THQ - 75% off selected PC Digital Games

mbierden

CAG Veteran
75% off selected digital PC games at store.thq.com!!!

Feature Titles:
Metro 2033 (Compatible with Steam Account)
Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® - Chaos Rising
Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® - Gold Edition
Company of Heroes® Gold Edition
Titan Quest™ Gold Edition
Supreme Commander™ Gold Edition
Saints Row 2
Darksiders

List of all discounted PC games can be found at the below site:

http://store.thq.com/promo/86254000

Deal Valid from February 3rd - 7th, 2011

Picked up Chaos Rising (missed out on it when it was first released because of my backlog) and it activated on Steam no problem. Downloading now. Can't beat that price, I love the Warhammer RTS games.

Started playing the beta for Retribution yesterday and I'm really liking the improved Imperial Guard. Now, bring on the Necrons!

[quote name='TTO']Is the extended download service worth it?[/QUOTE]

This is actually a great question. I've never used THQ's download service before, but the terms of the EDS imply that without it you only get one download from THQ. And if you lose that copy (hard drive crash, deletion, etc) you are SOL unless you've purchased EDS. Does anyone know for sure? Because that sounds rotten unless you back up your own software (would it even allow that?).

As someone else said, it becomes a moot point if you can register on Steam. ;)

edit:
After making the purchase, their download FAQ is misleading. One bullet tells you how to re-download their software but doesn't mention an extra fee. The next bullet explains that EDS allows you to download your purchase again. So the implied situation is one download. That's it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Zippon']After making the purchase, their download FAQ is misleading. One bullet tells you how to re-download their software but doesn't mention an extra fee. The next bullet explains that EDS allows you to download your purchase again. So the implied situation is one download. That's it.[/QUOTE]

Considering that the game uses limited installs (10-15, and you can request a new key from MS i hear?) and cd-keys for drm, it seems asinine to even bother with only one download from the THQ store. =\ Well not to be a fanboy, but now I sure know i -won't- be buying anything during this sale that isn't compatible with Steam. (Yes, I realize i could back up my installers. Still disgusts me though.)

Considering Red Faction: Guerrilla, CoH, and Titan Quest. If I already own Torchlight, is Titan Quest necessary?

Of course, since these don't seem to activate on Steam, that might be a bit of a dealbreaker.

I like steam because say, when I buy an indie game direct from the developer, often I will get an email with a direct download link. And that's fine, except I forget I bought the game, or delete the email. Or upgrade to a new computer. I forget I've bought games on steam all the time, but I can see them and install as needed.
Even if I add games to steam, i can't add the info of where the install information is and when dealing with multiple computers, putting the game on them becomes that much harder.
I have dozen of games from small developers, or gog or gamersgate, direct2drive, impulse, eastore, greenmangaming, etc and as the years pass more will fall through the cracks.
I suppose I could buy less games, or keep better track of what I buy. But I like giving money to game developers, and Steam keeps track for me.

Picked up DoW2 and Chaos Rising and immediately tied them to Steam.

Like most in this thread, Steam is my preferred way of dealing with PC gaming.

[quote name='jazyje']Is it true that MX vs ATV Reflex can be activated on steam?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I bought it yesterday on the chance it would activate on Steam, and it did. Already d/l'ed and played it.

[quote name='msu89dawgs']Yes, I bought it yesterday on the chance it would activate on Steam, and it did. Already d/l'ed and played it.[/QUOTE]

Is it worth getting -- I don't see any reviews or forums on steam...?

[quote name='sublime90']just wanted to say i did it....i bought darksiders[/QUOTE]

Does Darksiders activate on Steam? I know it's on the list, but wanted to make sure before I purchased it. Thanks

[quote name='kart007k']I bought Supreme Commander and its not available on steam, but its on their list[/QUOTE]

Supreme Commander 2 can be registered on Steam, the first one can't

you can get saints row 2 for the pc for $4.99

Comes with fss so if you have amazon prime or $20 of other stuff you wanna buy it is $2.50 cheaper and you get a hard copy of the game

how is dawn of war 2? im a huge fan of rts games. been playing age of empires, starcraft, warcraft, company of heroes since i can remember.

i watched a review saying that it isnt based around building a base, but squads. and that there are weapon/gear drops, which it thought was really cool. how long is the campaign, and im asuming i can do skirmishes vs ai, or is it only campaign and then online play?

and and is chaos rising the expansion to it?http://store.thq.com/store/thq/en_U...Dawn-of-War--Chaos-Rising/productID.164916500

[quote name='jazyje']IS DOW Soulstorm any good -- the reviews say the graphics are outdated.....[/QUOTE]

Yeah its pretty much an ok campaign with two new factions that are meh. Overall, meh. Dark Crusade and the original are good to go though.

[quote name='psynide']how is dawn of war 2? im a huge fan of rts games. been playing age of empires, starcraft, warcraft, company of heroes since i can remember.

i watched a review saying that it isnt based around building a base, but squads. and that there are weapon/gear drops, which it thought was really cool. how long is the campaign, and im asuming i can do skirmishes vs ai, or is it only campaign and then online play?

and and is chaos rising the expansion to it?[/QUOTE]

Its much closer to Company of Heroes imo so if you like that one you will like this one. The campaign with sidemissions I think is over 12 hours, but it depends on how you play. A lot of the sidemissions repeat and can sometimes be monotonous. You can do skirmishes offline against the CPU. It also has Last Stand which was pretty cool but its online only though. And yes Chaos Rising is the expansion.

Did anyone run into a payment authorization failed from it? I called my CC and I have no lock on my card, so it seems to be THQ store's end.

On the fence for METRO 2033, reviews weren't great but not bad either. It looks like a S.T.A.L.K.E.R./F.E.A.R. hybrid.... also didn't I see it on a STEAM sale not too long ago?
P.S. I love STEAM because I don't have to hunt down all the patches for my games every time I reinstall!

[quote name='GoD_Hammy']On the fence for METRO 2033, reviews weren't great but not bad either. It looks like a S.T.A.L.K.E.R./F.E.A.R. hybrid.... also didn't I see it on a STEAM sale not too long ago?
P.S. I love STEAM because I don't have to hunt down all the patches for my games every time I reinstall![/QUOTE]

I can recommend this game. I didn't care much for STALKER's open world. Metro 2033 is a linear game and has some incredible environmental detail and effects. It's kinda a horror shooter though in some regards so be sure you like shooting up monsters before buying. You also need a decent PC to enjoy all the effects.

just got Darksiders and try it on steam and work just fine!

wanted to try this game and for the price of a rental i get to keap it:bouncy:

[quote name='fortunado']I can recommend this game. I didn't care much for STALKER's open world. Metro 2033 is a linear game and has some incredible environmental detail and effects. It's kinda a horror shooter though in some regards so be sure you like shooting up monsters before buying. You also need a decent PC to enjoy all the effects.[/QUOTE]

I'm running a 6 core amd, 5770 1gb, and 8 gigs of ram, so I should be ok...;)

also, do they send me the activation code so I can just activate it on STEAM and download it from STEAM?

[quote name='Ichigo1993']I was going to pick up Metro 2033 until I saw the computer specs...is it really that graphics heavy?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's very demanding. You can scale it a ll back of course but it does to your PC what Crysis did when it first came out ... that is, made you wish you had a better one. :wall:

I might finally pick up Soulstorm at $5. The only Dawn of War game/expansion I don't own. Heard kinda bad things about the balance and stability, but hell. I'm a huge Dawn of War fan, and I've always wanted to try it and see it for myself. Can try stomping through the Soulstorm campaign before Retribution releases.

Does anyone know how PC downloads from THQ work with retail/brick & mortar purchases of a game in a series?

Say I have copy of Company of Heroes and Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts. How will a PC download copy of Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor work with those two games?

Thinking about getting Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor and Warhammer 40K: Soulstorm, but would like all have them to sync together.

Just picked up DoW 2 and Chaos Rising. Amazing effin' deal. I was literally INCHES from buying both off of Steam for 50. I'll take 12.50 instead!

bread's done
Back