Thinking about selling all my wii stuff for a ps3, need advice

braut

CAG Veteran
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hi, I have had my wii for about 2 months now. I was so excited when i first got it 2months ago when it was still rare to find in stores, but now that i have played most of the big hit titles, im finding my self rather bored with the wii, surprisingly. (for those who are gonna flame or talk trash, please save it cause you can find something better to do with your time). I already played mario galaxy, brawl, mario kart, and i recently bought some gamecube games that i use to play in middle school. After beating galaxy and playing brawl, and mario kart with my friends and all, its getting boring to me. I can say that the only game that REALLy blew me away was mario galaxy... I mean lets face it, the wii is filled with a bunch of crap third party titles for the most part and there are basically NO big hit releases coming up. nintendo seems to be losing their edge to me..

Now i am thinking about selling me wii and all the games and saving up for a ps3, cause i find their games and content a lot more interesting, especially with the upcoming release of mgs4 and gt5 later on. i need some opinions.

Also i would need your help on whats the best way to sell my lot.

Wii console w/ 1yr warranty =
- Mario Kart wii-
- Mario Galaxy
-Mario Strikers
-Wii component Cables
-Extra wii Controller
- mario galaxy guide

GC
Paper mario
Pikmin
Wind waker
metroid prime echoes
viewtiful joe 1 & 2
gc 251 card
mario sunshine

If you want to play MGS4 and GT5 and want to sell the Wii to do it, then by all means go ahead. Shouldn't have any trouble finding a buyer and most likely will retain most of the full value.

The only thing I'll mention is that the roster for the second half of the year for the Wii lacks any big names from Nintendo directly, meaning that they are going to reveal them soon. However, if none of those titles are appealing to you - and chances are high they'll be franchise titles like Star Fox, Animal Crossing, and Kirby - then it's not going to change your mind.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

[quote name='Blitz']You think the Wii is boring wait until you get a load of the crap that the PS3 has.[/QUOTE]

Please, the amount of "crap" you so call it on the PS3 is not even comparable to the ones on the Wii. At least there are lots of titles on the PS3 that makes you naturally ignore the "crap".

Best of luck to you selling your Wii, OP. If anyone's going to sell their Wii, it's now the time before it gets replenished to every store.

Hm, I'd try using CraigsList or something to try to find someone in a similar position with a PS3 and trade. I've had a PS3 for a while now and not a single PS3 game has graced the inside of the console. Love my Wii and 360 to death, PS3 is mainly there as a BR player.

The PS3 isn't exactly a ripe field of AAA games. Your going to run into the same wall after you play about 3 games on the PS3 that you've hit with the Wii.

Any interest in a 360? There's probably more AAA stuff to play on there if you've missed it than elsewhere.

Really, I'd keep the hardware, sell off the games, and get a PS3 and that way you're set for games that come out that you want on either platform.

I sold my Wii to get a PS3. My situation might be a bit different though because my Wii with games sold for $400 and I managed to get a new 80 GB PS3 for $400. I have absolutely no regrets. I wanted GT5 (Prologue) and MGS4 like you. MGS4 online is awesome and I can't wait for the game to release. I would try to sell it on Craigslist or Ebay if you don't mind the fees.

I'd probably say eBay as more than likely you might get a pretty good offer for all that. I still don't find the PS3 all that appealing but then again the games you are interested in just don't call my attention (except perhaps MGS4...and who knows if that truly will remain exclusive).

Still, if that is your choice, you definitely will be enjoying it for some time. I never had any experience with Craigslist that is why I prefer eBay

op-
sounds like buyer's remorse, metal gear and gran turismo are experiences that won't be on the wii- but do you want to play them because you have played the previous games in the series or because they look good? Do you have a ps2 and/or are you interested in the large backlist of awesome ps2 titles?
If you have made up your choice- I would put a $500 value on everything
If you are still on the fence, the following wii titles are really good-
okami, no more heroes, twilight princess, boom blox, re: 4, metroid prime

I'd say sell it and get a PS3. PS3 is a great console and is definitely the best option IMO (it's by far my most played platform).

Definitely get Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank: ToD (two of the best next gen games IMO).
[quote name='daroga']The PS3 isn't exactly a ripe field of AAA games.[/quote]I disagree greatly.
Your going to run into the same wall after you play about 3 games on the PS3 that you've hit with the Wii.
There are more than 3 great games on PS3 now and there are several great ones in the near future. Also, if he doesn't own a 360, there are TONS of great multi-platform games on PS3 that cannot be found on Wii (Burnout Paradise, CoD4, Devil May Cry 4, GTAIV, Rock Band, etc.). Most people seem to forget these wonderful multi-platform games on PS3 figuring the 360 is the ONLY platform to buy them on. :roll:

Any interest in a 360? There's probably more AAA stuff to play on there if you've missed it than elsewhere.
Most all the great games on 360 are on PS3 now too (except a few earlier games like Halo 3, Gears of War, Bioshock, and Mass Effect, but then again PS3 has games).

Really, I'd keep the hardware, sell off the games, and get a PS3 and that way you're set for games that come out that you want on either platform.
That does make the most sense and I agree there; however, some people cannot afford all and in my current situation, I seriously cannot play all platforms.

The best point is the one that strell made in regards to the Wii not losing its value. So you don't have to rush. Try to use GS when they have those extra 10% trade in deals, or the extra trade in deals for consoles as well.

GS is the easiest route, however, Craigslist might be your best option and you probably can make more money.

Easy Mana, easy. I wasn't bashing the system. If he's already tired of the Wii's offerings, he's not likely to be really fulfilled with the PS3's offerings either.

I have all three and play all three in cycles.

However I do feel that having all three is a bit excessive and I could probably do without either my 360 or PS3. But I can afford not to.

If you can afford it, just save up for a PS3. Who knows, by the time you have the cash there may be a price drop. Current PS3 titles will also be cheaper (or easy to find on clearance)... and best of all you will have no regrets.

If you want to sell it, go ahead. Though, if you are selling, though no rush, I wouldn't wait too long. At some point, Nintendo will saturate the market, and then you won't be getting close to full value. It could happen rather quickly too (one day, no Wii's, next they are everywhere, that's pretty much what happened with every system other than the Wii throughout the last 15 years).

I'd only think quickly. Is the PS3 really a long term solution, or is it 2-3 games, and then you'll be bored with it? You don't want to keep selling systems after a few months for a different one, you won't be burned with the Wii badly, but you can lose lots of money going this route.

[quote name='daroga']Easy Mana, easy. I wasn't bashing the system. If he's already tired of the Wii's offerings, he's not likely to be really fulfilled with the PS3's offerings either.[/QUOTE]

There's definitely more for the "gamer" on PS3 than there is for the Wii. MGS4 or Wii fit - I know Wii fit is the shiznit, but its got no action... Man needs action!

Couldn't disagree with you more, Thomas. If you think Wii Fit embodies the whole of gaming options on the Wii, I don't know what to tell you. But, of course, you're entitled to your opinion.

[quote name='daroga']Easy Mana, easy. I wasn't bashing the system. If he's already tired of the Wii's offerings, he's not likely to be really fulfilled with the PS3's offerings either.[/QUOTE]I know, I was just disagreeing with you there, that's all. I only had the rolleyes on one comment I made, because that's something way too many seem to assume. ;)
[quote name='daroga']Couldn't disagree with you more, Thomas. If you think Wii Fit embodies the whole of gaming options on the Wii, I don't know what to tell you. But, of course, you're entitled to your opinion.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you there because I enjoy Mario Kart Wii, and others on Wii. Wii Fit may be different, but Wii does have great games.

[quote name='daroga']Couldn't disagree with you more, Thomas. If you think Wii Fit embodies the whole of gaming options on the Wii, I don't know what to tell you. But, of course, you're entitled to your opinion.[/QUOTE]

I know its more than Wiifit, but when i think about the Wii and their gamers they miss out on some games, like assassin's creed, Call of Duty 4, Burnout., GTA IV... The Wii is missing out on a lot of Multiplatform games. l

[quote name='Thomas96']I know its more than Wiifit, but when i think about the Wii and their gamers they miss out on some games, like assassin's creed, Call of Duty 4, Burnout., some of these next gen games Wii owners miss out on. GTA IV... The Wii is missing out on a lot of Multiplatform games.[/quote]Sure, and people without a Wii are missing out on Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Kart, Brawl, No More Heroes, etc. all of which, in my opinion, are superior to most of the games that could be set forth as the "best" games on either the 360 or PS3.

But, this whole thing is a thread derail. The OP is going to be bored with a PS3 as quickly as he was with the Wii. I think you're gonna get buyer's remorse either way, sadly.

Yeah, the major issue with the PS3 is that it's got MGS4 coming out, and then... nothing for a loooong time. Hell, I don't even know when the next decent game is supposed to come out for that thing.

I'd do craig's list. Easier to sell locally than dealing with shipping, ebay fees etc.

As for the decision, I say go for it. I ditched mine after getting a 360 as I just wasn't touching it and didn't see much on the horizon that interested me since I'd already played Mario, Metroid and Zelda which are really the only Nintendo franchises I like.

And I disagree with daroga who said you'd get bored with a PS3 just as quickly as you did the Wii. While that could be true if your interest in gaming is waning, it doesn't have to be the case. I was bored as shit with the Wii and since getting a 360 I've done more gaming than I've done in years as I found that I enjoyed shooters, HD graphics and online gaming a ton more than what the Wii had to offer. You may do the same with the PS3 if you find it's games more to your liking.

I would say to give the 360 a glance too...unless you really want a blu ray player. Compare exclusive games on both and make your decision based on which has more that you want to play.

There might be a temporary spike in Wii prices depending on just how crazy the launch of Wii Fit is.

I say wait another week or so then look at pulling the trigger then.

[quote name='daroga']Sure, and people without a Wii are missing out on Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Kart, Brawl, No More Heroes, etc. all of which, in my opinion, are superior to most of the games that could be set forth as the "best" games on either the 360 or PS3.

But, this whole thing is a thread derail. The OP is going to be bored with a PS3 as quickly as he was with the Wii. I think you're gonna get buyer's remorse either way, sadly.[/QUOTE]

PS3 owners, are not missing out on games in the FPS, Racing and action, genres (or any other) Even if those games you mentioned were the best in their respective genres (which they are not, well maybe Mario Galaxy.. I'm not sure) you miss out on all the other games in those genres that are being released on PS3 that are good and worth playing. Missing games, and improved graphics....

The wii is good, I'm not putting it down, however, Nintendo has went in a different direction, and with a different consumer. Nintendo has not got their bases covered in regards of pleasing the traditional gamer consumer.

Sony has their bases covered with good games, and I don't think that anyone could be bored w/ the PS3 and their current set of games. Plus PS2 games and its library (assuming you get 60gb, or 80gb PS3).

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']There might be a temporary spike in Wii prices depending on just how crazy the launch of Wii Fit is.

I say wait another week or so then look at pulling the trigger then.[/QUOTE]

Good Call.

OP...I'd say just try and look past the few games you want now (MGS4 GT5). If the PS3 lines up with your tastes then you shouldn't have any remorse. I think a lot of people only see the here and now and fail to look at the big picture when it comes to consoles.

getting back on topic these are some of the PS3 releases this year After MGS4...

Star Wars: force unleashed
Soul Calibur 4
Mercenaires 2
Socom Confrontation
Resistance 2
Madden 09
Lego Indiana Jones
Battlefield Bad company

except for Lego Indiana Jones which is out on June 3rd I believe.

Thanks for all your comments. yeaa i agree though that i could get buyers remorse by getting the ps3 as well, this happened to me before. I mean besides all the remakes nintendo has made, im not all to psyched out about nintendos upcoming line up. i mean i like nintendo and all but im not gonna force myself to like remakes of games that are 20 years old. i want something new already..

Have you looked into a 360, braut? That might be a more affordable, overall better purchase. Unless you've got the desire for Blu-Ray, in which case the PS3 is about as good as they come.

[quote name='braut']Thanks for all your comments. yeaa i agree though that i could get buyers remorse by getting the ps3 as well, this happened to me before. I mean besides all the remakes nintendo has made, im not all to psyched out about nintendos upcoming line up. i mean i like nintendo and all but im not gonna force myself to like remakes of games that are 20 years old. i want something new already..[/QUOTE]

Bingo. I'm thinking about selling my Wii just because of all the rehashes. Nintendo is really shooting themselves in the foot. Brawl is the only game I have for it, and it has sat untouched for weeks now. Plus, my room is just not ideal for the suggested Wii set-up. I play games on my bed about 8 or 9 feet away from a 30" CRT; you can imagine how much that detracts from the experience. I'm gonna take the cash and get me a Roland 303. :p

[quote name='Thomas96']PS3 owners, are not missing out on games in the FPS, Racing and action, genres (or any other) Even if those games you mentioned were the best in their respective genres (which they are not, well maybe Mario Galaxy.. I'm not sure) you miss out on all the other games in those genres that are being released on PS3 that are good and worth playing.
[/QUOTE]

This is pointless fanboy nonsense....

Unless you own all three systems, you are of course missing out on exclusive games on the console(s) you don't own..

If one can't, or doesn't want to, own all three then the best one can do is decide which has the most "can't miss" exclusive games for them personally. It will vary from person to person on which system should be one's top priority.

For me it's the 360 based on it's games, for you it's the PS3 based on it's games etc., and for other's like daroga the Wii has the most exclusive stuff that floats there boat.

No need to debate which is best in terms of having can't miss games as that will vary from person to person as it's totally subjective. Besides, despite the thread title the OP sounds like he's already decided to ditch the Wii and get a PS3 and really just wanted advice on the best way to sell all his Wii and GC stuff.

I'm only keeping my Wii for imports myself at this point, if you're bored with it move on to something you'll play. PS3 has some good titles, and worse comes to worse you could play some ps2 stuff.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Bingo. I'm thinking about selling my Wii just because of all the rehashes. Nintendo is really shooting themselves in the foot. Brawl is the only game I have for it, and it has sat untouched for weeks now. Plus, my room is just not ideal for the suggested Wii set-up. I play games on my bed about 8 or 9 feet away from a 30" CRT; you can imagine how much that detracts from the experience. I'm gonna take the cash and get me a Roland 303. :p[/QUOTE]Try Mario Kart Wii if you liked Mario Kart before, before you sell. ;)

[quote name='InuFaye']Do it.

Don't keep shit you don't want.[/QUOTE]I agree. When I hear people in forums complain about their 360, PS3, Wii, or whatever not having X thing (or nothing having enough of something), I tell them to sell it now and stop complaining. Don't keep stuff that doesn't make you happy.
[quote name='daroga']Have you looked into a 360, braut? That might be a more affordable, overall better purchase. [/QUOTE]It may be cheaper, but it also has more failures and lacks many things PS3 comes with. Overall, PS3 is more bang for your buck.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
Overall, PS3 is more bang for your buck.[/QUOTE]

If they care about blu ray and like the PS3's exclusives more than the 360s.

Don't state opinion like fact. Pet peeve of mine.

[quote name='dmaul1114']This is pointless fanboy nonsense....

Unless you own all three systems, you are of course missing out on exclusive games on the console(s) you don't own..

If one can't, or doesn't want to, own all three then the best one can do is decide which has the most "can't miss" exclusive games for them personally. It will vary from person to person on which system should be one's top priority.

For me it's the 360 based on it's games, for you it's the PS3 based on it's games etc., and for other's like daroga the Wii has the most exclusive stuff that floats there boat.

No need to debate which is best in terms of having can't miss games as that will vary from person to person as it's totally subjective. Besides, despite the thread title the OP sounds like he's already decided to ditch the Wii and get a PS3 and really just wanted advice on the best way to sell all his Wii and GC stuff.[/QUOTE]

I like the PS3 set of games, better than the Wii's because there's more variety. I don't think gamers are willing to trade in Burnout, GTA IV, Call of Duty 4, Assassin's creed, (and many more) for Nintendo's regular set of nintendo games, and a couple of other gems on the Wii console. I know there's people that love the Wii and may use the Wii as their main system, but unless they have a love for mario and friends, I think its better to own a PS3 or 360 because of their great set of 3rd party games, and both systems have great exclusives. Of course... to each his own.

[quote name='dmaul1114']If they care about blu ray and like the PS3's exclusives more than the 360s.[/QUOTE]I rarely use my blu-ray player on PS3 (although I'm very glad games are using the blu-ray format since I dislike disc changing) yet I still find it the better deal personally.
[quote name='Thomas96']I like the PS3 set of games, better than the Wii's because there's more variety. I don't think gamers are willing to trade in Burnout, GTA IV, Call of Duty 4, Assassin's creed, (and many more) for Nintendo's regular set of nintendo games, and a couple of other gems on the Wii console. I know there's people that love the Wii and may use the Wii as their main system, but unless they have a love for mario and friends, I think its better to own a PS3 or 360 because of their great set of 3rd party games, and both systems have great exclusives. Of course... to each his own.[/QUOTE]I pretty much agree there.

My Wii has the fewest games out of all my consoles, but I'm really only using it for Super Mario, Mario Kart, etc. along with the occassional third party exclusive like Tales of Symphonia 2 and NiGHTs: JoD. The bulk of my support goes to PS3/360.

[quote name='Thomas96'] Of course... to each his own.[/QUOTE]

That's all I'm saying. I hated the Wii and ditched it. By I know others love it and hate stuff like GTA, CoD4 etc. etc.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I rarely use my blu-ray player on PS3 (although I'm very glad games are using the blu-ray format since I dislike disc changing) yet I still find it the better deal personally.
0.[/QUOTE]

That's all I was asking. State it as a personal opinion, rather than a blunt objective fact.

For me the PS3 is a shitty deal as I don't care about BR movies at this point and there exclusives don't excite me much at all. There's no reason for me to own one at this point.

For you, there games are right up your alley, so it's the best deal for you.

Yeah, it's all in the exclusives, really. If you don't care about the PS3's media (and computer) abilities, I think its silly to own it and the 360. One or the other is probably sufficient. Is Halo, Ninja Gaiden, PGR, its controller and Live your thing? Or are Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, MGS4, Gimped but free online and the DualShock more up your alley?

I use my PS3 far more as a media machine than a game console, but that's the reason I bought it, so I've got no complaints there. And when I do play games on it's mostly a PS1/2, not a PS3. ;)

But, if you're in the market for a Blu-Ray player or a media pc to hook up to your TV, you'd be kinda silly to not just go ahead and get the PS3.

[quote name='daroga']Yeah, it's all in the exclusives, really. If you don't care about the PS3's media (and computer) abilities, I think its silly to own it and the 360. One or the other is probably sufficient. Is Halo, Bioshock, PGR, its controller and Live your thing? Or are Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Gimped but free online and the DualShock more up your alley?

I use my PS3 far more as a media machine than a game console, but that's the reason I bought it, so I've got no complaints there. And when I do play games on it's mostly a PS1/2, not a PS3. ;)

But, if you're in the market for a Blu-Ray player or a media pc to hook up to your TV, you'd be kinda silly to not just go ahead and get the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Geez, Daroga, you're going to set off all the PS3 fanboy's with that "gimped" comment now.

This thread is just heading into the danger zone.

would "Not as robust" be less offensive?

It's hardly an opinion that Live is superior to the PSN stuff. And it better be, since you've gotta pay for it.

Do it. I had a Wii for a while and my then gf was the only one who played it. I got a PS3 and LOVED it but eventually gave up on it because I didn't have a nice HD set to go with it and wouldn't for a long time.

I'm down to a PSP and og xbox and I'm happy with them for now but only because I know that once I have some cash saved up in the future I'll splurge and buy an HD set and rebuy a PS3. 360 probably would have taken the cake for me if it wasn't for the hardware issues. If MS fixes them then I'll buy one immediately.

I just bought a 360 two days ago because I wasn't playing my Wii at all. Currently I'm holding onto it, but I will sell it, it's just a matter of time. A close friend of mine is thinking of getting it. I told him he's under no pressure to decide right away. The thing is, I only ever really played Wii games at his house anyway. He has a big TV (mine is rather small) and we both love Super Smash Bros. Hell, even his wife loves it and she's decent, though not that good.

If I sell it to him, I lose almost nothing because I'll still be able to play when I visit him. And meanwhile, I get more money for 360 games.

Oh, and the reason I chose the 360 over the PS3 is online multiplayer. Another friend of mine has one and he lives pretty far away, and yet another friend also has one and he's currently in South Korea! So it'll be nice to be able to play games with these guys.

Think of this, too - GameCubes are insanely cheap. They're $30. Memory cards, controllers, and games are cheap too. If you really want to have Super Smash or Mario Kart as an option, you could always just get a GameCube and you'll still come out way ahead. That's what I'm thinking of doing, though I'll probably get enough Smash and Mario Kart from visiting my friend anyway.

If you think you'll like the PS3 more, then by all means go for it.

If you're bored with the system after two months, though, I don't think you've given it much of a shot.

bread's done
Back