Thinking of finally picking up a psp...

GetWhatYaGive

CAGiversary!
Since it's inception, the PSP was one of those things that I paid attention too but really never thought much about purchasing.

However, now that the price has been reduced for a bit...I'm starting to wonder if it'd be worth picking one up. The psp Socoms and Syphon Filters are what have kept me the most interested in. However, I'm not sure if the initial $130 is really worth the investment for a few games here and there.

The other aspect that has me interested, is being able to transfter PS1 games bought of off the PSN store onto the PSP. Is this a pretty easy procedure? The only thing I don't like is having to buy some old ps1 games I already own, but for only $5 or $10, I suppose it's not that bad. It would be nice having something like Resident Evil or Final Fantasy VII on the PSP ready to go anytime I'm flying or something along those lines.

Thoughts? Are those of you that purchases one happy with your purchase or does it just sit on the shelf when you could simply play a console game instead?

I got mine for $55 (incl. a 2GB card) and I'm very happy with it. I mainly play PSN games on it (Minis and PS1 classics) and use it as an MP3 player.
Major downside is lack of video format compatibility. Even if you have the right format video, you'd be lucky to get it to play on the PSP (even with following the stupid folder structure/file names that they tell you to use.)

Transferring PS1 games is easy (triangle, copy), but the downside is you can only have one account registered on the PSP at a time. If you have PS1 games on multiple accounts, you'll have to hook it up to the PS3 and re-register it with a different account to play different games.

I prefer handheld games over console so I play my psp most of the time. I like it esp while watching tv with my family. I play while they watch.

I really like the psp since it has good graphics like MGS. I also like the fact that you can watch movies in it, *ahem movies. You just need to get a good converter program though. I also Like browsing pics on the psp * wink wink.

Make sure to check the gaming libraries first, see if you got some games you really like.

Thanks for the input guys.

I've been looking over the psp library and here are the games that I thought might interest me.

Secret Agent Clank
Ape Escape: On the Loose
Final Fantasy IV
Crisis Core: FF7?
Socom Fireteam Bravo
Socom Fireteam Bravo 2
Socom Fireteam Bravo 3
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
Wipeout Pure
Ridge Racer
Tenchu: Shadow of the Assassins
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony

[quote name='GetWhatYaGive']Thanks for the input guys.

I've been looking over the psp library and here are the games that I thought might interest me.

Secret Agent Clank
Ape Escape: On the Loose
Final Fantasy IV
Crisis Core: FF7?
Socom Fireteam Bravo
Socom Fireteam Bravo 2
Socom Fireteam Bravo 3
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
Wipeout Pure
Ridge Racer
Tenchu: Shadow of the Assassins
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony[/QUOTE]

I only highlighted Secret Agent Clank because I think you'd enjoy it more with the PS2 port, the lack of the 2nd analog to control the camera is extremely noticeable between both versions. But I think it's a really fun game if you like the Ratchet and Clank series, just make sure you get it for a platform that it's best suited for. ;)

Edit: I mention it because I played both and think the PS2 version is superior because of the camera control via the 2nd analog stick on the ps2 controller and a few other fixes and things they changed between both versions make it a better option.

Tenchu is one of the first games I've bought for the psp. I must warn you, there are frequent slow downs during gameplay. But still good nonetheless. I wish it had a data install feature.

Buy it only if your a big fan like me. Also it has good graphics.

Good choice with Lunar. Can never go wrong with a classic. I played Socom FTB 3 and like it.

Thanks to both of you. I'll see if I can find a Ps2 version of Secret Agent Clank. I've never been a huge tenchu fan, albeit I owned Tenchu 2 for the ps1.

I also forgot to mention Peace Walker and Twisted Metal Head On. I've been trying to find the "Peace Walker PSP" box set but they seem to no longer be sold.

Wipeout Pulse is loads better than Pure IMO. Crisis Core is a very well designed portable game, just don't expect much from the narrative.

I use my PSP all the time as I'm on public transportation a lot -- if you aren't on the go a lot it might be less valuable to you but they are cheap enough to justify a purchase either way. And PS1 classics are very nice to have.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Wipeout Pulse is loads better than Pure IMO. Crisis Core is a very well designed portable game, just don't expect much from the narrative.

I use my PSP all the time as I'm on public transportation a lot -- if you aren't on the go a lot it might be less valuable to you but they are cheap enough to justify a purchase either way. And PS1 classics are very nice to have.[/QUOTE]

I'll check out Pulse. Is that the new Wipeout PSP game?

Thanks for the help.

bread's done
Back