Time Pilot Appreciation Thread!

Darkside Hazuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Start appreciating, dammit!

There's a bunch of (potentially) good stuff coming out tomorrow, but I'll be playing this the most. Assuming it isn't FUBAR like Pac-Man and Galaga.

Accurate emulation test #1:
Just before you warp to the next stage, position your fighter vertically (nose up). It'll turn orange for an instant before it dissappears.

I can honestly say that I've never played this game. But that won't stop me from arguing that this is exactly how I remember it in the arcade when it releases. :)

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Never played it/heard of it. Will DL demo and go from there.[/quote]

Someone is showing their age. ;)

Me too I guess.

If this is the same game that was on the Konami Arcade cart for GBA, then I might pick it up. Of course I'll have to test drive the demo first.

The only old school shooter that beats Time Pilot is Gyruss. But in it's day Time Pilot was #1.

I think I made it to the flying saucer stage. I was like 6 at the time. I can't get nearly as far on the GBA I think the screen is to small. Of course, I beat Gyruss on the GBA!!!

So no one got it yet? I was up till 1:30am and it wasn't up yet. I haven't heard anything good on the "other" boards, just wondering on CAG opinions.

I like it.

It features "enhanced" graphics a la Frogger. It also lists enhanced sound as well.

I don't know how arcade accurate it is because I was half asleep at 7 AM when I downloaded it.

[quote name='terribledeli']I like it.

It features "enhanced" graphics a la Frogger. It also lists enhanced sound as well.

I don't know how arcade accurate it is because I was half asleep at 7 AM when I downloaded it.[/quote]

How do the enhanced graphics look, the pictures that i've seen are the old stuff and it doesn't look appealing.

I picked it up...it came out around 2am pst (gotta love MS's "punctuality" with their arcade releases).

Anyways, the demo reminded me of how much fun this game was...I immediately picked it up after trying out the first level. Konami gave it the "frogger" treatment: option for enhanced graphics (which isn't that bad), screen resize, and choice of difficulty/ships amount. Also, there were options for online multi and coop, but I didn't get to try them yet.

A couple gripes...you must use the default options to unlock achievements (no biggie), and a big one: can't save your high scores (inexcusable, and I hope this gets fixed). Other than that, the gameplay rocks...pretty funny to see what konami thought the ships of 2001 would look like, lol.

FANTASTIC!

This is what a retro release should be.

Great control, nice enhanced graphics that actually add to the experience, and some nice new music and sound effects too.

Acheivement whores take note: I polished off 9 of the 12 in my first game. Would've been eleven if I was aware of the requirements. Only one is especially difficult to get, and won't take too much practice. An easy 200 points.

Two caveats: The aforementioned lack of scoreboard retention (only a minor complaint, as the XBL scoreboard is there anyway), and the icon that represents the game on the dashboard could not possibly be more rudimentary.

A big thanks to Konami for not fucking this up. :applause:

Althought I haven't purchased it, I can see how it was quite fun when it first came out.
Plus, it was very fun.

[quote name='freestyledust77']I had that on my colecovision way back in the day, that game and mouser were the best on that system![/QUOTE]

We are both showing our age. :)

I enjoyed it on coleco, but can't do anything with gba version of it.

Fantastic job on this one. The controls are great the new graphics and sounds are ok. This is only the third XBLA game I've bought (geometry wars being one and uno being the other) so that's saying something.

Man, this makes it tough to not have a 360. I probably put enough quarters in Time Pilot machines back in the day to buy a 360 cash but oh well.

Let the nitpicking commence!

Co-op. You can see the other's game as you play. BUT...you can also HEAR it! There's a lot of noise in Time Pilot, with sounds for the arrival of a parachute, the capture of a parachute, and the arrival of a squadron in addition to all the shooting and explosions. If you actively listen for those cues, it's going to confuse you a bit. As will the "lag". It's not lag in the traditional sense. Co-op seems to drop a few frames to keep the action running smooth. You won't notice until you go back to single player, and spend five minutes getting shot down while you re-adjust.

I found getting the Perfection achievement easier with the traditional graphics. Bigger sprites in 1940 makes the planes easier to hit. HOWEVER, 2001 is significantly harder with the old school look, so I'll probably keep it on Enhanced from here on out.

The sound effects are a mixed bag. Some of the enhanced noises are more accurate than the old ones are. Except the sound of a plane exploding on enhanced greatly resembles the snare drum pad of an old Casio keyboard. Weird.

I'm still enjoying this despite all that. Actually got a sore thumb getting the Perfection achievement. 'Been YEARS since that happened.

I liked the game when I first played it and I was pleasently surprised to see that this was a good port. Definately reccomended for fans.

I never played this game before either but I really like it. Achievements were too easy in my opinion. I'm still working on the perfection one though. I really wish there were more levels because the game is pretty fun.

I would also like to make a recommendation for everyone to download the trial and give this game some lovin'. It's pretty awesome for 400 points, and my only gripe is the achivements are easy, with the exception of perfection which I'm still striving for.

So what's everyone's high score? I haven't hit the perfection acheivement yet, but I got mostly through twice and a score of about 240,000. I think I was around 600 on the leaderboard...

bread's done
Back