Thrift Store Thread 2012

I have a new winner for my best Goodwill find ever. Fairly video-game related, I suppose. Cost me $19.99.

eVhfl.jpg

It's an HD video scaler/processor - basically upscales any video input you can throw at it to 720p or 1080p.
Ebay pricing seems to be at least 20x what I paid for it, so I think I did pretty well :cool:

Today I picked up a Sega Genesis (gen 1) with the Sega Cd attachment (gen 2) and one remote plus cables for 13 bucks. Not sure if the Sega CD works though. The genesis works.

I got Boombots, Harry Potter 1, Ape Escape, and MoH Underground for $1.50 each, $6 total. I also got a sealed Alonzo Mourning dream team figure for $1.50 but I'm probably gonna give it to my friend.

[quote name='TheHelix'] I also got a sealed Alonzo Mourning dream team figure for $1.50 but I'm probably gonna give it to my friend.[/QUOTE]

Haha that sounds awesome, you should post a pic before you give it away :D

[quote name='faa8146']I have a new winner for my best Goodwill find ever. Fairly video-game related, I suppose. Cost me $19.99.

eVhfl.jpg

It's an HD video scaler/processor - basically upscales any video input you can throw at it to 720p or 1080p.
Ebay pricing seems to be at least 20x what I paid for it, so I think I did pretty well :cool:
[/QUOTE]

Nice... I love when clueless thrifts think stuff like this is just a dvd player.
I once found an basically new HD Tivo for either $20 or $25. :cool:

Wow, just found an awesome bundle. Everything in the picture cost me a total of $8.
fYwsx.jpg
Even the lady who got it out of the case for me to look at was surprised when the bag actually contained a DS on top of a bunch of decent games. DS works great, just need to find a charger now.

Notable games:
DS
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Mario Kart
Advance Wars Dual Strike
Super Mario 64 DS
Pokémon Diamond

GBA/GBC
Pokémon Sapphire
Pokémon Gold
Pokémon Silver
LoZ: Oracle of Ages

Also found a wavebird (no receiver) for $4, and 2 n64 controllers with good joysticks for $3 each. This has been an awesome week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to Half Price Books I got Xenosaga Episode 1 (missing manual) for 50 cents, Zaxxon 3D complete for $1, and Mega Man Anniversary Collection for Xbox for $2.

After a full day of yard sales, we stopped at a few thrifts on our way home and I picked up:

Wii Fit Balance Board - $6
Zelda NES, cart only - $3
Uncharted 2, complete - $2
Turok :ps3: - $1
Elder Scrolls Oblivion :ps3: - $1

Well, I found something unique yesterday. I got 5 Gameboy Color Multicarts in their boxes, if anyone wants pictures I'll try to post some. I don't know if they're worth anything, but I'd be interested in trading them, as I'm not even really sure why I bought them.

I got the "Game USA color super race collection" as well as an 82 in 1 and a 64 in one. I haven't tried them out yet.

I picked up 5 CDs also, including "the secret policeman's other ball", which lists for $50 used on Amazon, and George Harrison's "live in Japan", which lists for about $15.

I'm living in Belfast for the summer and I'm having thrift store withdrawals. The charity shops are interesting but almost nothing worth buying.

Found this stuff at a Goodwill.

Snes with all cables and 1 controller with all these games for $50

Donkey Kong Country
Mario Kart
Wolfenstein 3d
NBA Jam
Mortal Kombat

A N64 with all cables, 2 controllers and one Nintendo Memory card. with these games for $20

Jet Force Gemini
Pokemon Snap
Turok
Tetris
Star Wars Shadow of the Empire

Also found a Complete copy of Digimon World 2 for $2.00

It's been pretty dry for me lately but this morning I came up with these at a goodwill

N64 Game Shark $5
Xbox 360 wired official controller $7 (looks new)

I also saw an original PS1 with one controller and no cables for $49.99 :roll:

Stopped by my local SPCA Thrift Store and got some pretty good finds. Got these two items for 50 cents each.

Nintendo 64 - Blast Corps (complete and in great condition)
Beyond Good & Evil (complete)

IMG_20120614_1217251.jpg

[quote name='wheels']It's been pretty dry for me lately but this morning I came up with these at a goodwill

N64 Game Shark $5
Xbox 360 wired official controller $7 (looks new)

I also saw an original PS1 with one controller and no cables for $49.99 :roll:[/QUOTE]

I think my local GWs toss PS1s now cus I rarely see any and they never sold the stacks of them for $8 apiece a couple years ago.

I had a really good pick at a local thrift market.

Atari 1200xl with the atari 410 tape deck, no joysticks but it has the original power brick.

Boxed Odyssey 2 with 22 cartridges (!)

Saitek Eclipse 2 keyboard (works perfect)

All for 35 bucks. I asked the lady at the counter what she wanted for the group and she had to call her husband. I figured at that point he would be looking all of them up online and they would come back with a pretty big number. She stayed on the phone for what seemed like 20 minutes and came back with 35. I was pretty excited with that number! I'll be posting them on ebay/amazon in the coming days, and I would give a CAG a discount if anybody is interested in them.

[quote name='baz8771']I had a really good pick at a local thrift market.

Boxed Odyssey 2 with 22 cartridges (!)
[/QUOTE]
My family still has our Odyssey 2, but the controllers don't work. I'd love to find another, just to mess around with. I never understood why the controllers were fixed to the console. Anyway, cool find. Have fun playing KC Munchkin! Or Pick Axe Pete!

Another sweet haul from Salvation Army:

f2vsm1.jpg

Saturn: Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge, House of the Dead, Guardian Heroes, NiGHTS not-for-resale
:gc: Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles :xbox: Kung Fu Chaos

$3 each. Dem Saturn games! The cases are all cracked on the front though, sigh.

Can't believe how well Guardian Heroes' value has held up in light of the XBLA version.

I found a copy of face raiders kart racing for the 3ds for $2 at goodwill. This was the only game I could find there. Man my goodwill sucks.

Funnily enough, someone mentioned their brother finding a Yu-Gi-Oh duel disk for a dollar and how much of a find that is, I just so happened to find one myself at a local owned thrift store for $4. Unfortunately, that's all I found today :(

Found a copy of SSX Blur and Elebits for $1.29 each at Goodwill today. Probably just going to make use of the Best Buy trade with them and put the credit towards something else though.

I found a Gamecube BBA last week for $2 as well, really good find on that once since my friends and I wanted to do 4 system link Mario Kart Double Dash.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']$3 each. Dem Saturn games! The cases are all cracked on the front though, sigh.[/QUOTE]

Dem long box cases are always cracked doh. It gets so annoying, and it's not like there are any real replacement options for them XD

Kills me when I see a NES controller, 2 SNES controllers, and stacks of cartridges like today but no systems or non sports games to be found anywhere!!!

Went to a Thrift Store on my way home from a job interview. Grabbed these games for $4 total (jewel case only, no box).

:pc: Carmageddon- $2
:pc: Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix- $2

I always wanted to try Soldier of Fortune II (played the first one on Dreamcast) but I never had a chance to. Well until now :D.

In the past 2 weeks I found a sealed US box of 36 Visions booster packs for Magic the Gathering and and opened but full Chinese set. Same goodwill, one week apart. Nothing else fabulous, though.

[quote name='juangrande386']Kills me when I see a NES controller, 2 SNES controllers, and stacks of cartridges like today but no systems or non sports games to be found anywhere!!![/QUOTE]

I hate that too. I always wonder if I was 10 minutes too late.

Not bad today, makes up for the other day.

$24- working fat PS2 with cables, Tengen Gauntlet for NES, Batman for NES, SMB/Duck Hunt for NES, Nintendo rf adapter, those 2 SNES controllers I left on Monday.

Great find on Darkstalkers!

I found a complete copy of Modern Warfare 3 360 at Goodwill today for $7.99. Only problem is that it had a ring scratch around it. Took it to a local game store, had it buffed for 5 bucks. Going to trade it into Best Buy now.

[quote name='TheHelix']Sheesh lots of MW3 being found in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was surprised. The case for it is a bit dirty, but now that the disc is buffed, it looks great.

They also had a copy of Gears of War 3, which was probably donated by the same guy, but they wanted 20 for that for some reason.

[quote name='Gosha']Great find on Darkstalkers!

I found a complete copy of Modern Warfare 3 360 at Goodwill today for $7.99. Only problem is that it had a ring scratch around it. Took it to a local game store, had it buffed for 5 bucks. Going to trade it into Best Buy now.[/QUOTE]

Thank you sir! I went today and found Mario Kart 64 for $1.50 apparently i am finally getting lucky! Nice find on mw3 to btw.

Stopped by a goodwill on the way to work yesterday. Picked up George Carlin's autobiography "Last Words" for 1.99, Season 1 of Strangers With Candy for 1.99, and Transformers:Animated Season 2 for 1.99.

I was going to create a thread on this but it probably only warrants a post here.

There's a chain of thrift stores in Minneapolis called Unique and they used to be awesome for games...$2 for SNES and below, $4 and up for N64 and up. I used to walk out of those stores with arms full of classic carts and only spend like $20. Now some jackass in corporate decided to use eBay or worse pricing for games...goddamn $10 for SMB/Duck Hunt, stuff like that. I mean really, they get the shit for free so why charge so damn much?

The two best finds I've ever gotten there were an original Donkey Kong JR Game&Watch for $2 (still works!) and a MUSE HiVision laserdisc player for $20. I ended up selling the player for like $200-300 (which is a steal compared to what they go for on eBay). I'll still find the random decent deal there but never on games...end of an era.

Also, on another random note a Goodwill near me had 14 mint Criterion Collection DVDs for $2...ended up flipping most of them on Amazon for a pretty penny. I kept the Kurosawas though...always wanted to see Kagemusha.

[quote name='KanYozakura']I was going to create a thread on this but it probably only warrants a post here.

There's a chain of thrift stores in Minneapolis called Unique and they used to be awesome for games...$2 for SNES and below, $4 and up for N64 and up. I used to walk out of those stores with arms full of classic carts and only spend like $20. Now some jackass in corporate decided to use eBay or worse pricing for games...goddamn $10 for SMB/Duck Hunt, stuff like that. I mean really, they get the shit for free so why charge so damn much?

The two best finds I've ever gotten there were an original Donkey Kong JR Game&Watch for $2 (still works!) and a MUSE HiVision laserdisc player for $20. I ended up selling the player for like $200-300 (which is a steal compared to what they go for on eBay). I'll still find the random decent deal there but never on games...end of an era.

Also, on another random note a Goodwill near me had 14 mint Criterion Collection DVDs for $2...ended up flipping most of them on Amazon for a pretty penny. I kept the Kurosawas though...always wanted to see Kagemusha.[/QUOTE]

I have a few of those out here on LI and i rarely see games. Maybe im not looking hard enough.

[quote name='LilPaintballer']I have a few of those out here on LI and i rarely see games. Maybe im not looking hard enough.[/QUOTE]

In the MN stores they're in different spots depending on the format:

CD games are mixed in with the music CDs. Prices aren't too bad...grabbed Dynasty Warriors PS1 for $2. One time there was a black label FFVII for $6 but it had two Disc 2s and no Disc 1. :(

DVD games are mixed in with the DVDs, except for current gen titles which are in the glass cases up front and cost more.

Cart games used to be jumbled together with all of the other crap on the shelves but since they raised the prices they're now hanging in baggies by the game systems in electronics.

Game guides are usually stocked in the Reference section but can occasionally be in with the Crafts&Hobbies section.

Systems and controllers have their own section in electronics. Be sure to check the AC adapters hanging up...one time I found an official Sega CDX AC for $2 (no CDX system unfortunately). If they have the controllers/cables/etc. bundled with the system then it'll run eBay prices but if it's the system only with "AS IS" written on it the price will be rock bottom and you can usually find the cords yourself strewn amongst the other sections.

[quote name='KanYozakura']

There's a chain of thrift stores in Minneapolis called Unique and they used to be awesome for games...end of an era.
[/QUOTE]

This is a really weird coincidence as I had a conversation with a person working at SAVERS and he told me they just bought the whole "Unique" chain. He actually was in MN last week because of something to do with it. I told him I hadn't heard of it, but he said they are in Chicago too.

[quote name='slowdive21']This is a really weird coincidence as I had a conversation with a person working at SAVERS and he told me they just bought the whole "Unique" chain. He actually was in MN last week because of something to do with it. I told him I hadn't heard of it, but he said they are in Chicago too.[/QUOTE]

That would explain the price increases. Savers has been expanding quite rapidly by opening new stores, in spite of the fact that they generally price themselves out of the range of what the typical thrift store shopper is looking to pay, so obviously they're getting money from somewhere, but it sure ain't from the $30 OG X-Boxes and PS1's.

Anyways I had a good day at the Thrifts today between Goodwill and rare good finds at Savers

img2360pn.jpg

Sega Master System Games $2 each

Zillion 2 CIB
Thunder Blade Box but no manual
R-Type CIB
Enduro Racer CIB
After Burner cart only

2 Sega Master System Controllers for $3
Sega Master System RF and AC Adaptors for $2

Now if only I had a Sega Master System console on wich to use these items. Anyone got one they're looking to sell?

Also picked up

Zelda Twilight Princess for Gamecube CIB for $5 (Gonna flip this on Amazon)
Starhawk for PS3 for $15 (Might flip this on Amazon too)

All in all, a good day. I know very little about SMS, is there much of a market for it? I almost never see anything for it at the thrifts or tag sales, so I assume it's relatively rare, which is why I picked it up. I guess I could pick up a console on eBay and maybe have some fun with it, or maybe just sell all this stuff I bought in a lot, I dunno.

[quote name='slowdive21']This is a really weird coincidence as I had a conversation with a person working at SAVERS and he told me they just bought the whole "Unique" chain. He actually was in MN last week because of something to do with it. I told him I hadn't heard of it, but he said they are in Chicago too.[/QUOTE]

Oh god I fucking hope not...Savers is AWFUL. They were OK like 6 years ago but since they started jacking their prices up into the stratosphere I've kept away.

That said, I never expected Unique to last this long...they must have some kind of arrangement with the INS or something.:whistle2:s

Yesterday, I found just the Master Chief Helmet part of the Halo 3 Legendary Edition at Salvation Army. Dude at the counter charged me 99 cents for it--I guess it was there long enough to be half price.

bread's done
Back