Time travel, will it ever happen?

Quintox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
This has been posted on ATOT, and it got me thinking and I was curious what CAG thought.

Do you think it will ever be possible? Honestly, I don't think so.

It depends how long life in the universe lasts. If it lasts 1,000,000,000,000 more years, I'm sure we'll find a way to do it. I just don't think things will be around long enough.

Well the only way I ever see it happening is if we time travel into the future and get the technology to make time machines and then come back into the past and build them, then again we would never be able to go into the future to get the technology to go into the future unless we already had the technology in the past, AHHHH the time travel logic is making my head hurt.

[quote name='Pancake Rabbit']5 posts and not a single back to the future reference?

For shame.[/QUOTE]
Because no one else drives 88 miles per hour. Besides us time travelers that is.

if it were possible then somebody would've came back in time already. the only way it could be possible is if the time travelers have travelled to the future and not the past.

[quote name='Cracka']if it were possible then somebody would've came back in time already. the only way it could be possible is if the time travelers have travelled to the future and not the past.[/QUOTE]

How do you know that we, err, THEY haven't come back already?

[quote name='Sleepkyng'] jesus christ almighty.[/QUOTE]

Thats your problem right there. If we ever become capable to travel at the speed of light then maybe yes we could.

time isn't a real thing. sorry to burst the bubble - it's a concept.

things don't move forward in any particular way, and so there is no particular way to move them backwards.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']time isn't a real thing. sorry to burst the bubble - it's a concept.

things don't move forward in any particular way, and so there is no particular way to move them backwards.[/quote] Are you being serious

As cool as it would sound... No, I don't want it to happen, why? I don't want idiots going back in time and fucking everything up. It's bad enough it happens now in this time. Other than that watch Time Cop and get back to me. (yeah yeah... just ignore Van damn)

[quote name='Quintox']I also wonder if the sun has been burned out already or not[/quote]

Assuming you are talking about our solar systems sun then no it has not burned out. It only takes light approximately 8.33 minutes to travel to earth.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']time isn't a real thing. sorry to burst the bubble - it's a concept.

things don't move forward in any particular way, and so there is no particular way to move them backwards.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Time is a measurement that we made up. Time doesn't actually exist, so how could we use it as a vessel for transportation?

[quote name='rabbitt']I agree. Time is a measurement that we made up. Time doesn't actually exist, so how could we use it as a vessel for transportation?[/QUOTE]

Well it comes down to what you believe. If you believe in only one plain of existence then they're no time travel for you. The biggest problem with us as a human race is the fact that we don't know. We have no idea about life, this blue marble, or outer space. We act like we know stuff but at the end of the day we have no idea.

Only what we don't know might get answered when we die.

[quote name='Graystone']Well it comes down to what you believe. If you believe in only one plain of existence then they're no time travel for you. The biggest problem with us as a human race is the fact that we don't know. We have no idea about life, this blue marble, or outer space. We act like we know stuff but at the end of the day we have no idea.

Only what we don't know might get answered when we die.[/quote]

GONG!

and like a hushed breeze in the night, he disappeared, leaving only his words of wisdom.

[quote name='Graystone']Well it comes down to what you believe. If you believe in only one plain of existence then they're no time travel for you. The biggest problem with us as a human race is the fact that we don't know. We have no idea about life, this blue marble, or outer space. We act like we know stuff but at the end of the day we have no idea.

Only what we don't know might get answered when we die.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't necessarily call it a problem, but yeah, I know where you're coming from with that. I think I like the idea that we don't know enough to understand these huge concepts, however, we're still able to end the human race with things like nuclear weapons. Or, at least, the human race as we know it.

[quote name='rabbitt']I wouldn't necessarily call it a problem, but yeah, I know where you're coming from with that. I think I like the idea that we don't know enough to understand these huge concepts, however, we're still able to end the human race with things like nuclear weapons. Or, at least, the human race as we know it.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Sleepkyng']GONG!

and like a hushed breeze in the night, he disappeared, leaving only his words of wisdom.[/QUOTE]

Its all to easy to end human life. For we are fragile creatures.

;) :D

There is time travel, and it's available right now!
Check this out:

now check your watch again, you've just traveled in time! Admittedly, this is very limited in scope and application.

Seriously though, as a SF fan I am intrigued by time travel and the paradoxes/conundrums it could cause. (Read "By His Bootstraps". Excellent story.) But there are lots of ideas as to what could happen.
* Parallel universe--each time someone goes into the past they are either generating or discovering a parellel universe.
* Resistance theory--the universe actively resists any major changes.
* Inertia theory--time and history is so "big", it would take an effectively impossibly major effort and major changes to cause one real change, esp for bigger things such as wars.
I honestly don't know if it will ever truly happen, but I do like to read about it.

"Time" was considered a measurable thing with the beginning of agriculture, eh?

If you think hard about it, you have no idea what it is past your daily schedule and relations of things to "it" (i.e. seeing an old person and thinking they've been alive for a long time, seeing a counter on an rpg game showing how much time you spent on it) This goes for every one. there isn't even proof of the existence of time, apart from these relative concepts...

*has listened to too many NPR programs about guys who try to figure out how to do it.

I shouldn't say it can't happen, actually. It can. You just have to have negative mass somehow. Then you're easily able to (in fact, you have to) move faster than light.

If time doesn't exist then things wouldn't die, and people wouldn't age. Yes time is something we use to keep track of things. But its also a feasible thing that exists.

time is not a feasible thing that exists, it is a contextual tool that you use to organize your experience of existing.

theoretically, people don't age, things don't die - because it's all the same stuff.

unless you fall back on the bejeebus theory.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']
theoretically, people don't age, things don't die [/QUOTE]

If things don't die why do we cease to exist?
If things don't age why do our bodies change?

because all of that matter, all of those atoms get reassmbled as other stuff.

that particular formation changes, but the song remains the same - carbon, nitrogen, iron, blah blah blah.

[quote name='Graystone']If things don't die why do we cease to exist?
If things don't age why do our bodies change?[/QUOTE]

aging has nothing to do with time. it's more about the biological process than the passage of time. time is just a label for certain things. saying you are 50 years old is easier than saying the current biological state your body is in, but that doesn't mean there is a process of time pushing any of that forward, it's just cause and effect.

there are theories and all that around, but I can't say I honestly believe we will be able to go to different points in existence that already happened.

Traveling to a different dimension, parallel universe, alternate reality etc. seems more feasible to me than going back to say, yesterday, in our current reality. and I don't necessarily believe in those...

Unless of course, the whole theme to that alternate dimension is that it's yesterday in our present reality. shit, I just gave myself a headache. >_

[quote name='jmcc']I shouldn't say it can't happen, actually. It can. You just have to have negative mass somehow. Then you're easily able to (in fact, you have to) move faster than light.[/QUOTE]Particles have been found that have a negative energy, and therefore, negative mass, since matter and energy are one and the same.

I definitely believe that time travel is possible.

[quote name='LiquidNight']Particles have been found that have a negative energy, and therefore, negative mass, since matter and energy are one and the same.

I definitely believe that time travel is possible.[/QUOTE]Cite?

[quote name='jmcc']Cite?[/QUOTE]I can't find anything online, sorry. I heard this at a modern physics lecture that my physics teacher arranged for us (the students) last year.

Don't quote me though, because the lecture was part of a series, and I only got to hear one portion of it, due to there being so many students. He may have just been talking about them theoretically or something =/.

Regardless though, I believe that time travel is possible. Whether or not we should travel through time, however, is something completely different.

If You Move Faster Than Light Your Mass = Inf and then you will only see other light nothing will be a real stable form until you stop and you can't go to the future but possibly just watch what has already happened. You see light not the moment.

[quote name='Apossum']aging has nothing to do with time. it's more about the biological process than the passage of time. time is just a label for certain things. saying you are 50 years old is easier than saying the current biological state your body is in, but that doesn't mean there is a process of time pushing any of that forward, it's just cause and effect.
[/QUOTE]

This thread could go on for ages. Well only if time existed.

bread's done
Back