This just in, PC gaming is dying

Pirates aren't to blame. DRM is the reason why it's struggling. How to explain the income, I don't know.

[quote name='DPsx7']How to explain the income, I don't know.[/QUOTE]
Probably because the PC gaming scene we were all familiar with is dying.

But, enter the rise of MMOs and casual games...

NO, DRM isn't the problem, consoles and pirates are. PC games are relatively cheap these days but people still pirate them. Plus, with a recession, people aren't as likely to buy that new $200+ graphics card to play the latest games.

[quote name='SynGamer']NO, DRM isn't the problem, consoles and pirates are. PC games are relatively cheap these days but people still pirate them. Plus, with a recession, people aren't as likely to buy that new $200+ graphics card to play the latest games.[/QUOTE]
I hope you are being sarcastic.

New PC games can still go from 39.99-59.99 (Only a few though).

I think PC gaming still has Strategy games as it's best Genre that can only be truly enjoyed on the PC.

Sigh, you guys are missing the point. The thread's title is sarcastic. The OP and the article say that PC game sales have increased 2.1 Billion from last year.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Sigh, you guys are missing the point. The thread's title is sarcastic. The OP and the article say that PC game sales have increased 2.1 Billion from last year.[/QUOTE]

I know. I was reading the responses like 0.0

Let ppl think it's dying...I'll still prefer to buy a new PC every 4 to 6 years for $200.00 with a library of 323,453,329 free and legal games over console any day.

[quote name='Megazell']I know. I was reading the responses like 0.0

Let ppl think it's dying...I'll still prefer to buy a new PC every 4 to 6 years for $200.00 with a library of 323,453,329 free and legal games over console any day.[/QUOTE]

Lol and I am planning to spend 900+ dollars on just video cards. Not to mention snatching one of those Gulftown CPUs when it comes out.

But I guess that's what's nice about PC gaming, from one end of the spectrum to the other everybody can enjoy.

+1 on the games too, everything from, free and legal, to good old games from 90's, to the latest AAA titles on Steam.

[quote name='Actionhank']Lol and I am planning to spend 900+ dollars on just video cards. Not to mention snatching one of those Gulftown CPUs when it comes out.

But I guess that's what's nice about PC gaming, from one end of the spectrum to the other everybody can enjoy.

+1 on the games too, everything from, free and legal, to good old games from 90's, to the latest AAA titles on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Exactly,

PC gaming offers choice and a platform where the consumer has a greater control over their 'content'/product selection.

I love having my PC connected to my projector with an 80" screen playing a 4 player game on 4 wireless controllers that cost me less than the average price of 1 console system + 1 game.

If ppl think it's dying...drop the roses and move on. PC gaming will be fine without ya :)

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Sigh, you guys are missing the point. The thread's title is sarcastic. The OP and the article say that PC game sales have increased 2.1 Billion from last year.[/QUOTE]

From the article, "However, it wasn't all good news. While the overall market grew, "most countries in North America and Europe" saw revenue decline "10-15% from record highs in 2008," with the growth of the "Asia Pacific region" market helping offset the decline. "

Shows the market is drastically changing. Japan/China grow and all other markets are down? Don't know if it shows growth since the largest markets were down 10-15%. We also don't have any profit #'s. Console games have been having record revenues the past several years, but that hasn't stopped several of the developers from folding and others from bringing on new business models (download content, DRM, pay to play, internet only) to try and gain a profitable business model.

Lots of questions, fewer answers from this article is what I see.

[quote name='smallsharkbigbite']From the article, "However, it wasn't all good news. While the overall market grew, "most countries in North America and Europe" saw revenue decline "10-15% from record highs in 2008," with the growth of the "Asia Pacific region" market helping offset the decline. "

Shows the market is drastically changing. Japan/China grow and all other markets are down? Don't know if it shows growth since the largest markets were down 10-15%. We also don't have any profit #'s. Console games have been having record revenues the past several years, but that hasn't stopped several of the developers from folding and others from bringing on new business models (download content, DRM, pay to play, internet only) to try and gain a profitable business model.

Lots of questions, fewer answers from this article is what I see.[/QUOTE]

Well isn't that good since there is plenty of priacy in the Asia? You can't go anywhere over there (outside of Japan) without running into a kisok selling pirated music, games and movies. So legitimate sales rising in that region is a good sign. And remember that NA and the EU were in an economic slump last year.

As long as people still make RTS, TBS, and FPS games, there will always be PCs.

That and the graphics dept (Nvidia and AMD) won't let it die. They will sponsor people to make game for them, or develop games themselves.

And I guess as long as Valve and Blizzard are still active, they will continue to thrive on PC.

I read it. Same with the guy I quoted.

-Him: "I can't explain the income though."
-Me: "Because MMO/Casual gaming increased."

I get the sarcasm of the post, however interesting is Everything is always an extreme with many consumers (myself including DRM on POP: Two Thrones made me swear of PC gaming for years). On the other hand Industry Companies want to make enormous amounts of money without effort. COD:MW2 went against many pc standards thus didn't sell well at all compared to gigantic sells on consoles. But Battlefield bad company 2, stayed loyal to it respective platforms and gets nothing but better than par reviews and "apparently" is selling well across all platforms.

Price is the biggest factor to me nowadays, yes we have pirated, many of those pirated games we might never have even bought... in retrospect I feel bad for pirating any good games, hence I do not pirate a game I want, thus I will not pirate BF:BC2 just waiting for a good price.... on the console front the day I can't buy USED and is the day I become a Primarily PC player again, if I can't resell a game then I will stick with the ability to upgrade my game experience and bring new life to old games via new graphic settings with every vid card upgrade.

Somewhat off topic: good read about the industry of Motion control/causal games.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...or_Progress_Throw_Away_Our_Entire_History.php

[quote name='mogamer']Well isn't that good since there is plenty of priacy in the Asia? You can't go anywhere over there (outside of Japan) without running into a kisok selling pirated music, games and movies. So legitimate sales rising in that region is a good sign. And remember that NA and the EU were in an economic slump last year.[/QUOTE]

I think it's too hard to make any true analysis from the report. The report says that over 50% of consumers bought digital items. Is $2.1 billion game sales or is it made by selling items that would have been included in the past to consumers? A more meaningful analysis would include sales and the categories the sales were made in.

And the U.S. dollar tanked last year. If everything is converted back the U.S. dollar, is it possible that say a 10-15% decrease in Europe sales is actually more U.S. $ in 2009 than it was in 2008? This would inflate all the world's sales (except for China since they lock to the dollar). They don't really get to how they got their #'s but I doubt they did something to remove currency fluctuation.

[quote name='kainzero']I read it. Same with the guy I quoted.

-Him: "I can't explain the income though."
-Me: "Because MMO/Casual gaming increased."[/QUOTE]
I guess you didn't read it well
"Most of that growth can be attributed to the growing popularity of digital distribution and paid downloads,"

:lol:

want to know whats sad, even with pc picking up some, about a year ago i got a new i7 puter i built so i can game more and i end up gaming less on it and switching mostly to consoles. idk consoles lately just been getting more of the types of games i like, just sick of military shooters and mmorpgs :)

[quote name='Kevfactor']want to know whats sad, even with pc picking up some, about a year ago i got a new i7 puter i built so i can game more and i end up gaming less on it and switching mostly to consoles. idk consoles lately just been getting more of the types of games i like, just sick of military shooters and mmorpgs :)[/QUOTE]

Just wait till Starcraft 2 is released. I think the gaming PC industry is gonna go crazy for a while as people dust off their PCs and realize that they want more powa and rezolution [/l33t talk =P].

I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread, but I thought I'd contribute:

I am in the SC2 beta. I have been testing it for around 2 weeks now. If anyone has any questions, just ask and I will try and give you the answer to them.

Some Stuff:

- Zerg are crazy.
- Protoss Motherships are a huge pain if you ever meet them.
- Colossus melts mass marines in 2 seconds.
- Reapers are good for harassment, but nobody uses them anymore because they're too slow to build/expensive, and they don't scale well as the game goes on.
- You build nukes out of the ghost academy, not the CC
- MULE is great for gathering minerals, comsat station is a must.
- Thors kind of suck in my experience. They're so big that the enemy just immediately focus fires them, without even thinking about it. No real strengths that I can see, specially since they're ridiculously expensive.
- Vikings aren't as good as they seem. They're pretty weak vs air and ground. Definitely not enough to defeat any kind of mass of air units.
- Ghosts start out with EMP ability, and Snipe.
- Roach rushes are very prevalent right now, so is MMM (marine marauder medivac)
- Marines are useful throughout the majority of the game, they are now the mainstay of the terran army.
- Marauder slowing effect opens up a lot of micro possibilities.

Just in the last few weeks, I picked-up the following PC games: Napoleon; Dawn of War 2: Rise of Chaos; and Supreme Commander 2. Tomorrow, C&C 4 comes out, and Civ 5 is around the corner. These games hardly reflect the death rattle of the PC - I'd say we're in a golden age.

Amazing how many people don't read

I know sarcasm is hard to tell with text but I thought I made it sarcastic enough, guess not lol

[quote name='itachiitachi']I guess you didn't read it well
"Most of that growth can be attributed to the growing popularity of digital distribution and paid downloads,"[/QUOTE]
Games like Bejeweled are digital distribution and paid downloads.
Same with items in certain MMOs. And heck, MMOs in general.

[quote name='Josh5890']As long as we have Duke Nukem Forever, there will be PC gaming.[/QUOTE]

Did you (or anyone) ever play the 'Duke Nuke'em' mod for Solder of Fortune?...I know it was a long time ago but that mod had some serious potential.

[quote name='Megazell']Did you (or anyone) ever play the 'Duke Nuke'em' mod for Solder of Fortune?...I know it was a long time ago but that mod had some serious potential.[/QUOTE]

No, I don't think so. I can't remember the last time I played Solder of Fortune.

[quote name='kainzero']Games like Bejeweled are digital distribution and paid downloads.
Same with items in certain MMOs. And heck, MMOs in general.[/QUOTE]
Bejeweled was always digitally distributed so I doubt that's what they are talking about, especially which would have been apparent if you read the article.
"Most of that growth can be attributed to the growing popularity of digital distribution and paid downloads, as boxed retail games saw another downturn and accounted for "less than 20% of total revenue [in 2009]."

Also you can look at steam which saw it's user bases base grow by 5 million and sales up over 200%. while WOW's user base didn't grow at all.

bread's done
Back