Thrift Store Thread 2012

Nice find on Tomba 2; it's an awesome feeling when you find an expensive one like that. My Goodwill has been pretty meh; I picked up Quake, Turok, and Vigilante 8: Second Offense for $3/each today.

After having a disappointing start to my Goodwill tour last weekend (one GW I spotted a guy carrying a mint copy of Ticket to Ride board game for only 2 bucks, been looking for good euro games for ages now), my last GW stop had a great find for only $5, which is a sealed copy of FFV Advance (even had the Sears price tag still on it).

Ended my day on a high note for sure.

8179488893_32e10c85df.jpg

This thread has been pretty dead lately, more so than usual. I personally haven't found anything decent at any thrifts in a few months. In fact, I've pretty much abandoned Goodwill altogether, between my disdain for their high prices, the fact that their stores look more like a landfill than a retail store, and my not having found anything worth buying there in months, it just isn't worth my time to go anymore.

I did however have one unlikely find at Savers today hidden amongst some PS2 and Sega Genesis sports titles:

img2495y.jpg

Paid 4 bucks for it. The game is crap, but it's a semi-rarity, especially in complete condition. Not sure if I'm going to add this to my NES collection, or flip it, should be able to flip it on eBay for $35 or so. Decisions decisions.....

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ZombieToast']I don't see what's so unlucky about that. It's certainly not the best game out there, but it's still kinda neat to have.[/QUOTE]

UnLIKEly as in, it's unlikely to find something this good hidden behind copies of NBA Jam and Madden NFL 95.

[quote name='ZombieToast']I don't see what's so unlucky about that. It's certainly not the best game out there, but it's still kinda neat to have.[/QUOTE]
It was unlucky because his version had Jar Jar Binks in it.

Had a REALLY good day today.

At my favorite Pawn Shop.

Gamecube w/ Game Boy Player (no disc), two Wavebirds (both with receivers), GBA link cable, all cords, and the microphone, in the original box (Mario Party 7 version, though no game): 16.99

At Savers:

Zelda Four Swords (in original cardboard box w/ GBA link cable): 9.99
Zelda Twilight Princess (no manual) GC: 2.99
Star Fox Adventures: 1.99
Mario Sunshine: 2.99
Luigi's Mansion: 2.99

At a Goodwill:

Donkey Kong 64: 2.99

At another good pawn shop:

Star Wars Battlefront 2 (Xbox): 2.99

At a pawn shop I had never been to before:

Mario Superstar Baseball (GC): .40
Splinter Cell (GC): .40

Yes, those were under a dollar for both!

[quote name='spmahn']UnLIKEly as in, it's unlikely to find something this good hidden behind copies of NBA Jam and Madden NFL 95.[/QUOTE]
Ha ha, I don't know if I misread that or if you ninja edited it, but thanks for clarifying.

Went to a goodwill i usually don't go to today, and picked these up for $4 each:

Mario Kart Double Dash (Gamecube)
Mario Party 5 (Gamecube)
Gauntlet Dark Legacy - no manual (Gamecube)
Final Fantasy XII - greatest hits, no manual (PS2)
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII - no manual (PS2)

Not a bad day today. I found a CIB super gameboy for $8, nhl 93 snes CIB $1, wrestlemania arcade game snes CIB $1, super beach vollyball snes CIB $1, super r type $5, and a red ps3 controller for $20.

CIMG0612.jpg

Went to Salvation Army today and they had a 50% off storewide sale. Found myself a sealed version of Othello, Rave Master v. 1. Got Angels and Demons cause I was giving my copy to my cousin. Though The Matrix and Philosophy would be an interesting read.

Saw they had an Xbox priced at $50. D:

[quote name='Olengie']
Though The Matrix and Philosophy would be an interesting read.
[/QUOTE]

If it's from the same series as the "Zelda and Philosophy" book, it's probably way more boring than it would seem. I tried to read the Zelda book but it was overly academic and it seemed like the authors were really stretching to hit their points. I think I stopped reading after the third chapter.

[quote name='Doomstink']If it's from the same series as the "Zelda and Philosophy" book, it's probably way more boring than it would seem. I tried to read the Zelda book but it was overly academic and it seemed like the authors were really stretching to hit their points. I think I stopped reading after the third chapter.[/QUOTE]

Zelda and Philosophy? :lol: I don't think that would really make sense. The Matrix and Philosophy has it right and what not, talking about the Oracle, etc. I wonder if the Batman and Philosophy would be a good read.

Picked up Halo 4 at the Goodwill I work at today for $29.99. Only thing wrong with it is one of the clasps that holds the 2nd disc flap is broken big deal. Pretty happy about it, my co-workers all wanted it but since I got off first I was the one who bought it.

Nothing great this weekend, though I did pick up the following:

PSone: Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (GH version), $1.50

:wii: New Carnival Games, $2.50

I'm going to trade in the crappy carnival games for $8 BBY credit. After replaying Crash since my original run over 10 years ago, I forgot how fun they can be, so it was a good enough trip by itself.

Picked up a brand new copy of Kinect Rush for $1. It was a Target salvage, not priced and placed with the DVDs which are normally $1, so that's what I was charged.

I started to look at games at pawn shops in my town ( I had never even shopped at one until last week, here is what I found so far....

Black Long Box PS1 Doom $10
Kingdom Hearts 2 PS2 Black lable $10
Modern Warfare 2 Xbox 360 Steelbook $10
Legend Of Zelda Majoras Mask N64 $5 (my best game find)
South Park N64 $5

And my best find of the week
Logitech Harmony 1100 - $44.99

Splinter cell chaos theory steel book w/ both discs (xbox) - $3
Counter-strike (xbox) - $1
Mega man 3 (NES) - $4
Jungle Strike (SNES) - $1
Jungle Book (Game Gear) - SEALED - $4 .. Thought I had a semi-good find, only to go home and find out that they are selling NIB on ebay for like $5

007 Goldeneye guide for N64 - $2

[quote name='Peep']Just grabbed this for $7. It's the rarer soundtrack version. Oh, it's also sealed. Woohoo!!

photo4-e1353367250243.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Wow nice find! One sealed copy recently sold for $50, but I think you can get more than that for it. A used copy sold for $70 just before that, go figure, lol.

[quote name='lude21']Wow nice find! One sealed copy recently sold for $50, but I think you can get more than that for it. A used copy sold for $70 just before that, go figure, lol.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I threw it up on eBay for a ridiculously high amount with offers so hopefully someone bites. The soundtrack one used seems to hover around $70 so I'm not sure what premium a sealed one commands. We'll see.

Dam!! $125.99!! You thief!! Lol j/k hope it sells for ya! I can't talk cuz I recently sold a ps2 codebreaker disc for $130 on ebay, I paid 50 cents for it, lol.

[quote name='lude21']Dam!! $125.99!! You thief!! Lol j/k hope it sells for ya! I can't talk cuz I recently sold a ps2 codebreaker disc for $130 on ebay, I paid 50 cents for it, lol.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it'll sell for that much but we'll see what happens

I checked ebay because they were saying about this game, so i wondered about that dirty harry game I saw awhile back a cib sold for 25 a few weeks ago >.> it was $5..... I knew I should of grabbed it.

Found this without the game...luckily I have the game with just the jewel case. Did I reunite two halves of the long lost whole?

Also picked picked up Crash 2 with the lenticular cover. Does anyone know if that also came with a manual?

[quote name='kermit036']Also picked picked up Crash 2 with the lenticular cover. Does anyone know if that also came with a manual?[/QUOTE]

It did come with a manual

[quote name='lude21']Dam!! $125.99!! You thief!! Lol j/k hope it sells for ya! I can't talk cuz I recently sold a ps2 codebreaker disc for $130 on ebay, I paid 50 cents for it, lol.[/QUOTE]

Are they honestly selling for that much?

I think I have a PS2 Codebreaker disc (or 2) just laying around collecting dust. Made by some company named Pelican something-or-other?

*Yeah, I know I have one in the original case + a lose disc one around

[quote name='Monoxide1986']Are they honestly selling for that much?

I think I have a PS2 Codebreaker disc (or 2) just laying around collecting dust. Made by some company named Pelican something-or-other?

*Yeah, I know I have one in the original case + a lose disc one around[/QUOTE]

ANy of the various code devices are usually great sellers. People like them.

[quote name='Peep']ANy of the various code devices are usually great sellers. People like them.[/QUOTE]

I need to do some digging then... some of those haven't seen the light of day for a while... I think I even have a Dreamcast Gameshark

Haven't been finding much of anything lately. Finally found something today. Picked up Shadow Hearts for the PS2 at Savers for $3.99
Manual and game in really good shape. Love rpgs, so I'm guessing I'll dig this one, although if I don't, seems to have a pretty good resell value online.

[quote name='Monoxide1986']Are they honestly selling for that much?

*Yeah, I know I have one in the original case + a lose disc one around[/QUOTE]

Guess so, although it was ver. 10 , so that's why it sold for a premium. The earlier versions generally sell for less. It was made by Pelican. Dig yours out and let us know what ya find!

[quote name='Peep']ANy of the various code devices are usually great sellers. People like them.[/QUOTE]

They're worth money because they are useful for pirating games and (in some cases) playing imports. Very few people buy them for their intended purposes - except the GB Gamesharks, people buy those for Pokemon.

[quote name='lude21']Guess so, although it was ver. 10 , so that's why it sold for a premium. The earlier versions generally sell for less. It was made by Pelican. Dig yours out and let us know what ya find![/QUOTE]

I found one of my PS2 ones. It's version 7.1. Looks like they go for around $50 on ebay, but none have been sold recently. I'll probably just hang on to it.

Nothing too special this time, but I did get CIB copies of Air Combat, Tekken 3, Tenchu 1, Resident Evil 2, Parappa The Rapper for around 10 bucks.

Just got these at my local GoodWill.

PS2 Slim (No Power Cord, A/V, Controller) $5.99
SkullMonkeys PS1 (Complete) - $5.99
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (Complete) - $5.99

Not sure if the PS2 works, but I just placed an order on a PS2 Slim generic 8.5 V AC adapter from eBay.

imag0662t.jpg

Nice pull but be really careful with that PS2 slim, because of the tendency that they have to scratch discs after sitting around without use for long periods of time. It's due to clearance issues with the ribbon cable for the laser so test it out with a disc your not attached to first.

Cool pull otherwise!

[quote name='postaboy']Just got these at my local GoodWill.

PS2 Slim (No Power Cord, A/V, Controller) $5.99
SkullMonkeys PS1 (Complete) - $5.99
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (Complete) - $5.99

Not sure if the PS2 works, but I just placed an order on a PS2 Slim generic 8.5 V AC adapter from eBay.

imag0662t.jpg
[/QUOTE]

My local thrift store is not good with games (mostly old PS2 and PC games that you can buy at Game Stop) but they usually have great DVD deals. Once bought unopened copies of Wings Seasons 6 and 7 (Spent $6, sold it for $30) and got the first Sherlock Holmes on Blu-ray combo pack (WITH slipcover).

But just a few days ago I bought the following DVDs, all unopened, for $3 each:

Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows
The Vow
Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1 SE
21 Jump Street (Movie)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

Unfortunately, they tend not to check if a set has the right discs or if they have any at all. Once saw a copy of Justice League Unlimited Seasons 1 and 2 with Disc 3 missing and the 80's TMNT Volume 5 with a PC activity disc based on the CG movie in the case.

Couple good GW finds today-

Tomba $2.99 CIB VG (my 1st copy!)
Lime green gba sp $5.99 VG

I have found literally every color gba sp at this GW, including the NES version:)

New to the forums but I've new about this site for a while and I love it! Anyhoo I found a sealed New Super Mario Bros 2 on my Goodwill's Black Friday sale. Paid $20 for it :)

New to the forums but I've new about this site for a while and I love it! Anyhoo I found a sealed New Super Mario Bros 2 on my Goodwill's Black Friday sale. Paid $20 for it :)

[quote name='trollape74']New to the forums but I've new about this site for a while and I love it! Anyhoo I found a sealed New Super Mario Bros 2 on my Goodwill's Black Friday sale. Paid $20 for it :)[/QUOTE]

wow nice dude that's awesome!

From Goodwill i got a Wii with 3 remotes and 6 games for $50... games where The conduit limited edition, Super smash bros. brawl, wii play, guitar hero 5, metallica and world tour. Got it to keep SSBB, Conduit and two remotes. Plan on selling the rest for dirt cheap.

Pawn shop has all 360 games marked at $6 so i nabbed Record of Agarest War

Hmmm nothing since my $4 Pokemon LeafGreen....over a month ago :(. I did sell that 11 inch Vinyl Jill Valentine figure on Ebay for $76! Not bad for paying $4

Grabbed a SEALED Powerslave (PC) interactive 4 level demo today for $1.99.
From what I'm seeing, this thing is really rare. Any help is appreciated :)

Also saw a Doom levels shareware cd by 3D Games in a sleeve. Are these worth getting?

It's been a PS2 week for me, here's what I found

Fat PS2 console only $4.50
Fat PS2 console only $6.99
Slim PS2 with power adapter $4.50
-all 3 systems work

also got Super Mario World 2 for SNES $3
Super Mario World for GBA $3

I found steal on a gun in a local dump of a pawn shop. It is an FN Five Seven pistol. This shop couldn't know what they had. It's pistol usually sells for over $1000 used. Tey had it for $370. I talked them down to $240. VERY happy :)

bread's done
Back