The_Continental's TC #5. win a free sealed MvC2 (xbox) KAW WINS IT!(again)

The_Continental

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Winners thus far:

Cleaver - RE: Dead Aim (round 1)
Stealthy Seal - NOLF 2 (round 2)
Zewone - NOLF 2 (round 2)
Kaw - Roadkill and Enclave (Round 3)
Kaw - Bombastic (Round 4)
Kaw - Marvel vs. Capcom 2 xbox (round 5)

The fifth round of free game trivia is here. The first person to post a full correct answer will win a sealed copy of MvC 2 for the xbox.

5009.jpg

Question:

What is the literary connection between South African white racists and a 20th century Northern States reporter?

Remember - a full answer will include all names, references, etc...

Good luck.

That would be Joseph Lelyveld, former exec. ed. of the New York Times.
He was awarded the Pulitzer in '86 for his book about apartheid, Move Your Shadow.

Dude, Lelyveld was an exec, not a reporter. No dice.

also, a person is not a "literary connection" - pretty good try though.

[quote name='user']That would be Joseph Lelyveld, former exec. ed. of the New York Times.
He was awarded the Pulitzer in '86 for his book about apartheid, Move Your Shadow.[/quote]

Peter Abrahams is a South African born journalist who wrote one of the first novels on apartheid (Mine Boy).

He shares the same name with a popular American novelist [Peter Abrahams] who writes crime thrillers (Hard Rain, Lights Out, The Fan etc.). While I don't think he's ever been a reporter, he lives in Massachusetts.

The Fan was made into a movie, starring Wesley Snipes, who also starred in 2011's action blockbuster Blade 4: The Curse of Mandela's Mandible, in which a legion of Bantu vampires terrorize white Johannesburg *CLUCK-CLUCK-CHOMP*...

(...or maybe I've been playing too much Bloodrayne 2 :p)

apparently, the Blade franchise is going to continue without Snipes, and focus only on Hannibal King and Abigail Whistler.

go figure.

[quote name='user']Peter Abrahams is a South African born journalist who wrote one of the first novels on apartheid (Mine Boy).

He shares the same name with a popular American novelist [Peter Abrahams] who writes crime thrillers (Hard Rain, Lights Out, The Fan etc.). While I don't think he's ever been a reporter, he lives in Massachusetts.

The Fan was made into a movie, starring Wesley Snipes, who also starred in 2011's action blockbuster Blade 4: The Curse of Mandela's Mandible, in which a legion of Bantu vampires terrorize white Johannesburg *CLUCK-CLUCK-CHOMP*...

(...or maybe I've been playing too much Bloodrayne 2 :p)[/quote]

I will try again since there's little interest in this one, even though this is far too tenuous a connection to be what you're looking for:

Mumia Abu-Jamal was a well known Philadelphia journalist and radio reporter in the 70's, speaking out on police brutality & racism. He won the Peabody award and was elected president of the NABJ (National Association of Black Journalists) Philadelphia chapter. He shot a cop in '81, and has been weaseling out of electrocution since the 90's.

He was a prominent member of the Black Panther Party, as was Eldridge Cleaver, another non-militant black activist and author of the famous book of essays, Soul on Ice.

Carl Upchurch, a Philadelphia ghetto native who went on to lead the first national gang summit in Kansas, turned his life around in prison by reading the gamut of "angry black man" books (heavily influenced by Eldridge's Soul on Ice and Frederick Douglas's bio). He received his GED while incarcerated, then attended Earlham College via scholarship once released. It was there that Upchurch protested the school's funding by multi-national corporations that profited from apartheid, eventually getting Earlham's board of directors to adjust their corporate funding policy.

so that would be:
Philadelphia to Abu-Jamal to Black Panthers to Cleaver to Soul on Ice to Upchurch to Earlham to apartheid

(I admit, it's awfully weak, but I'm having a hard time coming up with anything else on my own without a clue)

Wow. That is a great answer. But that is a literal connection - not a literary connection.

As for a hint - all I can say is that there is a very strong clue in the question itself. Just like the last question, this is one you can't find on the Internet - but you'll be able to verify it there.

The ante has been upped to include Backyard Wrestling (PS2).

Also, Mumia Abu-Jamal is a motherfuc ker.

[quote name='user']I will try again since there's little interest in this one, even though this is far too tenuous a connection to be what you're looking for:

Mumia Abu-Jamal was a well known Philadelphia journalist and radio reporter in the 70's, speaking out on police brutality & racism. He won the Peabody award and was elected president of the NABJ (National Association of Black Journalists) Philadelphia chapter. He shot a cop in '81, and has been weaseling out of electrocution since the 90's.

He was a prominent member of the Black Panther Party, as was Eldridge Cleaver, another non-militant black activist and author of the famous book of essays, Soul on Ice.

Carl Upchurch, a Philadelphia ghetto native who went on to lead the first national gang summit in Kansas, turned his life around in prison by reading the gamut of "angry black man" books (heavily influenced by Eldridge's Soul on Ice and Frederick Douglas's bio). He received his GED while incarcerated, then attended Earlham College via scholarship once released. It was there that Upchurch protested the school's funding by multi-national corporations that profited from apartheid, eventually getting Earlham's board of directors to adjust their corporate funding policy.

so that would be:
Philadelphia to Abu-Jamal to Black Panthers to Cleaver to Soul on Ice to Upchurch to Earlham to apartheid

(I admit, it's awfully weak, but I'm having a hard time coming up with anything else on my own without a clue)[/quote]

I believe the reporter you're looking for is Samuel Clemens, better known under his literary/comedic nom de plume, Mark Twain.

n.s. While he did reside in NYC for much of his life (eventually being buried at Woodlawn alongisde Livy and his kids), aside from his monthy column for Galaxy (the NY lit. journal), most of his reporting was for the Virginia City Territorial Enterprise and the San Francisco Call, neither of which are related to the sixteen classic "northern states" east of the MS river: CT, IL, IN, MA, ME, MI, MN, NH, NJ, NY, PN, OH, PN, RI, VT, and WI.

(blah, blah, blah...I'll stop whining and get on with my guess.)

Now some of the greatest books I've ever read are on the banned books list, which are about a hundred or so titles certain libraries (most often those in public & religious schools) refuse to carry. Two of Twain's more prominent works will be on there until America falls...

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

...both because they include the word "n-i-g-g-e-r."
(n.b. Cheapy, your swear filter is cute, but censorship sucks ass. Besides, Night Trap is infinitely more revolting than the "n" word.)

One other notable book on that list is Kaffir Boy, the autobiography of tennis player, Mark Mathabane. "Kaffir" (two F's, not to be confused with the yogurt like beverage or the Arabic "kafir," meaning "denier/infidel") is the South African counterpart to North America's "n-i-g-g-e-r." It was used by white Afrikaner settlers as a derogatory term for native Africans (still used to this day under bated breath, even making the transition to pop culture zeitgeist via Kwaito, South African hip-hop music). Mathabane's Kaffir Boy was also placed on the banned books list because it included a racial slur in its title.

If that's not it, I give up.

to prevent ninjazation if I'm right, I'll add that Clemens sporadically voiced his negative opinions on apartheid via his sagacious yet cantakerous wit; and, [Johannes] Mathabane grew up in Alexandra, a black ghetto of Johannesburg, under this racist regime, detailing his experiences in Kaffir Boy.

"Where prejudice exists it always discolors our thoughts."
- Mark Twain

user,

I need to award you something out of pure effort - you've been working your ass off on this and deserve something.

That said, I suppose I need to drop another clue - by saying "literary connection," I am referring to a connection between those in literature, not those who create literature. That is - characters.

Now I think I've given too much away. Also the 2 clues you mentioned at the beginning of your post were right on the money.

[quote name='user']You know, when I first read this question I kept thinking "Northern States" was the clue since you capitalized it (or you could have been referring to Canada, Australia, Africa, the UK, et. al.)...

...but I believe the 20th (I am so daft!) century reporter you're looking for is Samuel Clemens, better known under his literary/comedic nom de plume, Mark Twain.

n.s. While he did reside in NYC for much of his life (eventually being buried at Woodlawn alongisde Livy and his kids), aside from his monthy column for Galaxy (the NY lit. journal), most of his reporting was for the Virginia City Territorial Enterprise and the San Francisco Call, neither of which are related to the sixteen classic "northern states" east of the MS river: CT, IL, IN, MA, ME, MI, MN, NH, NJ, NY, PN, OH, PN, RI, VT, and WI.

(blah, blah, blah...I'll stop whining and get on with my guess.)

Now some of the greatest books I've ever read are on the banned books list, which are about a hundred or so titles certain libraries (most often those in public & religious schools) refuse to carry. Two of Twain's more prominent works will be on there until America falls...

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

...both because they include the word "n-i-g-g-e-r."
(n.b. Cheapy, your swear filter is cute, but censorship sucks ass. Besides, Night Trap is infinitely more revolting than the "n" word.)

One other notable book on that list is Kaffir Boy, the autobiography of tennis player, Mark Mathabane. "Kaffir" (two F's, not to be confused with the yogurt like beverage or the Arabic "kafir," meaning "denier/infidel") is the South African counterpart to North America's "n-i-g-g-e-r." It was used by white Afrikaner settlers as a derogatory term for native Africans (still used to this day under bated breath, even making the transition to pop culture zeitgeist via Kwaito, South African hip-hop music). Mathabane's Kaffir Boy was also placed on the banned books list because it included a racial slur in its title.

If that's not it, I give up.[/quote]

damn, I was afraid of that...oh well, it was fun trying!

something, eh?

well, seeing as how I don't own a PS2, and you're probably saving MvsC2 & DOA:VB for harder contests (only two Xbox games on your list that I don't own), I have been trying mighty hard to get my hands on a copy of Splinter Cell for the cube (all the stores around me have awful GCN selections). I have it for the GBA & Xbox, but was I wondering how well the PDA interactivity worked (plus there are exclusive GBA missions you can ONLY unlock by linking the two up).

Sadly I don't have Contra: Shattered Soldier or Tales of Symphonia to trade with you. I know it's not my place to ask, but maybe you could find it in your heart to knock a few $$ off the price of SC for a fellow cheap ass?

Thanks for the words of encouragement, but I'm going out of town soon, and I don't see this lasting more than a few posts.

Maybe I'll catch you on the flipside in tC's TC #6 :)

Over the Rainbow by Craig Lock is a collection of vignettes about South Africa written from the perspective of a 20th century reporter.

look two posts ago.

[quote name='cleaver']Over the Rainbow by Craig Lock is a collection of vignettes about South Africa written from the perspective of a 20th century reporter.[/quote]

Continental I know this is a little off topic, but you should know your trivia contests are really appreciated & generous. It is people like you that make CAG a real community. I have no clu WTF the answer to this question is, but I just wanted to say that.
Please dont hug me

Thanks for your words Squirtle,

You give me a warm fuzzy. I guarantee however, that I've gotten a lot more from this community than I could ever return with these contests.

[quote name='big_squirtle']Continental I know this is a little off topic, but you should know your trivia contests are really appreciated & generous. It is people like you that make CAG a real community. I have no clu WTF the answer to this question is, but I just wanted to say that.
Please dont hug me[/quote]

No idea man, prolly has something to do with one of Mark Twains novels relating to a reporter, but Im stumped give us another question

Now, I thought I had an answer before you said, "those in literature."

George Samuel Schuyler was a reporter and rhode island native who lived from 1895 to 1977. He wrote Black No More which is a satire about a new procedure that can turn black men white. His Novel, Ethiopian Stories, contains two Novellas that concern "Ethiopia's struggle in the 1930s to liberate itself from Italian rule." One of the stories, "The Ethiopean Murder Msytery," does involve a fictional reporter in Harlem who tries to prove that a wealthy heiress did not murder an Ethiopian diplomat.

I believe that fits the bill.

Admiral, Ethiopia is nowhere near South Africa. Also, as I said in my earlier post, although authors are clearly involved - characters are much more important to the answer for this question.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Now, I thought I had an answer before you said, "those in literature."

George Samuel Schuyler was a reporter and rhode island native who lived from 1895 to 1977. He wrote Black No More which is a satire about a new procedure that can turn black men white. His Novel, Ethiopian Stories, contains two Novellas that concern "Ethiopia's struggle in the 1930s to liberate itself from Italian rule." One of the stories, "The Ethiopean Murder Msytery," does involve a fictional reporter in Harlem who tries to prove that a wealthy heiress did not murder an Ethiopian diplomat.

I believe that fits the bill.[/quote]

[quote name='The_Continental']Admiral, Ethiopia is nowhere near South Africa. Also, as I said in my earlier post, although authors are clearly involved - characters are much more important to the answer for this question.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Now, I thought I had an answer before you said, "those in literature."

I believe that fits the bill.[/quote][/quote]

Heh. Ethiopia is in Africa and that was my line of thinking. You actually want it based in the nation opf South Africa.

Yes sir.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar'][quote name='The_Continental']Admiral, Ethiopia is nowhere near South Africa. Also, as I said in my earlier post, although authors are clearly involved - characters are much more important to the answer for this question.

I believe that fits the bill.[/quote][/quote]

Heh. Ethiopia is in Africa and that was my line of thinking. You actually want it based in the nation opf South Africa.[/quote]

can't answer that question directly, but try me.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']And it has to be fiction? Because there are a ton of non fiction works that fit your bill.[/quote]

For example Joseph Lelyveld is a reporter for the New York Times that won a Pulitzer for his book Move Your Shadow: South Africa, Black and White. He spent several years in South Africa as a correspondent recording his observations.

My first thought was Rian Malan, until I remembered that he was out in LA as a rock&roll reporter. So not the right answer.

Still, his book 'My Traitor's Heart' is an excellent read for anyone looking to study apartheid in South Africa.

There's the old reporters joke that Americans don't want to hear about Africa let alone read about it.

It's also used for South America. And if you look at how international news covers these continents it's mostly true.

Alan Paton wrote (among many books) Cry, The Beloved Country, an amazing book concerning the apartheid in South Africa. This book was the basis for a Broadway piece adapted by (James) Maxwell Anderson, a man noted for many things among which was his work as reporter for the New Republic, the Evening Globe, and the Morning World, all based in New York.

Alan Stewart Paton (11th January 1903 - 12th April 1988), South African author and founder in 1953 of the South African Liberal Party, noted for his opposition to the Apartheid system. Among his works are Debbie Go Home (1961), Tales from a Troubled Land (1965) (short story collections), Cry, The Beloved Country (1948) and Too Late the Phalarope (1953). Cry, The Beloved Country was filmed twice (1951, 1995), and was the basis for the Broadway piece Lost in the Stars (adaptation by Maxwell Anderson, music by Kurt Weill).

(James) Maxwell Anderson (15 December 1888 - 28 February 1959) was a Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright, author, poet, reporter and lyricist, and a founding member of The Playwrights' Company (which included, at various times, Maxwell Anderson, S.N. Behrman, Elmer Rice, Robert E. Sherwood, Sidney Howard, Roger L. Stevens, John F. Wharton, and Kurt Weill), and produced many notable plays of the 20th century.

Mark Twain wrote the travel book "Following the Equator" which was published in 1897. In the book he makes repeated negative references to Cecil Rhodes, a British industrialist who amassed great power and wealth in South Africa. Cecil Rhodes was also a racist who at first came to South Africa as an adventurer and diamond-hunter. He gained great political power and his actions ultimately led to the Boer War in the Transvaal region. The excerpt from "Following the Equator" is called 'Cecil Rhodes' shark and his First Fortune'.

Hopefully that comes close...

In Lethal Weapon 2, Mel Gibson plays Marty Riggs and takes out a bunch of South African racists. In The Year of Living Dangerously, Mel plays Guy Hamilton, a 20th century journalist. Worth a shot...

In Smokescreen by Dick Francis the main character goes to South Africa to uncover some conspiracy involving racists and a TV reporter named Katya is injured in some accident meant for him.

Clemens is generally regarded as a 19th Century writer, with the great majority of his work and life in that century. Apartheid in the South African sense of a declared policy didn't exist in his lifetime. The earliest referenced use of the term was in 1917, seven years after Clemens' death, and did not come into common use until the 1948 victory of the National Party.

We're talkin' books here - not movies.

[quote name='cleaver']In Lethal Weapon 2, Mel Gibson plays Marty Riggs and takes out a bunch of South African racists. In The Year of Living Dangerously, Mel plays Guy Hamilton, a 20th century journalist. Worth a shot...[/quote]

Epobirs is one smart fella.

Remember - every single part of the question is important in some way.

It's starting to look like this is the MvC 2 question. If no one gets it by later on this weekend, the prize ante may actually be upped to something worthwhile.

[quote name='epobirs']Clemens is generally regarded as a 19th Century writer, with the great majority of his work and life in that century. Apartheid in the South African sense of a declared policy didn't exist in his lifetime. The earliest referenced use of the term was in 1917, seven years after Clemens' death, and did not come into common use until the 1948 victory of the National Party.[/quote]

For some reason I have a feeling the clue might have something to do with Mandela or the president who preceded him. I might be way off base, but I am goign to see what I can find on this.

The prize for this question has officially been upped to MvC 2 for the xbox. That game will remain the prize until about 9:00pm EST - when I come to my senses.

South African Dispatches by Donald Woods is told from the point of view of a white journalist whose criticisms of the apartheid policy grew markedly more severe up to the time of Biko's, a black leader, death at the hands of white racists. [/fingers crossed]

Okay then here we go:

Wickliffe Draper founder of Pioneer Fund who's main idea was Blacks were inferior funded many different programs that stated his racist beliefs. Wickliffe Draper permitted one of the original house organs of The Liberty Lobby, called American Mercury, to be published using his funding at 250 West 57th Street in New York City as the editorial offices during the early 1960's and also financed Frank C. Hanighen's reactionary publication called Human Events from Hanighen's Georgetown townhouse at 4745 Reservoir Road, Washington, D.C. during the period from 1944-1964, when Hanighen died.

Or it could be the racists bastards like Ben Klassen .of the Church of the Creator.

You just me if i'm on the right path please?

I don't think he's in the habit of giving nods, Logan...in fact I'm starting to enjoy how elusive our quizmaster is with his replies :)

while I'm stumped, T_C, here's another amusing connection I thought of while flipping through my DVD collection last night. I'm pretty sure this isn't what you're looking for, but it's a nice bit of trivia that fits the question...

Bob Woodward & Carl Bernstein are the Pullitzer Prize winning Washington Post reporters who collaborated on the book All the President's Men, a fictionalized account of the Watergate scandal. After the release of the movie version featuring Robert Redford & Dustin Hoffman (respectively), many people referred to the reporters as the singular "Woodstein" (which would be a 20th century reporter).

now a lesser known fact about the film is that the Publications Control Board of South Africa nearly banned it. they demanded dozens of bizarre cuts be made before it could be approved for wide release. this really pissed Redford off, and he supposedly threatened the SA government with a Hollywood boycott of ALL South African theaters for films made by American directors/producers. the movie ended up being released, unedited...

This was 1976; and, as we know now, the South African apartheid government was deep in the midst of its information scandal (SA equivalent to Watergate), the result of which caused Prime Minister John Vorster to resign in '78, being replaced by Botha, the Chief of Army. Regarding the censures, SA's apartheid regime didn't want to risk the public seeing the movie uncut and go on to investigate the administration in their own country, thus exposing the corruption amidst Department of Information (which is precisely what happened).

anyway, goodluck to everyone else, and kudos to whomever solves this puppy...hope you manage to get it before 9PM tonight!

bread's done
Back