Thrift Store Thread 2012

[quote name='lude21']Picked up a minty NES GBA SP with Castlevania and Zelda (GBA NES classics) sold as a bundle for $4.99. Was very happy to find that. Picked up a pearl blue GBA SP for $3.99 a couple weeks ago at the same place.[/QUOTE]
I think I know what store you're talking about, since I saw that pearl blue GBA SP and passed on it.

After a week of :yawn: finds, I finally got something decent. My GW had a Target clearance Lexmark Genesis s815 brand new in box for $20. Not bad for an all-in-one that was originally $150, and an especially nice find since my old all-in-one just died on me.

On the flip side, I got psyched out by lazy workers. Found a Logitech race wheel for the PS3, looked brand new and sealed, for $6. I picked it up and it felt awful light, so I cut the tape and sure enough, there was a plastic toy truck in the box. Glad I checked before I bought it.

And then a few days ago, the winner of the "no concept of real world value" award was a Kinect unit in the glass case, priced at..... $250!! Supposedly it was brand new, but still. I talked to the manager and asked her if that was 250 or 25 with a misplaced decimal point. She laughed, knowing someone messed up, and said the morning manager did that and she would look into it in the morning, since they were getting ready to close. I went back the next day and it was priced at $80. Better, but still more than I'd spend.

I stopped coming to this thread because it depresses me that I can never find anything good around here. However, I did find a Game Gear in near new condition for $10 at my local Savers, pretty happy with that. Usually they (and my local HUGE Salvation Army) just have old maddens and sport games.

I went to a local GW yesterday and found an empty gameboy carrying case and an empty game gear carrying case... no games/systems in sight. :/

[quote name='swim83']Found a brand new Guitar Hero 3 Game and wireless Controller bundle for $29.99 at Goodwill. Should be a solid flip[/QUOTE]

Uhhhh really????!!! I see those guitars all the time for $4 apiece and the games for $3 or $4. The GW I went to today had complete drums, microphone, guitar, and Rockband 1 taped together for $15.

EDIT- I think Biglots has brand new GuitarHero and DJ Hero bundles for $20-$25 as well. Found this too http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-Of-7-Xb...359?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41665f3f27

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='swim83']Found a brand new Guitar Hero 3 Game and wireless Controller bundle for $29.99 at Goodwill. Should be a solid flip[/QUOTE]

Some of these are really controllers are really expensive and others are really cheap, why??

Terrible day, got exactly one game, just the original Halo for 5.00. Not great, but the copy I got at a garage sale a few months ago for 1.00 won't work and I've been wanting to replay it.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']Not really a thrift store, but I picked up a mint copy of Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends Season 2 for $6 ($7.99, buy 3 get 1 free) at CD Tradepost the other day. [/QUOTE]

Craziest thing. I read your post last night and thought . . . "wow, nice find" and "it would be cool to find that."

This morning, at Goodwill, I scooped up some carts and then I saw the Foster's in the DVD section. Then I thought "that can't be the set I read about on CAG . . ." Damn, it was!

I'd be a fucking moron if I didn't buy Shaq Fu (for .99).

[quote name='sp00ge']After a week of :yawn: finds, I finally got something decent. My GW had a Target clearance Lexmark Genesis s815 brand new in box for $20. Not bad for an all-in-one that was originally $150, and an especially nice find since my old all-in-one just died on me.
[/QUOTE]

And now I know why these went on clearance and didn't even sell well even then. Goddamn thing won't print. Just spits out blank pages, and the only thing tech support suggested was to return it and exchange for a new one. It supposedly has a three-year warranty, but it's nigh impossible to set up a warranty claim for this model. I keep getting an error on the website.

Do some Goodwills send their inventory straight to their online auction website?

The Goodwill I constantly check just put a Famicom up for auction and I know I've never seen that in store

[quote name='evilwrath666']Do some Goodwills send their inventory straight to their online auction website?

The Goodwill I constantly check just put a Famicom up for auction and I know I've never seen that in store[/QUOTE]

Yes, some of them put stuff directly online if they think it's an item that can bring in some money.

I went to two Goodwills today. This chain is getting worse and worse everyday! In the case I see Goodwill is now charging for old games being "sealed" wtf! Metal Gear Solid VR Missions $50 because "brand new in shrink wrap." Tekken long box $25 probably because it was different. The next Goodwill I went to had a Colecovision and some controllers for $250. They also had a NES Advantage for $25. Gah! When I think all hope is lost I turn to the toy aisle and find this gem for $3.

Almost made the trip worth it. But it does go quite nicely with the Pac Man trash can I found last week. haha

[quote name='kermit036']I went to two Goodwills today. This chain is getting worse and worse everyday! In the case I see Goodwill is now charging for old games being "sealed" wtf! Metal Gear Solid VR Missions $50 because "brand new in shrink wrap." Tekken long box $25 probably because it was different. The next Goodwill I went to had a Colecovision and some controllers for $250. They also had a NES Advantage for $25. Gah! When I think all hope is lost I turn to the toy aisle and find this gem for $3.

Almost made the trip worth it. But it does go quite nicely with the Pac Man trash can I found last week. haha[/QUOTE]
I think I have a Pac-Man placemat that looks something like that around here somewhere or other.

[quote name='kermit036']I went to two Goodwills today. This chain is getting worse and worse everyday! In the case I see Goodwill is now charging for old games being "sealed" wtf! Metal Gear Solid VR Missions $50 because "brand new in shrink wrap." Tekken long box $25 probably because it was different. The next Goodwill I went to had a Colecovision and some controllers for $250. They also had a NES Advantage for $25.[/QUOTE]

When I see that shit it just makes me want to punch someone since I know it will never sell and either get trashed or out the back door and into an employees car in a month.

[quote name='spmahn']When I see that shit it just makes me want to punch someone since I know it will never sell and either get trashed or out the back door and into an employees car in a month.[/QUOTE]
Either that or you go in when it hasn't sold, find a manager and say 'listen this has been here for X amount of days/weeks, could I ask you if you'd take less on it?'. It never hurts to ask.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Either that or you go in when it hasn't sold, find a manager and say 'listen this has been here for X amount of days/weeks, could I ask you if you'd take less on it?'. It never hurts to ask.;)[/QUOTE]

and it never works either! ;)

It's worked for me sometimes at the local Salvation Army stores. But nine times outta ten someone will come by and buy the $4-5+ games and CD's/DVD's in their case or behind the counter. It just depends on whether or not the other shoppers hitting up those stores feel those prices are a deal compared to myself and the other cheap deal hunters around here.

More power to them if they wanna pay the inflated prices, as it puts more money into the coffers of the organizations to fund their programs.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']@schultzed Better do a destroy video of the Shaq-Fu for fuck's sake.[/QUOTE]

Nooooooo! Give it to these guys: http://www.saveshaqfu.com/

staq2.png

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It's worked for me sometimes at the local Salvation Army stores. But nine times outta ten someone will come by and buy the $4-5+ games and CD's/DVD's in their case or behind the counter. It just depends on whether or not the other shoppers hitting up those stores feel those prices are a deal compared to myself and the other cheap deal hunters around here.

More power to them if they wanna pay the inflated prices, as it puts more money into the coffers of the organizations to fund their programs.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, the people buying that stuff are the same dealers that list items on eBay and Amazon at ever more inflated prices fishing for people to buy them.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Nooooooo! Give it to these guys: http://www.saveshaqfu.com/

staq2.png
[/QUOTE]
Or better yet, ship it to Cheapy with a note of gratitude for creating CAG(and bankrupting many of us:razz:).
[quote name='spmahn']Honestly, the people buying that stuff are the same dealers that list items on eBay and Amazon at ever more inflated prices fishing for people to buy them.[/QUOTE]
It's only fishing if people don't buy the items. Obviously people believe some of the items ARE worth that much if they're paying those prices.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Or better yet, ship it to Cheapy with a note of gratitude for creating CAG(and bankrupting many of us:razz:).

It's only fishing if people don't buy the items. Obviously people believe some of the items ARE worth that much if they're paying those prices.[/QUOTE]

People don't buy the items, and that doesn't seem to deter anyone, but I've had this discussion here before and won't have it again.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Either that or you go in when it hasn't sold, find a manager and say 'listen this has been here for X amount of days/weeks, could I ask you if you'd take less on it?'. It never hurts to ask.;)[/QUOTE]

I wish that worked. The big thrift stores around here have sticklers for managers. "No negotiating. This is a charity." You'd think that they'd want to push out as much as they can instead of leaving crap on a shelf for months or years. Like the sign says, they're a charity. Does it really matter if it's sold for below market value? They get the stuff for free anyway.

For $3 apiece I bought the 2009 Guinness Book Gamer's Edition and a GameStop PS3 controller.

This one to be exact.

804174b.jpg

I don't like the triggers, but $3 for an extra controller (that I need), can't be beat.

[quote name='Andami']I wish that worked. The big thrift stores around here have sticklers for managers. "No negotiating. This is a charity." You'd think that they'd want to push out as much as they can instead of leaving crap on a shelf for months or years. Like the sign says, they're a charity. Does it really matter if it's sold for below market value? They get the stuff for free anyway.

For $3 apiece I bought the 2009 Guinness Book Gamer's Edition and a GameStop PS3 controller.

This one to be exact.

804174b.jpg

I don't like the triggers, but $3 for an extra controller (that I need), can't be beat.[/QUOTE]

I'm on a friendly level with a few of the local GW managers and sometimes haggling does work, but only if the item has been sitting for at least a few weeks to month. I've managed to snag a few NIB Target furniture items this way. Also, the bigger the item, the more floor space they take up, and the more willing the manager is to get it out of their store.

You guys must be lucky, the managers at the Good Will stores I visit are by-the-book types. I get the same response every time "Once we price an item, it has to stay that price. If it doesn't sell, it goes to the store where they process everything for either live or online auctions."

[quote name='blindinglights']You guys must be lucky, the managers at the Good Will stores I visit are by-the-book types. I get the same response every time "Once we price an item, it has to stay that price. If it doesn't sell, it goes to the store where they process everything for either live or online auctions."[/QUOTE]

Probably for the sake of his job, that is a good thing. Kind of needs to be that way at big thrift stores. Allowing managers to adjust prices opens up a can of worms that probably shouldn't be opened.

2012-06-02_22-30-51_892.jpg

I swung by a random store up on vacation today and ended up getting this lot for $30. Everything works, and I even got to play with the Atari no problem. The PS3 controller is a DS3 of which I almost bought a new one last week for $35. Extremely excited, but I know virtually nothing about Atari products if anyone could share some insight.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Don't they let you check the discs before purchasing them?[/QUOTE]
Well like I said they have them all sealed in plastic bags so you have to buy before you can "open it." For 3.99 it's not a big deal considering but if I ever buy from them again I will definitely check before leaving.

[quote name='Sess']Well like I said they have them all sealed in plastic bags so you have to buy before you can "open it." For 3.99 it's not a big deal considering but if I ever buy from them again I will definitely check before leaving.[/QUOTE]
Okay, gotcha. I figured you meant it was just in a Ziploc bag or something. We don't have Savers around here, so I don't know how they normally do things.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Okay, gotcha. I figured you meant it was just in a Ziploc bag or something. We don't have Savers around here, so I don't know how they normally do things.[/QUOTE]

You will see soon enough. I have a shit ton of pics to post. ;)

I wonder if there is a "Savers" around the PIttsburgh area....

Went to the thrift store today, picked up Lord of the Rings Battle for MiddleEarth 2 and Civil War A Nation Divided (both 360) for $4.95 a piece. Neither are games I would play that much but for the price I figured why not.

Also found 7(!) PS1 systems of various prices for some reason, and X-men for genesis for $1.95. Wish I would have grabbed that, but I like to have the Box/Manual for my genesis games.

[quote name='MasaTFC']I wonder if there is a "Savers" around the PIttsburgh area....

Went to the thrift store today, picked up Lord of the Rings Battle for MiddleEarth 2 and Civil War A Nation Divided (both 360) for $4.95 a piece. Neither are games I would play that much but for the price I figured why not.

Also found 7(!) PS1 systems of various prices for some reason, and X-men for genesis for $1.95. Wish I would have grabbed that, but I like to have the Box/Manual for my genesis games.[/QUOTE]

No Savers that I know of. Where did you pick up the 360 games from? By the prices, I'm guessing Red White and Blue? I had BFME2 a few years back and have been on the lookout, so good find there.

[quote name='sp00ge']No Savers that I know of. Where did you pick up the 360 games from? By the prices, I'm guessing Red White and Blue? I had BFME2 a few years back and have been on the lookout, so good find there.[/QUOTE]

Nailed it!:applause:
My gf is always finding really REALLY nice dresses at the RWB on 65 outside Sewickley, so we go about once a month. I am pretty happy with the 360 game finds there yesterday, but about a month ago I found a Warhammer 40K Chaos Marine Codex book there that is like the coolest thing I ever bought at a thrift store Ever. Evvveeeeerrrr.

Great store. The one on the other side of the liberty tubes had like 50 Intellevision games (with box and manual) about 4 months ago. Sadly, I was not able to afford any of them at the time.

[quote name='MasaTFC']
Great store. The one on the other side of the liberty tubes had like 50 Intellevision games (with box and manual) about 4 months ago. Sadly, I was not able to afford any of them at the time.[/QUOTE]
I remember seeing all those...

[quote name='MasaTFC']Nailed it!:applause:
My gf is always finding really REALLY nice dresses at the RWB on 65 outside Sewickley, so we go about once a month. I am pretty happy with the 360 game finds there yesterday, but about a month ago I found a Warhammer 40K Chaos Marine Codex book there that is like the coolest thing I ever bought at a thrift store Ever. Evvveeeeerrrr.

Great store. The one on the other side of the liberty tubes had like 50 Intellevision games (with box and manual) about 4 months ago. Sadly, I was not able to afford any of them at the time.[/QUOTE]

We used to hit both RWB stores twice a week, but haven't been to one in about a year. The finds were getting less and less, and what we did find was getting more and more expensive, so I kind of just gave up.

We're over in Irwin/Greensburg, so it's a bit of a drive for us, especially having to deal with the Squirrel Hill tunnel traffic and having two kids to lug around, so we usually stick to the stores around here. If we head out that way, we try to hit all of the GWs in a big loop on our way to and from.

[quote name='sp00ge']And now I know why these went on clearance and didn't even sell well even then. Goddamn thing won't print. Just spits out blank pages, and the only thing tech support suggested was to return it and exchange for a new one. It supposedly has a three-year warranty, but it's nigh impossible to set up a warranty claim for this model. I keep getting an error on the website.[/QUOTE]

Not to keep derailing, but a happy end and a kudos to Lexmark. After leaving a scathing review on Amazon, I was asked to contact Lexmark's "Lexmark Listens" department about the problem. After providing them the info they needed, yesterday they shipped me a new (refurb?) printer, via UPS Next-Day. New printer showed up an hour ago and I already hooked it up and it works like a champ. Now to pack up the dead one and slap the return label on it.

Not a bad $20 spent, methinks! They even gave me a new set of ink cartridges for it!

[quote name='schultzed']Craziest thing. I read your post last night and thought . . . "wow, nice find" and "it would be cool to find that."

This morning, at Goodwill, I scooped up some carts and then I saw the Foster's in the DVD section. Then I thought "that can't be the set I read about on CAG . . ." Damn, it was!

I'd be a fucking moron if I didn't buy Shaq Fu (for .99).[/QUOTE]
That's fantastic. I'm glad I was able to help someone else rescue a copy from the streets. :D

[quote name='sp00ge']We used to hit both RWB stores twice a week, but haven't been to one in about a year. The finds were getting less and less, and what we did find was getting more and more expensive, so I kind of just gave up.

We're over in Irwin/Greensburg, so it's a bit of a drive for us, especially having to deal with the Squirrel Hill tunnel traffic and having two kids to lug around, so we usually stick to the stores around here. If we head out that way, we try to hit all of the GWs in a big loop on our way to and from.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya, some of the stuff there is a bit pricey. When I bought those games, they had a regular old Xbox game for 8.95, which didn't make any sense. Some of the dresses my girlfriend bought were on the pricey side for a thrift store, but they ended up being half off so it worked out. I do like how they have clothes that are "new" with tags on them.

Just curious, are you familiar with this "Thrift King" in Hempfield township?

[quote name='MasaTFC']that was an impressive find wasn't it?[/QUOTE]
On second thought...
It was that RWB, but it was in January and when I saw it there were only about 10+, no where near 50... and they were $2 a piece.
Maybe they had more in the back or something. When I saw them they were in the cd/movie racks kinda behind the counter.

I only remember because I let someone know about it at the time and found the old message. :lol:

They also had a boxed Saturn for $25 at the time, apparently.

Well, GW had trouble selling that Kinect for $80, so they dropped it to $50 today. I checked it out and sure enough, it was brand new and sealed, so I picked it up. I already have one for my 360, so maybe we'll see what I can do with it on the PC.

bread's done
Back