TI 89 Graphing Calculator

Zmonkay

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
Anyone know any deals on these. I'll need one next semester of college, and if anyone knows any good deals on them now, or when they typically DO go on sale, I'd really appreciate it. THANKS

Calculators generally goes on sale when school starts (August and Septmeber). And I think that's when the newer models for calculators come out too.

I ended up getting a used titanium TI-89 for $116 shipped, not too bad. I really needed this calculator for school, dam college dipping in my videogame funds.

From my college experience, I find that graphing calculators are not a must. It's handy to have one, but not a must. Unless you're going into a major with a lot of math, it's not very likely that you'll use your graphing calculator a lot. In fact, I'm an engineering major. I don't even use my TI-83 much aside from simple calculations that I can do with my TI-36 (mainly because my math professors don't allow calculators in tests).

[quote name='Over easy']From my college experience, I find that graphing calculators are not a must. It's handy to have one, but not a must. Unless you're going into a major with a lot of math, it's not very likely that you'll use your graphing calculator a lot. In fact, I'm an engineering major. I don't even use my TI-83 much aside from simple calculations that I can do with my TI-36 (mainly because my math professors don't allow calculators in tests).[/quote]

My professors don't allow them, either. I don't even know the last time I really needed it--and I went through Calculus 1 through 3. The only reason I'd ever upgrade at this point is so that I could make ultra-shitty geek games on it like I used to do with the TI-83.

I have the 89 for quite some time now. I think it spoiled me since it has a lot of built-in functions. I just bought a USB cable for it too and gonna upload some applications and games onto it :)

[quote name='Over easy']From my college experience, I find that graphing calculators are not a must. It's handy to have one, but not a must. Unless you're going into a major with a lot of math, it's not very likely that you'll use your graphing calculator a lot. In fact, I'm an engineering major. I don't even use my TI-83 much aside from simple calculations that I can do with my TI-36 (mainly because my math professors don't allow calculators in tests).[/quote]

Agreed. I'm a math major and I've made it through 3 1/2 years of college with an 86. Sure the 89 will do most of your calc work for you, but none of my teachers have allowed students to use them on tests. The only class that I can think of where a 89 would have been any more useful than my 86 is multivariate calc. Besides multivaraite functions, symbolic differentiation, and symbolic integration, most other functions that you would need are on the 86 (many are even on the 83). Also, any good math suite like maple, which most schools have, can help a lot more with homework than an 89 can.

Strange. I've had an 89 for years now and Ive been through 2 calculus classes, a calc based statistics class, 3 calc based physics classes and 2 combinatorics and graph theory classes and none of my professors cared about it. The thing is worth the difference in cost between older models just for it's ability to solve simple algebraic equations. Such a time saver.

[quote name='Graff^']New one has a USB port, that's all really.[/quote]

It actually has more memory and more applications than the regular TI-89 had (some of which you had to pay for to get). It is faster as processing larger problems as well.

It's basically just a replacement to the aging TI-89. I use it the TI-89 at my work when I need something quick if I'm not in front of Matlab, Mathematica, or something else and I have the TI-89T at home :p

bread's done
Back