Think I might have just screwed up. Question on ebay rules.

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
83 (100%)
Well I figured id check Ebay real fast to see Wii prices and saw one going for $220 with free shipping. It only had a minute left so I quickly looked and saw the guy had 100% feedback and there was a pic of a Wii so I bid $260 really fast. Big mistake and something I should have known better then to do. Reading the descripition afterwards the guy makes it sound very questionable that this auction might just be for a Wii box not the actual system......again cant believe I did this and might be out some money. Im wondering if anyone knows the ebay rules on people who purposly make auctions vague to try and sucker people into buying something thinking its something else, the auction really was vague and even if it was from my fast mistake its one of those auctions where it really looked like a Wii on first glance.

Heres the link, again if anyone knows anything that might help appreciate it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nintendo-Wii-Ga...0QQihZ012QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ya he is just selling the box as far as I can tell (which is why you need to pay more attention). However he says in the title Wii Console so I think that would make him scamming in the eyes off ebay.

EDIT: I reported the auction

This is a tough call because the auction contains information for both the console and the box.

His description appears to be for the box, however, the information that is provided in the auction by Ebay is for the console.

"Additional Information about Nintendo Wii - Game console
Portions of this page Copyright 1997 - 2007 CNET Channel. All rights reserved.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Features[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Expansion Slots Total:[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 Nintendo GameCube Memory Card, 1 SD Memory Card[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Processor:[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IBM PowerPC[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Connections[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4 x game controller, Component video output, Composite video output, S-Video output[/FONT]"

As you can tell, the box wouldn't have those connections,

That being said, I can see Ebay going ether way on this, but you might have a case

yea you definitely just bought an empty box for $250. his is what everyone is looking for. A slightly used Wii container.... Hurry up and bid and get your box today.

You must not have bothered to read the auction at all.. anyway, since he includes this in the auction:

Additional Information about Nintendo Wii - Game console

Features
Expansion Slots Total: 2 Nintendo GameCube Memory Card, 1 SD Memory Card
Processor: IBM PowerPC

Connections
4 x game controller, Component video output, Composite video output, S-Video output

...he's required to send you just that.. a wii game console with expansion slots, ibm powerpc, etc. i remember seeing a court case where somebody tried to sell a "picture" or a game system, but also included that generic copy/paste information. the information that they pasted said that it weighed 5 pounds.. and clearly the photograph didn't weigh 5 pounds.. you get the point.

just don't pay this asshole and leave him negative feedback if he gives you negative. as far as falling for deceptive auction descriptions, i'm not sure

Ya the descrip made it look really really bad....but it said Wii Console and at the bottom of the page in additional information it has all the info of the console not just a box. Im hoping even if I screwed up I can get away with not paying this. Cant believe I did this...worse part about it is my fiancee just quit her job so I probally shouldnt have bought it anyways. Dont know what the hell possesed me.

Isn't there some rule where Ebay requires the systems to be sold with an actual photo, and not a stock?

Since he didn't, that would make this auction void?

[quote name='iamthekiller']yea you definitely just bought an empty box for $250. his is what everyone is looking for. A slightly used Wii container.... Hurry up and bid and get your box today.

You must not have bothered to read the auction at all.. anyway, since he includes this in the auction:

Additional Information about Nintendo Wii - Game console

Features

Connections
4 x game controller, Component video output, Composite video output, S-Video output

...he's required to send you just that.. a wii game console with expansion slots, ibm powerpc, etc. i remember seeing a court case where somebody tried to sell a "picture" or a game system, but also included that generic copy/paste information. the information that they pasted said that it weighed 5 pounds.. and clearly the photograph didn't weigh 5 pounds.. you get the point.

just don't pay this asshole and leave him negative feedback if he gives you negative. as far as falling for deceptive auction descriptions, i'm not sure[/QUOTE]

About what I figured, that its probally gonna be one of those taking a negative leaving a negative and nothing happans kinda things. More then anything im just dissapointed in myself for being this God damned stupid. Also a bit worried that this really is a Wii but its just in **** condition or has something wrong with it and then I really am just ****ed since im getting what was in the descrip...just broke.

[quote name='TheOne06']Isn't there some rule where Ebay requires the systems to be sold with an actual photo, and not a stock?

Since he didn't, that would make this auction void?[/QUOTE]

yes that is the rule, but he wasn't selling a system, just an empty box

[quote name='iamthekiller']yes that is the rule, but he wasn't selling a system, just an empty box[/quote]
That's not what the title says

"Nintendo Wii-Game "CONSOLE"

I don't know, I'm just trying to find some loop hole for the OP

your argument would still only be in favor of the seller then since there was no actual photo being used.

just don't pay. or better yet, send this guy an empty wallet that once contained $255

[quote name='iamthekiller']your argument would still only be in favor of the seller then since there was no actual photo being used.

just don't pay. or better yet, send this guy an empty wallet that once contained $255[/quote]

How's it in favor of the seller if it's not a real photo?

I'd email him through eBay just to confirm that it is the Wii console (obviously it isn't). Just tell him you are making sure since the title of the auction is for a Wii game console and the description CLEARLY states it is for a used Wii that includes accessories and games as bundled items.

That sucks you got scammed man. I'm surprised you haven't caught it though. There was only a short sentence to read lol. You must have wanted a Wii badly. Hopefully wubb will drop in with helpful advice because he seems to know the ins and outs of eBay.

[quote name='Kendro']I'd email him through eBay just to confirm that it is the Wii console (obviously it isn't). Just tell him you are making sure since the title of the auction is for a Wii game console and the description CLEARLY states it is for a used Wii that includes accessories and games as bundled items.

That sucks you got scammed man. I'm surprised you haven't caught it though. There was only a short sentence to read lol. You must have wanted a Wii badly. Hopefully wubb will drop in with helpful advice because he seems to know the ins and outs of eBay.[/QUOTE]

Thats pretty similar to what I said. I messaged him through ebay having a copy of my email sent to myself and I did that before I even posted here.

Hi, I am the winning bidder. I noticed your auction in the last minute it was up and got over excited and bid after only looking and seeing you had alot of positive feedback. Now when I look at your description I see that despite your title stating it was for a Wii console and the picture being of a Wii console and not a box it seems like you might have just been selling a box. This is starting to sound like a scam so before I send payment im wondering what exactly this auction is for? Is it a Wii with wii sports and other stuff or is it just for an empty box?

As for really wanting a Wii hehe ya I do. Like I said though when I noticed the auction it had under a min and a half left, by the time I logged in it was under a minute. I didnt have time to look at the description, I saw a pic of a Wii and good feedback and went for it.....was amazingly stupid and cant believe I did it myself...but it was a last 40 seconds kinda thing.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Another thing is that it says in the very bottom must pay within 8 hours. Iv never seen that before.[/QUOTE]

Damn 8 hours eh? At least most scammers give 24

Contact the seller! As a rule people are very reasonable. Offer a small compensation for the inconvenience (...$5...) and exchange positive feedback.

Scammed

People too often, confuse eBay stock descriptions and photos for the sellers actual listing. Its just product information eBay adds automatically when you list certain items.

A few weeks ago I sold my friends Wii and had to have my eBay name, and prrof of purchase in the pic

It does not look like a scam to me at all. The seller has relatively low feedback and shows signs of infrequent eBay use. It shouldn't be a problem. He obviously knows that a mistake has been made and is just hoping to collect $255.00 for corrugate.

heres what you do.,.. email ebay and have them remove the auction that way you wont have to pay for the item. For some off reason it is against ebay rules to sell consoles without the receipts as proof of ownership. (at least i remember this was the case when I sold a new one... may be slightly diffferent in your case, but since the descriptions vague id bet theyd oblige)

[quote name='-Phantom-']It does not look like a scam to me at all. The seller has relatively low feedback and shows signs of infrequent eBay use. It shouldn't be a problem. He obviously knows that a mistake has been made and is just hoping to collect $255.00 for corrugate.[/QUOTE]

this doesn't look like a scam to you? are you high? the seller had every intention on sending an empty box and walking away with $250

[quote name='iamthekiller']this doesn't look like a scam to you? are you high? the seller had every intention on sending an empty box and walking away with $250[/QUOTE]

Even if I was high, I could still clearly see that the buyer has every intention on sending a box. Hence, in my eyes, this does not qualify as a scam.

[quote name='-Phantom-']Even if I was high, I could still clearly see that the buyer has every intention on sending a box. Hence, in my eyes, this does not qualify as a scam.[/QUOTE]

i think you mean the seller sending a box...

but anyway - i can't comprehend that it's ok with you that the seller was going to send this guy an empty box for $255, and you don't qualify that as a scam. just because you receive SOMETHING, doesn't mean it's okay. theft by deception is still a scam.

Reported. When reporting, "Deceptive Title" is a valid choice, which is part of what is wrong with the auction. Being that, he is in violation.

[quote name='iamthekiller']i think you mean the seller sending a box...

but anyway - i can't comprehend that it's ok with you that the seller was going to send this guy an empty box for $255, and you don't qualify that as a scam. just because you receive SOMETHING, doesn't mean it's okay. theft by deception is still a scam.[/QUOTE]

I see you changed it from $250 to $255... Regardless, I'm saying the seller is retarded and the buyer made a mistake. Money makes little problems go away and I would choose the path of least resistance.

[quote name='-Phantom-']I see you changed it from $250 to $255... Regardless, I'm saying the seller is retarded and the buyer made a mistake. Money makes little problems go away and I would choose the path of least resistance.[/QUOTE]

yea.. i edited my post from $250 to $255 to reflect the actual auction's price.. you totally busted me.... ?

are you the seller of this auction? i can't think of any other reason for you to defend this situation. the seller was not being foolish. the seller clearly made a deceptive auction description and had every intention on ripping this guy off.

Basically I agree with what everybody else said, report it to ebay and don't pay. It's easy to figure out it's for a box now when you got more than one minute to check it out and you have been told it's for a box. That's what I hate about ebay, since a lot of auctions come down to the last minute or so, and scammers know a lot of people will only glance at the description.

[quote name='iamthekiller']yea.. i edited my post from $250 to $255 to reflect the actual auction's price.. you totally busted me.... ?

are you the seller of this auction? i can't think of any other reason for you to defend this situation. the seller was not being foolish. the seller clearly made a deceptive auction description and had every intention on ripping this guy off.[/QUOTE]

Yes, -Phantom- a.k.a. eBay Box Bandit

[quote name='-Phantom-']Yes, -Phantom- a.k.a. eBay Box Bandit[/QUOTE]

is this supposed to be a stab at witty sarcasm? i still don't see you having a point. it couldn't have been any more clear that this was a scam.

DAMN!!! iamthekiller, take a second, a couple deep breaths and chill. While I would hate to have this happen to me, I am glad it ISN'T me in this situation.

I hope MSI Magus can get a sensible solution to this and actually gets a chance to read the descriptions next time before just bidding.

Yah i agree with what iamthekiller is saying. Dont pay and recieve an item strike. if the people look at your feedback and looked at the item you did not pay for..and read that auction the same way..i think readers would undertand that neg feedback..anyway you have a case. no real picture,and payment in less than 8 hours. this is bogus to the S. You get 3 total unpaid strikes against you so you may hit your first one....everything will be fine MSI just as long as you didnt pay up.

Contact ebay and report him again - one of the local news stations did a story on this a while back, and ebay 'promised' to crack down on @ssholes like this. Maybe you'll get lucky and get him banned (at least this profile).

Good luck, man!

[quote name='pimpinc333']Take him to Judge Judy. Judge Judy Tore up a Scammer on one of here shows for scamming 2 ladies into buying a picture of Cell Phones. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJDK6ctRjqw[/QUOTE]

Seriously though. fuck eBay, they are gonna take the scammers side everytime. Take him to small claims court if he doesnt send teh Wii system. One, he advertised the actual Wii system (unless the box has the following options:

"Features

Connections
4 x game controller, Component video output, Composite video output, S-Video output"

There is also a law about getting what you pay for sort of thing. Where paying $300 for a box is not reasonable and you were mislead.

If you do sue him I would love if you took him to a tv judge so we can all see what this asswipe looks like.:D

:lol: The Judge Judy scammers were a little more deceptive than this guy. He does say clearly that it is a box. But I understand what happened with the OP and seeing it last minute and making a rash decision. However, one thing to consider, OP - if it had lasted a whole day (as that is the shortest he could have listed it for) and only had 1 minute left and was "too good to be true", then it probably was. The only deals you are going to get on eBay are from stupid sellers undervaluing real items - but you get those right AFTER they are listed, not towards the end of the auction.

You certainly have a claim with Judge Judy - she'd take one look at the MPN-provided pre-filled item info and side with you. However, I was laughing at her (as well as the scammer) for not knowing how eBay works. Like others have said, it isn't a cut and paste, but a pre-filled set of info when you sell certain items (like with games you put in the UPC and you get the full description). However, if you put in the UPC or manufacturer's part number (RVLSWC in this case) then that damn well better be what you are selling. You'd think these scammers would learn not to use those. If he left that part blank he'd have more of a case as it would more clearly be for a box. But then, you wouldn't have bid on it if he was *completely* up front about it (like, for example, putting 'box' in the title).

I mean, it is somewhat legitimate to sell a Wii box - maybe someone wants one for a used Wii they bought or something. But it should sell for $5 at most :lol:.

This reminds me of a PS3 auction I almost bid on back in January. The description looked to be one of those auctions loaded with 5 games and an extra controller. It was getting ready to end and it had only been bid up to about $600. I thought "wow this guy is gonna lose his ass on this one!" and wanted to bid for the extras (already had a PS3 but figured I could return mine). Throughout the whole listing he talked about how you got your choice of 5 games but then at the very end in very small print was the disclaimer. It said he could only include the extras if the auction hit $2000 or something like that. So naturally I didn't bid.

Generally if the price is too good to be true then it's a scammer. Either the auction info is legit but it's posted by a person with no feedback or it's something shady like selling the box.

You're probably going to have to bite the bullet on this one. Feedback doesn't mean a whole lot if you're a buyer anyway. In most cases, it only matters if you are a seller.

[quote name='sandman007']You're probably going to have to bite the bullet on this one. Feedback doesn't mean a whole lot if you're a buyer anyway. In most cases, it only matters if you are a seller.[/QUOTE]

Which is why he shouldn't worry about it. Chances are the guy will just let it go if you are nice about it - he won't want retaliatory negative feedback as a seller.

Really, OP, just do what a large percentage of eBay buyers do when they decide they don't want what they bought - simply don't pay. It happens a lot :lol:. (But in your case, obviously, it is justified). You won't be out any money whatsoever, and probably won't get negative feedback. The unpaid item strike (assuming he claims to get his closing fees back - and even then if you agree to not go through with the sale there is no strike) is no big deal unless you plan to get a few more soon.

Wait, hold up, the OP didn't even pay yet?

Why is this three pages again?

Just don't pay, at the worst you'll get negative feedback and a strike, and it will teach you not to bid without carefully reading through an auction description.

If you had already sent the money, that's a different story altogether, but from my understanding the OP didn't send the money, so what's the big deal? It's not like Ebay is going to force you to pay the seller.

Send him an email, say you're sorry you bid on the item, you thought it was something different, and that's it.

Just dont pay, and report it to ebay you may not even get a negative I have had something similar happen with a PS3. i reported it to ebay, didnt pay got some negative feedback but ebay lifted it after my complaint was confirmed.

bread's done
Back