Thrift Store Thread 2012

[quote name='PocketIguodala']Hold on to that College Hoops 2K8 until march/april when the tournament is going on, the price usually shoots up to about $50 for a used copy! :D[/QUOTE]

The Pontiac? That was a one-time thing, unless I'm missing something.

[quote name='slowdive21']
I bought a 360 core for 4.99 a couple of days ago. 99% sure it won't work, but I thought I would try it anyway.[/QUOTE]

Update: I tried hooking it up via hdmi and component and I can't get picture or sound. I was able to link a controller and tried the "Y and Right trigger reset" and nothing. The system has a silver sticker that says "Microsoft" sealing the console. I checked and it isn't under warranty anymore according to the website. There are no red rings, only a green light (I assuming for the linked controller in lower left quadrant).

I am going to take it to GS and have them test the system, but I think it is dead. For $5, I guess I can ebay it for parts/as is and make a few bucks.

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']i picked up a sega genesis: Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Complete with case and manual for $5. Is that worth anything? :|[/QUOTE]
Pretty much the $5 you paid for it. Fantastic game, but super common among Genesis owners.

[quote name='Pirate331']Pretty much the $5 you paid for it. Fantastic game, but super common among Genesis owners.[/QUOTE]

aww lol oh well xD Still worth it

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Sonic 2 is pretty much the Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt of the 16 bit era. It was actually a pack-in game with the Genesis at one point.[/QUOTE]

And the first Sonic was a mail-in giveaway too, hence the "Not for Resale" packages. I remember the day mine showed up in the mail. :bouncy:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']No need to defend your purchases. You did a good thing, since many of us would've only bought the games because they're worth something and not really to play.[/QUOTE]

But but but those type of purchases can be converted into games you want to play and won't ever find locally ;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Sonic 2 is pretty much the Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt of the 16 bit era. It was actually a pack-in game with the Genesis at one point.[/QUOTE]

I actually think I have more copies of sonic 2 than mario/duck hunt. They're both like the herpes of the retro game collector. Can't even give 'em away half the time.

[quote name='SnesGuy']I actually think I have more copies of sonic 2 than mario/duck hunt. They're both like the herpes of the retro game collector. Can't even give 'em away half the time.[/QUOTE]

I once found 3 copies of Sonic 2 in a flea market trash can lol

Found these today
Wheel of Fortune $1
GBA SP with Super Mario in it $8

I don't know if the gba works yet, it has no power and came with no charger.

bf923c70.jpg

I really hate how YMMV the thrifts around here are. I saw a stack of PS1 titles at a further off SA store yesterday and I got excited, until I saw the price tags($3.99 EACH:bomb:).

Only one I likely would've picked up was Nuclear Strike, but they also had Jet Moto, Twisted Metal III, 007: The World Is Not Enough and a handful of other ones I can't be bothered to remember.

This is the same store that I believe had the Resident Evil games in the case for $2.99 each about 3-6 months ago. Oh well. At least I'm saving money.

[quote name='wheels']Found these today
Wheel of Fortune $1
GBA SP with Super Mario in it $8

I don't know if the gba works yet, it has no power and came with no charger.

bf923c70.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Even if it doesn't hold a charge, (depending on the model) you can take the screen out and put it in a Gameboy Color for a front lit GBC :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yeEhkjluGY

I've been trying to get around to doing this DIY myself, but I don't want to crack open my perfectly good, working SP :(

Nice, I hadn't seen that mod, the screen on this sp is in perfect condition. I ended up buying a power supply from eBay, just waiting on it to get here.

Well, I went out at lunch and found a few interesting things. A sealed GBC Tony Hawk Proskater and a sealed Domino Rally "Up, Up, and Away!" set.

Any idea what the Domino Rally set is worth? I can't find any listings for this set anywhere.

[quote name='yourlefthand']Well, I went out at lunch and found a few interesting things. A sealed GBC Tony Hawk Proskater and a sealed Domino Rally "Up, Up, and Away!" set.

Any idea what the Domino Rally set is worth? I can't find any listings for this set anywhere.[/QUOTE]

They aren't worth anything unfortunately

Yeah, they actually still make Domino Rally, so I don't think they bring in very much. I'd love to grab a couple of sets for my kid, though, and I would probably make an offer if I didn't have to worry about groceries and medical bills.

Came home from work yesterday and my oldest has to show me what he got at one of the local charity thrift stores. walks out with this MASSIVE thing on his arm, tells me its a Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Disk. Wife paid $1.75 for it! I knew that these things had some worth thanks to a comment on the yard sale forum. Looked it up on eBay, they're selling for between $40-$75 used! Thing does have the glove (which apparently affects the value), tried to convince him to sell it on eBay but he's having too much fun with it.

I told him to keep the thing together and take care of it so we can sell it when he gets sick of playing with it. Not a bad find, seems like this thrift doesn't "eBay" price their items so I may have to check them out regularly!

[quote name='Javansdaddy']Came home from work yesterday and my oldest has to show me what he got at one of the local charity thrift stores. walks out with this MASSIVE thing on his arm, tells me its a Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Disk. Wife paid $1.75 for it! I knew that these things had some worth thanks to a comment on the yard sale forum. Looked it up on eBay, they're selling for between $40-$75 used! Thing does have the glove (which apparently affects the value), tried to convince him to sell it on eBay but he's having too much fun with it.

I told him to keep the thing together and take care of it so we can sell it when he gets sick of playing with it. Not a bad find, seems like this thrift doesn't "eBay" price their items so I may have to check them out regularly![/QUOTE]

Oh wow! That Duel Disk is actually worth money? Good news for me. Haha.

[quote name='Olengie']Oh wow! That Duel Disk is actually worth money? Good news for me. Haha.[/QUOTE]

Yep, even the ones with a little wear & tear are selling for at least $25 or so. Shocked me at how much they go for...

I remember I got that thing for my brother at a garage sale. Paid about a dollar.
Tell me about it. Wonder who would actually use other than little kids/pre-teens...

PS2 slim with cables, very nice condition- $20

Saw a stack of SNES games at the first GW- $4 sports and $8 stickers on Starfox, Mortal Kombat, a few other okay-good games. If its not sports or racing I have a feeling that the manager has told them to slap $8 stickers on it. Serious BS! I was checking out and said "dont mind paying $20 for a working slim PS2 but daymn $8 for some old games, seriously?" She said "yeah weve heard that from a few other people too, sorry". Other GWs had $3-$4 sports games, a filthy system only Dreamcast for $20, and Starfox 64 3D for $15. The price for SF643D was surprising since this was the GW I have gotten quite a few $5 and $10 DS and 3DS games.

[quote name='juangrande386']PS2 slim with cables, very nice condition- $20

Saw a stack of SNES games at the first GW- $4 sports and $8 stickers on Starfox, Mortal Kombat, a few other okay-good games. If its not sports or racing I have a feeling that the manager has told them to slap $8 stickers on it. Serious BS! I was checking out and said "dont mind paying $20 for a working slim PS2 but daymn $8 for some old games, seriously?" She said "yeah weve heard that from a few other people too, sorry". Other GWs had $3-$4 sports games, a filthy system only Dreamcast for $20, and Starfox 64 3D for $15. The price for SF643D was surprising since this was the GW I have gotten quite a few $5 and $10 DS and 3DS games.[/QUOTE]

wish I could even see any SNES or NES or N64 game at my local thrift stores all they have are PS2/Xbox games and sometimes PS1 titles mostly sports

I went to an SPCA rummage store and saw Final Fantasy VII mixed with the CDs and when I looked further I saw other gems. Snagged all these for only $15.

Picture012.jpg

[quote name='Olengie']I remember I got that thing for my brother at a garage sale. Paid about a dollar.
Tell me about it. Wonder who would actually use other than little kids/pre-teens...[/QUOTE]

Lol, I wanted it so much when I was a kid (but im too cheap!) retailed for about 80-90 they had one at a card store I used to frequent and play tournaments at. Although I did build a copy of the suitcase that Kaiba had and carried my deck around in it. Was king of the nerds.

Think I missed an N64 lot. Went in and three N64 games were left, all sports. I grabbed the first Tony Hawk for $.99 but considering they were not all together and someone had clearly been looking at them, guessing someone grabbed the good ones. Oh well.

Got a Sega Genesis 16 Bit with one wire and three controllers (Games: Strider, Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition, Castle of Illusions, Taz-Mania, Sonic the Hedgehog, NBA Jam, Toy Story) for 6.57

Now let me tell you a story. It was originally 40 but the store was having a 50% storewide sale. So it was $20. I was talking to the clerk, who happened to the same church as me and we got friendly with each other. I told her it was missing all the wires cept the AV one. I was going to return it but she asked me if I still wanted it; she was going to throw it out. She brought out the manager to give me a discount and originally I was going to get 5 back but he gave me 16 dollars back. Funny to me because the clerk said it was all because I was part of the church and that I was a Mentor there. :]

Also picked up Legend of the Dragoon (missing Disk 1) and a HG Buster Gundam for $3. :)

I also found two sealed Mortal Kombat Sega CDs for $3 a piece (bit of wear and tear on bit of the packaging.) And honest question. Should I get it?

[quote name='Olengie']Got a Sega Genesis 16 Bit with one wire and three controllers (Games: Strider, Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition, Castle of Illusions, Taz-Mania, Sonic the Hedgehog, NBA Jam, Toy Story) for 6.57

Now let me tell you a story. It was originally 40 but the store was having a 50% storewide sale. So it was $20. I was talking to the clerk, who happened to the same church as me and we got friendly with each other. I told her it was missing all the wires cept the AV one. I was going to return it but she asked me if I still wanted it; she was going to throw it out. She brought out the manager to give me a discount and originally I was going to get 5 back but he gave me 16 dollars back. Funny to me because the clerk said it was all because I was part of the church and that I was a Mentor there. :]

Also picked up Legend of the Dragoon (missing Disk 1) and a HG Buster Gundam for $3. :)

I also found two sealed Mortal Kombat Sega CDs for $3 a piece (bit of wear and tear on bit of the packaging.) And honest question. Should I get it?[/QUOTE]

Nice find. As far as Genesis games go those are pretty good ones.

To answer your last question...um, yes. http://item.ebay.com/271011051451

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Nice find. As far as Genesis games go those are pretty good ones.

To answer your last question...um, yes. http://item.ebay.com/271011051451[/QUOTE]

Lol. I figured as much. The store is going to have a 75% off sale on Saturday, so I'll come back. Let's just say, I put them somewhere...

Found these gems on my latest trip. Should have been $3.99 but the manager said I was "breaking up a lot" they had so everything cost me $16. Still gladly paid. The rest of the games were sports games.

Virtua Fighter 2, House of the Dead, and X-Men: Children of the Atom complete. Most likely sell these sometime.

Happened to be in another part of town fishing and when heading back home saw a Goodwill so stopped by and lo and behold they actually had some pre-PS2/Xbox games. Got Predator 2 and The Terminator for the Sega Genesis for $5 total. They had a few more but only sports games. Might have to check that one out more often

After a killer day of yard saling, we decided to hit the few local thrifts on the way home. Goodwill was more or less a bust, but the newer store that we go to all the time had a few games systems (Fat PS2 for 35, OG Xbox for 50, two N64s for $25/ea and a gamecube with cables for $25), all slightly overpriced.

Something about the Gamecube caught my eye, however, so I asked to see it. Upon closer inspection, it had a GBA player attached to it with a cartridge in it: Yoshi's Island. Nice bonus that makes $25 more reasonable, but that's not what caught my eye.

Sticking out of the back of it was a peculiar cable with connectors that were Red Green Blue Red and White. Yep, an official Gamecube component cable. I decided to look it up on eBay just to see if the value held, as the Wii basically makes it a pointless trinket, and was pleasantly surpised:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120960473008#ht_500wt_1413

So, without hesitation, I bought yet another Gamecube to add to the pile. I think I'm up to five now...

[quote name='sp00ge']After a killer day of yard saling, we decided to hit the few local thrifts on the way home. Goodwill was more or less a bust, but the newer store that we go to all the time had a few games systems (Fat PS2 for 35, OG Xbox for 50, two N64s for $25/ea and a gamecube with cables for $25), all slightly overpriced.

Something about the Gamecube caught my eye, however, so I asked to see it. Upon closer inspection, it had a GBA player attached to it with a cartridge in it: Yoshi's Island. Nice bonus that makes $25 more reasonable, but that's not what caught my eye.

Sticking out of the back of it was a peculiar cable with connectors that were Red Green Blue Red and White. Yep, an official Gamecube component cable. I decided to look it up on eBay just to see if the value held, as the Wii basically makes it a pointless trinket, and was pleasantly surpised:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120960473008#ht_500wt_1413

So, without hesitation, I bought yet another Gamecube to add to the pile. I think I'm up to five now...[/QUOTE]

I wanted a pair of those so bad when it came out, but they were only available through Nintendo and seeing as I was a minor when it came out, I never had a credit card to order one. Great Find.

After a long thrift store dry spell, and generally just not stopping into the local ones as much as I used to, I finally had a pleasant surprise today:
7719755578_80636c10f8.jpg

First time I've ever found a sealed NES game in the wild, I believe. For $5, I couldn't pass it up. Looking on Amazon, it seems that there are only two listings for new copies, and I am not seeing any on the 'Bay as of now, so I think this is one to hang onto for awhile. It is in really nice condition, complete with the retail hang tag still intact. :)

I had a disappointing time at one of the Savers on the island. I'm sure the other around here probably had the same response. First thing I noticed that that they had these 2 cool wireless Dream Gear PS2 controllers that has liquid where the rumble motors would be. For $5 each, I was ready to get one, but then I noticed that neither had the wireless receiver. A second later, I notice they bundled the recievers together for both controllers for $10. Right.... After that, I started looking through the games and instantly saw a Harvest Moon for the DS. Grabbed it right up, looked inside to see make sure the card was still in there... and of course it wasn't. Very disappointing day when it came to gaming.

[quote name='Chronis']I had a disappointing time at one of the Savers on the island. I'm sure the other around here probably had the same response. First thing I noticed that that they had these 2 cool wireless Dream Gear PS2 controllers that has liquid where the rumble motors would be. For $5 each, I was ready to get one, but then I noticed that neither had the wireless receiver. A second later, I notice they bundled the recievers together for both controllers for $10. Right.... After that, I started looking through the games and instantly saw a Harvest Moon for the DS. Grabbed it right up, looked inside to see make sure the card was still in there... and of course it wasn't. Very disappointing day when it came to gaming.[/QUOTE]

Haha yeah saw that harvest moon days ago, also saw a gc harvest moon, but was missing the memory card saw left it behind.

Did find a 2 dreamcast controllers for 1.99 each, one with a vmu inside. Also found metroid for the nes for 1.99 there, although i think i missed a nice nes lot, since they had 2 controllers, a zapper and a few nes games there a few days back. Last thing I found at this Savers was Super Mario Strikers for 2.99 in really good shape.

Stopped by Goodwill today and found nothing but a few books and a tickle me elmo for my daughter.

As I'm going to check out, I notice the woman in front of me has a bundle of N64 games that are rubber banded together. Saw No Mercy in the bundle. Dammit!

[quote name='AllFrankedUp']Stopped by Goodwill today and found nothing but a few books and a tickle me elmo for my daughter.

As I'm going to check out, I notice the woman in front of me has a bundle of N64 games that are rubber banded together. Saw No Mercy in the bundle. Dammit![/QUOTE]
I do this to this one guy who resells all the time and he puts his hands 2 inches from my games and asks me "Are YOU SURRREEEEEEE you are going to purchase these, kids, because I have the money to pay for those games right here." And I'm like "LOL I'm 14 not 5, and who's the being the child with their money here?

[quote name='Olengie']"Nah. I'm just keeping them in the cart so you don't get your hands on it." xD[/QUOTE]

I'd say, "You know what, what am I thinking? You can have them."

"Really?"

"No. fuck off."

[quote name='sgaldis']After a long thrift store dry spell, and generally just not stopping into the local ones as much as I used to, I finally had a pleasant surprise today:
7719755578_80636c10f8.jpg

First time I've ever found a sealed NES game in the wild, I believe. For $5, I couldn't pass it up. Looking on Amazon, it seems that there are only two listings for new copies, and I am not seeing any on the 'Bay as of now, so I think this is one to hang onto for awhile. It is in really nice condition, complete with the retail hang tag still intact. :)[/QUOTE]

Ack, I'm not sure where this whole "the 'Bay" thing started, but it makes my eyes bleed, isn't it just faster to type ebay? Anyways, as far as sealed games go, that one isn't terribly valuable, maybe $25 at most, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it for less than that.

CIMG1933.jpg

So went to one of my local Savers again, and found a bag of gameboy and ds games for 9.99. Originally all I could see was the 2 advance
games(Hamtaro and F-14 Tomcat) and Super Mario 64 ds in one of those
ds cases. I thought I saw both cases having 2 games each, so I figured
6 games for 10 bucks, not to bad, especially with Super Mario 64 included.
Buy the stuff, open the cases, and find 5 games in the cases instead of 4.
If the picture doesn't show the titles clearly enough, the games are as follows:

Hamtaro: Ham Ham Heartbreak GBA
F-14 Tomcat GBA
Super Mario 64 DS
Shrek Superslam DS
Cooking Mama 2 DS
Wario Ware Touched DS
Metroid Prime Hunters DS

Interested in playing Metroid since I never played this version, other than
that most will go to my daughter. If she doesnt want them, looks like i can sell a good portion of these games for 10 bucks a pop(except for shrek and f-14), so should make my money back easily

bread's done
Back