The Wrestling Thread is usually a 4 but in a dress it's an 8 SPH Memorial Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='JJSP']Vengeance in three weeks, folks.[/QUOTE]

Seriously!? 2 weeks between unmemorable PPV title #1 and UPPVT #2 and then 3 weeks to #3? Three PPV's in 5 weeks. This is so ridiculous it defies description.

So I assume we'll get Cena, Rock, Punk, & Air Boom against Del Rio, Nash, Miz, Truth, and maybe Rhodes or Christian at Survivior Series?

As much as I like Miz & Truth stomping everyone, I can't stand HHH beating on them as they're being carried out and I don't even want to consider who lowered the cage to keep everyone out at the end.

I read an interesting article over the weekend about how WWE is using its programming to push its political ideals again. Not so much in the "Linda is going to run for senate" idea, but in the "bad guys are trying to unionize" sense.

I'll see if I can't find it, as the cultural implications of the programming are clearly laid out. Unions are for heels and pussies, while real men just pound the shit out of each other.

[quote name='mykevermin']I read an interesting article over the weekend about how WWE is using its programming to push its political ideals again. Not so much in the "Linda is going to run for senate" idea, but in the "bad guys are trying to unionize" sense.

I'll see if I can't find it, as the cultural implications of the programming are clearly laid out. Unions are for heels and pussies, while real men just pound the shit out of each other.[/QUOTE]
I thought there were some unionization undertones lately. I noticed it first in that segment they did with Otunga where they had him spouting off random legal citations.

[quote name='Purple Flames']So, the WWE title has changed hands seven times since MitB.[/QUOTE]

Jesus christ on a pogo stick.

I take back all of the criticisms of Vince Russo for 2011. Well, most of them. Not all.

HIAC 2011 Thoughts

Christian-Sheamus was about what I expected - a very good, relatively fast-paced match that never dragged. Loved the I guess you’d call it an Irish Swing off of the baseball slide dropkick to the floor attempt by Christian - it was like Joe’s swinging power bomb-thing to the barricade but to the floor, and made a nice thud! Good finishing sequence playing off of each guys’ finishers leading to the Brogue kick. Really loved the rudo Sin Cara’s alternate theme and tron. The match itself was a bit of a cluster, although less of one than it would’ve been had they both been in the same outfit. I really think doing that for weeks killed this feud more than anything because the crowd didn’t know how to react to any of it, and then they just finally set that issue straight on the very last show before the PPV. Crowd was mostly dead - and there wasn’t much lucha-style action here except for Sin Cara 2’s wacky pose during a leg hold, and after watching Averno on CMLL be just awesome as a prick heel, I wasn’t too impressed by this. Sin Cara one with a wacky sunset flip - what a blow off. At least it’s hopefully over and they can begin rebuilding Mistico as a big deal after really destroying his momentum with this feud.

Air Boom vs. Team Cougar was a really good little standard tag formula match. Loved the famouser counter into the standing moonsault by Bourne - very smooth. Finish was nice, but Kash did the super power bomb>rana counter much better. Henry-Orton was about what I expected, although I enjoyed their NoC match a little more. Liked the finish here a lot - I feared that they screwed up having Orton hit the RKO on SD, but it played into this match really well having Henry kick out of it, but avoid the punt and instead hit the WSS for the win. The post-match chair stuff logically set up a CHAIRS match at TLC…which isn’t the PPV coming up next, so yeah they probably could have waited a bit on doing this.

Cody cut seemingly every promo he’s cut since this bag gimmick debuted, BUT BROUGHT BACK THE REGGIE IC BELT! YES! Side plates are too generic, but hot damn that face plate is the greatest IC title design ever. And then he got to beat Morrison, who lost his second match for the IC Title in a week. Goddamn has this return been a disaster for him. He’s the first guy in seemingly eons to get beat by an Oklahoma roll…and he can’t even win WHEN THE MATCH IS DESIGNED FOR HIM TO WIN. Beth-Kelly was a match. Kelly doing something resembling a head slam into the turnbuckle was hilarious. Glad Beth won, but it really should’ve happened two weeks ago instead of here, where at least it would’ve meant something to the crowd. It meant a lot to Beth though, which perplexed Booker to no end. That was amusing.

Really liked the 3-way HIAC until Cena no-sold being hit in the ribs with the pipe in order to make wacky faces while trying to enter the cell again. However, they made up for having him kill the pipe gimmick by having it beat Punk. Loved the post-match Miz-Truth beatings. They came off as actual threats here, which isn’t so new for Truth given his intensity, but Miz usually comes off as a guy playing a tough guy, and here, he came off as more of a tough guy than ever before. Loved Truth beating up a poor camera guy. Having the whole roster out there really made this seem like a huge deal. J.R. losing his shit over BOLT CUTTERS was awesome, and I'm not sure how I feel about the whole Miz/Truth arrest leading to HHH beating them thing, but it didn't feel like a HUN-TOR deal, so I'll give it a chance to progress as part of the story before knocking it.

Screens -

Quotes
Cole - THE NICKNAME IS YOUR FAULT! AIR BOOM IS HORRIBLE. IT’S THE WORST NICKNAME SINCE HARLEM HEAT!
Booker - O…kay….o…kayy…Watch ya mouth, Cole.
Booker - AN ACTOR BROKE HIS JAW!?
J.R. - If Randy Orton wins tonight, he’ll be the only man to win both of WWE’s most prestigious championships in this environment.
Cole - Listen to Randy moaning and groaning.
Cole - RANDY ORTON’S FEEDING OFF THE UNIVERSE!
J.R. - Look at Orton’s face - WHAT HAS HAPPENED, WHAT MUST I DO!
Booker - WHAT DA HELL!? DO I SEE TEARS!? WHY IS SHE CRYING!?
Cole - Because she won a championship. She’s been women’s champion, but never divas champion.
J.R. - MY GOD, THEY GOT BOLT CUTTERS! GET IN THERE, GET IN THERE!

[quote name='JJSP']Vengeance in three weeks, folks.[/QUOTE]

Haha, what a joke. Obviously, they looked pretty hard at those numbers Myke posted a while ago and decided that since their only increase in profits came from PPVs that they need to keep pumping out PPVs every couple weeks.

On the other hand, they probably haven't noticed that each PPV is setting a new record for their lowest buy rates...

I don't think it even needs to be said but they really need to cut at least 3 PPVs, minimum, more like 5 to make them relevant.

For comparison:
2010: Sheamus (won 2009) --> Cena --> Batista --> Cena --> Sheamus --> Orton --> Miz

2011: Miz (won 2010) --> Cena --> Punk --> Vacant --> Rey --> Cena --> Punk (unified, but his reign never really ended) --> ADR --> Cena --> ADR

Since MIB there have been more WWE Title changes than there were in all of 2010. Yup. That year also feature the random double switch at Elimination Chamber (Sheamus->Cena->Batista) to set up Batista v. Cena at Mania (for an immediate switch back).

TNA
2010: A. J. Styles (won 2009) --> RVD --> Vacant --> Hardy

2011: Hardy (won 2010) --> Anderson --> Hardy --> Sting --> Anderson --> Sting --> Angle

Oddly, the time the title was vacant in TNA in 2010 was August -> October. In 2011, every reign since Sting's was shorter than that and Anderson's had 2 cups of coffee with the belt. Hardy also had one as well.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Haha, what a joke. Obviously, they looked pretty hard at those numbers Myke posted a while ago and decided that since their only increase in profits came from PPVs that they need to keep pumping out PPVs every couple weeks.

On the other hand, they probably haven't noticed that each PPV is setting a new record for their lowest buy rates...

I don't think it even needs to be said but they really need to cut at least 3 PPVs, minimum, more like 5 to make them relevant.[/QUOTE]

There was a time when WWE did *18* shows a year (and those 18 shows didn't always feature 4 people in the top matches of every show because 14 of them were split-brand shows). I don't understand why they took out the double dip from the summer months and left the one in Sept-October, especially since the World Series and Football have started then and people may be saving up for Christmas. Seems silly when during Summer, they have what they say is their audience (families/kids) at home with nothing to do.

Amazing to think the longest reigning champion in the last two years is The Miz of all people.

[quote name='mykevermin']$45 for a PPV is fucking ridiculous in this day and age anyway.

What numbskulls keep buying them at all?[/QUOTE]

I used to buy them out of habit. Then a funny thing happened... they went to $45 AND $10 extra to even make it watchable. $55 for HD PPVs in most systems. There is no reason to spend that on a show I could get on Blu-Ray or DVD 3 weeks later for $14, if I'd even want to watch it.

I abandoned WWE PPVs in 2008. TNA followed in 2009 when the shows became so bad, I wanted to stab myself. Having friends who no longer even cared to watch them (let alone split the cost) didn't help. I've bought 1 WWE PPV since Rumble 2008 (WrestleMania XXVI, went to Mania XXIV and XXVII... boy did I go to the wrong shows).

I'll buy some crappy MMA show for $30+, but don't bother sniffing near wrestling shows.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']ScrambleVision FTW![/QUOTE]

Thats how I was raised on PPV's. We were far too poor to buy all of them, so we listened. When we could afford one (the important ones mostly), it was always a real treat.

My college roommates would make fun of me for "watching" a scrambled PPV. And the rare one that the cable company forgot to scramble was always awesome.

[quote name='Brak']I used to listen to WCW PPVs, back in the day...[/QUOTE]

Those days were the shit. I remember calling up my cousin when Sting beat Hogan at Starcade 97 and tell him all about it even though I could only listen to it.

I had a friend (yes, this is serious not a "I'm actually the friend" thing) with one of those magic cable boxes back in the day. He'd tape WCW/WWF/ECW PPVs and bring them to my house the next day to watch before Raw/Nitro. My weekly consumption of prowrestling during the height of the Monday Night War was easily 7+ hours a week. Shit was awesome. Or awesomely bad (2000 Nitro) which was still fun to watch.

Can't mention scramblevision without mentioning late night Cinemax. Ah....Emanuelle.....
Er....sorry...ahem...so did Mark Henry keep the belt last night?

[quote name='powercreep']Can't mention scramblevision without mentioning late night Cinemax. Ah....Emanuelle.....
Er....sorry...ahem...so did Mark Henry keep the belt last night?[/QUOTE]

He retained in a good match, all things considered. In other news, MVP has a music video out.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_3RvOpnMQQ

bordertossd4km.gif

fuck Hernandez.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']

bordertossd4km.gif

fuck Hernandez.[/QUOTE]

Don't show Lance Storm. He shits bricks over the use of that move.

Why was Hernandez trying to toss that chick form what looks like a solid 3 feet back from the pool's edge? He should have been much closer to the water. If she didn't fall head/shoulders first with her body bending at that angle like it did, she could have easily smashed her lower back/spine, coccyx, and her legs on the concrete, breaking something. And could you imagine if this chick had her legs get caught on Hernandez's back or head while being tossed? She probably would have splatted head first on the concrete.

This just solidifies my general dislike of Hernandez given that he couldn't even Border Toss a bikini model into a pool safely.

Once again - only wrestler ever to go to Mexico and come back worse - though he still does do a good splash off the top for a guy his size

[quote name='kodave']Don't show Lance Storm. He shits bricks over the use of that move.[/QUOTE]

His reasoning behind it is that it is impossible to take without smacking your head on the mat, which does seem to be the case nearly every time I've seen it used.

Wow this is pathetic. Is this one of the saddest story lines ever. unsafe workplace??? hahah when have they ever exemplified a safe work environment.

Im sorry to say but this is JUST as bad as a Russo story line.

Morrison's new shirt says "we're gonna eat your lunch."

And by "we're gonna" he means "let you" and by "eat your lunch" he means "fuck my girlfriend."

[quote name='Survivalism']Morrison's new shirt says "we're gonna eat your lunch."

And by "we're gonna" he means "let you" and by "eat your lunch" he means "fuck my girlfriend."[/QUOTE]

Great Scots! So we get to fuck Mileena? Score!

[quote name='integralsmatic']Great Scots! So we get to fuck Mileena? Score![/QUOTE]

I don't want whatever she's cooking down there.

[quote name='mykevermin']$45 for a PPV is fucking ridiculous in this day and age anyway.

What numbskulls keep buying them at all?[/QUOTE]

Late to the party as always but figured I would throw in.

If I can get a few friends together to order a show (6 - 7 most of the time) we might as well. At that point it is as cheap as a movie and we don't have to be silent the entire time. No one gave a fuck about HIAC so we skipped. Most of the time we will order the Rumble and Wrestlemania. This year we tossed in Money in the Bank, based on the Punk/Cena match alone that was worth it though.

[quote name='cdubb1605']Late to the party as always but figured I would throw in.

If I can get a few friends together to order a show (6 - 7 most of the time) we might as well. At that point it is as cheap as a movie and we don't have to be silent the entire time. No one gave a fuck about HIAC so we skipped. Most of the time we will order the Rumble and Wrestlemania. This year we tossed in Money in the Bank, based on the Punk/Cena match alone that was worth it though.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.

I get that w/ UFC with my friends. We'll watch them together and grill out, drink beer, and watch the fights.

WWE never even enters the discussion. They don't like it, they don't hate it, they just don't care in the slightest. My group of friends is the most dangerous thing to WWE: a demo who don't have them on their radar at all. "WWE? Yeah, that's the company that used to be WWF, right? I'm going to the fridge, who wants a beer?"

See, I kept picturing lonely, foolish hillbillies sitting and watching these WWE shows by themselves. I didn't see it being a collective thing for many anymore. If I'm wrong, that's well and good.

Wrestling isn't exciting anymore. When I was younger Raw was the highlight of Monday nights, but after the attitude era I just stopped caring.

It's a long-known thing, but finally watching again last night clued me in on a big thing I hate about the current product. It's sterile. After watching some WWE on Netflix, it's jarring to remember just how huge a part of the show the crowd was. Not audibly, but just their physical prescence. How goddamn close they were. Now even a front row seat looks like watching it on TV. No, really, just go back to things like the Stone Cold zamboni night... It looks like the ring is encased in a cocoon of people and signs. It really adds to the excitement.

Like I said, it's nothing new, but it fucking bugged me last night. Watching Henry walk down the aisle and seeing how much space there was on either side just looked weird. It's why that HHH speech annoyed me to no end last night... it used to be that fans were a big part of the show. Now it feels like the relationship is more 'show up and we'll put on a show IN FRONT of you, not with you. And you'd better take our fucking clues about booing and cheering.'

Sorry, rant. It was either that one or the one about how, weirdly, the 'union' was the good guys ten years ago. Way to be subtle, WWE. Sigh.

i was shocked everyone walked out on Triple H... did anyone see cena or punk or anyof the bigger names..

also what is up with all of the divas ... they had like 12 or 15 of them Yet you only see the same 6 on tv

I was sure this was setting up for the NOV PPV... where so many people form a team against triple h and then Triple H brings his team and whoever wins , wins control of the wwe

some crap storyline like that

Yeah it used to feel like the audience was a lot more involved. I remember how Bret Hart always picked out someone from the audience to give his shades to, that was awesome. Always wished I could be that kid back then.

Didn't watch Raw but I did read a recap. Ugh, I can't believe this is what the storyline has come to, a walkout. Even more painful than the dullness of a walkout is the transparency of where the storyline is going. Anyone who doesn't think Vince (or perhaps Stephanie) is the "higher power" is kidding themselves or much more optimistic about WWE's creative than I am.

At this point, we've made the whole show a vanity project for a guy who's never been a regular active wrestler in WWE (Johnny Ace) and a guy who's been semi-retired for 2 years.

The wrestlers aren't the stars, the office is.

If it turns out Howard Finkel is the higher power, then I'm interested for a moment.

The end of this story is transparent, an unfortunate arrival, and worst of all, the journey there is boring to boot. A phony vote of no confidence to install the evil leader back into power sucked as a plotline to Star Wars Episode I, and it still stinks today.

[quote name='mykevermin']If it turns out Howard Finkel is the higher power, then I'm interested for a moment.

The end of this story is transparent, an unfortunate arrival, and worst of all, the journey there is boring to boot. A phony vote of no confidence to install the evil leader back into power sucked as a plotline to Star Wars Episode I, and it still stinks today.[/QUOTE]

Add to the fact that Vince was upset his NAME WAS MENTIONED by ADR a few weeks back, and 2+2=4. A blind person could see that result and Stephanie or Johnny Ace or Shane are stupid end results. So then, who's left? No one.

Not only is it boring, but it's the A story. If this was a B-level side story, it'd be fine, but the issue is that it's the focal point of everything with ZERO wrestling involved. Even with Austin vs. McMahon there was a basis in actual matches that went along with it. HHH as COO is main events that are 30 minute talk-y segments. That's what kills this.

It's stupid, because it's going to get dragged out for another three weeks, then we'll find out who is involved and what team is fed to Cena/Rock/Hunter/Punk at Survivor Series. There's nothing interesting on the horizon. I mean, seriously, we potentially have a Survivor Series match in which Miz and Truth will go up against JOHN CENA, THE ROCK, and assumably TRIPLE H. That's just fucked up.

Also, I hated that they 'protected' their faces last night during the walkout. The lack of Orton was one thing, but the total absence of Cena and Punk, the two guys that got attacked, was ridiculous.

This entire storyline is a nice illustration of what WWE thinks fans care about. Digest that for a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back