The Wrestling Thread is usually a 4 but in a dress it's an 8 SPH Memorial Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no need for both an IC/US Title AND a TV Title, even in a big roster like WWE. It just devalues both titles. If you're going to have a third title, make it somewhat different than just another midcard title, like a Cruiserweight Title or whatever.

Non-spoiler review of the show:

The Good
- An good opening tag team match followed by a very strong ROH tag title match for the main event. Yeah its only two matches but it set the tone on the first show that tag team wrestling matters in ROH.

- Some simple but nice build up for the next two weeks by advertising both the TV title on the line next week and the World Title in two weeks.

The Bad
- Way too many ads... and I'm not just talking about the ad breaks itself. There was multiple ROH ads during the show for their front row membership, live event tickets, DVD sales, etc etc etc. Yeah I understand the importance of ads but I started tuning all of it out halfway through the show since it started to annoy me.

- Note to Sinclair: Its 2011 not 1997. And there's this little thing called.... I dunno.... HIGH DEFINITION. Please film your show in it. The video on tonight's show was awful which is sad since the production itself is pretty decent. Just get it in HD so ROH will fully feel like a modern show. Thanks.

Edit: Apparently some markets are airing ROH in 16x9 HD. So it seems to be station dependent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll probably end up getting the annual membership. It works out to be a good deal with being able to watch the show early (without having to steal it), 15% off sale items, PPV discounts and library access (plus a t-shirt). I just wish their new logo was better. I don't really dig the tribal influence look of it.

[quote name='neocisco']I'll probably end up getting the annual membership. It works out to be a good deal with being able to watch the show early (without having to steal it), 15% off sale items, PPV discounts and library access (plus a t-shirt). I just wish their new logo was better. I don't really dig the tribal influence look of it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I hate being reminded of tatted up MMA wanna-be's whenever I see it.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Non-spoiler review of the show:

The Good
- An good opening tag team match followed by a very strong ROH tag title match for the main event. Yeah its only two matches but it set the tone on the first show that tag team wrestling matters in ROH.

- Some simple but nice build up for the next two weeks by advertising both the TV title on the line next week and the World Title in two weeks.

The Bad
- Way too many ads... and I'm not just talking about the ad breaks itself. There was multiple ROH ads during the show for their front row membership, live event tickets, DVD sales, etc etc etc. Yeah I understand the importance of ads but I started tuning all of it out halfway through the show since it started to annoy me.

- Note to Sinclair: Its 2011 not 1997. And there's this little thing called.... I dunno.... HIGH DEFINITION. Please film your show in it. The video on tonight's show was awful which is sad since the production itself is pretty decent. Just get it in HD so ROH will fully feel like a modern show. Thanks.

Edit: Apparently some markets are airing ROH in 16x9 HD. So it seems to be station dependent.[/QUOTE]

How often were the ads on ECW?

[quote name='neocisco']I'll probably end up getting the annual membership. It works out to be a good deal with being able to watch the show early (without having to steal it), 15% off sale items, PPV discounts and library access (plus a t-shirt). I just wish their new logo was better. I don't really dig the tribal influence look of it.[/QUOTE]

I'm more curious about the archival stuff they are going to offer on demand. If they offer full shows with good streaming quality then it'll be worth it for me. Or at least offer some of the more memorable matches in ROH history. I am also curious about what the actual discount on the iPPVs will end up being.

Watching the OMG DVD in Netflix. ya know, it kinda kills the surprise of what's gonna be on the list when you show half the fucking list in the intro.

[quote name='Trakan']Time to give Cena both belts.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The CM Punk/Del Rio/Mark Henry experiments have obviously failed.

Now we just have to decide how badly Cena beats Mark Henry and when.

"Imagine a 24-hour cable network that was run by The WWE. It featured a mix of WWE-made programs, including new shows, repeats of Raw and SmackDown from USA and Syfy and "classic" or "historical" programs featuring shows from different promotions like classic WWE footage, WCW, ECW, NWA, AWA, etc. from years past.

It would have two new weekly WWE live in-ring shows (wrestling), but not SmackDown or Raw.

It would have a daily live in-studio viewer interactive show similar to SportsCenter.

Additionally, this network would include WWE's "classic big 4" pay-per-view events including WrestleMania, SummerSlam, Survivor Series and Royal Rumble to the lineup at no additional cost. Rather than having to pay for them, they would now be specials with the same match quality you're used to seeing on pay-per-view for no additional cost. These 4 events would only be available on The WWE Network.

In addition to The WWE Network, you would receive approximately 30 additional channels including NFL Network, NBA TV, Biography Channel, Fox Business Network and Fuel TV.

How interested would you be in upgrading your service for an additional $7-$12 per month to a tier which would include the WWE Network described above?"

I'll take it!

[quote name='Survivalism']I'll take it![/QUOTE]

Where was that from? Because if that's legit, I'm right along with you.

[quote name='Regian']Where was that from? Because if that's legit, I'm right along with you.[/QUOTE]

It's from a survey commissioned by WWE through a third party. I took the survey about 9 days ago. I posted most of the questions back on page 5 if you want to see them.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Dead Wrestler Society art gallery

Here are some really nice pieces of artwork of wrestlers that have passed, with my favorite pieces being the Savage and Bam Bam ones. They're all really good, though. I guess these are from an art show happening in the UK.[/QUOTE]

I want to buy some of those prints for sure.

[quote name='Survivalism']I'll take it![/QUOTE]

Same although I'd need some kind of console streaming option. I already don't have cable and/or direct TV. I watch stuff via Netflix, ESPN3, and DVDs. If there was a WWE "channel" next to Netflix on 360, I'd pay ~10 a month to subscribe.

EDIT - And that picture of Earthquake flexing is a-fucking-mazing.

[quote name='mykevermin']I want to buy some of those prints for sure.[/QUOTE]
Big Boss Man one is my background on my tablet now.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Dead Wrestler Society art gallery

Here are some really nice pieces of artwork of wrestlers that have passed, with my favorite pieces being the Savage and Bam Bam ones. They're all really good, though. I guess these are from an art show happening in the UK.[/QUOTE]

I want the Savage and Earthquake ones on a t-shirt.

Oddly enough I really like the Blue Demon one even though the whole Lucedor thing isn't really on my radar.

[quote name='nasum']Oddly enough I really like the Blue Demon one even though the whole Lucedor thing isn't really on my radar.[/QUOTE]
I liked the luchadors too even though I rarely watch CMLL or AAA. Very good art all around.

I really would like to see the entire Dead Wrestlers Society exhibit. If he ever visits SF or LA I'm there.

I don't know if anyone frequents Wrestlecrap but Earthquake used to post there. I really wish I had gotten to talk to him. Everyone there absolutely loved the guy.

Is it possible to have a chat with only one person involved? ;)

Terra Nova has been pretty good so far. Not spectacular but decent entertainment.

Hell In A Cell prediction: Henry wins then the gong hits and UT returns. I could be wrong, but if he is retiring next year I would like to see him have more than a 6 week run around WM before he goes.

[quote name='renique46']lol @ smackdown commercial spoiling hell in the cell

i didnt think wwe still did that sigh[/QUOTE]

what happened?

Show opened and Cole talked about the Cell BEING LARGER THAN THE AVERAGE AMERICAN HOME and I just rolled my eyes. Then HHH came out and said he fired Truth and Miz, who got a lot of airtime for being FIRED, because they shot a video THAT HHH'S WWE PUT ON THEIR SITE and attacked the ref. And then he said that he used them to get one more main event. HHH, the guy who admitting using two people for his own gain, was the babyface here, somehow. Then Dolph came out so HHH could cut his balls off to lead to Cody getting his cut off. Christian came out, and this at least led to a series of matches being made for the week before HHH neutered him. Then Dolph got his dick cut off by HHH, before Cody had his replaced in a sex-change operation in the form of a ten-man battle royal for the IC Title. This fucking sucked. Dolph, Cody, and Christian were fine on the mic, but HHH was just the most annoying asshole on Earth here.

For some reason, Morrison and Riley were in a match for an SD title. Battle royal was really short, but I enjoyed the Zeke-Sheamus big man beatdown spot. Glad to see Cody win - what a great babyface win here. Poor guy came out, mere days after having his head bashed in, with the odds stacked against him in every way, and he came out victorious. GO CODY! WWE has more twitter followers than a phone company - DON'T YOU WANT TO BUY THEIR PPVS NOW!? Cole followed up this mention of how great WWE is by saying one of their lead announcers was suffering from anal bleeding. Wonderful. I'm guessing they're mad at Lawler for some stupid reason because there's no good reason to say something like that. I guess they're mad at him for not checking the table when he thought, you know, SOMEONE AT THE SUPPOSED BILLION DOLLAR CORPORATION HE'S EMPLOYED BY WOULD CHECK IT. Then Otunga showed up in a fucking bowtie talking about being a lawyer for the wrestlers. Well, that's at least better than better than being a boring guy.

The divas of doom showed up with spikes - FINALLY, SOMETHING GOOD! Cole brought up anal bleeding again, which led to J.R. saying that Cole and anal bleeding go together. Especially when it comes to Heidenreich. Divas of Doom won via the glam slam - sadly not right after the handspring elbow. Then THE WORLD CHAMPION Mark Henry just came out of nowhere to wrestle a match they never announced. Then they announced his opponent was Khali and I was hoping he'd take out another announcer. Start with Cole, please. Loved him filling up the whole screen for his intro - great way to make him look even bigger. Also liked that he lifted Khali up so easily - knowing how banged up Khali is, it's pretty clear Khali can't do much physically, so Henry had to do a lot of that. Henry dared ANYONE to stop him - awesome. WWE had better keep the title on him because they've got something special with his push right now. Cena-Christian was less a match and more a backdrop for a FIVE MAN COMMENTARY TEAM before Alberto attacked Punk, leading to Cena getting hit with the running enzugiri and saying he'd come back from Hell on Sunday. Okay promo, but nothing that made me interested in the match. Cena's BIG YELLING PROMO before it didn't help either.

Ryder-Dolph was a nothing match, but man did Ziggler ever do THE best-looking Zig Zag ever. And J.R. was hilarious saying that if Cole wasn't happy with his interview with Henry, he can do one himself. And then Air Boom came down to... make a six-man tag instead of a PPV tag title match. Well, actually, either a six man, or a three-on-two match favoring the faces. It was 2-on-3 until Mason Ryan came out, shockingly, not to Batista chants. So then he turned face on Raw, and then the faces won with a four on two advantage. Mason Ryan came out looking bigger than ever, with a body all out of proportion - like a CAW from someone with no grasp of the limb proportion sliders, complete with bitch tits and a pretty girly hair cut. Then Otunga met with the Legion of Doomed Midcarders before getting cut off by Justin Roberts. Otunga's so much better on the mic than he is in the ring that this is really a big step up for him, beyond just being a seemingly main event-level role, it's a better use of him as a talent.

Cena came out to bore the world on commentary. Thankfully, Punk threw Alberto on him to shut him up, then saluted him. Loved this - the one Raw main event thing I've liked yet. Then Cena buried Alberto more than usual on commentary, saying that not only did the guy backdoor his way into the title, and took advantage of Rey, and then lost it to him. So yeah - don't bother trying to take Alberto seriously as a main eventer again. And of course, Cena beating Rey the night he won the WWE Title is fine. Punk won, so I'm guessing Alberto actually wins the Cell match since he lost clean as a sheet here. Then Ricardo got locked in the cell with Cena and Punk, who beat him up for doing NOTHING WRONG. Thankfully, Alberto came back to beat up the guys who assaulted his best friends. And goddamn did Alberto ever swing the chair hard. I hope Albeto has a chair match at the TLC PPV, because he made every single chairshot he did seem vile...possibly because he just stiffed each guy with them, but whatever, it at least made chairs seem like a big deal.

Screens -

THE OFFICIAL SONG OF HELL IN A CELL...by the Twilight version of KISS -

May I suggest some neon for your wardrobe?

Quotes -
Cole - I’M MICHAEL COLE, and at the end of the table, Jim Ross.
Cole - THE HELL IN A CELL, AT 3500 SQUARE FEET, IS LARGER THAN THE AVERAGE AMERICAN HOME!
HHH - Before we get started, I want to explain my actions last week. Miz and Truth were fired. Not because of my ego or because of some conspiracy - they were fired because of this! You were fired for savagely attacking a WWE official. You came to me with a lame apology and were full of crap. I knew at that moment I would fire you, but instead, I fined you and used you to get one more main event out of you then fired you. There’s another $250,000 fine out there - Mark Henry, for putting his hands on J.R. and putting Jerry Lawler through the table. NO ONE MAN IS BIGGER THAN THE WWE! I fired one of my best friends KEVIN NASH FOR LYING TO ME. I WILL ALWAYS DO WHAT IS RIGHT FOR THE WWE.
Vickie - EXCUSE ME!
Dolph - HHH, you’re talking about what’s doing what’s right for the company. More specifically, I wanna know what you’ll do for me. Last week, in case you missed it, YOUR US CHAMP WAS SUCKER-PUNCHED BY WOLVERINE! I WAS BUSY STEALING THE SHOW LIKE I ALWAYS DO! Take a look. IT’S ONLY A HAIRLINE FRACTURE, and since all these kids look to me as their hero, I can still compete! But I can’t eat solid food, so I’m gonna ask you one last time - WHAT DO YOU PLAN ON DOING ABOUT THIS?!
HHH - Hugh Jackman, was a guest, you came out, picked a fight, and punched you in your glass jaw. I guess, if you want, I’ll get some security for when the Muppets are here.
Dolph - You’re joking, right?
Cody - IT’S ALL ONE BIG JOKE TO YOU! If you thought it was funny when Dolph got punched, you must’ve been rolling when Randy Orton BASHED MY HEAD IN WITH A RING BELL! I HAD NINE STAPLES PUT IN MY HEAD, SO WHY WASN’T ORTON FINED OR PUNISHED? WHY DIDN’T YOU DO ANYTHING, HUNTER!?
HHH - I wish they’d have stapled your mouth. Second, a few years ago, Orton came to the ring and he handcuffed me to the rope, attacked my wife, and you were a part about it. I DIDN’T CRY, I WENT AND BEAT HIS ASS ON HIS FRONT LAWN! MAN UP, CODY. THIS ISN’T THE BOY SCOUTS. SUCK IT UP!
Christian - Hold on… What happened to me last week was much worse. Sheamus came out during MY MATCH. He put his hands on me, AND COST ME THE WORLD TITLE! HOW IS THAT FAIR?
HHH - IT WAS A LUMBERJACK MATCH, IDIOT! GET IT!?
Christian - Yeah - I’VE HAD ENOUGH. Dolph, Cody - let’s file the biggest lawsuit in the history of the WWE. Although I could change my mind if you were to give me ONE MORE MATCH!
HHH - Fine. I’ll give you ONE MORE MATCH against Sheamus. THIS FRIDAY ON SMACKDOWN, I’LL GIVE YOU ONE MORE MATCH WITH RANDY ORTON! AND RIGHT HERE TONIGHT, JUST FOR PISSING ME OFF, I’LL GIVE YOU ONE MORE MATCH AGAINST THE WWE CHAMPION JOHN CENA!
Christian - Is it for the title?
HHH - NO!
Christian - I’M OUTTA HERE!
Dolph - So when it comes to the U.S. Champ, you’re not gonna do the right thing?
HHH - No, last week, you got beat, so this week, you’ll defend against the man who beat you last week. I can’t believe I’m gonna say this - I hope we have a new U.S. Champion in Zack Ryder. WOO WOO WOO, YOU KNOW IT!
Dolph - HE’S AN INTERNET CHAMPION! DOESN’T EVEN COUNT!
HHH - And Cody, just because you got a zipper on your head, I’ll give you the night off.
Cody - You should take the night off.
HHH - What?
Cody - WITH ALL DUE RESPECT, YOU’RE A POOR EXCUSE FOR COO!
HHH - THAT’S A GREAT IDEA, CODY - YOU’LL DEFEND THE IC TITLE TONIGHT!
Code - Do WWE a favor and resign.
HHH - A TRIPLE THREAT MATCH!? PERFECT! NO! FATAL 4 WAY! I’ll walk back there and the first nine guys who I come across will face you IN A TEN MAN BATTLE ROYAL !
Cole - TWITTER’S GONNA BE BUZZING WITH ALL THE ACTION ON RAW.
J.R. - THERE’S TWO SIN CARAS!
Booker - WUT DA HELL!
J.R. - DiBiase tried the Million Dollar dream as a difference-maker, but it didn’t make a difference.
Cole - Jerry Lawler has bruised ribs and with all due respect, ANAL BLEEDING!
Booker - WUT!?
Cole - SEVEN TOPICS FROM WWE ARE TRENDING ON TWITTER!
J.R. - Which ones?
Cole - Michael Cole…
J.R. - And…
Cole - Anal bleeding…
J.R. - The two go together.
Booker - Eve should make a tag.
Cole - HOW CAN SHE MAKE A TAG IN THIS PREDICAMENT?
Booker - Just come in and out - FIVE SECONDS!
J.R. - TESTIFY BOOKER!
Booker - KELLY FLEW THROUGH THE AIR WITH THE GREATEST OF EASE AND DROPPED SOME MUSTARD ON BETH PHOENIX!
J.R. - AND SOME BBQ SAUCE!
Booker - I wanna put my journalism hat on for a second…
Cole - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! WHO ARE YOU!? WHOOPI FROM THE VIEW!?
Henry - IF I’M GONNA PAY A FINE, EVERYBODY’S GONNA PAY!
J.R. - HELL IN A CELL IS LIKE CHURCH - MANY ATTEND, FEW UNDERSTAND!
Booker - JOHN CENA GETTING A WHOLE LOTTA LOVE! (fans boo)
Cena - THIS SUNDAY, JOHN CENA GOES TO HELL! THIS SUNDAY IS THE FIRST-EVER TRIPLE THREAT HELL IN A CELL MATCH! WHY!? BECAUSE THIS MATCH IS NECESSARY! As much as I don’t wanna admit it, this title is surrounded by controversy. From the second that CM Punk walked out at MITB with it, to ADR cashing in his contract to wear this… to yours truly hoisting it above my head for a RECORD-BREAKING TENTH TIME! As of late, this title is flooded with uncertainty - SUNDAY, WHEN THAT DOOR IS LOCKED, AT THE END OF THE NIGHT, THE CONTROVERSY IS OVER! WHY HELL IN A CELL!? BECAUSE IT IS A BRUTAL PROBLEM SOLVER! IT IS OVER 20 FEET HIGH! FIVE TONS OF SOLID STEEL! AND SUNDAY, THE THREE BIGGEST FORCES IN WWE WILL LIVE IN HELL AND MAKE HISTORY! WELCOME TO HELL IN A CELL! WELCOME TO THE DEVIL’S PLAYGROUND! I could spend hours telling you about the brutal things that have happened here, but I’ll speak short and talk about the things that WILL HAPPEN HERE. ON SUNDAY, I WILL RUN INTO THE DEVIL’S PLAYGROUND, STARE SATAN IN THE EYE AND SAY IS THAT ALL YOU GOT!?
Cole - I like that Punk has his announcing jacket.
Booker - ANNOUNCING JACKET!?
Cole - YES! IF YOU FOLLOWED OUR PRODUCT, YOU’D KNOW HE WAS A COMMENTATOR ON RAW!
J.R. - Looks very professional - like something an EVP of talent relations would wear.
Punk - Thanks - I got it from a bum.
Punk - It’s a 4-man booth - I can’t wait for this train wreck.
Booker - QUE PASA!
ADR - YOU LOOK LIKE A CLOWN!
Punk - YOU’RE HALF NAKED!
Punk - I’ve faced the Undertaker in a cell - YOU HAVEN’T HAD ONE!
ADR - Doesn’t matter - I’LL KICK YOUR BUTT!
ADR - YOU’RE RIGHT CENA. ON SUNDAY, THE THREE OF US WILL LIVE IN HELL, BUT I’M THE ONLY ONE COMING BACK. IT IS MY DESTINY TO BEAT THE HELL OUT OF YOU! AND BECOME THE WWE CHAMPION! AND AFTER THAT, PEOPLE, YOU ALL CAN GO TO HELL!
J.R. - Book, you ever been a broski?
Booker - Nah, and I don’t think I wanna be that at this time.
Booker - J.R., do you feel responsible for what happened to Jerry Lawler?
J.R. - I had the opportunity to talk to the world champion, asked what I felt were obvious questions and…
Cole - YOU WERE LIKE LARRY MERCHANT OUT THERE WITH HIM!
J.R. - Okay. Next time - you interview him!
Booker - ZIG ZAG MAN RUNNING FOR COVER!
Cole - Bourne is now reading books about longevity - he wants to live to be the oldest man in the world.
Booker - Don’t think it’s gonna happen.
J.R. - I like Vickie’s business acumen - I can’t spell it, but I like it.
Booker - Vickie’s big-boneded, BUT I LIKE BIG-BONEDED WOMEN!
Cole - AT LEAST SHE’S BEEN TO A GYM!
Booker - SWAG’S IN TROUBLE - SWAGS NEEDS TO MAKE A TAG!
Booker - I came here in 2000 and I NEVER COMPETED IN A HELL IN A CELL, AND THAT’S BY DESIGN!
Cena - THE CELL MAKES MICE OUT OF MEN!
J.R. - IT DEVOURS PEOPLE!
Cole - John, TO USE AN OLD CLICHÉ, YOU’VE AWAKENED A SLEEPING GIANT!
J.R. - There’s a lot of loose cannon in CM Punk.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Scorch']what happened?[/QUOTE]

showed ticket info for a local upcoming smackdown in 2 weeks showing del rio with the strap defending it against cena and what looks like henry retaining and facing orton again. Who knows if thats the plan, but some local advertisements for shows in the past have spoiled ppvs.

Not to mention the ending of raw just now hmm....

Meh, they usually have the guy losing coming out strong on the go-home edition of Raw / Smackdown. Although if I had to guess I'm assuming someone finds their way into the cell and screws over Punk, knocking him out of the title picture AGAIN.

I hope ADR wins it here. He needs a win at this point to even have a chance of looking semi-capable as a main-event level threat. Right now he just seems like a Midcarder that took advantage of a gimmick to steal Cena's belt. This was reinforced through Cena basically dismantling ADR and then even Punk beating him cleanly on Raw.

ADR needs a clean win. Doesn't have to be a straight up squash like 99% of the Cena blow-off matches. Have Cena screw up and have ADR squeek out a victory. Bonus points for ADR using his armbar. Hell, rip-off Hart Vs Austin from WM and have a bloodied, beaten down Cena pass out to the Armbar. Cena still looks like a champ, gets all the sympathy support from his "CeNation" and ADR looks like an honest-to-god threat. Not jst another Money-In-The-Bank-Cashed-In winner.

Which reminds me, what happened to Miz? He went from promising, to looking like a mid-carder who just stole Cena's belt, only to have Cena beat the ever-living crap out of him.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']I hope ADR wins it here.[/QUOTE]

Upside: WWE often uses three-ways to cheaply transfer the title to another person while protecting the champ. So there's far more potential there than elsewhere.

Downside: WWE is in panic mode, and Cena is their safety go-to.

Amazing-side: CM Punk is kind of a non-factor in the title hunt right now.

Plus Dwayne is coming back soon and they are already advertising the 5 on 5 so he should lose it at this one or Vengeance.

169.jpg

Bella Twins decided Raw needed a little more camel toe.

Thank god someone did! Raw was going through a serious drought in the camel toe department. Glad to see they're working on it with due diligence.

[quote name='ShinSolidus']Is it bad that I remember that intro song from that Off The Air video being in WWF Attitude?[/QUOTE]

Nope, I remembered it as well! :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back