ThinkGeek: Original Sega Dreamcast Console (OOS)

fakero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
ThinkGeek has more brand new Dreamcasts in stock!
Extra controllers available for $14.99 a pop.

ba52_sega_dreamcast_console_parts.jpg

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/games/ba52/

Use promo code PUZZLING for $10 off your purchase (of $40 or more).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='romeogbs19']
Jet Grind Radio --> Jet Set Radio Future for Xbox is better, trust me.
[/QUOTE]

Not only im i not going to trust you , no one should . You lost %100 credibility with this .

Well, I contacted ThinkGeek. They gave me a return label, and the like.

I was told that this is only the second one they've heard anything about. And that I will get first dibs on whenever the "new" shipments arrive.

I was looking it over before I sent it back. And the modem is really scratched to hell, all over the exposed portion. But it stops, miraculously right where the console itself begins. Which obviously (to me, anyway) means the modem has been swapped out, for whatever reason.

I will give ThinkGeek a chance to make this right before I choose to not shop there again. I can at least do that. I just want what was advertised. :p

damn, i wish my DC still worked! i used to do this...'trick' where i could get 2 DCs for one at gamestop. I ended up with 4 at one time. they all broke! i have one left still broken and in the closet. i really miss MvC2, alpha 3 dramatic battle and ikaruga! if i wait maybe there will be a better price drop because $100 is NOT a deal. i believe GS had them used for $15(or was it 20-30?) when i used to get em.

[quote name='whywakeup']Not only im i not going to trust you , no one should . You lost %100 credibility with this .[/QUOTE]

Whatever. Clearly, you don't understand the gist of the post -- it was meant for those who were on the fence and/or money-tight to know that buying a DC isn't worth it anymore, at least not for those few games that remain "exclusive". JGR was a great game, don't get me wrong, but buying a console for one game, regardless the cost, isn't for everyone.

I proposed substitutes that are "better" or essentially offer the "same" game -- and no offense, JGR is good but JGRF is better. The graphics and gameplay are more responsive and the camera (wow) is considerably improved. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to throw my DC controller b/c of JGR's camera. I admit the art style for JGRF was hit-or-miss (I preferred JGR's more colorful scheme) but JGRF was improved on almost every measure. Result? Better game.

And as for my cred, I have far more relevance in this industry than you ever need to know ;-) We all have opinions; some are just worth more than others ;-)

Say what you want, IMHO, JGRF is the improved sequel.

Cool, just ordered. Nice to see that the e-mail notification system works. (yes, aware that it isn't immediate)

That disclaimer about where they're from and the condition... is that new? It's possible that the problems discussed here weren't the only ones. Hey, at least I have faith in TG to rectify the problem.

I wonder if I was one of the 2 or 3 people that ThinKGeek admitted to having problems on some of the blogs. Lol.

Anyway, my replacement just shipped out, free of charge. I'd like to think they scrutinized mine extra well. :p

I must say ThinkGeek was a class act throughout my return/exchange process. If they deliver a new Dreamcast to me as advertised, my faith in them will be 100% restored.

[quote name='OmahGTP']I wonder if I was one of the 2 or 3 people that ThinKGeek admitted to having problems on some of the blogs. Lol.

Anyway, my replacement just shipped out, free of charge. I'd like to think they scrutinized mine extra well. :p

I must say ThinkGeek was a class act throughout my return/exchange process. If they deliver a new Dreamcast to me as advertised, my faith in them will be 100% restored.[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, I've always had excellent shopping experiences with ThinkGeek. It does look like, in this case, they're trying to go the extra mile for discrepancies in their products. Have y'all seen the updated order page? It now includes a disclaimer:

Dear Retro Gaming Enthusiasts
These Dreamcasts come from surplus stock sitting around in a warehouse in California. We do our best to make sure that each Dreamcast is new and unopened. However if you find yours to be in less than pristine condition, please notify us immediately and we will provide you with a replacement unit.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']damn, i wish my DC still worked! i used to do this...'trick' where i could get 2 DCs for one at gamestop. I ended up with 4 at one time. they all broke! i have one left still broken and in the closet. i really miss MvC2, alpha 3 dramatic battle and ikaruga! if i wait maybe there will be a better price drop because $100 is NOT a deal. i believe GS had them used for $15(or was it 20-30?) when i used to get em.[/QUOTE]

How the hell did you get 2 dreamcasts for the price of one?

[quote name='KhrevalBruuk']For what it's worth, I've always had excellent shopping experiences with ThinkGeek. It does look like, in this case, they're trying to go the extra mile for discrepancies in their products. Have y'all seen the updated order page? It now includes a disclaimer:

Dear Retro Gaming Enthusiasts
These Dreamcasts come from surplus stock sitting around in a warehouse in California. We do our best to make sure that each Dreamcast is new and unopened. However if you find yours to be in less than pristine condition, please notify us immediately and we will provide you with a replacement unit.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I noticed that, they had a article on it in joystiq.

[quote name='romeogbs19']

And as for my cred, I have far more relevance in this industry than you ever need to know ;-) We all have opinions; some are just worth more than others ;-)

[/QUOTE]

Ummm Hmmmmmm Suuurrreeeee .

Much to my surprise, mine was delivered this morning. Considering I ordered it Thursday I didn't expect it to arrive until Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

Not only did I get the Dreamcast (which was sealed in a plastic bag so it's clearly brand new), but it came bundled with three SEGA Sports titles: NFL 2K1, MLB 2K1, and NBA 2K1, all of which were shrink wrapped. :D

What else can I say? ThinkGeek is just flat out awesome!

These are pretty robust little consoles, albeit very loud. So buying a used one from a reputable seller is a possible substitute.

Ordered Thursday, got it today. Not bad, considering the holiday.

Just a heads up... the one I received is the same one a previous poster did:

dreamcast.jpg

So, it's not the exact one pictured on TG, but it *does* come with the three games, so that's a plus. Above all, unless there is one hell of a Dreamcast repacker somewhere, the console is brand new. Plus, a lot of it is what an earlier poster said... once you've opened enough consoles, you can tell the difference between new and used. There's just a 'new-ness' to the look of a console that is extremely tough to replicate after it's been used.

So, bottom-line... wherever these are coming from, they *are* new and they are getting different bundles, since I believe the first batch was the standard black DC box.

^^ Nice lil bonus to get the sports bundle. Damn shame it wasn't the black version though, as I always thought that model looked better with the exception of the hideous "Sega Sports" sticker spackled on the lid.

My friend got a replacement DC from Thinkgeek (his other one was used) and this one came with the Sega Sports box (3 Games), controller all sealed, but the console was worse than the one before it. I think he is going to try one more time and if the next one is used he is getting a refund....

Lucky for me I got a Black DC sealed :)

[quote name='J7.']How reliable are Dreamcasts? How long will they last? Are they hard to repair?[/QUOTE]

Unlike a fair number of consoles, the early dreamcast hardware seemed to be fairly high quality (made in Japan)...as things got worse for SEGA, so did the build quality on Dreamcasts...They shifted to making them in China and likely started using cheaper parts and folks seemed to have more problems with them...At the end of Dreamcast, when there were being phased out at Best Buy at $50, I bought 3 of them (2 as gifts, 1 to keep as a spare)...I ended up having to return two of them since they were DOA. While I haven't checked it in a year or so, my launch day Dreamcast seems to be going strong with no problems.

[quote name='K_G']Unlike a fair number of consoles, the early dreamcast hardware seemed to be fairly high quality (made in Japan)...as things got worse for SEGA, so did the build quality on Dreamcasts...They shifted to making them in China and likely started using cheaper parts and folks seemed to have more problems with them...At the end of Dreamcast, when there were being phased out at Best Buy at $50, I bought 3 of them (2 as gifts, 1 to keep as a spare)...I ended up having to return two of them since they were DOA. While I haven't checked it in a year or so, my launch day Dreamcast seems to be going strong with no problems.[/QUOTE]
Hmm so these black ones with the sports games included are probably late release DC's. So you'd be really better off if you got one without the 3 free games. Are they still selling the older ones or just these black ones now? Is there a way to check to see how old a given DC is, like do they have the manufacturing date on them like the 360 does?

[quote name='J7.']Hmm so these black ones with the sports games included are probably late release DC's. So you'd be really better off if you got one without the 3 free games. Are they still selling the older ones or just these black ones now? Is there a way to check to see how old a given DC is, like do they have the manufacturing date on them like the 360 does?[/QUOTE]

With something this old, I really don't know if you really have the option to get real picky with 'new' stock, although if you are picking through used stock, all things being equal, personally I'd go for Japanese made unit.

If these sports bundles come with black colored dreamcast systems, then I believe those came out 12-18 months before the end, if I remember correctly (although this was some time back, so I could be off a bit)...but then, closer to the end, they released a similar sports bundle that was simply a standard white dreamcast unit in the black/blue-ish box repacked with the 3 games inside and then slipped into thin outer box that said it was sports bundle.

These bundles are the second one you mentioned. Beige console, three games, thin box.

For what it's worth, though, I had two early (assumably Japanese, from what you said) DCs, and both crapped out on me with the 'soft reset' issue. Sure, they work... but I sure as hell can't chance playing any long-term game that doesn't save every few minutes.

[quote name='K_G']With something this old, I really don't know if you really have the option to get real picky with 'new' stock, although if you are picking through used stock, all things being equal, personally I'd go for Japanese made unit.

If these sports bundles come with black colored dreamcast systems, then I believe those came out 12-18 months before the end, if I remember correctly (although this was some time back, so I could be off a bit)...but then, closer to the end, they released a similar sports bundle that was simply a standard white dreamcast unit in the black/blue-ish box repacked with the 3 games inside and then slipped into thin outer box that said it was sports bundle.[/QUOTE]
I agree, I just was referring to knowing which models will probably be the most reliable, getting them is another matter of course. I don't remember why I said black, I think I was just referring to the color of the box I saw on the last page. I have a used DC with no decent games, barely ever used it, so I'm wondering whether I should look into a brand new one or not. Unfortunately, it's at a friends so I can't check to see how old it is right now, I don't know if it has a manufacturing date on it or not or how I would check its age.

Aren't these a bit cheaper than what Amazon was/is selling them for?

Anyway, I went ahead and got one. My current Dreamcast keeps resetting itself and swapping out the power supply didn't fix it.

bread's done
Back