Time Hollow -- From Konami. Draw the time holes to solve mysteries... Out NOW!

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/adventure/timehollow/news.html?sid=6194002&mode=previews
General Release Date: August 2008

Time Hollow was released in Japan some time back, and now it looks like Konami is showing off their translated version at e3. Essentially, it's a story-centric adventure game where your character finds a problem, collects information through flashbacks and witnesses about the missing things at the core of the problem, then use the magical "Hollow Pen" to create time portals, find the objects, and place them in the area at the time the problem started, preventing the problem from ever occurring in the first place. You can read more about it at the GameSpot preview above. Sounds like it might be worth a look.

Amazon
GameStop

Last edited by a moderator:
Man. DS beats out even consoles right now. Duke Nukem, GTA, this, Rhythm Heaven, countless RPGs...

I beat I could even bludgeon every console with a DS and not only would it win, but it could still play games afterward.

DS games is cheap to make and easy to sell. Console games is expensive to make and it's hard to sell :) I love my DS over PSP.

[quote name='Masterkyo']DS games is cheap to make and easy to sell. Console games is expensive to make and it's hard to sell :) I love my DS over PSP.[/quote]

Word! Thank god I didn't sell my DS after I've brought the GoW PSP
DS is

[quote name='Masterkyo']DS games is cheap to make and easy to sell. Console games is expensive to make and it's hard to sell :) I love my DS over PSP.[/quote]

Huh? Publishers doesn't need to sell many copies of DS games to be profitable while you just can't do that on consoles. Still is low margin business. If you want to make 500+ million dollar revenue game, DS won't cut it. Is high risk high reward thing. Just look at Majesco. Activision made more money from one week of Guitar Hero 3 sales than Majesco will make this entire year.

It's basically getting 7's across the board. 1up's always good for an 8-sentence review, but
On the other hand, the plot's filled with twists and turns (a few of which are surprisingly unsettling) that keep you tapping through the adventure's most mind-numbing searches for a clue as to what happens next. Discovering the real reason behind Time Hollow's events is still a great "a-ha!" high point, even if the game shuffles you straight to it with no way to a "game over" screen besides digging too many holes.
has got me sold.

Yeah, that seems to be the common impression across the board (Actually, Nintendo Power and 1up). Excellent storyline, limited replayability, and some linear/limited gameplay aspects. Though really, the replay gripe is ridiculous when talking about adventure/mystery games, since an aspect of the genre is that they all technically have a very limited replay value; most people probably wouldn't play an adventure again in the short-term unless they really liked the story/characters or they missed something.

Just picked this one up... so far this game seems really cool. The first several minutes were kinda boring but it has really picked up. It might not be much for gameplay, but so far the weird time stuff that's been happening has got me hooked. (I'm also a sucker for time stuff)

[quote name='pete5883']I'm in, but I'd rather have a Shadow of Destiny sequel. Though I disagree with Strell.[/QUOTE]

Shadow of Destiny was awesome. :D

[quote name='pete5883']On the other hand, the plot's filled with twists and turns (a few of which are surprisingly unsettling) that keep you tapping through the adventure's most mind-numbing searches for a clue as to what happens next. Discovering the real reason behind Time Hollow's events is still a great "a-ha!" high point, even if the game shuffles you straight to it with no way to a "game over" screen besides digging too many holes.[/QUOTE]

This is also what sold me on the game. :D

[quote name='Cao Cao']Though really, the replay gripe is ridiculous when talking about adventure/mystery games, since an aspect of the genre is that they all technically have a very limited replay value; most people probably wouldn't play an adventure again in the short-term unless they really liked the story/characters or they missed something.[/QUOTE]

I think it's ridiculous period, but especially so when applied to this genre.

I honestly want to find all these people who apparently replay the same game over and over and over, because they seem to be hiding. Yeah, I know some people replay X at higher difficulties, or maybe to get an abritrary ending, but seriously - it's almost like rating food based on how long it keeps you satisfied.

At any rate, maybe I'll go track this down. Always up for another adventure game.

I started playing it yesterday, finished about two chapters. I'm really enjoying it, it's like the Phoenix Wright games minus the humor as it seems a bit more serious. So far I haven't run into any puzzles or anything, it's more conversational where you talk to various characters to find clues, or where to go next, as well inspect objects to figure what needs to be changed in the past (to fix the present). Standard adventure game stuff, really. So the gameplay isn't necessarily deep, but the story is. I catch myself wanting to see what is going to happen next and how certain characters are going to develop or change.

Yeah, super linear, no replayability, this is an adventure game alright. But to put it simply: I haven't enjoyed a DS game this much since Hotel Dusk.

Well I finished it. Hell of a short game, I think it took me about 5 hours? And that's taking my sweet time tapping everything and reading all the conversations.

Definitely worth playing through, but I have to say near the end it gets ridiculously repetitive in that you go back and forth between two locations a couple times to change something. And also, I don't think this is a spoiler but just in case
you get really tired of seeing the same "flashbacks" as you change the past, then to have it changed back again, then you change it to only have it changed again.
But the story propels the game, I wanted to keep playing even if I was sick of seeing the same stuff to see how things conclude.

If you like adventure games, and you're content on paying full price for a game you can finish in one or two sittings... then pick that shit up!

Yesterday I was trying to remember the name of this game, since I wanted to pick it up with GS's coupon deals. Then I found this thread. :)

Good to hear that people are enjoying the game. I just got Jake Hunter and playing through it now. I'm still having mixed reaction about it. I'm looking forward to picking this up when I finally find it used in the coming week.

I finished the game already... it was short... but I really really enjoyed it. Definitely a unique experience... that's for sure. I'd say definitely get this one if you like adventure games.

This is more like graphical novel than a game. There is no gameplay. No puzzles, critical reasoning, and whatnot. I would rather read a book than this non-game. :cry:

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I was thinking of getting it but my cheap-ass sense is tingling. I don't know if I'd pay $30 for a 5-hour long game with 2 endings.[/QUOTE]
Did you pay $20 for Jake Hunter, a 4-hour, bad game with 1 ending?

[quote name='pete5883']Did you pay $20 for Jake Hunter, a 4-hour, bad game with 1 ending?[/QUOTE]

Indeed I did. But it was only $20 and I traded it into Lamestop to make it even cheaper. Plus I found it fairly enjoyable. I'm still on the fence about paying $30 for this though; I seem to get cheaper and cheaper every day.

[quote name='pete5883']Did you pay $20 for Jake Hunter, a 4-hour, bad game with 1 ending?[/quote]

That's harsh. We all make purchasing mistakes. It's not like she's outright dismissing the game.

[quote name='DQT']That's harsh. We all make purchasing mistakes. It's not like she's outright dismissing the game.[/QUOTE]

Not really harsh at all compared to my posts. :lol: Besides, I found Jake Hunter enjoyable for the grand total of $14 I spent on playing it. I'm still thinking about this one.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Not really harsh at all compared to my posts. :lol: Besides, I found Jake Hunter enjoyable for the grand total of $14 I spent on playing it. I'm still thinking about this one.[/QUOTE]

I liked Jake Hunter (I had a Saburo Jinguuji artbook that I got from a sale), but Time Hollow blows it away. Well worth my money.

Here's a review I posted elsewhere:

Life is full of regrets... "If only I could
have... If only I said... If only I didn't..."
If only we had the power to change
the past.

No, that's not an excerpt of text from the books in Braid, this is...

Time Hollow

Time Hollow OP

This is a new anime-styled adventure game on the DS, from the guys (or at least, the director) that brought you Shadow of Destiny/Memories on the PS2.

Ethankairos.jpg

You star as Ethan Kairos, a boy who wakes up on his 17th birthday to discover that not only are his parents suddenly missing, but apparently they've disappeared 12 years ago. The night before, they mentioned that they had something important to tell you on your 17th birthday. Did that have anything to do with their disappearance?

The only way to get to the bottom of it is the mysterious note and magical hollow pen delivered to you via your cat, Sox. "Go to the school's dump. May 7th...seven hours ago."

Huh? What does that mean?

GAMEPLAY

The game plays out like a classic adventure game, ala Phoenix Wright and Hotel Dusk. The interface is very similar to Phoenix Wright's exploration and dialogue; plenty of text and locations to point and tap through. The interesting thing about these backgrounds though is that you can scroll/move left or right while looking at the "2D" background, and they're dimensionally spaced, so objects in the foreground will shift faster than those in the background. Objects hidden behind foreground shrubs will become visible, and you can see different angles into a doorway. It's a very neat effect.

Ethan experiences flashbacks of the past. These are memories that are affected by every change in time, but these are also memories that, once you discover their correct time and place, you can alter with the Hollow Pen. Once it glows, time will freeze, and drawing a circle in the right spot will open a portal to the past.

A past which you can alter.

94334920080714screen010tx3.jpg

The top is a flashback, and the bottom is the present. In this instance, there is a box and a note in the past which you can pick up from the past, which wasn't available in the future because the garbage was disposed.

But be careful of how you alter the past, because each alteration will have a butterfly effect with unforseen consequences. Ethan will retain his memories, but he will also gain new memories as the present changes around him due to these alterations. You have to use these new memories/flashbacks to solve the mystery of the disappearance of your parents.

STORY

With all these twists in time, you need to think fourth dimensionally to wrap your head around all these changes to the past and present. For instance, there was a traffic accident where a fridge fell off a truck and killed a girl riding her bike. To fix this, you may disable her bike, but this ends with the fridge falling and crushing a poor little puppy dog instead.

Then, when you save the dog, it later causes your dog-hating friend to become startled and angry, ending up with him murdering the girl on bike's boyfriend. You get the point.

Speaking of friends, the character list is pretty limited (around 12 characters) but each character earns their place with personality. You have your closest buds; Vin Threet, a former basketball star with a career ending injury, Ben Fourier, the glasses-wearing kid with a crush on the girl on a bike, and Morris Fivet, a overly-studious guy that's being pressured by his parents.

KoriTwelves.JPG

And Kori Twelves, who suddenly appeared in your life as a student, but you don't remember her at all in your previous timeline.

(Yes, almost all the character's last names are numbers of the clock.)

While the game is somewhat short (5-10 hours) and linear (there are alternate things you can do which don't really affect the overall ending) and even with an alternate ending (new game+ where you start off with all your memories and you can solve the "mystery" within 10 minutes), I enjoyed it. The way time played out reminded me so much of Shadow of Destiny. The way dialogue is handled is very Phoenix Wright'ish, except instead of sprites, you have a wide variety of close-up anime facial emotes to convey the conversation. The music is decent, with a few remixes of the intro music thrown in there. The puzzles are a bit on the simple side, because it can be obvious what needs to be changed, but it's great for those who play these for the story and the experience.

Nice review. I definitely prefer gamer/fan reviews to "professional" ones; you often get a more passionate and in-depth look at how the game actually works. Also love the comparisons to Shadow of Destiny (made by the same people). I'll pick this up if I have time between playing DQIV DS and the release of Star Ocean PSP; if not, during another downtime between releases.

I'm worried that if I wait too long on this, this game is going to be sold out everywhere and I'm skeptical this game will get a reprint like Phoenix Wright and Hotel Dusk.

So I decided to pick up a copy today. Did all the copies come in shrink wrap? Not the really nice ones that are folded at the top and bottom, but the ones with a sealed end on one side (maybe from a shrink wrap machine that they have).

[quote name='DQT']I'm worried that if I wait too long on this, this game is going to be sold out everywhere and I'm skeptical this game will get a reprint like Phoenix Wright and Hotel Dusk.[/quote]

You're right about that. Konami DS games doesn't stay in print that long.

I'm playing this right now, and I think this would make a great anime series, or live action.

And the soundtrack is kinda creepy. Overall, I'm loving the game.

Started this yesterday, finished it today. I liked it, but it was no Shadow of Destiny.

Didn't realize Junko Kawano of Suikoden fame was responsible for both games.

Started this game sometime last week and finished it last night. I really had to push myself to finish. In some ways, it reminds me of the poorly done LifeSigns: Surgical Unit, in that you spend far too much time visiting locales of very low interest and relevancy, only in hopes of finding someone to talk to so you can trigger the storyline. It gets old fast.

The storyline itself is strong. The concept of the Hollow Pen and moving through time is quite the compelling one, and the characters feel alive through the DS. The tragedies and joys are rich, and you'll find yourself plodding through this interactive novel only to find out what happens next. There is very little game to speak of, and it becomes quickly obvious what a missed opportunity Time Hollow really is.

Well the ways I sees it, is that there are two main adventure game styles. Those that focus heavily on puzzles, and those that play more like interactive novels.

I like both, my only complaint with Time Hollow is that it's so damn short, and like most adventure games there really isn't any replayability there.

bread's done
Back