This Shaq-Fu'er walked away with the Nintendo motherload for FORTY DOLLARS

omg i am so fucking envious. Why cant that shit happen to me?
That guy will make SOOO much money! How much you think he'll make from it?

[quote name='Roufuss']I hope someone gets that NES Earthbound and rips the ROM completely.

As I recall, isn't the ROM fan written?[/QUOTE]
thats was already released as Earthbound Zero. It was Nintendo translated

[quote name='Zahiti']omg i am so fucking envious. Why cant that shit happen to me?
That guy will make SOOO much money! How much you think he'll make from it?[/quote]
Oh, he'll make over a grand on the F-Zero carts alone. I think they all went for $25-$275 each.

The guy says he got them from a garage sale, but honestly, doesn't that seem just a little too lucky? Ex-Nintendo employee, trying to cover any legal bases? It just seems like such an impossible find, it's hard to wrap my head around!

[quote name='Roufuss']I hope someone gets that NES Earthbound and rips the ROM completely.

As I recall, isn't the ROM fan written?[/quote]

This is the second widely-known Earthbound Zero cart. The ROM came from the first one. A fan-translation probably existed before that, though. Lost Levels did a really nice article on the whole deal.

[quote name='such great heights']
This is the second widely-known Earthbound Zero cart. The ROM came from the first one. A fan-translation probably existed before that, though. Lost Levels did a really nice article on the whole deal.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a ton, I couldn't remember if the translation was the official one or not but now I know, and knowing is half the battle ;)

This makes no sense at all. If the guy was ex-Nintendo, wouldn't he know the value of those games? He would have to - which makes someone wonder why he would basically give away money, as it were.

I call BS. :bs:

[quote name='argyle']This makes no sense at all. If the guy was ex-Nintendo, wouldn't he know the value of those games? He would have to - which makes someone wonder why he would basically give away money, as it were.

I call BS. :bs:[/quote]
He is selling the F-Zero carts for a tidy sum. They're the rarest thing on there. Very, very rare game, beloved franchise = money. The next most interesting thing on there is the Ken Griffey demo cart, but come on. It's a Ken Griffey demo cart.

Yeah, the Zelda cart's nice for a Zelda collector, but from a non-specific game collector's POV, demo carts and very rare things like F-Zero are far more interesting and unique.

[quote name='argyle']This makes no sense at all. If the guy was ex-Nintendo, wouldn't he know the value of those games? He would have to - which makes someone wonder why he would basically give away money, as it were.

I call BS. :bs:[/quote]

Who knows? ex-Nintendo could mean ex-janitor for all we know. Howard Johnson's disgruntled banker? You never know.

of course the story is bullshit. unless the "ex-nintendo employee" is brain dead, there's just no way he'd sell those at a garage sale for $40.

just read the description-- it's your typical ebay bullshit -- implausible story, hastily written in all caps, no breaks or anything...the guy is a total liar. but I dunno why or where those came from...

edit: ahhh, looks like he has just joined digitpress...guy is sooo fishy.
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86536&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

don't think anyone cares though.

why'd I have to open my stupid mouth? I feel like Lisa Simpson :roll:

I think i'd have a hard time buying a SNES cart with some label tape and "Zelda 3" written on it as a proto Zelda game.

I call bullshit on the story, as any "ex-nintendo" employees that managed to swipe proto carts did it for collecting and they know how much they're worth. Those proto carts are rare for a reason, in that nintendo holds onto them and didn't just allow people to take them.

Anyone else up for storming this guy's house and stealing his games? ;) Lucky motherfucker.. i can't say i wouldnt' be tempted to sell them either though. Maybe if I waited 20 years they'd pay my future kids' way to college or something.

[quote name='jer7583']I think i'd have a hard time buying a SNES cart with some label tape and "Zelda 3" written on it as a proto Zelda game.

I call bullshit on the story, as any "ex-nintendo" employees that managed to swipe proto carts did it for collecting and they know how much they're worth. Those proto carts are rare for a reason, in that nintendo holds onto them and didn't just allow people to take them.
[/QUOTE]

yep. and he's saying the guy worked on the Nintendo College tour or something...yet he happens to have an Earthbound NES proto. :roll:

Basically i think this guy is selling off his collection (or the earthbound/Zelda carts are faked, less likely) and maybe is an ex-nintendo employee himself. He just made up the story to draw more attention to his auctions and increase the bidding. It makes sense.

Doubtful. The guy has some prettygood pictures, and some very well known DP members can tell right off the bat whether some of that stuff was fake or not. Some of the rare games are in the process of changing hands right now, so we will know shortly.

As per Zelda III (nes), a prototype may exist. He is currently trying to sell it.

[quote name='such great heights']Oh, he'll make over a grand on the F-Zero carts alone. I think they all went for $25-$275 each.

The guy says he got them from a garage sale, but honestly, doesn't that seem just a little too lucky? Ex-Nintendo employee, trying to cover any legal bases? It just seems like such an impossible find, it's hard to wrap my head around!

This is the second widely-known Earthbound Zero cart. The ROM came from the first one. A fan-translation probably existed before that, though. Lost Levels did a really nice article on the whole deal.[/QUOTE]

agreed, nice score if its true, but probably this isnt a true story.

I call BS. :bs:[/QUOTE]
Motherfucker lives in the HAMPTONS, dude probably wipes his ass with $100 bills. I think he could care less about making a few grand off some old videogames.

Not saying this makes the guy's story more credible, it's just I don't think the guy selling them gave a shit.

[quote name='briansraregames']Some look legit but others don't

The dates on the boards of a few are way off

Zelda III - 1998?
Earthbound 1988?

At least on those two, I call BS[/QUOTE]
The Zelda 3 board says 1990 on it. Both boards are a year before their JPN release, so nothing funny there...

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Motherfucker lives in the HAMPTONS, dude probably wipes his ass with $100 bills. I think he could care less about making a few grand off some old videogames.

Not saying this makes the guy's story more credible, it's just I don't think the guy selling them gave a shit.[/quote]I believe the guy bought them from the garage sale on his way to the Hamptons. I doubt people in the Hamptons have garage sales with old video games.

i don't see the need for the story though-- why not just quietly sell them instead of making this huge ruckus? it seems that would be smarter. yet, here this guy is all over the DP forums openly talking about how much he is making and feeding a bunch of lines

[quote name='Apossum']i don't see the need for the story though-- why not just quietly sell them instead of making this huge ruckus? it seems that would be smarter. yet, here this guy is all over the DP forums openly talking about how much he is making and feeding a bunch of lines[/QUOTE]

Free advertising to create a buzz about the games, kind of reminds me of the haunted Nintendo that sold for much more then a NES would normally sell for although this isn't nearly as far fetched as the haunted NES.

Here's a link I found about the haunted NES.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3139781&did=1

Interesting read according to the article this guy actually got to barrow the system lol

[quote name='FOnewearl']Free advertising to create a buzz about the games, kind of reminds me of the haunted Nintendo that sold for much more then a NES would normally sell for although this isn't nearly as far fetched as the haunted NES.

Here's a link I found about the haunted NES.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3139781&did=1

Interesting read according to the article this guy actually got to barrow the system lol[/quote]

I hope the guy who bought it feels like an idiot.

Actually, if the story is true, the guy who sold the games at the garage sale could sue for part of the profit. There are laws against taking advantage of others, even unintentionally. It was pretty stupid for the guy selling on Ebay to post that story.

[quote name='Butterfly719']Actually, if the story is true, the guy who sold the games at the garage sale could sue for part of the profit. There are laws against taking advantage of others, even unintentionally. It was pretty stupid for the guy selling on Ebay to post that story.[/QUOTE]

I think he told the guy after he went back to get more stuff. Not only that, I don't think he could sue or do anything about it. He sold the games to someone, and they simply sold them again. Thats like saying the Goodwill can sue me for part of the profit of a copy of Super Mario RPG I sold.

bread's done
Back