Thinking of Purchasing a PS3

Reno Takamiya

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Now if this isn't the right place to post this I am sorry please move it if you're able too.

So I had my birthday yesterday and I have 177.00 in cash and 30.00 in amazon. However I also have the ability to get that 30$ in Amazon cash from my mother and she gets to use it while she gives me cash. 

I've been looking at PS3's on amazon though I have noticed with Used there's a chance you're banned from PSN or the Serial Code is under another name. 

I have found used - like new copies for 204$ with my shipping my 30$ takes that down to at least 174.00$ My only problem is like I said about being banned from PSN and Serial numbers I have emailed one of these sellers but I have yet to get a reply. Also the amazon users accounts either say Just Launcher 0% or no rating at all. 

I want a PS3 because of the exclusives and pretty much the other RPG's it has that the Xbox 360 that I have doesn't. 

I could get a PS3 from Gamestop but from my very first reason I am also troubled. I know that Gamestop has a Guarenteed to work though. 

What I am asking is would you buy a PS3 used especially at that price?

It's either a PS3 or maybe an iPod Touch or maybe a Handheld. 

Last edited by a moderator:
To abate all your fears, I would try to pony up the extra funds and get a new PS3.  The older slim models are well-built and reliable, so you don't have to necessarily buy the latest 500gb super-slim bundle.  I'm sure there will be a ps3 system deal in the coming weeks.

I also have regrets now for trading my ps3 slim at GS towards a PS4 pre-order, because there are tons of great exclusive jrpgs arriving soon (Xillia and Disgaea D2, in particular).   I was just caught up with the E3 Sony hype....grrrrr!

I don't really understand your post. You're buying new while I want to buy used.
I also feel like trading in my 360 towards a ps3
Since the ps3 has a lot of the same games coming out as the 360

however I have no idea how much an arcade 360 might trade in for.
I know on game stops website they say 182$ in credit. For I think the black slim 360

Read what I wrote here.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310437-finally-moving-to-blu-ray/?p=10849976

Basically what I'm saying in that thread to a guy that wants a stand alone BR player is to get a PS3 on Black Friday.  For you, my message is to just wait until Black Friday to buy.  Last year a brand new PS3 super slim bundle with Uncharted 1 and 2 plus Infamous 1 and 2 was $200.

My PS3 slim is starting to make strange noises in the disk drive when it first spins up so I might end up selling it and buying a replacement this holiday.  I'm hoping they'll have them for 150 or less and that I can sell my current one for 100 or so in October or the start of November.

Sony.com has a 320GB PS3 for $199.99. Same warranty as a new one.

http://store.sony.com/p/Refurbished-320GB-PlayStation-PS3-System/en/p/PS394744

GameStop has a refurbished(wonder why it says 'BUY NEW') 250GB for $199.99, if you can find one.

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/consoles/playstation-3-250gb-sony-refurbished/89419

You can find your console trade in value here:http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/308892-gamestop-tivpromos-thread-xx-trade-357-games-get-extra-102035-credit-kindle-cards-come-back/

You could trade in a game worth $15 to renew/upgrade to PUR Pro and get the 50% trade in value bonus coupon in a couple days or so. The coupon is good for EVERYTHING you trade in. Console, cell phone, hdmi cables, controllers...

Read what I wrote here.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310437-finally-moving-to-blu-ray/?p=10849976

Basically what I'm saying in that thread to a guy that wants a stand alone BR player is to get a PS3 on Black Friday. For you, my message is to just wait until Black Friday to buy. Last year a brand new PS3 super slim bundle with Uncharted 1 and 2 plus Infamous 1 and 2 was $200.

My PS3 slim is starting to make strange noises in the disk drive when it first spins up so I might end up selling it and buying a replacement this holiday. I'm hoping they'll have them for 150 or less and that I can sell my current one for 100 or so in October or the start of November.

Sony.com has a 320GB PS3 for $199.99. Same warranty as a new one.

http://store.sony.com/p/Refurbished-320GB-PlayStation-PS3-System/en/p/PS394744

GameStop has a refurbished(wonder why it says 'BUY NEW') 250GB for $199.99, if you can find one.

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/consoles/playstation-3-250gb-sony-refurbished/89419

You can find your console trade in value here:http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/308892-gamestop-tivpromos-thread-xx-trade-357-games-get-extra-102035-credit-kindle-cards-come-back/

You could trade in a game worth $15 to renew/upgrade to PUR Pro and get the 50% trade in value bonus coupon in a couple days or so. The coupon is good for EVERYTHING you trade in. Console, cell phone, hdmi cables, controllers...
I have the Coupon but according to that thread I'll only get 90$ with it for trading in my 360 I might as well just keep it.

I don't think I'll be waiting until Black Friday that is like 7 months away. I might go for that Sony deal I only have a few questions.

1. Is it guaranteed to play games, dvds , cds and be able to access on PSN?

2. Does the warranty cover everything a new console would get like if it doesn't do anything above in question one can I return it or contact them for a new one?

I checked out adding that PS3 too the cart on Sony's website it told me that it was currently out of stock but the shipping date was estimated to b e 7/05/2013

Well, I only paid ~$150 for a used 40GB PS3 over 2 years ago from a place called jjgames.com.  But I dont think they have any more in stock.  I've never heard of a banned PS3.  I know they have banned 360s, but I've never heard of a banned PS3.  If you are really worried though, you should probably get it from a major retailer and not a sole seller.  I'd get it from Gamestop if I was you and hell-bent on getting a used one.  At least if something goes wrong you could easily exchange it.

Though, I have to agree with the other poster, if you are *that* worried, your peace of mind might be worth saving up for / waiting for a sale on a new one.

Why'd you buy a PS3 this late in its lifespan? Just save your cash and get a PS4. I'm fairly confident Sony will come through for us and provide some sort of Gaikai-based backward compatibility solution. Besides, if you've waiting this long, whatever games you're interested in clearly weren't that important to you in the first place. Also, never buy a used console when new ones are still widely available.

If you have to choose between a PS3, iPod Touch and handheld, I'd go with the Vita. Plenty of JRPGs on that as well, and at least it's a next-gen console so it'll last you longer. It'll also be able to stream games from your PS4 if you ever get one.

Going off Gamestops website there are no games I'm interested right now on the PS4 especially when some of them are coming out this gen for 360 and PS3 like Watch Dogs or Black Flag. 

There are some games on the PS3 that look important to me and I feel like playing.

I have purchased a used PS3 from an Amazon user with a 100% rating. I have also emailed them about they have only had it for about 6 or 7 months it also comes with a warranty that ends in December 2013. They also only played it for about 3 hours a day which sounds like it hasn't been through much it was also listed under Like New. 

Not to mention it was a 350GB SLIM for 180$ 

My only question now is the new PS3 firmware update that came out and has a chance of bricking consoles.

Is there a chance I can skip it until they know it works? 

My only question now is the new PS3 firmware update that came out and has a chance of bricking consoles.

You will need at least firmware 4.41 to use PSN right now, the messed up firmware is 4.45 which Sony has recalled. They will be releasing a new firmware update on June 27. You will need to update either way to use PSN. But you can remain offline at whatever firmware your PS3 comes with.

You will need at least firmware 4.41 to use PSN right now, the messed up firmware is 4.45 which Sony has recalled. They will be releasing a new firmware update on June 27. You will need to update either way to use PSN. But you can remain offline at whatever firmware your PS3 comes with.
Just a note, you need firmware 4.xx to play the newest Blu ray movies.

I actually bought another PS3 when Xbox One announced its DRM and used game policies before E3. I worried PS4 will follow and if that's true, I will just stick with my old generation consoles. I buy a spared one just in case mine is broken. I have many PS3 games in backlog. Most of them are Nis ones. Some of those games are not great (low metacritic score) but I still like them. I also have subscribed to both US and EU PS+ and those have constant supply of new PS3 titels for me. e.g. EU one will have Battlefield 3, DMC for free soon. The PS+ is the main reason I bought another PS3. I also bought a Like new one, from Amazon marketplace. I'm very happy about the purchase.

I would never consider buying an ipod because smartphones can do all things an ipod can, and they are cheaper. A handheld is not a bad idea if need to play on the go. I recommend 3DS XL and then Vita, especially if you subscribe to EU PS+ - you got or will get Virtue's last reward, gravity rush, uncharted 3, Unit 13, Rayman Origins, Little King's Story free. 3DS games are more expensive but there are a lot to choose from too. 3DS platform is the best choice for JRPG IMO. 

if you only want to buy used, I'd suggest checking cowboom.com. You can regularly find a regular slim for around $140, and cheaper if you wait for a flash sale. They have pictures of most every console, as well as a rating system that tells you how beat up (if at all) it is. There is a thread on here full of people's great experiences, and it's backed by bestbuy and an easy return policy in case you don't like what you get.

That would be my recommendation for buying used, though at this point you would probably be able to get a brand new one for the same price in a few months. Just something to consider.

I feel the same way.  I kinda want a PS3 now and there are some exlusives I would love to play, but I'm going to get a PS4.  Getting a PS3 now seems kinda odd, but it would be so much easier if PS4 was backwards compatible or we knew more about Gaikai and how good/reliable it is and what games would be available.  Otherwise I think I can hold out until a decent bundle hits for $199 or less. 

I'm the complete opposite of you guys, just unloaded 25 of my games on amazon and wondering if Last of Us, SR4 and GTAV are enough to me make want to hold on to my 160 slim when all I've been doing is catching up on 3DS backlog...

I was considering getting a PS3 this fall and holding off on next gen for a little while. I skipped PS2/PS3, so there are a bunch of exclusives I'd love to get my hands on. Has there been any statement lately regarding Gaikai and how that is suppose to work when it launches in 2014? Getting a PS4 that can play/stream older games might just solve my problem. I wonder if you would need to buy games through PSN digitally or if I already had the disk, would the PS4 read it as purchased and stream?

I was considering getting a PS3 this fall and holding off on next gen for a little while. I skipped PS2/PS3, so there are a bunch of exclusives I'd love to get my hands on. Has there been any statement lately regarding Gaikai and how that is suppose to work when it launches in 2014? Getting a PS4 that can play/stream older games might just solve my problem. I wonder if you would need to buy games through PSN digitally or if I already had the disk, would the PS4 read it as purchased and stream?
No one knows. It's not their big focus right now. Will probably hear more about it next year.

bread's done
Back