Thinking about a PSP

maguszxz

CAGiversary!
I am in love with my DS Lite. But i'm going to talk about. I am looking into a PSP, mostly for long trips and waits. I would like to be waiting for work and classes and watch video and listen podcasts. So should a DS fan own two handhelds. I can let my DS hear because she might be jealous. So please reply politely and quietly.

I have both.
If you can afford it YES do it you wont regret it.
If your more on a budget and are fine with just the DS then dont.

Both systems are great don't depend on the upcomming bombardment of Fanboy comments, ie. PSP suck dont have any good games, DS sucks it has shitty graphics, etc.

I do think people should own all the current systems to enjoy all the different games, but it ultimately comes down to their budget.

I bought a DS in April of 2005 and love it. I'm a big Nintendo fan. I also bought a PSP Slim a week ago, and it's also a great system. they cater to two different audiences, but if you can afford it, both systems are worth it. For me, the cheap games were a gigantic selling point for the PSP.

I'm getting one as soon as the slim Piano Black model comes out. When the hell does that come out, anyway?

With R&C:SM and MGS:pO already out, and both the FFT remake and God of War right around the corner, I can't hold out any longer. My wallet is going to take a hard beating between now and the end of the year.

[quote name='Rocko']I bought a DS in June of 2006 and love it. I also bought a PSP Slim a few days ago, and it's also a great system. they cater to two different audiences, but if you can afford it, both systems are worth it. For me, the cheap games were a gigantic selling point for the PSP.[/QUOTE]

Modified to make it more truthful for me, but he pretty much nailed all the points I wanted to make

To further hammer out the cheapness of games, I went to Toys R Us with $65 (the cost of a new 360 game here plus tax) and snagged the following

Liberty City Stories - $10
Loco Roco - $20 (I know it could be gotten cheaper if I really searched, but I was lazy)
MGS: Portable Ops - $10
Wipeout - $10
Capcom Collection Reloaded - $10

[quote name='terribledeli']To further hammer out the cheapness of games, I went to Toys R Us with $65 (the cost of a new 360 game here plus tax) and snagged the following

Loco Roco - $20 (I know it could be gotten cheaper if I really searched, but I was lazy)
Wipeout - $10
Capcom Collection Reloaded - $10[/QUOTE]

Nice in terms of CCR and "Wipeout". Were either reprints?

I have a PSP and a DS and I love both equally. I love my PSP because it is more of an entertainment system then a gaming one. I always have my favourite South Park and Family Guy episodes downloaded on it plus some of my favourite songs or I can pop in my copy of GTA: Vice City Stories and have some fun there. I'll be selling my old PSP and getting the new slim one, so I highly suggest you to get that one.

I bought 12 PSP games prior to buying my PSP. I consider all of them, with the exception of Virtua Tennis World Tour, to be pretty quality titles. I paid no more than $15 for any of them except for Ratchet and Clank PSP, which I only paid $25 for.

[quote name='terribledeli']To further hammer out the cheapness of games, I went to Toys R Us with $65 (the cost of a new 360 game here plus tax) and snagged the following

Wipeout - $10
Capcom Collection Reloaded - $10[/QUOTE]
When did you get them at those prices? I went to TRU this past Tuesday and bought MGS: Portable Ops for $19.99.

Terribledeli said a new 360 game costs $65, so I'm thinking he/she might not live in the USA.

Oh, wait. Unless they meant the $65 is after tax.

I have both as well. DSL for about a year, PSP fat for about 6 months. I like what both have to offer. Get them both if you can.

As mentioned above, cheap and great looking games on the PSP. More must have titles than general consensus says.

DS has Mario, PW series, Brain Age and knockoffs, Trauma Center, Zelda, FF (for the moment), DQ and the bright dual screens.

I think I have about the same amount of games for both systems, about a dozen each. No bad ones based on recommendations here. Don't have time for marginal/average titles.

My nitpicks on DS: small screens, developers still trying to figure out how to make good use of the touchscreen and mic (there are some good titles but my observation is a general one). Diagonal movement of dpad is bad.

My nitpicks on PSP: noisy UMD, load times, battery life, weird dpad (don't use it at all), screen brightness. It washes out in daytime car environment whereas the DS is bright enough to play in the same environment as long as the screen is not in direct sunlight.

Note that these are my experiences and as always, YMMV.

[quote name='redline']When did you get them at those prices? I went to TRU this past Tuesday and bought MGS: Ops for $19.99.[/quote]

I went to TRU today in Gaithersburg, MD. They had NOTHING, everything was full priced and none of the ones listed were in stock.

I'm in Louisiana actually. With the 9% tax rate locally, 360 games come out to about $65. Sorry for not clarifying earlier.

The local Toys R Us rarely updates their pricing on the shelf. For some completely backwards reason, we're still using the ticket system. I guess the current (and past for that matter) R Zone staff is just too lazy to update the prices.

I was in there Monday and noticed a bin with MegaMan Powered Up for $9.90, Ultimate Ghosts N Goblins for $8.50 and Me and My Katamari for $16.98 (Which later scanned for $8.50). I hadn't been by this store since I picked up my 360 in February 2006, so I decided to see if there were just as lazy.

And they were. Loco was labelled $29.99, MGS was $39.99, LCS was $19.98, Capcom Reloaded was $29.99, and Wipeout was $19.98.

The craziest part is the Greatest Hits titles (LCS and Wipeout) were the original releases. I figure that means no one bought either of those in atleast 6-12 months.

I nearly bought a copy of MGS from Best Buy for $40 earlier today, but I'm sure as shit glad I checked Toys R Us first.

Yeah, TRU items will be marked down in the computer, make sure to get them scanned. I grabbed Loco Roco and FFIII DS last time I went, and both were marked full price.

[quote name='Rocko']Yeah, TRU items will be marked down in the computer, make sure to get them scanned. I grabbed Loco Roco and FFIII DS last time I went, and both were marked full price.[/QUOTE]The ticket or the actual game scanned? The pickup ticket has a fixed price, right?

Good thread, thanks OP.

I was a vehement PSP hater for a number of reasons. Now i want one after the kingdom hearts announcement. I'm interested in:

FF7:CC
MGS PO +
Castlevania
Capcom collections
UG&G
and Gitaroo man

I have both and I love it. Having both is just an all around good choice. You get the best of both worlds. Honestly, me personally, I need both. If I had just a PSP, or just a DS, I would feel like I'm missing out.

PSP has a lot of really fun games you can pick up cheap. You can get RSS feeds and download the Cag cast or other video podcasts very easy. There are a lot of fun online games I've played for hours (PO and SPDM, I'm sure there's more).

You won't regret your purchase if you decide to pick one up.

My biggest PSP complaint is the horrible video support. If you don't want to buy UMDs, you're stuck with converting, weird file-naming, lack of storage space, ect.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']My biggest PSP complaint is the horrible video support. If you don't want to buy UMDs, you're stuck with converting, weird file-naming, lack of storage space, ect.[/QUOTE]

I think UMD movies aren't being supported like before by companies, mainly because of the high cost of UMD movies. Remember when the PSP first came out and all those UMD movies were like $20+ each?

[quote name='LancerEvoX']I think UMD movies aren't being supported like before by companies, mainly because of the high cost of UMD movies. Remember when the PSP first came out and all those UMD movies were like $20+ each?[/quote]

Depending on where you look, they still are that price. Especially new ones. :whistle2:(

I've always thought, and so far I'd like to think I've been correct, that the only way to make the UMD media worth buying is to price it at a comparative standpoint to the same DVD (i.e. a little cheaper since most UMDs lack the extras that the DVDs come with), and also release a stand-alone UMD movie player besides the PSP.

bread's done
Back