Third Party PS3 Controllers (Pelican, in particular)

madcatz1999

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Looking to pick up a third PS3 controller. It won't be used often, so it doesn't have to be great, but I would like for it to, you know...work.

I usually stick to first party controllers, for the obvious reasons, but I'm looking at this one (on sale for $14.99), as I have a GC for BestBuy that needs spending:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pelican...on+3/8648216.p?id=1195599766901&skuId=8648216

No rumble, no motion control, and no wireless are all minuses, of course, but I might be willing to overlook those things.

The prospect of spending $0.78 on a controller, after tax+shipping+GC just looks a lot more inviting than $45 from amazon on an official one.

Thoughts from CAGgers in general about third party controllers? I've heard many have stopped working completely after firmware updates. Anyone happen to have this one in particular?

There's a Best Buy brand (Rocketfish) PS3 controller that's Bluetooth/SIXAXIS/rumble capable on clearance for $15 (not listed on the web site, but it seems most stores have them). If you like or can get used to the 360 layout, that might be a better option.

Closest Best Buy to me is 75 minutes away, unfortunately :( Which kind of stinks, since pretty much all of their Gamer's Reward Zone promotions are in-store only. Don't really want to drive 2-1/2 hours round-trip for a controller -- I'd sooner spend $45 on a DualShock 3.

Checking reviews, it doesn't seem like too many people like the Afterglow controller -- but like I said, it's not really going to be used much, and when it is, it probably won't be by people that care (e.g. my 2-year old nephew or his mother).

Edit: I've also only played the 360 for like...30 minutes in my life, so the shape isn't really a plus for me :p It does look like a decent controller for $15, though, if I could've still found it available, or if I happen to be nearby a BestBuy at any time in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back