Third Annual CAG NCAA March Madness Tourney Contest (Winning Scenarios In Post #203)

Well, I recovered somewhat after yesterday's debacle. I missed 5 yesterday, but only 2 today. Figures Chokizona would screw me up. Damn you Lute. I also picked Villanova over Kentucky. I'm in good shape, though, as NONE of my Sweet 16 teams have been eliminated yet. I don't think that has EVER happened to me in 10-15 tourney pools I've been in over the years.

Remember, getting everything perfect at this point is nearly meaningless - when it counts is the last few rounds. I did pretty horribly early on last year but by picking UCLA and Florida to make the final four I was able to snag 3rd place.

I'm tied with you, slidecage (and a bunch of others) in 25th place (I'm singling you out because you said you were toast yesterday). But that's only 3 points from 2nd (and 4 from 1st). Ain't no one won this thing yet ;).

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Damn you, Washington State![/QUOTE]

D'oh! There goes one of my Elite Eight... Everything else is OK though so far.

[quote name='io']D'oh! There goes one of my Elite Eight... Everything else is OK though so far.[/quote]
Same here. The only other game I've lost this round is Maryland. #-o

[quote name='swetooth9']sweet, i called Vandy[/quote]

Me too, but I missed the Maryland game, and the Pittsburgh game. Using the scenario generator thing, I've realized that I have almost no chance. Even if every game for the rest of the tourny goes along with my picks, I still wouldn't win by very much.

I think I still have a fair chance. I've only lost 2 Sweet 16 teams and no Elite 8 teams with one day to go. As long as there aren't any "huge" upsets, I may sneak by alright.

Well, Tennessee just beat Virginia. Glad I picked it. And it looks like a fair amount of the top brackets chose VA over TN. So there will be a little bit of a shuffle after yahoo updates.

noooo stupid VA losing! do you not know how to guard the inbounds pass to the one guy on their team that can shoot FTs!?!

Hmm I wish I would have seen this thread, I ended up joining the other CAG league. What is the top scores in this league? I'd like to compare the scores to the other league.

It's time to bump this up with the first day of Sweet Sixteen action ending with a great comeback victory by Ohio State. I unfortunately lost my only game today when Texas A&M fell just short of beating Memphis.

Memphis didn't win that game nearly as much as A&M lost it. Can they make a damn layup or get a rebound? Memphis missed like 5 shots on that last possession.

But I can still win if the rest of the games go my way, even though I'm in 54th place right now. I love that scenario generator. UCLA has to beat Kansas and UNC has to go all the way.

How are we going to be doing the prizes? We could do either the first 2, 3, 4, or 6, or 12 places get prizes. I think it would make a lot more people happy if the first 6 or 12 places could get them.

And i'm still kicking myself over forgetting to pick the champion. I put Kansas vs. Georgetown in the final game and was planning on picking Kansas. I wish i could still pick them since both teams are in the tourney still.

[quote name='ihadFG']How are we going to be doing the prizes? We could do either the first 2, 3, 4, or 6, or 12 places get prizes. I think it would make a lot more people happy if the first 6 or 12 places could get them.

And i'm still kicking myself over forgetting to pick the champion. I put Kansas vs. Georgetown in the final game and was planning on picking Kansas. I wish i could still pick them since both teams are in the tourney still.[/quote]
The way I've always done it, and how it's outlined in the OP, is that the top 3 scorers will get a crack at the prize pool. Unless I get any more donations for prizes, the first place winner will get to pick six prizes, second place gets three, and the third place gets the remaining two.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The way I've always done it, and how it's outlined in the OP, is that the top 3 scorers will get a crack at the prize pool. Unless I get any more donations for prizes, the first place winner will get to pick six prizes, second place gets three, and the third place gets the remaining two.[/quote]

Ok, and I thought there were 12 prizes but now i realize there are only 11 anyways.

It a shame that UNC and OSU have to face each other anytime before the National Championship since they've both played similarly great games in the past two days.

I still have a decent chance to win. If Florida wins it all and Ohio State makes it to the final game, I'll win, no matter what happens in the Georgetown-UNC game. But if one of them doesn't happen, then I can't finish any higher than 7th.

Good luck to everyone!

We've got our first two Final Four teams, Ohio State and UCLA. It looks like this will be a really good Final Four with #1 seeds taking up 3/4 of the FF spots.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']We've got our first two Final Four teams, Ohio State and UCLA. It looks like this will be a really good Final Four with #1 seeds taking up 3/4 of the FF spots.[/quote]

no no no, only 1 #1 seed will be in the final 4. Oregon and Gtown are going to win (i hope).

[quote name='luffy_kun']no no no, only 1 #1 seed will be in the final 4. Oregon and Gtown are going to win (i hope).[/QUOTE]

Oregon is my big bet. If I nail that and UNC comes through I will have picked the entire Final Four for probably the first time ever in my 20 years of doing tourney pools ;). It is not looking too good right now though. And now I need to go watch my daughter's soccer game so I'll find out how hosed I am when I come back.

If Georgetown wins I'll have picked the whole Final Four right. That doesn't affect me in the pool, though. All that I need is Florida and Ohio State.

Then again, it's not very hard to pick the whole final four when the lowest seed getting in is a two seed.

[quote name='Cow_tipper']If Georgetown wins I'll have picked the whole Final Four right. That doesn't affect me in the pool, though. All that I need is Florida and Ohio State.

Then again, it's not very hard to pick the whole final four when the lowest seed getting in is a two seed.[/QUOTE]

So I'm guessing Oregon lost? I haven't looked yet. Oh well, I'm done then...

[quote name='y2jedi']The Ducks were just another animal known as Gator Bait. Good game though.[/QUOTE]

Heh, I missed it (except for bits of the first half). Though I live in OR I'm no Ducks fan (nor Beavers fan for that matter). As far as I'm concerned, if Florida and UNC or Ohio State play in the final that is a total yawn-fest. I won't even bother watching. No drama or excitement there. UCLA only holds mild interest for me as they are a Pac-10 team, though I hate them with a passion so I'm conflicted there ;). I do have UNC winning the championship so I can still score points. If I could ever get this rumored scenario generator to work I could see if I even have a shot in the pool. Every time I bring it up I get a pop-up window with a broken image link and nothing happens when I click on it. Yeah, great tool there ;). Either that or MS sucks (XP + IE).

[quote name='craven_fiend']And no UNC in the Final Four, woo hoo.[/quote]

hey at least they got to the elite 8 :booty:

i had Gtown winning anyway...all my final four teams are alive!!!

but i did the scenario generator and i still can't win it all...if i get all my picks right, then the best i can do is tie for 2nd place :(

Every time I run it I get the invalid image. I also can't use store locator at Best Buy. I think mine is being flaky - maybe I should see if there's an update ;).

Doesn't matter at this point, if UNC lost that was my champion. I can only score one more win (UCLA) and that's it. D'oh! And I had been moving up (to 12th) as of this morning.

I am now out. UNC really could have won that. They were comfortably ahead the whole second half, and then they just quit playing their game with 5 or 6 mins to go.

It's down to that time where the winners are emerging quickly from the rest of the pack. Here's the Top 3 as it stands right now:

1. Romis - 107
2. Phantoms - 105
t-3. nymanium's choice - 104
t-3. Tyga24 - 104
t-3. Mathrandir - 104
t-3. Boston Collow FTW!!! - 104

Let's run through the scenarios for the Final Four games and championship (color coded for ease and these are bracket names to save confusion):

Florida wins, Georgetown wins:
1. Phantoms - 137
t-2. Tyga24 - 136
t-2. Boston College FTW!!! - 136

After that, if Florida wins:
1. Phantoms - 169
t-2. Tyga24 - 168
t-2. Boston College FTW!!! - 168

Or if Georgetown wins:
1. doc005 - 156
2. theeipi - 154
3. wubb's picks - 153

Florida wins, Ohio State wins:
t-1. nymanium's choice - 136
t-1. Mathrandir - 136
3. Cow_Tipper - 133

After that, if Florida wins:
1. Cow_Tipper - 165
2. Phantoms - 153
t-3. Tyga24 - 152
t-3. Boston College FTW!!! - 152

Or Ohio State wins:
t-1. nymanium's choice - 168
t-1. Mathrandir - 168
3. nyyanksfan20 - 162

UCLA wins, Georgetown wins:
1. Romis - 139
2. The Axl Roses - 129
3. Phantoms - 121

After that, UCLA wins:
1. Romis - 171
2. The Axl Roses - 161
3. DomLando - 144

Or Georgetown wins:
1. neudogs - 152
2. doc005 - 140
3. Romis - 139

UCLA wins, Ohio State wins:
1. luffy_kun - 133
2. rmb - 129
3. DomLando - 128

After that, UCLA wins:
1. DomLando - 160
2. Romis - 155
3. The Axl Roses - 145

Or Ohio State wins:
1. luffy_kun - 165
2. rmb - 161
3. slidecage - 125 (so much for it being over after the first round, right?)

See if that changes who you'll be rooting for next weekend.

Still have a shot at #3 for me I see. Thanks for the scenarios Frisky.

Had 7 of 8 Elite Eight teams, but only 2 of the 4 Final Four squads.

Even nicer is that I'd love to see a Florida - Gtown final with Gtown stopping the repeat, just as a basketball fan. Florida - Ohio State wouldn't be too shabby either. Should be an awesome final 3 games.

[quote name='swetooth9']my friend is actually going...lucky bastard...

anyway, what happens if people are tied for a place for the prizes?[/quote]

Yahoo has a tiebreaker system. Remember when you had to guess the score of the final game?

I had 7 of the last 8 and 3 of the Final Four, but I still am out - a testament to my horrible first round. Really, it stems from the way the pool is scored, which is basically that it's almost impossible to win without picking the actual champion.

No complaint on this pool at all (thanks again for setting it up Frisky), but I do prefer scoring systems where the points don't double every round. Sportsline.com lets you set your own point system for the groups, which is nice. On the other hand, it doesn't have the sweet scenario generator.

I like pools where you get more points for picking upsets. For example, if you correctly picked a number 1 seed to win, you get 1 point plus the points for that round. If you correctly picked a number 16 seed, you would get 16 points plus the points for that round.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's down to that time where the winners are emerging quickly from the rest of the pack. Here's the Top 3 as it stands right now:

Or Ohio State wins:
1. luffy_kun - 165
2. rmb - 161
3. slidecage - 125 (so much for it being over after the first round, right?)

See if that changes who you'll be rooting for next weekend.[/QUOTE]

if that happens the moon will explode LOL .

[quote name='ihadFG']I like pools where you get more points for picking upsets. For example, if you correctly picked a number 1 seed to win, you get 1 point plus the points for that round. If you correctly picked a number 16 seed, you would get 16 points plus the points for that round.[/QUOTE]
I like upset pools too, but the way I usually score it is to award a score based on the difference of the seeds when an upset occurs, and then have a round multiplier on top of that. So suppose a 16 beats a 1 in the first round - then the score awarded is 15 (15 x 1). If that same matchup happened in the second round (I know it's impossible) then a win by the 16 would give 30 points (15 x 2).

[quote name='nwaugh']I like upset pools too, but the way I usually score it is to award a score based on the difference of the seeds when an upset occurs, and then have a round multiplier on top of that. So suppose a 16 beats a 1 in the first round - then the score awarded is 15 (15 x 1). If that same matchup happened in the second round (I know it's impossible) then a win by the 16 would give 30 points (15 x 2).[/QUOTE]

That rewards upsets so much that you could probably win just by picking all upsets even if all your teams were out by the third round. Another way would be to just give a fixed bonus per upset, like maybe the round score again (e.g. get an extra 2 points for upsets in the second round, etc).

bread's done
Back