thinking about a mitsubishi lancer oz.... any experience?

Steggy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
88 (100%)
Sorry for stealing this idea from the other car thread... but I am planning on picking up a new car this weekend ant it is down to a used lancer oz or honda civic

The lancer is a 2003 oz and has very low miles, however id like to know first...

anyone have experience with this car b4?

my cousin has that car. The OZ Rally Edition if im correct right? I have no experience with the car..but according to him..it drives well and its pretty smooth for a mitsu.

I like the new lancer...killer look with decent performance..something nice from mitsu for once....

What year is the Civic? you cant go wrong with that car at all..it does everything well...

[quote name='integralsmatic']my cousin has that car. The OZ Rally Edition if im correct right? I have no experience with the car..but according to him..it drives well and its pretty smooth for a mitsu.

I like the new lancer...killer look with decent performance..something nice from mitsu for once....

What year is the Civic? you cant go wrong with that car at all..it does everything well...[/quote]

mitsubishi puts out solid cars and used to have really nice designs. Can't stand their current designs for the most part, but the old body of the Galant and Lancer were really nice. The Galant was a very nice car and handled/droe well. It's actually considered a fairly popular/luxury car over in Europe/Mid-east.

Lancer is just a fun car to drive.

Seriously... ? You're joking right?

I remember when this came out and everyone wanted this one and I though... why? I mean the REAL evo will be coming here shortly after. Then a little later they made a wannabe evo body kit for these and I laughed my ass off.

But someone actually wants to consider one NOW?! bwahahahahha!

rts20011201ml00.jpg

lancerevo03.jpg

[quote name='VipFREAK']Seriously... ? You're joking right?

I remember when this came out and everyone wanted this one and I though... why? I mean the REAL evo will be coming here shortly after. Then a little later they made a wannabe evo body kit for these and I laughed my ass off.

But someone actually wants to consider one NOW?! bwahahahahha![/quote]

I'm not saying that I wouldn't like an EVO, but not everyone in America NEEDS (or can afford) an AWD turbo car. If he's considering a Civic, it's pretty obvious that he just wants to get to his destination in one piece.

OP, I'd take them for test drives and see which one you prefer. I had concidered a Lancer OZ when I was in the market a while ago and read some good reviews on it. Check out www.nctd.com. They do pretty good reviews on spedific year-models.

Well not everybody is a rich ass racer. A regular lancer is like what, around 17-18k while the EVO is around 30-35k+. Some people just want a car to you know, drive and get from point A to B.

[/quote]

A lot of cars out there now have 'racing' versions of itself. Not everyone wants one/can afford it.

I'm interested in getting a new audi a4 sometime in the near future. Why not get the S4 or RS4 you say? Because they cost 20 to 40k more than the A4.

see and the thing is the lancer is a family friend car so i know nothings wrong wiht it, low miles (22,000) and i can get a steal for 6,000 perfect condition.

The civic on the otherhand has 70,000 miles and costs almost double.

[quote name='Thongsy']Well not everybody is a rich ass racer. A regular lancer is like what, around 17-18k while the EVO is around 30-35k+. Some people just want a car to you know, drive and get from point A to B.[/quote]

For 30 grand you can find some low end European cars like I've seen a cheap C class. I know that you can find tons of used European cars for $30 grand and in top quality. My friend just bought a 2002 BMW 745 M with the custom M rims for 30 g's or so. Low mileage and the thing just kicks ass. You should hear it hum.

I'm saying there is a whole hell of a lot better or decent other choices than a wannabe EVO and... Civic. Even if you want to just get from point A to B.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']see and the thing is the lancer is a family friend car so i know nothings wrong wiht it, low miles (22,000) and i can get a steal for 6,000 perfect condition.

The civic on the otherhand has 70,000 miles and costs almost double.[/QUOTE]

seems like a no brainer to me

[quote name='VipFREAK']I'm saying there is a whole hell of a lot better or decent other choices than a wannabe EVO and... Civic. Even if you want to just get from point A to B.[/QUOTE]

yeah but price is huge...but then again..its like why arent all people driving camrys and instead driving ford fusions. Its personal taste. i like the Civic just as much as the next but if the Lancer fits the OPs needs and price range..than im all for the lancer...and its not really that bad..its just a budget lancer that gets the job done.

I would say its really a toss up. My girlfriend had an 03 lancer oz rally and she loved it, but ninju is right. Parts were not cheap and after the car hit around 70k miles the car started seeing some problems with the fuel pump and some other odds and ends.

The civic on the other hand is a great car but looks fugly. And seeing as the oz rally is about half the cost, it really seems like a no brainer and go with the oz rally.

Just keep in mind that the oz rally is not fast and I can assume you don't care about speed but just letting you know anyways.

[/QUOTE]

Any yet people still consider the evo when an STI can be had for less money and much better performance... so I guess it takes all kinds.

I have that exact same car, but there is one problem.......I have no fucking driver's license to drive the damn thing. I do have a permit, but I'm far away from home at college and won't get the chance to get it until May 08.

Anyway, my Dad normally drives it for now and it seems to be okay. I've driven it a bunch of times and it seems to be fine. Much easier to drive than other cars I have driven. Gas mileage on it isn't bad. I got it during June 07 for $10k (had 35k miles on it)

Here's a picture of mine, although I hate the color of it (I wanted a black car):
Lancer1.jpg

Lancer4.jpg

Lancer3.jpg

I didn't get an Evo because it was priced too high, and I don't need a fast car. I'm not much of a car person though (only want one to get from point A to point B).

Yeah, my Dad was deciding between the car I have or a Civic for me, but went with the Lancer partially because of the problems we had with our last Civic (Our Honda Accords were nice, but they are too difficult for beginners to drive. I tried driving my Mom's and struggled with it).

People tend to hate on the Lancer, so don't worry about the haters.

I was thinking about maybe getting a rally next summer. The problem with the EVO for me is that I can't really drive stick.

The only other normal Lancer I really like is the 08, so I may get that instead. We'll see.

Not to piggy bank on this thread (don't want to start another) but I'm new to this stuff. I'm getting my permit in a month or two and I'm thinking of a cheap starter car. I'm debating between manual and auto but leaning towards manual. My dad's uncle's son (I guess uncle?) was pushing me into the fast cars thingy scene.

Yes I am a noob at this and yes I've tried google and it's not god.

That is a pretty good price for the Lancer, however, I would save up your money to ditch that car around the 100K mark. Mitsubishi parts are expensive and are prone to multiple problems around the 100k mark.

Then again I am biased because my '94 Del Sol kicks ass.

[quote name='ninju D']Just remember OP, Mitsu replacement parts are not cheap.[/quote]

I wouldn't say they're too bad. It just depends on where you get them from. If you don't go through a dealer and find a good independent importer, then the price isn't too bad.

[quote name='nikelecious91']I'm debating between manual and auto but leaning towards manual. [/quote]

Manual = Men

Auto = boy

Proof? Corvettes come with autos. xD

[quote name='VipFREAK']Manual = Men

Auto = boy

Proof? Corvettes come with autos. xD[/QUOTE]

thats another thing... the lancer OZ is a manual and Ive never even attempted to drive a manual. I know everyones answer already will be biased since they drive stick... but what would you say the learning curve is on teaching yourself stick? Well, not myself... my dad knows so hell ride with me... but if I sit in a parking lot and practice for a couple hours would I be able to get the hang of it to get me from point A to B without stalling it. And an even more noob question, what exactly causes the stall???

The clutch will be the thing to focus on. The next thing is how much gas to give it before letting go of the clutch. It's that variation you have to get use to. As long as you don't make the engine detonate (chug) then it will be ok for the most part. If it does chug you're not giving it enough gas, if you stall it's because you let the clutch out too early. I learned on my own because I was getting no where with my dad.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']thats another thing... the lancer OZ is a manual and Ive never even attempted to drive a manual. I know everyones answer already will be biased since they drive stick... but what would you say the learning curve is on teaching yourself stick? Well, not myself... my dad knows so hell ride with me... but if I sit in a parking lot and practice for a couple hours would I be able to get the hang of it to get me from point A to B without stalling it. And an even more noob question, what exactly causes the stall???[/QUOTE]Hmm, my Lancer is Automatic. I thought it might have been the same as mine. I could never drive manually in my life, and I don't plan to ever try. Driving in automatic is already hard enough.

Just so everyone knows, Mana Knight is like 30 years old.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Any yet people still consider the evo when an STI can be had for less money and much better performance... so I guess it takes all kinds.[/QUOTE]
Word.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Hmm, my Lancer is Automatic. I thought it might have been the same as mine. I could never drive manually in my life, and I don't plan to ever try. Driving in automatic is already hard enough.[/QUOTE]

automatic is hard enough? What?

I say go with the Lancer for sure. It'll take some time, but there are definitely benefits to driving manual. Once you're used to it, driving becomes fun instead of a chore. This site walks you through the basics of just starting the car and getting it going. Over time, you'll figure out more advanced techniques like matching revs and hell-to-toe on your own.

IIRC, the OZ edition even has rally-style suspension, better brakes, and some other performance parts so it'll be a blast to drive.

Meh I kinda agree with TMK, it's not like driving a manual or auto is a life or death decision. Or it's going to impress anybody. Who does it matter to other than yourself. Unless you're some kind of racer or perfer it natually get an auto. And hopefully he meant it's hard enough because of all the stupid ass drivers on the road and driving a manual would be another thing to worry about, especially if the weather is bad and drivers always become worst when that happens.

I have one. It's a decent ride. Dependable transportation. I've had it 3 years and I'm still on my original Brake Pads and Rotors. Gas Mileage is good and fill up w/ todays gas prices is reasonable. Only issues I have is that it is very loud and taking hills seems to be a struggle for it. But overall, I am very pleased.

[quote name='Liquid 2']:rofl:[/QUOTE]I'm much younger than that.

Actually, the entire reasons why I don't have my license now are:
-Parents wouldn't let me have it around 16 because I was too irresponsible (H.S. is when I had time).
-As soon as I became older (like 18), I've been away at college and I've been very busy (rarely in my hometown, so no time to even practice).
-Due to all the new laws and regulations (especially dealing with illegal aliens and such), there's a problem with my birth certificate name and social security name not matching, so I have to get that fixed when I'm on a lengthy break.
-I can barely pass the vision test provided by the DMV (lol, I came very close to failing it when getting my permit).

Some may wonder how I get around. When I'm at home, I just have a family member take me somewhere (or just tag along, if I want to go somewhere). At college, I can take my bike to campus and some places (sidewalks are everywhere), take the bus (There's a bus that comes to my apartment complex every 30 minutes and goes to campus. Pretty much everyone takes it because parking on my campus sucks. As for other places, there are direct routes there), and sometimes walk.

I'm honestly more concerned about finishing college currently. Although it would suck getting a job somewhere far and have very little driving experience.

[quote name='Thongsy']Meh I kinda agree with TMK, it's not like driving a manual or auto is a life or death decision. Or it's going to impress anybody. Who does it matter to other than yourself. Unless you're some kind of racer or perfer it natually get an auto. And hopefully he meant it's hard enough because of all the stupid ass drivers on the road and driving a manual would be another thing to worry about, especially if the weather is bad and drivers always become worst when that happens.[/QUOTE]Yeah, it has nothing to do with getting the car to move that's hard, it's dealing with stupid drivers everywhere. The very fast time I drove out on a road, there was a guy riding my ass and I was going faster than the speed limit. I had to quickly turn-off into a neighborhood. I constantly see people not paying attention and doing other things, and my reaction time can be on the slow side. Especially where I live, people act like they've never driven on ice before, and everywhere you go, there is an accident (and we get snow/ice every year).

Well, I haven't tried parallel parking, which I have to learn before getting a license. I haven't tried driving at night, but I honestly can't due to difficulty seeing properly (my eyes are not good).

Yeah, I do recommend getting a Lancer over Civic though.

[quote name='reiji']I say go with the Lancer for sure. It'll take some time, but there are definitely benefits to driving manual. Once you're used to it, driving becomes fun instead of a chore. This site walks you through the basics of just starting the car and getting it going. Over time, you'll figure out more advanced techniques like matching revs and hell-to-toe on your own.

IIRC, the OZ edition even has rally-style suspension, better brakes, and some other performance parts so it'll be a blast to drive.[/QUOTE]

thx for the link man, ill give it a read when i return from class today!

bread's done
Back