Thrift Store Thread 2012

picked up

Salvation Army:
WCW/NWO World Tour (N64) for $2.50 but it doesn't work, wonder if I can exchange it or get a refund

Goodwill:
Full Spectrum Warrior (Xbox) for $5
Fable (Xbox) $5 (one with a bonus DVD)

They also had a PSone (small one) for $10 with 1 controller and power cable. I almost picked it up but really no games I want to play on it

Paypal took $10
Ebay wants $24

I hate their fees, but still I can't complain overall.

I also am sending Priority with bubble wrap and $350 of insurance so that'll cost some.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']Paypal took $10
Ebay wants $24

I hate their fees, but still I can't complain overall.

I also am sending Priority with bubble wrap and $350 of insurance so that'll cost some.[/QUOTE]

You might want to think about a sturdy box with packing peanuts.

[quote name='yourlefthand']You might want to think about a sturdy box with packing peanuts.[/QUOTE]

Yep just sent it off with just that. And got $350 of insurance on it and tracking. $18.04. Buyer paid $15 in shipping so no problem there.

[quote name='yourlefthand']You might want to think about a sturdy box with packing peanuts.[/QUOTE]

I concur. I had a friend ship me a rare and OOP blu-ray in a bubble mailer. The thing is he wrapped it at least 4 times around so it was essentially the size of an apple inside. It arrived with one side of the bubble mailer black and what looked like tire tread. The movie inside was destroyed, the blu-ray case crushed in pieces, even the cover art was damaged and wrinkled.

Anyone else noticing a trend of ridiculously high prices at thrift stores? I'm seeing quite a few of my stores are either looking stuff up on ebay or just pulling crazy number out of their ass. I saw an older iPod dock for 40.00 today, some D&D Games for 25.00 each, and individually priced PC Games! Some even 8-10 dollars each for Windows 95 Games that were disc only and not even worth anything.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Anyone else noticing a trend of ridiculously high prices at thrift stores? I'm seeing quite a few of my stores are either looking stuff up on ebay or just pulling crazy number out of their ass. I saw an older iPod dock for 40.00 today, some D&D Games for 25.00 each, and individually priced PC Games! Some even 8-10 dollars each for Windows 95 Games that were disc only and not even worth anything.[/QUOTE]

Yep it's all in how knowledgeable the managers that work there are about products. Sometimes I go to some pawn shop and I'll see Mario Kart Wii and they'll try to sell it for $39.99 so obviously if I want to flip some games that's not the pawn shop I'll go to (or even if I'm wanting to buy games for myself) While there's this other pawn shop that sells all PS3/360/Wii games for $10 no matter what game and all PS2/GC/Xbox for $5.

Yeah thrift prices rise based on what sells. I still haven't posted my big finds yet (still taking pics) but I was buying sealed games for .99 a month ago. Now they are 4.99 each for cart only in some cases.

I'm all for being "knowledgable", but just because something is listed for a certain price on ebay doesn't mean that's what it sells for and that's where the problem comes in with so-called knowledgable managers. A friend of mine saw the board game Omega Virus at a thrift store, used, with a tag on it that says "50.00 - sells on amazon for 250.00!" - which is obviously a squatter waiting on someone to eventually overpay for it.

Also, if the person pricing it is smart enough to actually know how to look up sold items on ebay, that doesn't mean that you're going to get the same at your local thrift shop. eBay is a worldwide marketplace. Sell it there if you want that much for it.

[quote name='Cmosfm']I'm all for being "knowledgable", but just because something is listed for a certain price on ebay doesn't mean that's what it sells for and that's where the problem comes in with so-called knowledgable managers. A friend of mine saw the board game Omega Virus at a thrift store, used, with a tag on it that says "50.00 - sells on amazon for 250.00!" - which is obviously a squatter waiting on someone to eventually overpay for it.

Also, if the person pricing it is smart enough to actually know how to look up sold items on ebay, that doesn't mean that you're going to get the same at your local thrift shop. eBay is a worldwide marketplace. Sell it there if you want that much for it.[/QUOTE]

Exactly this. Someone I know tried to sell something to me that they won for free. The item is priceless in the sense it's promo swag. It was listed on ebay for $70 BIN... so they offered it to be for just under the ebay asking price. Key word ASKING. It was on there for weeks and no one touched it. None were ever sold.

Wow I couldnt even plan this if I tried. Saw the same $20 dirty system only fatty PS2 I mentioned in the other Thrift Store thread the other day, some guy was carrying it around. I was looking through the big blue bins they just rolled out, clean fatty PS2 with controller, cables, controller extension cable, and memory card for $25. Only PS2 games they had were copies of NBA 2K11 so I only know it plays PS1 games and DVDs ATM.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']I also had them stamp "fragile" on the box. I recommend doing that anytime you ship anything, because why not? It's free for them to do that.[/QUOTE]
I doubt they'll care, but hopefully it'll get there safely nonetheless. I receive a lot of "Fragile"-stamped packages that look like they were on an episode of Will It Blend?, so I'm somewhat convinced that people take that as an invitation to be as rough as possible. People are assholes like that. Or maybe they think the package is insulting them..."Who you calling 'fragile', you stupid box?!"

Got a ps2 with network adaptor, controller, and memory card for 6 bucks. Great deal considering my goodwill usually sells them for around 20 with no extras. Also found a skyrim collectors edition box marked 20, but only had the dragon statue inside. It seems like whenever I find a disc game, it is always empty. Anyone else have this problem?

Did you check if the disc was behind the counters? All my local Goodwills keep 90% of the discs behind the counter and put the cases out.

[quote name='vantheman']Got a ps2 with network adaptor, controller, and memory card for 6 bucks. Great deal considering my goodwill usually sells them for around 20 with no extras. Also found a skyrim collectors edition box marked 20, but only had the dragon statue inside. It seems like whenever I find a disc game, it is always empty. Anyone else have this problem?[/QUOTE]
It only had the statue inside? That's still not bad imo.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It only had the statue inside? That's still not bad imo.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I was hoping for the game as well, I could get it for 60 now anyways brand new. They also don't have a counter area to keep things :/

It could be in a CD book under a register, I've seen that too. I would definitely ask if a lot of the cases are missing the disc, only logical reason for that.

[quote name='Bing147']It could be in a CD book under a register, I've seen that too. I would definitely ask if a lot of the cases are missing the disc, only logical reason for that.[/QUOTE]

Well I probabaly should have mentioned they wrote "dragon only on the sticker. Seems weird someone would donate just the statue, and keep the game.

Not a thrift store but I work at a library and we have a cart of books that we sell and today I found on it Theme Park Rollercoaster, The Hobbit, and Jak And Daxter the Precursor Legacy for PS2 all complete for $1 apiece.

Weve never had games besides CDROMs so someone mustve donated these.

Stay classy goodwill!

WC2rP.jpg

This bundle was only $19.95.

I picked up a seemingly-sealed copy of tomb raider underworld today for DS. Does anyone know if that game had 'real' shrinkwrap, or did it always look like a reseal?

[quote name='yourlefthand']Stay classy goodwill!

WC2rP.jpg

This bundle was only $19.95.[/QUOTE]

Haha I saw a similar wtf bundle, a fat PS1 no cables or controllers with a cheap 2.1 sound system for $29.99

I have a question, i found a copy of photoshop cs2 for windows for .10 cents. I checked on adobe, the serial that i came with was used. think i can i get anything for it on ebay with no working serial?

[quote name='kobun']I have a question, i found a copy of photoshop cs2 for windows for .10 cents. I checked on adobe, the serial that i came with was used. think i can i get anything for it on ebay with no working serial?[/QUOTE]

a $1000 easy

[quote name='kobun']I have a question, i found a copy of photoshop cs2 for windows for .10 cents. I checked on adobe, the serial that i came with was used. think i can i get anything for it on ebay with no working serial?[/QUOTE]
Adobe doesn't like people reselling their stuff.
A lot of professional software is like that, they have "no resell" clauses in their EULA.

[quote name='MYFIREMANISHUGE']trololol i doubt this

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/gpr/index.cfm

check the serial number, if it's not registered it should be good to sell

registered stuff is kinda useless, some people might buy it but in the end you might have to refund it anyway.[/QUOTE]

We already know the serial doesn't work. And that the "$1,000 easy" thing was a joke.

Don't bother trying to sell it on eBay. It will get pulled within a few hours of posting and you will get slapped with a "Copyright Violation" on your account. That happened to me when I tried to sell a full CS2 bundle.

tried some different Salvation Army and Goodwill stores and not much, they were in the downtown area and everything was severely overpriced only saw some crappy games and a GREAT deal at the Goodwill for an original Xbox with 2 controllers and no cables only $39.99!!! What a deal. Was looking through the book section at the Goodwill and did find one gem, not gaming related but a pretty incredible find (unless you are a liberal :lol:) and only $2.99

[quote name='ZombieToast']I'm pretty sure they have that at the dollar store.[/QUOTE]

Trollin trollin trollin...

I'm not sure how much it is really worth to a hardcore collector, but you won't find a signed first edition at the dollar store.

lol nice find on the book, hannity fan myself. My pickup from yesterday

Bonkers Game Gear $1
Taz-Mania Game GEar $1
Jurassic Park Game Gear $1
The Sims Deluxe Edition PC complete $1
The Sims Superstar with cdkey $1
Heavy metal Fakk 2 (i think it is complete it has the game, bonus disk, and heavy metal 2000 in the case) $1
Warcraft Battlechest complete $2.99
NIghtmare creature guide $.25
Abe's Odyssey guide .25
saturn rf switch .99
Xbox 360 feedback racing wheel no power cord but has foot pedals $10

[quote name='yourlefthand']Trollin trollin trollin...

I'm not sure how much it is really worth to a hardcore collector, but you won't find a signed first edition at the dollar store.[/QUOTE]

They are available for $15 on avg.

Cost of purchase: $2.99
Potential sales price: $15
Misleading American voters: priceless

[quote name='yourlefthand']Trollin trollin trollin...

I'm not sure how much it is really worth to a hardcore collector, but you won't find a signed first edition at the dollar store.[/QUOTE]

Looking on ebay, no one wants it for under $10 shipped.

[quote name='slowdive21']They are available for $15 on avg.

Cost of purchase: $2.99
Potential sales price: $15
Misleading American voters: priceless[/QUOTE]

lol.

There are some listed on Amazon for $50. Why would someone pay that much for his signature?

I'm relatively politically conservative, but a seller would have to pay me to take that book.

:lol:Sean Hannity is on the same level as Bill O'Reilly to me. They're both big loudmouths who pretend they'll let someone with an opposing view talk and then they talk over them. Or they give the conservative guest the lions' share of the talk time and just at the end of the segment they let the liberal get in two words before saying the shows over or they gotta go to break.:lol:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol:Sean Hannity is on the same level as Bill O'Reilly to me. They're both big loudmouths who pretend they'll let someone with an opposing view talk and then they talk over them. Or they give the conservative guest the lions' share of the talk time and just at the end of the segment they let the liberal get in two words before saying the shows over or they gotta go to break.:lol:[/QUOTE]

No different than Maddow or Olberman.

Let's not pretend any of these type of pundits (either side) are different than one another.

hit the other thrift store these people run in the next town over and had a great pickup again

Genesis Model 2 (already had cords at home)
32x no cords
Sega CD (no cords)
Saturn no cords (have a complete set of cords and a controller)
NES Zapper
Diablo 2 strategy Guide
$20 (already tested the genesis and saturn and both work, the sega cd powers on but i dont have any games to make sure it works, need the cord to use the 32x)

Knuckles Chaotix 32x
Doom 32x
Star Wars 32x
Sonic and Knuckles Genesis
Double Dragon 3 genesis
$5 (tested the genesis games havent been able to test 32x yet)
LA Noire guide $2
Final Fantasy Origins Black label mint condition $2.50

and now the big one
Donkey Kong Jr Game and Watch CIB with all paperwork still in baggie
$15 (gotta get batteries but complete boxed ones go for 100 plus)

[quote name='tarouza']hit the other thrift store these people run in the next town over and had a great pickup again

Genesis Model 2 (already had cords at home)
32x no cords
Sega CD (no cords)
Saturn no cords (have a complete set of cords and a controller)
NES Zapper
Diablo 2 strategy Guide
$20 (already tested the genesis and saturn and both work, the sega cd powers on but i dont have any games to make sure it works, need the cord to use the 32x)

Knuckles Chaotix 32x
Doom 32x
Star Wars 32x
Sonic and Knuckles Genesis
Double Dragon 3 genesis
$5 (tested the genesis games havent been able to test 32x yet)
LA Noire guide $2
Final Fantasy Origins Black label mint condition $2.50

and now the big one
Donkey Kong Jr Game and Watch CIB with all paperwork still in baggie
$15 (gotta get batteries but complete boxed ones go for 100 plus)[/QUOTE]

Wow, pretty nice pickups especially for the price. I hit a goodwill I don't get to very often today but nothing much to be had. Picked up a nice copy of Morrowind Xbox (non-GOTY) for $3.

F-Zero Maximum Velocity
Pokemon Stadium
Art of Fighting (SNES)
Donkey Kong Land
Catherine (PS3)
Teen Titans: Fear Itself
Microsoft Office 2004 for the Mac

Just stocking up for the next lowball I have...whenever that will be.

After finding Panzer Dragoon Saga a few weeks ago I've come up completely empty (big shock) I did see NBA Jam T.E. for Saturn at one Goodwill but decided to pass on it. (MAME)

bread's done
Back