This here's a fine example of top notch police work.

Shinkuu Ryao

CAGiversary!
Police surround house in five-hour standoff, but nobody home
2006-07-16
by ANDREW BINION

PORT ANGELES -- A five-hour standoff between Port Angeles police and a reportedly suicidal woman with a knife Friday afternoon ended without a bang, or a whimper.

She wasn't there.

Police responded to a house on the 1500 block of South K Street at 1:30 p.m. after a woman told 9-1-1 dispatchers that her adult daughter had barricaded herself inside with a knife and was suicidal.

At least four officers and one Clallam County sheriff's deputy responded to the scene.

One officer watching the back of the residence was armed with an assault rifle.

Police closed off the street immediately in front of the house and began attempting to make contact with the woman.

First negotiators tried then the phone inside, then used a ``throw phone'' common in crisis negotiations, and finally blared a bullhorn siren.

Neighbors watch

Meanwhile, neighbors and children stood outside, watching.

A State Patrol bomb squad robot device was brought to the scene, Port Angeles Police Cpl. Kevin Miller said Saturday.

The robot was deployed inside the residence, but couldn't find her.

The house was empty the whole time, Miller said.

Officers cleared the scene at 6:17 p.m., he said.

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/sited/story/html/261307

Just a thought here, but part of this story is missing. What made them believe a suicidal woman is in there? Also, there is a sucidal person in there who isn't responding for 5 hours, anyone think maybe they should rush in, in case she kiled herself (maybe they could save her)? I mean, if your going to bother with a suicidal person (I say, let them kill themselves, then again, I knew a guy who slit his wrist with a butter knife, but I still called 911 because I couldn't leave him there and I didn't want to try and stop him from getting something bigger), shouldn't you at least try to save the person.

why are they taking out their guns against a SUICIDAL person...they would rather kill her instead of letting her kill herself?

There probably wasn't a suicidal woman at all; probably a decoy call. My friends used to do shit like that at the mall as kids; someone would start a fake fight to distract the mall police, while on the other side of the mall, three or more people would dump "Tide" into the water fountain.

[quote name='mykevermin']There probably wasn't a suicidal woman at all; probably a decoy call. My friends used to do shit like that at the mall as kids; someone would start a fake fight to distract the mall police, while on the other side of the mall, three or more people would dump "Tide" into the water fountain.[/QUOTE]

This happens in college too. Tide in the water fountain is a classic.

Assault rife? Bomb squad robot?

So what happens if the girl were really there and refused to put the cooperate? They gonna shoot her?

[quote name='bobo2k4']Assault rife? Bomb squad robot?

So what happens if the girl were really there and refused to put the cooperate? They gonna shoot her?[/QUOTE]

If they did I suppose she would've gotten what she wanted. Win win!

Sometimes suicidal people are also homicidal. And some people decide to just start shooting at the cops knowing they will be forced to gun them down - suicide by cop. Better safe than sorry.

Though with this level of response I'd think the woman they thought was home must have a history of violence that concerned the cops. Definitely more to the story here.

I had this happen up the street from me a few months back. This murder was supposed to be in a house. The police did the same routine as above sans the robot, and the police man at the back door. After 9 hours they shot tear gas into the house and no one was inside.

bread's done
Back