I figured this was the best of the bunch.
The first race was okay. Then I get to the second one, which is one of the dreaded sidescrolling races. I even made a thread asking about the controls. because I couldn't figure what to do and GameFAQs was no help. Turns out Acclaim came up with a really stupid control scheme. This game was the leading cause of Nintendo thumb.
I doubt I'd get a decent offer for it in trade, so I figured I'd just keep it for the racing game collection.

Genesis - Mario Andretti Racing
Boring F1 racer. I got it for 50 cents a couple years ago. It's not worth shit so again, it's there just to be a part of the racing game collection.

SNES - Bulls vs. Blazers and the NBA Playoffs
This one's here for nostalgia reasons. I got this as a birthday gift because back then, the Blazers didn't suck. It was decent for its time, despite only featuring the teams that made the 1992 playoffs. Now it's just slow and like many sports games, time has been horrible to it. My original copy got lost a few years after I got it. In 2004, I was going for 100 SNES games and saw a copy for 50 cents. I figured what the hell. It rarely ever sees play. While I play basketball games on the SNES every now and then, it's usually the much better NBA Jam or NBA Live '96.

N64 - MRC: Multi-Championship Racing
I almost picked GT64, but at least that has licensed vehicles. There was a time when I bought almost any cheap N64 racer I saw (and therefore, over half of my N64 collection consists of racers). Dirt cheap and now I know why. Ugh.

PlayStation - The Simpsons Wrestling
I got this as a birthday gift. It was fun for a while trying to spot all the references, and it reminded me a bit of the Simpsons arcade game. But then it got way too hard too fast. I keep it because it's one of those bad games I can actually laugh at and it's an interesting conversation piece.

PS2 - Super Trucks Racing
It's like a boring F1 racer, only with slow trucks! Awesome! Again, not worth shit and just here as a part of the racing collection.

Gamecube - Big Mutha Truckers
I wanted to like this one, but the controls pissed me off too much. I don't know why, but I still plan to play through it someday.

Game Boy - F-1 Race
It was hard to pick a game here. I kinda like this one, but you can tell it really hasn't aged well.

Game Boy Color - Test Drive 2001
Mostly boring, but I like the police chases.

GBA - Pinball Tycoon
I wasn't expecting too much, but it still managed to disappoint. Each table is boring. Worst pinball sim I've ever played, I collect pinball sims for the systems I own so I can't let myself get rid of this.

DS - Asphalt: Urban GT
It's actually a decent racer, but the glitches can be annoying.

Well, I'll avoid sports games, though I remember playing Lakers vs Celtics, and I know it held up horribly, but I still can't call it the worst game I own, since I enjoyed it at the time.

I think I'll name 2 here that I still own

Xbox: Pirates of the Caribbean. I'm not sure if this is truely a horrible game. But, it's a Bethesda game, it had some Morrowind traits, but never quite as much as Morrowind. I bought it because it looked cool. After putting about 10 hours into it, the realization hit that I have a much better game (Morrowind) sitting on the shelf while I'm forcing myself through this. I took this out, popped Morrowind in, and I haven't played it since.

PSX: Disruptor. It's a FPS. I'm not the biggest FPS, made it about half way through before giving up. Nothing I ever plan to play again.

I don't own this, but Overblood on the PSX is the worst game I ever played. It's suppose to be Tomb Raider meets Resident Evil. I loved both of those games, figured, what could I lose. A lot. Absolutely horrible. There are times that I've almost picked it back up just to own the worst game I've ever played.

Oddly enough, I like Disruptor (it actually began its life as a 3DO title before being switched-over to the Playstation), despite the cheesy FMV.

As for awful games I still own, let's just say that I have a thing for the Jaguar (I just really love having the old carts around). There really are some overlooked gems on the platform, but these are not them...

Club Drive by Atari - Possibly the worst driving game I've ever played. While the concept is good (kind of a 3D take on Micro Machines), the execution was nothing short of awful, with the absolute worst driving controls I've ever struggled through. The car handles more like a top than anything with wheels.

Double Dragon V by Williams - Aside from the awful art-style and crappy animation, the computer literally blocks EVERYTHING after the first round or two. It's the worst fighting game this side of Criticom and SHADOW: War of Succession (both of which I no longer own).

White Men Can't Jump by High Voltage Software - What might possibly be the worst licensed title ever (which says a LOT) is also quite possibly the worst basketball game ever. I could go into all the reasons why (terrible animation, stereotypes, a game engine that seems to zoom in randomly, etc.), but do I really need to? I wonder what exec was sitting in his office thinking that of all the movie licenses to plunder, a Woody Harrelson/Wesley Snipes basketball comedy was the way to go.

All for now, though I might add more later once I get a chance to peruse the library a bit.

[quote name='lordxixor101']
I don't own this, but Overblood on the PSX is the worst game I ever played. It's suppose to be Tomb Raider meets Resident Evil. I loved both of those games, figured, what could I lose. A lot. Absolutely horrible. There are times that I've almost picked it back up just to own the worst game I've ever played.[/quote]

Peepo! Self-diagnose! You can make it! Peeepoooooooooooooooo!!

What a game XD

Well, I own too many crap NES/Snes games to count. But I probably paid $1 for all of those so I dont really care. I got games like Total Recall on nes on purpose, cos they are soo bad they have kitsch value to me.

Its when I drop full price on a crap game that it stands out in my mind. I paid $50 for Auto Modellista the day it came out. Man that still gets me angry just thinking about it. Why do I still have it? What am I gonna do? Trade it in for $1? I'd rather keep it as a reminder of a lesson learned. Another crap game I paid full price for: State of Emergency. Ugh...

State of Emergency was the biggest sham in the history of video game marketing. "OH YEAH! IT'LL BE JUST LIKE GRAND THEFT AUTO BUT EVEN BETTER!" I remember a couple hundred suckers had that thing preordered at my local Babbage's (and yes, I was one of them :( )

I've got quite a few.

Mortal Kombat: Special Forces for PSX - Why? Have you ever played it? It's short but goddamn is it fun.

Classified: The Sentinal Crisis for xbox - My local Kohls had this game in a 2 pack for $6.99 with Grabbed by the Ghoulies (which should probably be on this list too) and I'm a sucker for RARE games.

Sonic Shuffle on DC - I love party games and I was a Dreamcast fanboy. Need I say more?

If I can recall more (and there are more stinkers), I'll post em later

Probably the worst game I own is Time Commando for the PS1.

But I have a bunch of garbage games that I keep...too many to list. Why? Because I'm a collector and I'll never trade anything to GS/EB games.

I liken that to College Text Books...Charge me $85 dollars for an Accounting Text Book and offer me $7.00 back for it, will ya?!?

[quote name='looploop']Peepo! Self-diagnose! You can make it! Peeepoooooooooooooooo!!

What a game XD[/quote]

Having never played the game, I have no idea what you're talking about, but that made me laugh so hard. It sounds like a real gem; I might need to pick it up if I get the chance.

Two jump out at me...

Daikatana PC - Actually beat it, sad but true. I have it still just so I can tell other gamers that I completed it and watch their reactions...

Death Duel for Genesis - Hey cool, a game that has blood and you can dismember your opponents. Wait a minute, they made a shooting gallery game with no friggin' light gun support. Good call on that one... I keep it around to remind myself to buy only good games.

Blood Rayne (free because of a coupon glitch) - hoping I could use as trading fodder one day
Turok Evolutions (also free because of coupon glitch) - yeah I picked it up because it could possibly be the worst game of all time. It has a novelty space in my library.

[quote name='lordxixor101']I don't own this, but Overblood on the PSX is the worst game I ever played. It's suppose to be Tomb Raider meets Resident Evil. I loved both of those games, figured, what could I lose. A lot. Absolutely horrible. There are times that I've almost picked it back up just to own the worst game I've ever played.[/quote][quote name='looploop']Peepo! Self-diagnose! You can make it! Peeepoooooooooooooooo!!

What a game XD[/quote]
You are both right... that is the BEST worst game of all time. I beat that shit and loved every minute of it. Survival horror in all its glory starring some random dude with blocky hands the size of a small car who has a robot pal named Pipo. "I know... I'll call you Pipo." Classic.

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']Having never played the game, I have no idea what you're talking about, but that made me laugh so hard. It sounds like a real gem; I might need to pick it up if I get the chance.[/quote] It's like $2. Buy it.

Sonic Heroes, the PS2 port.

Wow, is this game awful. I can't even trade it away.

I thought Sonic was supposed to be good stuff, how could they go so wrong!!!???!!!

Slam City with Scottie Pippen for the Sega CD is a real gem that I own. 4 CDs of one on one FMV basketball goodness.

I've kept it because, well, you just don't come across many mint Slam City with Scottie Pippen's every day.

The only one that really stands out is Wolverine for the NES. What a horrible attempt at action, or platforming, or whatever the hell they thought it was supposed to be. But I was 10, so I'll be damned if I didn't keep going back to it attempting to get some sort of redemption. Never.

No point in selling it for a penny now, so that's why I still have it.

a PC game called 'Blade of Darkness'. Its a sword fight game with adventure elements.

I can't criticize the game makers for trying something different - the control scheme involves complex sword moves using your keyboard. The game is no fun though and it should have never have passed the first stages of game testing.

I have no idea why I still have this game.

E.T. for the atari 2600!! Superman 64!!

Jk - I don't actually own them. They are pretty bad though lol.

Sonic Shuffle & Big Mutha Truckers stand out to me.. Have them because I probably couldn't pay people to take them from me.. lol

:edit: some games that people say are bad that I like are fuck and micheal jackson's moonwalker :lol:

.hack//INFECTION and MUTATION. Bought them due to loving the anime series, tortured myself through the first one, bought the sequel, and hated it just as much. Why do I still have them? Well, I do eventually want to complete them and the other two games just to figure out what the heck happens. Also, the anime bonus discs are a nice thing to keep.

Spec Ops: Stealth Patrol for the PS. Terrible hit detection made the game virtually unplayable. The sad thing is for some unfathomable reason, I also own the sequel as well.

I own WWF: In Your House for PSX, and it's pretty bad.

It's good for a laugh, though, to win with Ultimate Warrior and listen to one of his end-of-match rants last well into the next bout.

State of Emergency paid $40 for it. I'm not counting all the budget titles I bought as those are way to easy to name as the worse. So I picked a game that the developers tried to pawn off as a real game at full price.

.hack Infection, I just can't bring myself to finish this repetitve crap. I plan on trading it in this weekend.

Grabbed by the Ghoulies, the game is horrible really. Was only ten bucks thouogh.

Baiten Katos - sunk 20 hours into this turd. The upside down garden was just the knife in the heart of this rpg. Still dont understand why it gets so much praise, although the graphics are quite pretty.

State of Emergency - I also bought this game. But it wasnt nearly full price, think I paid 20. Played it for about an hour and that was all the time it was worth.

why do I still have them? Because I rarely get rid of any game.

Advance Wars DS though I passed along. Alot of people love it, and although I did enjoy Fire Emblem and other turn based strategy titles, this one just irritated me. It went to a better home. The only "last gen" game I have sold or traded.

Golden Eye:Rogue Agent.

Jesus Christ, remind me never to buy anything just because it's named after a game I liked in middle school. I got it for $5 and I still feel ripped off. The only reason I still have it is because the transaction cost of getting rid of it is higher than just letting it sit there. I also own a few lame SNES games, but for the most part my games are all quality (Quality over quantity, baby).

[quote name='ZForce']State of Emergency was the biggest sham in the history of video game marketing. "OH YEAH! IT'LL BE JUST LIKE GRAND THEFT AUTO BUT EVEN BETTER!" I remember a couple hundred suckers had that thing preordered at my local Babbage's (and yes, I was one of them :( )[/quote]

come on , hwo can a game were you use a head,leg, or a arm as a wepon get boring...now the sequal..is just bad.....yet i got i keept it casue i got for $2 in mint condistion....

I don't know why I torture myself enterting these threads. I know if I read long enough, someone will bring up State of Emergency.

I wonder though, just throw out the story mode. As an arcade game (what it was meant to be) in Chaos mode, the game is fun. This is one of those "party" games I rip out when I have someone at the house I have to entertain. I've yet to have anyone play this and not have a good time (I've probably shown this to about 15 people). Afterwards, I love telling them how gamers think this is one of the worst games ever made. This is really an example of hype backfiring.

I challenge anyone who owns it to go back now and give it a try in Chaos mode only. For 15 minutes at a time, it's fun. And, if a game can entertain for 15 minutes, how can you claim it's the worst game you own (I'm sure most gamers own games that they wouldn't play).

Jimmy Neutron - on the gamecube, my little sister bought it and it just kinda stuck in the collection.

Yu-Gi-Oh! - on the ps2, little cousins brought it over and they never bothered to take it back so it just kinda found a home among the other games.

Mickey's Speedway USA for the Nintendo 64...thought it was going to be like Diddy Kong racing with Mickey blasting away at Goofy...since both games are from Rare..sumwut enjoyed the game..

[quote name='shipwreck']Slam City with Scottie Pippen for the Sega CD is a real gem that I own. 4 CDs of one on one FMV basketball goodness.

I've kept it because, well, you just don't come across many mint Slam City with Scottie Pippen's every day.[/QUOTE]
Ahhhhhh, shit. ::clears throat::
[quote name='Scottie Pippen']
Welcome to the City
That slams with no pity
I hope you're ready
for Slam Slam Slam City

If you're committed
to hard hittin'
get your head in
cuz ain't nobody trickin' stickin' Scottie Pippen

With a team or without one
You're gonna get done
1-on-1 here I come son
just remember, Ace, you been warned
So bring it on, bring it on, bring it on. [/quote]

I own sealed copies of both Mary-Kate and Ashley Get a Clue and ECW Hardcore Revolution for Game Boy Color. Acclaim gave 'em to me, and darned if I knew what else to do with 'em but keep 'em.

Worst game I bought myself is probably Enter the Matrix. That and the already-mentioned State of Emergency were both bought off recommendation from fellow Game Informer editors. Needless to say, I lost some respect for a few of my co-workers' opinions after those.

Well let's see someone already mentioned Pirates of Caribean and I have that, it wasn't a BAD game but it was an exceptionally mediocre game with lots of glitches.

The Survivor PC game, man that was a piece of crap I am lucky that I only wasted 3 dollars at half price books for it.

I've gotten rid of most of my crappy games.. They'll sell in bundles on ebay. I did buy some stinkers for the PSOne when I was on a PS1 collecting spree last summer, though.

Probably the worst game on my "game shelf" where I go to play games, and not in storage is Ninety Nine Nights.

I keep most of my games, I find it tough to get rid of anything. I know I have a lot of games that aren't that great. If I already beat a game I keep it.

I have ET for the 2600.

But the one that comes to mind as the worst "real" game is Ren and Stimpy for the original Gameboy. God that game sucks. I kept all 12 or so of my GB games.

The Scorpion King for Gamecube. I have it because my son loved the movie so much that his grandparents bought the game. Poor people have wasted so much money on movie adaptation and nicolodeon branded games.

I have a copy of Carmageddon 64, that I found the other day in an old system bag. I total forgot about it when I was giving away my 64 gear, and well no lose there to my cousins :)

Oh man, too many to name. For the guy who owns White Men Can't Jump, hey, me too. Bought it for $5 when the Jag was still alive on a wacko clearance and thought I got a hell of a deal. Once I started playing, I realized how insanely wrong I was! That is without question the worst game I've ever played.

I also own Superman 64 and a bunch of other absolute garbage. But I have a good excuse: before I started WrestleCrap, I kicked around doing GameCrap: The Worst in Video Gaming. 8)

RD

Too many to list, but here's some of them.

SNES:

Populous- great PC game, but it was a horrible conversion made by Acclaim.

Michael Jordan: Chaos in the Windy City- much like Shaq-Fu, just plain awful

PS2:

Enter the Matrix- bought it back when Matrix Reloaded came and regret buying it. Especially since it locked up a lot.

Gamecube:

Space Raiders- just plain boring. Even Space Invaders was more entertaining than this.

Xbox:

Azurik
Nightcaster
New Legends
Terminator 3: ROTM

bread's done
Back