thoughts on open box tv at BBUY

Right before the super bowl they had a 10% off open box coupon so I bought the Vizio 60" led. Was $999, open box $774, then $697+tax with coupon. Tv works perfect, picture is fine. They happened to have the box, they bubble wrapped it for me, put it in box, taped it shut and loaded it in my truck for me. 4 things to check: obviously operation of tv, screen and frame (there was one that was still pricey with discount that had a 4" gouge in screen), ask if there are any more in the stock room(mine wasn't set up on the floor they brought it from stock room and set it up for me), and look for remote (they were going to give me another $40 discount cause at first we couldnt find the remote, plus they were gonna throw in a universal for free!). Overall if the price is right for you I wouldn't hesitate. On a side note, for what its worth, I bought an LG LCD floor model from circuit city about 7years ago and it still works perfect.

Oh and they consider the tv new...you can buy warranty on them or I believe use their basic tv return policy (which I'm not familiar with)

Ive had so-so experience with them. As stated stay as far from the store displays as possible. They crank all the settings to max to make them pop in the store. This can hurt them down the road. Your really supposed to break in tv's too, especially plasma's. A return is a return, god only knows what its been through.
Id say its a risk at best. If the savings are there maybe but I dont even look at them anymore. Ill just buy new at a cheaper store, which almost every place is.

Id be very skeptical...

I purchased a plasma tv from online before christmas and it had problems where the lamp burst after an hrs use. Replaced tube and it did the same thing. Never had a problem with a mitsubishi until this tv, so I took it back and best buy refunded my money in store.

I then came back to the store the next day to see the same tv I returned sitting on the sales floor as an open box item. Of course this was after I already explained the problem to them, and how a simple swap of the bulb only fixed things for about an hr.

[quote name='kit352']Ive had so-so experience with them. As stated stay as far from the store displays as possible. They crank all the settings to max to make them pop in the store. This can hurt them down the road. Your really supposed to break in tv's too, especially plasma's. A return is a return, god only knows what its been through.
Id say its a risk at best. If the savings are there maybe but I dont even look at them anymore. Ill just buy new at a cheaper store, which almost every place is.[/QUOTE]

Displays aren't cranked. They go on the wall straight from the box. I know this, as I do the displays in a store. The only thing done in the store to make them 'pop' is that the lights in the home theater section of the store are usually turned off. If anything, yes, I might not get a display only because it has been on 10-12 hours a day for the length of time it has been displayed, but the warranty is still the same, and yes, you can get the service plan the same as any new in box product in the store. March is the time to get some good deals on open box displays, as the new models will be rolling in and all the old displays will be sold off when the new in box product is sold through.

[quote name='FragileRock']Displays aren't cranked. They go on the wall straight from the box.[/QUOTE]

...and those default settings are turned WAY too high. There's a reason they call the default settings "torch mode".

[quote name='pacifickarma']Was it a store display? If it was, stay far away![/QUOTE]

My parents bought a floor model from there and its still running till this day (5-6 years later). Toshiba.

I bought an open box Dynex 19" a few years ago before Christmas and after the discounts i paid about $100 bucks with the extended warranty. It is in my kitchen and actually has a nice picture. Would not have payed full price though as speakers suck but attached to external speakers it works well while my wife is cooking.

[quote name='Wazzup4567']My parents bought a floor model from there and its still running till this day (5-6 years later). Toshiba.[/QUOTE]

They don't make them like they used too, I have a Sony Wega that's around 7 years old, the son of a bitch wont die. The wife wont let me buy a new one until it's done, I've only had to replace the lamp once.

[quote name='DurbanBrown']If the discount is significant id say go for it[/QUOTE]

This would be the only reason, if your not sure you should also look on Amazon and get a squaretrade warranty.

Maybe learn how to get into the Service Menu on the particular TV you're thinking of purchasing. Then, when in the menu, you can see exactly how many hours the TV has been on/in use. If it's significant, it might not be worth a purchase.

bread's done
Back