Thinkprogress' "Proof the tea party is racist" video does exactly the opposite

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Disclaimer: This post is largely plagiarized from a few sources.

Here is how Think Progress introduces the video:

ThinkProgress has produced a short video demonstrating the vile racism that has been exhibited at some Tea Party events...

TEA PARTY ACTIVIST1: He’s too black to be President.

TEA PARTY ACTIVIST2: I’m a proud racist, I’m white.

TEA PARTY ACTIVIST3: Afro-Leninism! Coming to you on a silver platter, Barack Hussein Obama!

TEA PARTY ACTIVIST4: Go home wetbacks!.

The supposed footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRJ2UmyHhxI&feature=player_embedded
Notice the one second phenomenally embarrassing and out-of-place attempt at subliminal associational propaganda at 0:11 (which is likely the entire goal of the video considering the source).

Racist #1 aka "Obama is too black" was not referring to Obama's skin color when you watch the video in full context.
You be the judge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiXOF8wBWsA&feature=player_embedded
oops

Racist #2 was kicked out of the Tea Party and last time I checked, if you are expelled from a group you are not usually considered part of the group. I cannot be an LA Laker just for showing up to a practice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYfmShJe5MA&feature=player_embedded
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4796531227_9e990c2674.jpg

Racist #3: Afro-Leninism! Coming to you on a silver platter, Barack Hussein Obama!
picture031.jpg
What the heck is Afro-Leninism? Michael Savage apparently calls Obama that, so no doubt this guy listens to Savage. Does that qualify as racist? Bush was called all kinds of names like Hitler, Stalin, Lenin, etc.

Racist # 4 was caught in 2006, well before the Tea Party movement was even conceived.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AYrvLWZ9m0&feature=player_embedded

Think progress realized this and admitted it, creating a re-edited video.

Racist #5 "Go Home Wetbacks!"
Was taken from a "The official page of Cuéntame the ¡Latino Instigators" with no background or proof it was from a tea party.

Racist #6 "You're a $$$$$$."

One Wisconsin Now, that purposefully set out to infiltrate and counter protest managed to capture one guy, arguing with someone, and calling them a $$$. Hmmm, that's not suspicious at all. Makes one wonder what was being said to him, and by who, and how it just so happened to be caught on camera, by One Wisconsin Now.

Racist #7 "We can't kill Obama"
Even the Dailykos defended this guy as grossly misquoted.
"The guy who says "We Can’t Kill Obama" wasn’t advocating it, he was advocating defeating them electorally, because that’s what he said next."

Racist #8 and #9 - INFILTRATORS
picture037.jpg
picture038.jpg

Amazingly these are infiltrators from a counter protest raley, crash the tea party in Boston, And the This Sign is the Brownest thing... sign.
Infiltrators are becoming more and more common as the left gains desperation in their much needed effort to smear them.

Racist #10: T-Shirt Yup I'm a racist.
picture039.jpg

The Shirt Says on the Front: Yup, I'm a Racist

On the Back: if the Government Says so Because...
I support the Constitution
I support Free Speech
I support the Right to Bear Arms
I support the Bill of Rights
I support Capitalism
I support NO Government Bailouts
I support closing the border
I support the Military
I support the Tea Party
I support Jesus Christ as My Savior.

Proof: .

In case anyone is interested in being reminded of what real racism looks like:

George Soros may want to ask for some of his money back.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Anyone interested in being reminded of what real racism looks like:
[/QUOTE]

Except using your own logic regarding Afro-Leninism...

http://mediamatters.org/research/201007190022

Minutemen were involved in similar voter-intimidation case in 2006

Armed Minutemen allegedly attempted to intimidate Hispanic voters in Arizona in 2006. A November 8, 2006, Austin American-Statesman article reported (from the Nexis database): "In Arizona, Roy Warden, an anti-immigration activist with the Minutemen, and a handful of supporters staked out a Tucson precinct and questioned Hispanic voters at the polls to determine whether they spoke English." The article continued: "Armed with a 9mm Glock automatic strapped to his side, Warden said he planned to photograph Hispanic voters entering polls in an effort to identify illegal immigrants and felons."

Civil rights attorney "said he reported the incident to the FBI." A November 8, 2006, Tucson Citizen article (from Nexis) reported that Diego Bernal, a staff attorney with the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund (MALDEF) "said he reported the incident to the FBI." The article also reported that Pima County elections director Brad Nelson said: "If intimidation or coercion was going on out there, even though it might have been outside the 75-foot limit, it's something we take very seriously, and we'll be looking into it."

Perez testified that Bush-era DOJ "declined to bring any action for alleged voter intimidation" against Minutemen. As Media Matters noted, Thomas Perez, the assistant attorney general for the Civil Rights Division, cited the Minutemen case in his May 14 testimony to the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights and said that "the Department declined to bring any action for alleged voter intimidation, notwithstanding the requests of the complaining parties." From Perez's testimony:

In another case, in Arizona, the complaint was received by a national civil rights organization regarding events in Pima, Arizona in the 2006 election when three well-known anti-immigrant advocates affiliated with the Minutemen, one of whom was carrying a gun, allegedly intimidated Latino voters at a polling place by approaching several persons, filming them, and advocating and printing voting materials in Spanish.

In that instance, the Department declined to bring any action for alleged voter intimidation, notwithstanding the requests of the complaining parties.

Fox News overlooked 2006 voter-intimidation allegations against Minutemen

Nexis search revealed no mention by Fox News of the 2006 Minutemen allegations. Media Matters searched* Fox News coverage between November 1, 2006, and November 1, 2007, in the Nexis database, and found no results for Fox News related to the voter-intimidation allegations against the Minutemen. Shows available in Nexis for that time period include Hannity & Colmes, The O'Reilly Factor, Special Report with Brit Hume, On the Record with Greta Van Susteren, and The Big Story with John Gibson.

another fail post by thrustbucket.

Instead of commenting of what I think, I would just like to go ahead and quote a wise man we all know and love, that may not have time to spread his the equal criticism we know he means to:

[quote name='Mykevermin (sort of)']Andrew Breitbart ThinkProgress is a lying sack of shit who has made a career of exploiting the 'post-photoshop' era.

See also his their whoring of James O'Keefe George Soros and wholly lie-based dessication of ACORN The Tea Party.

We can't even believe what we see in front of our eyes, especially when Breitbart The Center for American Progress is behind it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sporadic']Except using your own logic regarding Afro-Leninism...

http://mediamatters.org/research/201007190022

another fail post by thrustbucket.[/QUOTE]

Oh I'm sorry, were you somehow trying to prove me wrong by assuming I like the Minutemen?

If you were, maybe you should start with video proof, as I did, instead of sourcing a far-left propaganda site with nothing but heresay instead of proof.

Perhaps this silly thing called "video proof" is why one made the MSM news and the other did not? Perhaps that's what the difference is between MSM and propaganda blogs?

Keep trying...

[quote name='thrustbucket']Instead of commenting of what I think, I would just like to go ahead and quote a wise man we all know and love, that may not have time to spread his the equal criticism we know he means to:[/QUOTE]

Except this is just like you and the right calling King Samir Shabazz a Black Panther even though the original members have denounced him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Bl...r_members_of_the_original_Black_Panther_Party

You are a fucking hypocrite.

[quote name='thrustbucket']If you were, maybe you should start with video proof, as I did, instead of sourcing a far-left propaganda site with nothing but heresay instead of proof.[/QUOTE]

Nothing but hearsay? Thomas Perez, assistant attorney general for the Civil Rights Division, testified in front of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights about it. Are you saying he's a liar?

http://mediamatters.org/rd?to=http://www.usccr.gov/NBPH/05-14-2010_NBPPhearing.pdf#page=25

- edit Let me just quote myself

[quote name='Sporadic']You are a fucking hypocrite.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sporadic']Nothing but hearsay? Thomas Perez, assistant attorney general for the Civil Rights Division, testified in front of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights about it. Are you saying he's a liar?

http://mediamatters.org/rd?to=http://www.usccr.gov/NBPH/05-14-2010_NBPPhearing.pdf#page=25

- edit Let me just quote myself[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you are trying to prove anymore. That one racism cancels out another? That MSM is bad for ignoring a story without video evidence when giving another screen time?

Who cares, man. That's all besides the point of my post that ThinkProgress is a sham. I'm sorry if it's in your bookmarks and it hurt your feelings, but try to stay on topic at least, k?

[quote name='thrustbucket']I'm not sure what you are trying to prove anymore. That one racism cancels out another? That MSM is bad for ignoring a story without video evidence when giving another screen time?

Who cares, man. That's all besides the point of my post that ThinkProgress is a sham. I'm sorry if it's in your bookmarks and it hurt your feelings, but try to stay on topic at least, k?[/QUOTE]

You: This is complete bullshit. They are just manipulating video to make the tea party look bad/racist. That one guy is a lone wolf racist we kicked out. He isn't associated with us. Who cares about that Afro-Leninism comment? People called Bush, Hitler, when he was president. Want to see real racism? Check out this video entitled "The Obama Administration Protected Black Panther Who Advocates Killing White Babies"

Me: Well, using your own flawed logic, regarding Afro-Leninism, it isn't that bad since the Minuteman did the same thing in 2006 (except that guy was armed with a gun, not a club) and the Bush-era DOJ didn't charge them. Also just like racist #2, the real Black Panther party condemned that guy for his actions and says that he is NOT related to them.

You: :drool:

----------

In closing,

[quote name='Sporadic']You are a fucking hypocrite.[/QUOTE]

Wow man. Really? That's your point?

Let's back up here and step through it.

For the record I think Afro-Leninism is a pretty disgusting phrase. But to say it's a racist term as Think Progress does? That's arguable, and that was my point. I debated just leaving that one out, but I wanted to be consistent. I admit it's probably the hardest to defend.

I apparently gave you more credit than I should have for not grasping this, but my intention of showing that last video was just for reference to real racism. It wasn't a statement about the the blank panthers in any way; you read way too much into the title.

I personally don't give a shit about the Tea Party, to be honest. The purpose of this entire post was to be in contrast to the other posted today about Breitbart (see my only post there) as they both deserve equal criticism, as some people seem to prance around on these forums as if dishonest journalism is politically one-sided.

You may want to save your childish claims of hypocrisy for those here that are so politically polarized they can't/won't admit both thread topics deserve condemnation.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Wow man. Really? That's your point?

Let's back up here and step through it.

For the record I think Afro-Leninism is a pretty disgusting phrase. But to say it's a racist term as Think Progress does? That's arguable, and that was my point. I debated just leaving that one out, but I wanted to be consistent. I admit it's probably the hardest to defend.

I apparently gave you more credit than I should have for not grasping this, but my intention of showing that last video was just for reference to real racism. It wasn't a statement about the the blank panthers in any way; you read way too much into the title.

I personally don't give a shit about the Tea Party, to be honest. The purpose of this entire post was to be in contrast to the other posted today about Breitbart (see my only post there) as they both deserve equal criticism, as some people seem to prance around on these forums as if dishonest journalism is politically one-sided.

You may want to save your childish claims of hypocrisy for those here that are so politically polarized they can't/won't admit both thread topics deserve condemnation.[/QUOTE]

Let's cut through the bullshit then.

The purpose of this thread isn't to point out that both issues deserve equal criticisms, it is so you can go "see they are just as bad as we are" and try to discredit the other source. That is your gimmick here. Problem is, you are using argument A & B to condemn one video while turning a blind eye to it being used in another video that you are fucking promoting in the same post.

You are trying to twist my posts to go your way but I am not going to fall into any of your traps.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IRHari']I have no idea how the tea party is different from the base of the Republican party.[/QUOTE]

They may have been for like a month or something.

When I hear Afro-Leninism, I think Huey Freeman.

When uneducated people here Afro-Leninism, they think Kwanzaa and militant black people here to take away freedom.

I guess it just matters on your definition of freedom.

We need to quantify the argument. Is it your position that 1) no members of the Tea Party are racist, or 2) that the Leadership is not racist, or 3) that there is not a significant element of racism within the Tea Party?

Clearly, 1) is false. There are racist members. Just as there are racist members of any other organization.

2) Is also demonstrably false. Yes, they have expelled his group, but that's a clear example of racism in the leadership.

3) May be true. My gut reaction is that the major motivating factor of the Tea Partiers is fear. For some, race is a driving force of that fear. Fear is also motivated by shifting demographics, rising unemployment, a nominal connection of our president with our enemies in his middle name, misleading reporting by the "blends of news and entertainment" masquerading as news and taken as fact... And any number of other factors.

And Think Progress is full of shit. They're a news source with an agenda.

[quote name='Sporadic']Let's cut through the bullshit then.

The purpose of this thread isn't to point out that both issues deserve equal criticisms, it is so you can go "see they are just as bad as we are" and try to discredit the other source. That is your gimmick here. Problem is, you are using argument A & B to condemn one video while turning a blind eye to it being used in another video that you are fucking promoting in the same post.

You are trying to twist my posts to go your way but I am not going to fall into any of your traps.[/QUOTE]
Sigh.
Ok let's bring it down to the Msutt level you insist on.

Me: This iHari thread is interesting about supposed selective editing by breitbart. Look at all these people with their panties in a twist over it. I'll make one about the recent silly video produced by The American Center for Progress proved to be full of out-of-context shit to provide contrast. It will be interesting to see how many of those same people come get their panties in a twist, or don't.

You: Ooooh look! Thrustbucket made a thread! I hate that douchebag, I can't wait to troll it. *click* Skim skim skim.... Ok so I will assume Thrustbucket is trying to defend the Tea Party - yeah that's the point of this post. hmmm, ok.... out of context videos.... selective dishonest editing.... whatever.... Ooooh! I will also assume that he agrees with the title of that black panther video........ Oooh! Now I see an opportunity here to uses all my assumptions and 5% of his post to try and prove that asshole is a hypocrite at least!

Me: Wtf?

[quote name='Quillion']We need to quantify the argument. Is it your position that 1) no members of the Tea Party are racist, or 2) that the Leadership is not racist, or 3) that there is not a significant element of racism within the Tea Party?[/quote]
First, let me thank you for being the first to respond with some degree of a desire to discuss and have a cerebral discourse about the topic at hand.

I actually hold none of those positions. My only take on the Tea Party is that it doesn't even seem to be a coherent and cohesive organization. It seems to me to be the definition of a grass roots of people fed up for a number of reasons and a few people have attempted to try and elevate it to something more than that.

This thread isn't meant to defend them. It's just meant to attack Think Progress and provide contrast to iHari's thread on breitbart.

Clearly, 1) is false. There are racist members. Just as there are racist members of any other organization.
Absolutely true.

2) Is also demonstrably false. Yes, they have expelled his group, but that's a clear example of racism in the leadership.
Maybe. I don't know. The people I know of that did go to Tea Party ralley's don't know anything about it having a leadership. I think the word "Tea Party" has already split into several different meanings now, which is part of the problem in trying to quantify this.

3) May be true. My gut reaction is that the major motivating factor of the Tea Partiers is fear. For some, race is a driving force of that fear. Fear is also motivated by shifting demographics, rising unemployment, a nominal connection of our president with our enemies in his middle name, misleading reporting by the "blends of news and entertainment" masquerading as news and taken as fact... And any number of other factors.
I'd take it even further to say that every political move is driven by fear. Fear is typically the engine of politics. It just comes down to the degree of fear and how many people with that fear that usually end up changing or creating policy.

And Think Progress is full of shit. They're a news source with an agenda.
No argument there.

All the videos show is just how fucking stupid many of these Tea Party people are. (and beyond the usual- every group has a few morons). Many in the Tea Party are adept at using racial tones then pulling back a bit to claim "no racism here, man". Technicalities doesn't mean there is not racism.

Like the first guy calling Obama "too black". If you are unaware that calling an African American too black (whether you have a black wife or not) is racially charged, you are either the dumbest guy on the planet or he thinks you are.

The first guy is being racist, I'll agree with usickenme. There's no non-racially charged way of saying someone is "too black"

ThinkProgress is a liberal site; expect this stuff occasionally. At the very least, this isn't anything like the Breitbart debacle. Nothing like it.

Mostly because those people are still being racist assholes for the most part.
God, I'll admit the video is a piece of shit, but don't try and play it off as the savior of the tea party. That group is still a pile of shit.

They need to go ahead and form an actual party, because I'm getting sick of hearing about how one group isn't necessarily connected with another. That's a really weak excuse.

Yeah I don't need a video compilation to know that the tea party has racists in it. Thinkprogress is a liberal blog, which obviously has an agenda. Not surprised by that.

Again, I don't know what the difference is between the base of the Republican party and the tea party. Maybe the tea party is just a more enthusiastic subset of the Republican party.

They're just the people for who republicans aren't conservative enough. Something I still can't wrap my brain around, because the only thing that Bush wasn't conservative about was money. On the other hand, what he spent much of it on was very fitting.

bread's done
Back