Theoretical Achievements Questions and Discussion

Ispep Aloc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
(I was going to post this in the Rewards discussion, but thought it might be better outside. If it is supposed to be inside that discussion, I apologize and please move.)

With the announcement of the Xbox Rewards Program and the 30+ page post, I was wondering ....

How many people have played games that they would have normally not played to get achievement points? Did you enjoy that game? Would you play that game on another console? Would you play another game by that developer?

From recent experience, I would have never played Cars. I rented it this weekend just because it was said to be an easy 900-1000 points. I had little trouble getting 90% of the total points, with exception to the 20 postcards achievement, and I actually enjoyed the game.

The only thing achievements have really done for me is increased the time I spent doing tedious things in a game.

Like in Dead Rising, I spent 2 hours killing about 25,000 zombies to get the 54k achievement before I realized how stupid this is.

About playing games I didn't want to, the only one I did for the Rewards was Rally-X which was such a waste of 400 points, the game took literally 30 minutes for me to get 200/200 and I didn't have fun or see myself playing it again.

I think if done right achievements could add a lot of replay value to a game, but some are just stupid and not worth the effort and actually make you hate the game.

I've been considering beating NFS:MW again on my new Gamertag just to get the 2000 points or whatever it is.

I like COD2's achievments. Achievments that actually shine light on your ability as a gamer. Not stuff like GoW where it's just "keep playing Ranked games (which you hate) over and over again using a single weapon over and over and over and over again.

In all honesty, I like Madden's achievments way better than the shit that Epic came up with for GoW.

I played King Kong for the easy 1000 points. I picked it up for 13.50 at CC a couple weeks ago. It certainly was not Ubi's best effort. The Kong parts were okay, but the first-person spear chucking levels were way too repetitive. I can't decide which was more boring the game or the movie. If it wasn't for the easy points I would have definitely lost interest half-way through.

I also played GUN to get the rest of the points. I really enjoyed the game from beginning to end. Out of the two Old West games that came out in the last couple years, I still give the edge to Red Dead Revolver. It captured the whole Spaghetti Western feel and had one of the most memorable soundtracks of any game in recent memory. However, Both were really solid efforts, which leaves me wondering.. Why there aren't more Western themed games?

bread's done
Back