The Xbox TV Thread

DestroVega

CAGiversary!
Full details are not announced, but it's coming for sure.

Xbox TV is Coming for Christmas

Share4
Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 10:00 AM ET
Tags: Xbox 360, Microsoft (all tags)
original.jpeg
Full details are still missing, but we'll certainly hear more before holiday shopping season starts!
In a conference last Wednesday, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer finally took the rumor of Xbox TV streaming and turned it into fact. We've been hearing a lot about this and more details are very hotly anticipated.

So what new details did we find out from the conference? Very little. We know that it's actually coming and we know that there will be "dozens or hundreds of additional video content suppliers," which could mean anything at launch.
This new service from Microsoft will likely replace traditional cable TV in many single TV homes, apartments and dorms, especially if it's priced well. One thing that hasn't been revealed yet is whether or not you'll be able to use the 360 as a DVR, which would make the whole thing that much more attractive.

A 360 as a DVR? :shock:

That would be bad for more than one reason, the big one being disk space. Secondly, how much more Swiss Army Knife work do we need done to the 360? It works well as a MCE receiver, though adding MCE functions to it doesn't sound like a good idea to me at all.

Non-US markets have something like this already (Sky in UK?). Would be curious what the Anglo CAGs think of the service.

Well if this costs anything extra I'll pass. Already paying for Gold, Netflix, and digital cable. Do I really need another streaming tv service? Especially when I can already download and stream any tv show I want to my xbox and ps3.

[quote name='praxus07']Well if this costs anything extra I'll pass. Already paying for Gold, Netflix, and digital cable. Do I really need another streaming tv service? Especially when I can already download and stream any tv show I want to my xbox and ps3.[/QUOTE]
Then you'll be passing, because there's no way in hell this is going to be free.

Mildly interested to see what they offer, though.

[quote name='praxus07']Well if this costs anything extra I'll pass. Already paying for Gold, Netflix, and digital cable. Do I really need another streaming tv service? Especially when I can already download and stream any tv show I want to my xbox and ps3.[/QUOTE]

I believe the idea is that this would replace Netflix or Digital Cable. I cannot do that though until someone starts streaming ALL local sports live. ESPN3 is nice; however, I can never cut my cable service at this point.

only thing is many cable providers have a limit(i get charged about 10 extra going over my 200 limit) and DVR. replacing cable still is going to be tough :)

bread's done
Back