This just in: Gamestop to start selling dlc in store

y2jasper

CAGiversary!
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1091369p1.html

basically you will be able to go into the store, pick out DLC and have it transferred directly to your PSN or Xbox account. the part i find particularly interesting is you will be able to use gamestop credit for the purchases (or any other form of payment). this would make buying overpriced dlc (lik COD map packs) alot more bearable after doing some flipping.

Gamestop is the worst. It's just another way for them to rip you off.

"If you don't want to preorder Madden, how about this DLC? It can go directly to your harddrive so you don't have to do any work and can just be lazy! And if you trade in 5 games, you can get $1 off!"

I was wondering why when I was swapping out a disc yesterday, that the receipt said "No refunds or returns on dlc purchased in store". Now this explains why that's being printed on receipts now.

This just in "Gamestop management too busy clutching at straws to realize used business is fucked"

I mean do they think they can base a retail operation around DLC ??

LOL, no wonder GS was so cheeky and supportive of the VIP codes EA et al is doing. Nothing will change and instead they will now profit from selling the DLC codes for used games to play online, etc. Not only will they continute to sell used games well, but this makes it super easy to create MS (multi-SKU) transactions. Smart.

[quote name='Scorch']let's hope they do it on the site too so i can use some of my $10 off coupons[/QUOTE]

:eek:

Oh god, that would be excellent.

So how exactly does this work, do the store clerks add the DLC to your account, do they just give you the code(s), will they have system(s) in store for you to do it? Also, would you trust GS with your Gamer Tag(s)?

I think Gamestop sees the writing on the wall that soon all games will be digital and they're just trying to find a way to stay relevant when that does happen.

it's funny -- Gamestop is the only place that screws over the customers they cater to as well as the companies of the products they carry.

To be honest, I can't wait until they go out of business.

Yeah, good thing you can get PSN cards almost anywhere including Amazon now.

This is what gamestop should do but will never happen. Let people who buy that DLC to be able for free to download the DLC onto their system in store if they do not have internet at home.

[quote name='NoHo']Gamestop is the worst. It's just another way for them to rip you off.

"If you don't want to preorder Madden, how about this DLC? It can go directly to your harddrive so you don't have to do any work and can just be lazy! And if you trade in 5 games, you can get $1 off!"[/QUOTE]

I know. What really sucks is that we don't have free will and can't make our own decisions about what to purchase.

[quote name='evanft']I know. What really sucks is that we don't have free will and can't make our own decisions about what to purchase.[/QUOTE]

I never shop at Gamestop but I'm still going to be feeling the effects of people who do when we now have to pay an online fee for each game in order to play it online. Stop being silly.

Sorry guy but Gamestop has been doing this for awhile. They sold the Fallout 3 expansions (both as individual download cards and as the 2 expansion disc combos), the Tomb Raider Underworld DLC in retail package, and the Lost and the Damned as a retail DLC package in store.

As much as everyone hates them, it's a smart business move for Gamestop. Someone buying the game, "hey don't have to worry about finding the content for this game on the marketplace, just input this code and you're good to go." Also don't have to worry about credit/debit cards if its a kid under 18 or someone worried about privacy with having a card attached to their account (see all the horror stories of people who had their Live accounts set to auto renew on their credit/debit cards.)

I'm pretty sure there's already a thread here somewhere. I remember posting in it.

I fail to see how this is a problem or a bad thing.

It would be a great thing if they let people without high speed internet to download and upload the dlc on their system at a gamestop location.

This is actually awesome news, as DLC cards can potentially go on sale or clearance at retailers. Not to mention some of the other positives already listed.

I hope other retailers start doing this, because the only way I would walk into a Gamestop store and actually walk out with anything is if were giving games away for free. I like the idea of selling DLC content in store because then I could get stuff on XBL without having to buy MS points, but I don't like the idea of Gamestop making money off this by taking trades for DLC cards. Really though I just don't like the idea of Gamestop succeeding at anything they do.

[quote name='benjamouth']This just in "Gamestop management too busy clutching at straws to realize used business is fucked"

I mean do they think they can base a retail operation around DLC ??[/QUOTE]
Dude, of course. I mean, like 97% of their business is based on like DLC sales.

bread's done
Back