Thinking of Upgrading, Anyone Else?

b3b0p

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
I just got Megaman Maverick Hunter X for my PSP and of course it requires the latest and greatest firmware, 2.50+. Currently it is unplayable otherwise.

Now with all these cool games coming out and the new firmware keeps adding neat new features (web browser, codecs, and now rumored email), it is becoming more and more tempting to ditch homebrew NES, Genesis, and Gameboy (SNES needs some work, alot of work).

Also, most of the homebrew apps really need quite a bit of polishing up and optimizations (SNES). It's just more tempting to play my homebrew on other platforms (PC or Xbox for example) that don't have any problems. Just those other platforms aren't nearly as portable or convenient.

The other PSP game I have that I love is Burnout Legends. This game kicks so much ass. It is my first encounter with Burnout and I love it. I can play it on my 1.50 PSP, but I have to run some loops, it's kind of a clunky way to get it running, but it works.

Any one uprade and regret it?

Anyone thinking of upgrading?

Anyone get a 2nd PSP just to have one for homebrew and one for playing PSP UMD games?

I sure could go for some Megaman, oh well back to my Gameboy for now...

It's rather sad when PSP owners have to rely on emulation for enjoyment on their portable. I remember a time when the DS had nothing but GBA games.:)

Just upgrade, I'm sure you can play those games on the computer... or maybe get that app that makes the PSP think it's on the latest firmware.

i dont play emulators on my psp, but i was under the impression that all versions of the psp up to 2.60 were cracked and could run at least one form of an emulator on them....thus, removing the need for a second psp....

Megaman Maverick Hunter X and SFA 3: Max are awesome, amazing reasons to upgrade your firmware. I have loved what I played of MMHX, which surprised me - they did an amazing job remaking it.

PSP is finally having some pretty cool games, I know I didn't spend $250 on mine to play NES games. I personally can't wait for Katamari to come out.

[quote name='tholly']i dont play emulators on my psp, but i was under the impression that all versions of the psp up to 2.60 were cracked and could run at least one form of an emulator on them....thus, removing the need for a second psp....[/QUOTE]

I believe they might, but they use software emulation (read painfully slow) from what I have read. While 1.00 and 1.50 firmware can be optimized to use the hardware. Thus the reason there are options for software/hardware emulation in the emus.

Vinny, perhaps you are right. I have so many games (I want) to play and most of the older ones that I LOVE(

I could care less about playing 20 year old games on my PSP. I bought it to play PSP games on. I upgrade everytime a new version comes out. PSP has an amazing line up out or coming soon depending on your taste.

[quote name='Roufuss']Megaman Maverick Hunter X and SFA 3: Max are awesome, amazing reasons to upgrade your firmware. I have loved what I played of MMHX, which surprised me - they did an amazing job remaking it.

PSP is finally having some pretty cool games, I know I didn't spend $250 on mine to play NES games. I personally can't wait for Katamari to come out.[/QUOTE]

Those are 3 reasons that caused me to make this post.

Then there is Megaman Powered Up, Gran Turismo (some day hopefully), a Final Fantasy, and possible Valkerie Profile and Suikoden remakes (never played either on Playstation). The list keeps getting additions almost every week.

Also, I payed only $150 for mine from Alcoa 40% off sale, but I was nice, sold it to my brother since he was poor and bought another from EB (of which I regret).

I upgraded.

Most of the games I would play emulated are already re-released, coming, or really not worth the trouble.

I like all the new cool features that come with the firmware update. Just started Megaman, bliss!

Thanks everyone for your input.

[quote name='rodeojones903']I could care less about playing 20 year old games on my PSP. I bought it to play PSP games on. I upgrade everytime a new version comes out. PSP has an amazing line up out or coming soon depending on your taste.[/QUOTE]

Same here.

I was on 1.5 up until January 1st. New games = new firmware and I had to pop open SOCOM and GTA. Besides, I'm a 2d fighting fan...there was nothing to keep me from Street Fighter Alpha 3. I look at it in the following way:

I'm going to buy Splinter Cell, Syphon Filter, GT4, and any other high caliber games. From the looks of things, the big name games don't play around with firmware checks...so I'll just avoid waiting 5 months till someone makes a working loader or something and just upgrade. Besides, I'm thinking 3.0 is going to have some goodies for us.

the only emulators worth running on the PSP are the Neo Geo CD and the NES ones due to them running perfectly... otherthan that, you really dont miss out on much other than random little Homebrew stuff like turning your PSP into a wirelss remote or controller for PS2...

with the upgrade you get better video encoding (less space taken up with videos and looks better), web browser (no big hoot, but a nice plus), and .wma support wich is probably the best plus IMHO. I currently have 2.0 due GTA needing it, but I don't think im missing much.

I just can't bring it upon myself to upgrade. I'll just eventually end up buying another psp as soon as more games I want to play come out(or until I get my hands on one of the ROTK games).

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']the only emulators worth running on the PSP are the Neo Geo CD and the NES ones due to them running perfectly... otherthan that, you really dont miss out on much other than random little Homebrew stuff like turning your PSP into a wirelss remote or controller for PS2...

with the upgrade you get better video encoding (less space taken up with videos and looks better), web browser (no big hoot, but a nice plus), and .wma support wich is probably the best plus IMHO. I currently have 2.0 due GTA needing it, but I don't think im missing much.[/QUOTE]

Ding!

Agreed. The only emulators that worked well were NES (some games were still glitchy) and Genesis (from what little I used it seemed nice too). There are really only 3 or 4 games on NES and 2 on the genesis I would even consider wasting my time to play.

The SNES emulator is a joke. There is only 2 games that I would play on it that have not had remakes on Gameboy, Earthbound (I can't read Japanese) and Chrono Trigger.

Perhaps there are others, but I have a huge backlog of games I need to play that will keep me busy until I retire.

I'm thinking of selling my FreePSP PSP when I get that and either buying more games or getting a GP2X.

Damn, this thread got me debating whether I should get rid of my homebrew/emulators and upgrade. Socom, GTA, Street Fighter, and Mega Man are exrememly tempting. Ahh crap. b3b0p, do you regret upgrading or do you think down the line you'll regret upgrading?

[quote name='Supaman1489']Damn, this thread got me debating whether I should get rid of my homebrew/emulators and upgrade. Socom, GTA, Street Fighter, and Mega Man are exrememly tempting. Ahh crap. b3b0p, do you regret upgrading or do you think down the line you'll regret upgrading?[/QUOTE]

I'll give you the run down on how I decided it was worth it to upgrade.

The emulators are cool, but only about 2 of them actually ran decent enough to play: NES and Genesis. SNES seriously needed work, Chrono, Earthbound, Mario RGP with skipped frames and other abnormalities just is not worth taking the time to play through.

The homebrew apps pretty much sucked in my opinion, buggy, clunky, and useless.

When it came down to the games I wanted to play: On NES it was Ninja Turtles, Ninja Turtles II, Ninja Turtles III, Simon's Quest, and Dracula's Curse. Everything else had been made available on GBA.

On Genesis, all I cared for was Toejam & Earl. The Sonics and then some some are available on cube which can be had dirt cheap using EBGames triple coupon stack.

All those games and most others, if not re-released recently on the GBA or another platform are available cheap as hell on the bay or another 3rd party in their original form. Also, if you have an Xbox (full speed) or Dreamcast (almost full speed), the emulator support is alot better and much further along in development.

The PSP firmware adds all sorts of new codecs for music and video. Adds a web browser, better wireless support, and better custumizations. It would be pretty damn cool if they added an email app and network browser.

I'm going to start ripping my Garfield & Friends volumes, Duck Tales volume, Zelda Collection, and Anime so I can play them on my PSP. I can't wait for larger and cheaper memory sticks.

With all the new games coming out for PSP, I don't know about you, but I don't have time to RE-play old games I have already played a gazillion and one times and new games too. I've already played them and now I am dieing to try the new stuff! The PSP is finally getting stuff worth playing.

Do I regret upgrading?

Not one bit. I can recommend it now. Burnout and Megaman did it for me. I can't wait to pick up SFA3, MM Powered Up, and Katamari. My mouth is frothing for Tales of Eternia, yet to have a release date, but I want it so bad. Gran Turismo will be fun too as always. I hope and pray for a Maverick Hunter X2 & X3. The possibilities are endless now. Capcom is going to milk so much money from me. I beg Square and/or Enix for some Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest goodness!

Don't forget other announced, but not confirmed for U.S. release titles such as
Valkyrie Profile and Suikoden I + II, both of which I have not been able to play on Playstation because I'm not paying the bay that much. So, I look forward to those being announced for here, I hope anyway.

Still not at GBA levels, but the outlook is good.

yea, when i got my 1.5 psp, i immediately upgraded to 2.0...i will eventually upgrade to the land of no return (>2.0)...but for now...not yet :p

[quote name='b3b0p']I'll give you the run down on how I decided it was worth it to upgrade.

The emulators are cool, but only about 2 of them actually ran decent enough to play: NES and Genesis. SNES seriously needed work, Chrono, Earthbound, Mario RGP with skipped frames and other abnormalities just is not worth taking the time to play through.

The homebrew apps pretty much sucked in my opinion, buggy, clunky, and useless.

When it came down to the games I wanted to play: On NES it was Ninja Turtles, Ninja Turtles II, Ninja Turtles III, Simon's Quest, and Dracula's Curse. Everything else had been made available on GBA.

On Genesis, all I cared for was Toejam & Earl. The Sonics and then some some are available on cube which can be had dirt cheap using EBGames triple coupon stack.

All those games and most others, if not re-released recently on the GBA or another platform are available cheap as hell on the bay or another 3rd party in their original form. Also, if you have an Xbox (full speed) or Dreamcast (almost full speed), the emulator support is alot better and much further along in development.

The PSP firmware adds all sorts of new codecs for music and video. Adds a web browser, better wireless support, and better custumizations. It would be pretty damn cool if they added an email app and network browser.

I'm going to start ripping my Garfield & Friends volumes, Duck Tales volume, Zelda Collection, and Anime so I can play them on my PSP. I can't wait for larger and cheaper memory sticks.

With all the new games coming out for PSP, I don't know about you, but I don't have time to RE-play old games I have already played a gazillion and one times and new games too. I've already played them and now I am dieing to try the new stuff! The PSP is finally getting stuff worth playing.

Do I regret upgrading?

Not one bit. I can recommend it now. Burnout and Megaman did it for me. I can't wait to pick up SFA3, MM Powered Up, and Katamari. My mouth is frothing for Tales of Eternia, yet to have a release date, but I want it so bad. Gran Turismo will be fun too as always. I hope and pray for a Maverick Hunter X2 & X3. The possibilities are endless now. Capcom is going to milk so much money from me. I beg Square and/or Enix for some Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest goodness!

Don't forget other announced, but not confirmed for U.S. release titles such as
Valkyrie Profile and Suikoden I + II, both of which I have not been able to play on Playstation because I'm not paying the bay that much. So, I look forward to those being announced for here, I hope anyway.

Still not at GBA levels, but the outlook is good.[/QUOTE]

That's definetly a convincing arguement. I do know what you mean when you say the emulators needed a frame skip and such. But I'm not gonna lie, Mutant League Football on the go is definetly awsome. But I do think I'm gonna upgrade and pick up Mega Man, Raw vs Smackdown, Socom, and GTA. And should I get the desire for snes, sega, and nes games, I'll rig my Dreamcast up with some roms. Thanks for helping me make up my mind. 2.6, here I come...

[quote name='Supaman1489']That's definetly a convincing arguement. I do know what you mean when you say the emulators needed a frame skip and such. But I'm not gonna lie, Mutant League Football on the go is definetly awsome. But I do think I'm gonna upgrade and pick up Mega Man, Raw vs Smackdown, Socom, and GTA. And should I get the desire for snes, sega, and nes games, I'll rig my Dreamcast up with some roms. Thanks for helping me make up my mind. 2.6, here I come...[/QUOTE]

Like I said, Genesis worked near perfect levels. However, for me the only Genesis games I cared about were Toejam and Earl and Sonic(s). So, in all about 5 games total.

Try playing Final Fantasy III or II or Mario RPG. You'll see what I mean. It is unbearable and there is no way you could get me to sit down for hours at a time to play it like that.

[quote name='b3b0p']Like I said, Genesis worked near perfect levels. However, for me the only Genesis games I cared about were Toejam and Earl and Sonic(s). So, in all about 5 games total.

Try playing Final Fantasy III or II or Mario RPG. You'll see what I mean. It is unbearable and there is no way you could get me to sit down for hours at a time to play it like that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was pretty lame having to set a frame skip for almost every other game I had. And I am officially back to 2.0. Now all I need to do is decide game to get next...

I know there are different strokes for different folks, but it amazes me that on a site like cag that people are buying 2nd PSP's just to play old games on. truly amazes me.

[quote name='specialk']I know there are different strokes for different folks, but it amazes me that on a site like cag that people are buying 2nd PSP's just to play old games on. truly amazes me.[/QUOTE]

I know. I can't believe people don't play ROMs on their GBA or DSes. There was a DS external modchip just announced that allows ROM play for both older systems and DS cart rips. Cool stuff.

That's all I'm saying though. I don't want a ban. :D

[quote name='specialk']I know there are different strokes for different folks, but it amazes me that on a site like cag that people are buying 2nd PSP's just to play old games on. truly amazes me.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't go to that extreme, but if I was able to play my SNES games like Super Metroid anywhere, I'd be in heaven. Really, old school systems like the SNES and Genesis had some of the best games ever and there's no reason why people wouldn't love to have the ability to play those games wherever they are... I just hope that we eventually regain the ability to play those games on a PSP by somebody finding a way around the firmware's protection.

I don't regret the upgrade. I only played Mike Tyson's Punchout and I got bored from that after a couple of weeks. Plus I like the "new" additions with the upgrade...web, etc..

I have been a 1.5 enthusiast, especially since I got my 2gig stick but I am getting closer to saying fuck it daily. The point made about the emulators running very glitchy is killing me right now. I was all about the SNES emulator but I can't play one rom on it. The NES is tight, but I have a top loader at home and a regular NES. The drum machines are tight and the iso loaders sound nice, but I can't get one to download offline (don't hate). With WE9 out now and monster hunter coming.......I may have to bite here. Plus, it looks like they continue to at least have the NES emulator working on all firmwares, which is all I need for old school gaming.

I played Tales of Eternia, Breath of Fire 3, and Guilty Gear XX Reload this weekend. I've never seriously considered upgrading.

[quote name='THE DARK KNIGHT']I was all about the SNES emulator but I can't play one rom on it. The NES is tight, but I have a top loader at home and a regular NES. [/QUOTE]

I agree completely. SNES emulation sucks, big time and there were only 5-6 games I really wanted to play, but I can play them on any other system that has emulators (Xbox, Dreamcast) or I can just pull out my carts and hook it up to the TV. Portable is nice, but I'll either wait until GP2X has full speed SNES or just live with use my original carts or PC (that's hooked up to my TV).

The NES and Genesis are great, but does not really seem worth it.

Also, the Revolution backlog of classic games will be available.

It has been a few days, and I just ordered Tales of Eternia. I don't regret upgrading even a little. OK, maybe a little for TMNT, TMNT II, TMNT III on NES, but that's it.

I don't know why some many of you are saying that only the NES and Genesis emulators run well, maybe you haven't tried the lates versions? I use NES, SNES, GB, GBC, and Genesis. They all run like a charm, the only problems I have are with Mario Kart games and FPS's.

I'm still on the fence myself about upgrading, there are so many good games out now for the PSP, but I just can't turn away from having 100+ games all stored in my little memory stick for me where ever I go.

The Gameboy games are pennies on the dollar on the bay and other places and I can pop those in my GBA at a moments notice and take it with me. They are also in monochrome, still fun, but this is $250 device that is quite a bit more advanced then a monochrome Gameboy.

You can use SNES emulator all you want, but if all the good games skip frames and have abnormalities, it's not worth spending my time playing it for hours to beat a game like Chrono Trigger when I have the actual cart that plays flawlessly.

The SNES PSP emu is not full speed. The only way to get full speed SNES is PC or Xbox. Not even the Dreamcast, which has had a SNES emulator constantly being worked on and updated, does not have full speed SNES (it's very close now though). The PSP SNES has a long (long...) ways to go. It needs much optimization and might never reach that point.

The only full speed emulators are Genesis (I think anyway?) and NES and everything about equal or below (gameboy, TG16, etc). By the way, NES is full speed on GBA as far as I know, so just get a GBA flash linker kit and start loading games on that without any upgrading.

The reasons you give are the reasons I was reluctant to upgrade, but I have thought it over quite thoroughly since there was no turning back and came to the conclusion, FOR ME, it was worth it to upgrade.

Besides the games, you do get a nice load of extras with the updates though too.

I am really looking forward to many of the games too. Especially my newly acquired Megaman and coming later this week, Tales of Eternia. I also love Burnout, it is really fun and addicting.

[quote name='b3b0p']The Gameboy games are pennies on the dollar on the bay and other places and I can pop those in my GBA at a moments notice and take it with me. They are also in monochrome, still fun, but this is $250 device that is quite a bit more advanced then a monochrome Gameboy.

You can use SNES emulator all you want, but if all the good games skip frames and have abnormalities, it's not worth spending my time playing it for hours to beat a game like Chrono Trigger when I have the actual cart that plays flawlessly.

The SNES PSP emu is not full speed. The only way to get full speed SNES is PC or Xbox. Not even the Dreamcast, which has had a SNES emulator constantly being worked on and updated, does not have full speed SNES (it's very close now though). The PSP SNES has a long (long...) ways to go. It needs much optimization and might never reach that point.

The only full speed emulators are Genesis (I think anyway?) and NES and everything about equal or below (gameboy, TG16, etc). By the way, NES is full speed on GBA as far as I know, so just get a GBA flash linker kit and start loading games on that without any upgrading.

The reasons you give are the reasons I was reluctant to upgrade, but I have thought it over quite thoroughly since there was no turning back and came to the conclusion, FOR ME, it was worth it to upgrade.

Besides the games, you do get a nice load of extras with the updates though too.

I am really looking forward to many of the games too. Especially my newly acquired Megaman and coming later this week, Tales of Eternia. I also love Burnout, it is really fun and addicting.[/QUOTE]

on the bay? Please stop.

[quote name='b3b0p']
[/QUOTE]

and who decides which all the "good games" are?

i have tons of games that work awesome that i love...

RPG's and mario kart arent the only "good games" you know...

anyway, i was thinking about upgrading, and i still am, but i'm not going to until there is something that i REALLY want that the GTA 2.0 glitch can't handle...i have 2.0 right now and i'm lovin it...best of both worlds

[quote name='swetooth9']and who decides which all the "good games" are?

i have tons of games that work awesome that i love...

RPG's and mario kart arent the only "good games" you know...

anyway, i was thinking about upgrading, and i still am, but i'm not going to until there is something that i REALLY want that the GTA 2.0 glitch can't handle...i have 2.0 right now and i'm lovin it...best of both worlds[/QUOTE]

Of course, it's relative.

You'll notice I stated multiple times why it was worth it to me. It may not be to you.

This is just my experience and how I finally came to the conclusion to upgrade.

[quote name='b3b0p']Of course, it's relative.

You'll notice I stated multiple times why it was worth it to me. It may not be to you.

This is just my experience and how I finally came to the conclusion to upgrade.[/QUOTE]

i know, i was just giving my side...i probably will eventually when i get tired of emus...but i just got my psp and i dont feel like modding my xbox, so the psp is my main emu hub...

[quote name='swetooth9']i know, i was just giving my side...i probably will eventually when i get tired of emus...but i just got my psp and i dont feel like modding my xbox, so the psp is my main emu hub...[/QUOTE]

I can't blame you. That is how I was until I got Megaman, found out I could not play it no matter what using all the latest hacks and what not. I even told myself I would never upgrade until a real Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts came out. I decided, Megaman and Tales were close enough.

Okay, I'm offically at the point of no return. I picked up Street Fighter and am now up to 2.5. Can't say I regret it, there are definetly great games above 1.5.

I bit the bullet and upgraded. I haven't played my PSP in months and thats including the emus. I'm just going to stick with the new PSP games for now.

The only reason to keep 1.5 around is to use it with the ISO loaders. Homebrew apps just aren't worth it anymore. I upgraded my wife's PSP so I could play Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max and am seriously considering upgrading my 1.5 PSP as well. The MPEG-4 Video support is much improved in 2.5 which, for me, is huge since I convert my HTPC recorded TV shows into PSP format.

YEah, I think the ISO loaders is what is holding most people back....even if it is illegal. However, most new games coming out don't use them....so I may upgrade soon too. However, I haven't really touched my PSP in a while....only on trips really.

[quote name='111111']people that upgraded their 1.5's will soon cry.[/QUOTE]
Why?

For ISO loaders? I could care less about ISO loaders.

wohoo...i just got my emus working perfectly (they were working inconsistently earlier before i reformatted me memory stick)...

i'm gonna try to play all the games i want before eventually upgrading when mega man powered up and power stone collection comes out :D

you see, the difference b/t me and most of you other guys is that i'm a new-schooler...i have not had much time with my snes when i was a kid, but i knew what i liked...i have never played a snes rpg, i have barely had anytime with any of the good games besides super mario allstars, etc...so these emus will satisfy me for a while! :D

I upgraded to 2.6 for the Syphon filter beta, but even if I didn't, Initial D: Street Stage requires 2.6 so I'd be upgrading to it anyways.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I don't know why some many of you are saying that only the NES and Genesis emulators run well, maybe you haven't tried the lates versions? I use NES, SNES, GB, GBC, and Genesis. They all run like a charm, the only problems I have are with Mario Kart games and FPS's.

I'm still on the fence myself about upgrading, there are so many good games out now for the PSP, but I just can't turn away from having 100+ games all stored in my little memory stick for me where ever I go.[/QUOTE]

I love the emulators... currently running
NES (love this one, the hacked versions of NES games are great), SNES (not as bad as most say, just need to adjust settings), Sega Master System (my least fav, but at least I can play Phantasy Star and Psycho Fox on the go), Genesis (probably my favorite for SOR 1-3, Golden Axe games, etc), and Turbo Grafx 16 (these games are so difficult and expensive to find, this is much nicer)... have tried on MAME a couple times but am missing something

I guess being a video game enthusiast keeps me from upgrading, there were so many games I wanted on these older systems (final fight 3, wizards and warriors 3, Golden Axe 3, MJ's Moonwalker, Phantasy Star 4) growing up and still didnt have in my current collection or couldnt afford ebay gouging, to be able to download them in seconds is great

I do own Burnout Legends and GTA: LCS but have let my friend borrow them and for the time being will borrow his PSP when I want to play them

The NES emulator was great, as was Genesis.

You can't convince me the SNES one was worth using though. A frameskip > 0 ruins it and V-Sync must be on or it tears. I guess I'm picky, but I want it to be smooth and seemless. Otherwise, nice try, but not good enough (for me).

I'm happy I upgraded though. I can play the EMUs on my brothers Dreamcast and my laptop and my HTPC. So, the PSP only offered me a more portable version. I'm thinking of getting a GBA Flash cart to play NES and old Gameboy on my Micro (which can't play old Gameboy games). If there is also a TG16, SMS/Genesis, then that's just bonus.

Bebop, have you had a chance to play Street Fighter? That's the only game that I'd really think about upgrading my PSP, but like I said in another post, I LOVE Last Blade 2 and Samurai Showdown 4. Neo Geo games run flawlessly on the PSP.

bread's done
Back