Thrift Store Thread 2012

[quote name='spmahn']You don't happen to live near Danbury, CT do you? There's a Savers out there that just opened yesterday, but it's a bit of a haul for me to get out there from Waterbury, and there's only a couple of Goodwills out that way where I never find anything, so I usually don't make the trip.[/QUOTE]

yes this was the Danbury CT one that just opened. I went again on Saturday and the game section was really cleaned out.

First off, nice haul white3er, that beats probably my lifetime of thrift shopping finds in a single trip!

Anyways, I checked out a few GW that are outside my normal rotation, and I actually found a few decent titles, much better selection than the GW's closer to my house:

:xbox: Star Wars Battlefront II, complete, good condition, $4
:xbox: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, complete, good condition, $4
:pc: Lost: Via Domus, $2.50

I've heard the Lost game isn't all that great, but my wife and I just finished watching the whole series recently on Netflix, so for the $2.50 it will be fun enough for us.

Also I did see a good stash of nice looking DS games (Phantom Hourglass, Prof. Layton, Nintendogs, etc.), but unfortunately someone stole all the carts inside, leaving the mint cases and manuals behind. Oh, the depravity of humanity...

Also I saw :ps2: The Warriors for $4, but the copy was a little beat up, though definitely better than the sea of sports titles.

[quote name='Olengie']Maybe you can go and ask them if you can have the cases? :lol:[/QUOTE]
I thought about it, but the combined suspicions and bewilderment from the unknowing clerks, should I try to bring all these empty cases up to the counter, wouldn't be worth it. More than likely they would just ring them up full price anyways, even if I pointed it out.

Decent PS1 score today.

Gran Turismo 2 50 cents
Alien Trilogy $2.50
G-Police $2.50
Simpsons Complete Season 1 $3

All complete :D

was in another part of town and stopped at a Salvation Army where they were doing a one day 75% off everything sale and got a Sega Genesis (model 2) with 2 controllers and av/power cables for $8.75 from the original price of $35 (who in their right mind would have paid $35 for it?)

7th Saga for SNES- $3, the whole label is on it but it looks like it got air underneath so its bubbly. Might have to lay something flat and heavy (but not too heavy) on it. Weird it was the only game, maybe I just missed some others.

And the potentially best find of the year- Boxed 11 inch Jill Valentine RE3 Figure. Got it for $4, one sold for $220 on Ebay and one sold for $100. Idiots wrapped tape around it.....must peel sloooooowly

[quote name='juangrande386']And the potentially best find of the year- Boxed 11 inch Jill Valentine RE3 Figure. Got it for $4, one sold for $220 on Ebay and one sold for $100. Idiots wrapped tape around it.....must peel sloooooowly[/QUOTE]

You have a hair dryer or a heat gun?
That's your best bet.

[quote name='mguiddy']You have a hair dryer or a heat gun?
That's your best bet.[/QUOTE]

I got it off with not too much damage....except for where it pulled up what I assumed was the little strip of seal tape on the top. So its possibly never opened but I wouldnt be able to sell it as new because the strip of tape is hanging now. Still looks same condition as the 2 on Ebay.....I kinda wanna keep it :lol:

And my local GW does it again.. and I wasn't even planning on stopping today. I had to run some orders to the Post Office and decided to stop on my way back, and I am glad I did. And I may have made yet another new enemy too, because I beat the guy to the electronics aisle, where I found a garment bag price $10, and in it was:

• A SNES console (yellow, dirty) with cables
  • Izzy's Quest
  • NHLPA 93
  • Super Scope 6 cart
  • Michael Andretti somethingorother
  • Ms Pacman
  • Frogger
  • Kirby's Avalanche
  • 2 copies of Super Mario World
  • LOTZ: LTTP
  • Super Mario All-Stars
  • Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World

The other guy saw what I grabbed and just stared, with this really shitty look on his face. Oh well...

I also picked up a Dilbert plush for .50.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish the GW stores around here carried anything worth a damn. All the electronics they have are old TV sets and other busted old junk.

[quote name='sp00ge']And my local GW does it again.. and I wasn't even planning on stopping today. I had to run some orders to the Post Office and decided to stop on my way back, and I am glad I did. And I may have made yet another new enemy too, because I beat the guy to the electronics aisle, where I found a garment bag price $10, and in it was:

• A SNES console (yellow, dirty) with cables
  • Izzy's Quest
  • NHLPA 93
  • Super Scope 6 cart
  • Michael Andretti somethingorother
  • Ms Pacman
  • Frogger
  • Kirby's Avalanche
  • 2 copies of Super Mario World
  • LOTZ: LTTP
  • Super Mario All-Stars
  • Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World

The other guy saw what I grabbed and just stared, with this really shitty look on his face. Oh well...

I also picked up a Dilbert plush for .50.[/QUOTE]
You and your thrifts...
One of these day's I'm gonna make a trip over there. :lol:

A thrift I went to today had an SNES and a bunch of games, however the SNES itself was $9.99 (with cables) and the games were either $1.99 or $4.99 (I think they did any Nintendo published one for $4.99 for some reason).

[quote name='mguiddy']You and your thrifts...
One of these day's I'm gonna make a trip over there. :lol:

A thrift I went to today had an SNES and a bunch of games, however the SNES itself was $9.99 (with cables) and the games were either $1.99 or $4.99 (I think they did any Nintendo published one for $4.99 for some reason).[/QUOTE]

You stay the HELL away from my store! It's my store! :applause:

[quote name='mguiddy']A thrift I went to today had an SNES and a bunch of games, however the SNES itself was $9.99 (with cables) and the games were either $1.99 or $4.99 (I think they did any Nintendo published one for $4.99 for some reason).[/QUOTE]

And?? Still easily flippable @ those prices.

[quote name='juangrande386']And?? Still easily flippable @ those prices.[/QUOTE]
And??
It's a comparison.
sp00ge's goodwill had a bag full of SNES games and an SNES for $10.
Mine had a comparable number of games and an SNES for what would've been $60 or so.

Got all these games for $40
Kirby airride complete
Pokemon xd gale of darkness complete
Pokemon colosseum missing manual
Luigis mansion complete
Super Mario sunshine complete
Mario party 7 complete
Mario kart double dash complete
Super smash bros melee missing manual
Mario party 5 complete
Zelda windwalker complete

All games are mint condition

[quote name='mguiddy']And??
It's a comparison.
sp00ge's goodwill had a bag full of SNES games and an SNES for $10.
Mine had a comparable number of games and an SNES for what would've been $60 or so.[/QUOTE]

Too be fair, the SNES sound like somebody dumped gravel into it; lots of rattling going on in there. It powers on, but I haven't bothered hooking it up to the TV to test it yet.

For $3 each, I picked up:

Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Zelda Wind Waker

All of them are complete and in great shape; I love when the plastic on game cases aren't indented, torn, or scratched to hell.

[quote name='ZeroFlame15']Went to my local goodwill for the first time due to looking at this thread to find that they dont have any video games there.[/QUOTE]
As with all thrift stores, it is hit or miss. At my goodwill, there will be nothing for a month, then all of a sudden 50+ games (all of which overpriced junk, but it is something)

[quote name='ZeroFlame15']Went to my local goodwill for the first time due to looking at this thread to find that they dont have any video games there.[/QUOTE]

You just need to check once in a while. You can't expect find the motherload by checking once. Haha. You might find a game or two next time. Maybe moar. It's just persistence that matters.

Most Goodwills and Thrifts aren't usually like the ones the others attend to. Reasonable pricing and all.

[quote name='sp00ge']Too be fair, the SNES sound like somebody dumped gravel into it; lots of rattling going on in there. It powers on, but I haven't bothered hooking it up to the TV to test it yet.[/QUOTE]
Part of me would want to open it to clean it out, but I swear I remember seeing pictures of someone opening an old game console to clean out rattling noises and finding a ton of bug carapaces inside.

[quote name='mguiddy']Part of me would want to open it to clean it out, but I swear I remember seeing pictures of someone opening an old game console to clean out rattling noises and finding a ton of bug carapaces inside.[/QUOTE]

I'll pop it open once (if) I find my screwdriver bit. With my luck, it will be loaded with dead roaches or something.

I got an Atari Jaguar at a yard sale once that was 100% submerged in water in a rubbermaid container. I just opened it up and cleaned it and let it dry out and it was full of dead roaches *barf*

You fool!
That's the only way to contain the Jaguar beast!
By removing it from the purifying water and cleaning out the guardian roaches, you've doomed us all!

[quote name='crows in black']I got an Atari Jaguar at a yard sale once that was 100% submerged in water in a rubbermaid container. I just opened it up and cleaned it and let it dry out and it was full of dead roaches *barf*[/QUOTE]

I bet you sold it for $300 then, right? All you had to do was bundle in a rolex?

During the best buy 100% trade in ive been hitting the pawn shops in Memphis. Specially the Ez pawn shops. All games are $10 and 15$
From there I have picked up
1. Mario 3d land $8
2. Uncharted vita $10
3. Mw3 for ps3 and Xbox $15
4. Star wars kinect $10
5. Arkham city 5$
6. Mortal kombat 9 $2 new with code
I have picked up many more. Sometimes they don't even know what thy are selling.

[quote name='yourlefthand']I bet you sold it for $300 then, right? All you had to do was bundle in a rolex?[/QUOTE]

hahaha! :applause: 'm sure this is referring the the yard sale thread.

[quote name='drakma676']During the best buy 100% trade in ive been hitting the pawn shops in Memphis. Specially the Ez pawn shops. All games are $10 and 15$
From there I have picked up
1. Mario 3d land $8
2. Uncharted vita $10
3. Mw3 for ps3 and Xbox $15
4. Star wars kinect $10
5. Arkham city 5$
6. Mortal kombat 9 $2 new with code
I have picked up many more. Sometimes they don't even know what thy are selling.[/QUOTE]
I wish I had pawn shops like that around here.:whistle2:#

Several days ago, I went to a thrift store in College Park (I think it's the ONLY thrift store in CP), and they sell video games (mostly just consoles - PS2s, Xboxes, GameCubes, Dreamcasts, plus controllers for N64, Genesis, Dreamcast, PS2, and Xbox). I managed to snag a working Game Boy Pocket for $7 (and it even had the battery cover)! Granted, the directional pad is shifting around in its socket, but hey, it still works!

I got these for $2 each at Goodwill. Their prices have been so random lately, so I was happy to see these at a decent price.

img1942h.jpg

Hit Savers this morning and found a copy of the Neverhood for PC. 1.99. I was happy with that, game has some value, easy flip. I only know that because I passed on a big box version for 1.00 earlier this year and later looked it up...

I found a Brand New sealed Players Choice Super Mario Sunshine. - 3.99

Hmm i already have black label sunshine, dont know if should wait before i put it up for sale...

Generation 1 headmasters Snap dragon- 1.29

[quote name='Bing147']Hit Savers this morning and found a copy of the Neverhood for PC. 1.99. I was happy with that, game has some value, easy flip. I only know that because I passed on a big box version for 1.00 earlier this year and later looked it up...[/QUOTE]

Every copy of that I have ever had has sold for $35 or more within days of listing - and those were all disc only. I'd love to find a complete in box version of the game.

I always pass on pc but just happened to know this one. This is disc and manual only,
aw the cib one earlier this year and passed not knowing what it was.

[quote name='slowdive21']I really need a lesson in PC games. They were all worthless for 10 years, now all of a sudden there are good ones.[/QUOTE]
Me too. Although I likely wouldn't buy PC games even if I saw rarer ones, since I don't do eBay at all and that seems to be where you have to sell them.:whistle2:#

I remember when Wing Commander Kilrathi Saga used to go for $200+ even if it was discs only due to its rarity. Now I would be lucky to get $40-80 for a complete copy on eBay going by the completed listings of ones that have sold lately.

[quote name='Demolition Man']I remember when Wing Commander Kilrathi Saga used to go for $200+ even if it was discs only due to its rarity. Now I would be lucky to get $40-80 for a complete copy on eBay going by the completed listings of ones that have sold lately.[/QUOTE]

I sold a copy disks in the case for $70 last year. The price was going down at that point - it looks like it's going up a little now.

[quote name='slowdive21']I really need a lesson in PC games. They were all worthless for 10 years, now all of a sudden there are good ones.[/QUOTE]

PC games are back in vogue right now. Plus a lot of the kids who grew up with CD-Rom PC games are now old enough to be nostalgic for those titles. There is a TON of valuable PC stuff out there and pretty much everyone thinks it is worthless. It is well worth the time to research the platform.

Went to Goodwill after work since its right down the road, tons of people in there! Not a whole lot there, looked like they cleaned the shelves.

I picked up GTA San Andreas PS2 Black Label and Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic Xbox- $3 apiece

First original Xbox game I can remember buying in maybe a couple years.

bread's done
Back