Those infamous circular scratches

WordLife565

CAGiversary!
Yeah,,,looks like it happened to my NCAA Football 12, and now it doesn't work anymore.

What's the quickest/cheapest way to fix this?

I have a local video store by me that has a machine which removes scratches from disc and they charged $3 to do it. Maybe just call a few by you and see if anyone offers the same thing.

Thats why i go ondemand for everything, well + i hate hunting and changing disks:)

usually i just get a white undershirt and lightly rub for 5 mins on both sides. :)

I'm assuming he was talking about the scratches you get when your game
comes out of the tray and keeps spinning making a deep circular scratch
around the whole disc. I doubt a shirt or banana peel will take that out.

yeah, I'm about to go to play n trade to see what they can do.

Worst case scenario, I rent one from blockbuster and do an old switcheroo.

[quote name='WordLife565']Play N Trade couldn't fix it, but I did the ol switcheroo at Blockbuster.[/QUOTE]

...well played sir. :applause:

[quote name='WordLife565']Play N Trade couldn't fix it, but I did the ol switcheroo at Blockbuster.[/QUOTE]

The next customer that gets it will report it scratched and it'll be tied to your account, so they may come back at you for it.

In my lifetime I think I did the old Blockbuster switcharoo no less than 10 times and they have never come after me. I have not rented a game in years though so maybe that are more strict about it.

Plus its Blockbuster...the company that has been in bankruptcy for 10 years strong.

I remember when I was a kid and my ps1 busted, my dad rented a system and pulled the old Blockbuster switcheroo by switching out the insides. I wouldn't try that crap nowadays though.

[quote name='Kaelestis']I remember when I was a kid and my ps1 busted, my dad rented a system and pulled the old Blockbuster switcheroo by switching out the insides. I wouldn't try that crap nowadays though.[/QUOTE]

that's quality parenting.

I kinda felt bad, but I was so pissed at the fact a 60 dollar game I bought like 2 weeks ago was permanently unplayable because I slightly pushed the console as I was the living room, while it was on.

It was literally just a minor budge, but oh no, the disk just had to slip out of the tray and get eaten by Mr. Xbox.

lol, Microsoft is on some bullshit for that. It's the most agitating of all the Xbox 360 faults.

[quote name='WordLife565']I kinda felt bad, but I was so pissed at the fact a 60 dollar game I bought like 2 weeks ago was permanently unplayable because I slightly pushed the console as I was the living room, while it was on.

It was literally just a minor budge, but oh no, the disk just had to slip out of the tray and get eaten by Mr. Xbox.

lol, Microsoft is on some bullshit for that. It's the most agitating of all the Xbox 360 faults.[/QUOTE]

uh....every console does that. theres a BIG warning label on the xbox. how the hell/why do you hit your xbox when its playing?

Is your xbox flat or up?

after some problems with uncharted 2 i always play my consoles flat . since it's fighting gravity the other way i think it make the best sense to do that. :)

btw might as well just steal the game lol. there plenty of ways, just map out the stores security cameras and go in the bathroom to check for alarm beepers. had a friend that use to work vegas security actually, he said unless you catch someone in the act it's really tough to catch someone. :)

[quote name='yahoosale14']uh....every console does that. theres a BIG warning label on the xbox. how the hell/why do you hit your xbox when its playing?[/QUOTE]

1. There was NEVER a warning label on the O.G. xboxes, only on the new slim ones.

2. The problem isn't as much of an issue on other consles as it is with the Xbox. The Xbox 360 lacks a mechanism (a 25 cent per console mechanism by the way) that keeps the disc in the tray. So if you slightly budge the console, the disc will come out of the tray and get "eaten alive" by the xbox, causing that scratch.

can't really defend Microsoft on this one, trust me I've dealt with pretty much every system, and have intentionally moved them much more aggressively than I have my xbox, and NONE of them have even harmed the disc, some may have left a few scratches, but none have ever left a disc permanently unusable. I would understand the ring scratch, If I moved my xbox from horizontal to vertical while the disc was in, but just pushing it sideways accidentally, that's bull.

This is just one of the things that Microsoft screwed up because they wanted to release their system early. They even stated themselves, that they didn't want to spend and extra 25 cents per console, because that would have meant like 11 billion extra dollars total, and it would have delayed xbox 360s release.

Please don't claim every system does it, because I have NEVER seen any other system treat disks the way an xbox 360 does. Even while your xbox is completely stationary and horizontal, it scratches up your disks and eats away at them while it is playing.

[quote name='WordLife565']1. There was NEVER a warning label on the O.G. xboxes, only on the new slim ones.

2. The problem isn't as much of an issue on other consles as it is with the Xbox. The Xbox 360 lacks a mechanism (a 25 cent per console mechanism by the way) that keeps the disc in the tray. So if you slightly budge the console, the disc will come out of the tray and get "eaten alive" by the xbox, causing that scratch.

can't really defend Microsoft on this one, trust me I've dealt with pretty much every system, and have intentionally moved them much more aggressively than I have my xbox, and NONE of them have even harmed the disc, some may have left a few scratches, but none have ever left a disc permanently unusable. I would understand the ring scratch, If I moved my xbox from horizontal to vertical while the disc was in, but just pushing it sideways accidentally, that's bull.

This is just one of the things that Microsoft screwed up because they wanted to release their system early. They even stated themselves, that they didn't want to spend and extra 25 cents per console, because that would have meant like 11 billion extra dollars total, and it would have delayed xbox 360s release.

Please don't claim every system does it, because I have NEVER seen any other system treat disks the way an xbox 360 does. Even while your xbox is completely stationary and horizontal, it scratches up your disks and eats away at them while it is playing.[/QUOTE]

cant really defend stupidity, sorry. this happened to me once, only because i was using a wired controller and i yanked the controller and thus the ps2 moved and scratched the disc.

and fwiw, the manual clearly stated in a grayed/bolded box not to move the console, which should be common sense, but godforbid anybody reads the manual or uses common sense anymore. its not microsoft's fault.

I agree, the OP is stupid he should have done the common sense thing and built a fucking castle with a moat around his xbox.

Yahoosale you are a god damn idiot not only that you are the worst kind of idiot because you basically have to break all logic in order to fool yourself into being right. Because apparently in your world things like accidents dont happen, dogs dont run by and knock things over, kids dont pull on cords, people dont trip or become distracted by..you know things in the world.

The irony is that a person with common sense would understand that any number of millions of things could happen to cause an xbox to move while playing even slightly. Only an idiot would jump to the conclusion that people are picking up their xbox and running around with them.

I also like the fact you admit to doing the very same thing.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I agree, the OP is stupid he should have done the common sense thing and built a fucking castle with a moat around his xbox.

Yahoosale you are a god damn idiot not only that you are the worst kind of idiot because you basically have to break all logic in order to fool yourself into being right. Because apparently in your world things like accidents dont happen, dogs dont run by and knock things over, kids dont pull on cords, people dont trip or become distracted by..you know things in the world.

The irony is that a person with common sense would understand that any number of millions of things could happen to cause an xbox to move while playing even slightly. Only an idiot would jump to the conclusion that people are picking up their xbox and running around with them.

I also like the fact you admit to doing the very same thing.[/QUOTE]

how do you "accidentally" push something? most people have their xbox in these castles called tv stands, where the xbox is stationary and out of reach. i didn't do the very same thing, i had a wired controller and yanked the controller...OP's situation is different. its not the fact that he somehow pushed his console, but that he blames microsoft for his mistake.

derp derp derp

[quote name='yahoosale14']how do you "accidentally" push something? most people have their xbox in these castles called tv stands, where the xbox is stationary and out of reach. i didn't do the very same thing, i had a wired controller and yanked the controller...OP's situation is different. its not the fact that he somehow pushed his console, but that he blames microsoft for his mistake.

derp derp derp[/QUOTE]

I blame microsoft for not providing a mechanism to keep discs in place.

Which is their fault, and they THEMSELVES have publicly stated that they made that mistake.

I've never seen another console mistreat discs like the Xbox 360.

You can keep your xbox perfectly still, and it will still leave minor scratches on your disk through normal playing, and eventually those minor scratches can lead to permanent damage to the disk.

I'm not saying i'm not at fault. I don't even care anymore, because I got a new game through Blockbuster switcheroo anyways. But you can't sit there and say Microsoft didn't drop the ball with the disk tray, and you can't sit there an act as if people don't accidentally budge their consoles.

All it takes is for me, my dog, or someone who doesn't know any better, to trip over the huge power brick, the ethernet cable, etc., to shift the xbox, causing the disk to come out of the tray (which is stupid), and be killed by Mr. Xbox 360.

There is a reason why only Xbox 360 users consistently report this happening to their disks. Because there IS a problem.

It's okay though, because I got my disk, and outside of gaming, I don't fuck with Microsoft anyways.

bread's done
Back